More NHL points Michalek vs Balej

Status
Not open for further replies.

kingpest19

Sep 21, 2004
Having seen balej play several times in juniors and never seeing michalek play im going to go with michalek. everything ive read and heard points to him being a good player. Several times in juniors i saw balej play and he never stood out against players in his age group. Yes he was a point a game player but when you dont impress vs your own age group its hard to say that youll do good in higher levels

NYRangers

Aug 11, 2004
Michalek

Balej will be lucky to score 25 at any point in his career, and he's not an assist guy.

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
jesus does a hab prospect's ranking go high when there traded, Balej wasn't even that high on our depth chart and all of a sudden you guys put him in the same sentense with Mikalek :shakehead

Vic Rattlehead*

Michalek.

I don't even think Balej will have a good NHL career.

NYC Aim 4588

Well being a NYR fan its obvious the right choice is Michalek.

I never considered or heard of Balej b4 he was brought here and with seeing him he is no more than a 2nd liner with a potential 40-50 per season that is hoping NYR gets lucky, overall I see a 20 goal scorer give or take here and there. But yet to see him look like has it but its really to early to judge.

ftyutin51

Jul 2, 2004
Huntington Bay, NY
Anksun said:
Thanks you, i had an awesome time laughing.

I agree with your sentiment that Michalek should be better though.

What was so funny about what he said? If Balej uses his skills to his full potential, he CAN be like another Alex Kovalev. Why? Well, for 1 reason, Balej has fast hands used for deking. Another reason, Balej is good in corners; he doesn't just float around, he actually sticks his head in there and fight for the puck. A third reason, Balej is a pretty good skater, he skates fast too and is from what I saw, he's pretty relentless too and doesn't get knocked off the puck right away. Kovalev (when he isn't lazy. :shakehead ) is all of those.

** My vote goes to Michalek though. The kid is a star or superstar in the making. Just hope he doesn't get more injuries or he will be like Simon Gagne..

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
i'd qualify that kovalev comparison by saying he'd be a poor man's kovalev...very poor perhaps...kovalev is amazingly skilled, he just doesn't have any damn consistancy or hockey smarts

but in general, balej is a slick stickhandler with a real nice shot, good skating, and he's tough...despite not being real big, he takes hits like they're nothing, and is willing to go into the traffic areas. but in response to the original question...michalek has more upside and as long as injuries don't derail his career, he can be a 1st liner and put up some good point totals. Balej is more like a 2nd liner because while he's skilled, he just doesn't quite have that high end skill. 50-60 points career high for balej probably. michalek could probably net 70-90

Corey

If Balej's past AHL season is an inkling of his potential, he'll be nothing special. He's already 24 and will be competing for a job in the NHL. Michalek is much more highly regarded. As for Kovalev, Bob Gainey thought so highly of AK that he traded Balej for him and then was persistent in trying to re-sign him--at $4.5M for 4 years no less. Let's see if Balej is still in the NHL in 2010. Kovalev will.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Corey said:
If Balej's past AHL season is an inkling of his potential, he'll be nothing special. He's already 24 and will be competing for a job in the NHL. Michalek is much more highly regarded. As for Kovalev, Bob Gainey thought so highly of AK that he traded Balej for him and then was persistent in trying to re-sign him--at $4.5M for 4 years no less. Let's see if Balej is still in the NHL in 2010. Kovalev will.

Balej is 23.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
NYRangers said:
Michalek

Balej will be lucky to score 25 at any point in his career, and he's not an assist guy.

Not an assist guy? News to me. Hes been a pretty decent playmaker throughout his whole career.

Anksun

Dec 13, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
For god sake, my post was not an intend to take Balej down. But he's nothing close to Kovalev in term of potential or talent.

Unless you mean Balej can do what Kovalev can do with 1 or 2 guy(s) on his back, then i agree.

That doesnt mean i think Balej doesnt have a shoot at the nhl as a talented forward. He have a shoot at been a decent 2nd liner capable of scoring some highlight goals.

Edit: And unless you mean Balej using his talent = NY rangers-Kovalev, it's still laughable (sp? sorry for my english)

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004

well hopefully kovalev plays well for you...he's excruciatingly frustrating if he's not playing well. he's easily, EASILY, one of if not the most talented players in the league, but sometimes you just don't know *** he's doing or thinking.

and balej's last AHL season wasn't a good one for him and i think is probably somewhat an aberration.

FLYLine27*

BUCH
Nov 9, 2004
NY
Levitate said:
well hopefully kovalev plays well for you...he's excruciatingly frustrating if he's not playing well. he's easily, EASILY, one of if not the most talented players in the league, but sometimes you just don't know *** he's doing or thinking.

and balej's last AHL season wasn't a good one for him and i think is probably somewhat an aberration.

I wouldn't even put much into last season, Balej is pretty much a one way player (which isn't a bad thing), playing that defensive style in Hartford wasn't his piece of cake, im sure he did get a little better defensively so in all he might have improved his overall game. Im really looking forward watching him in the NHL next season, hes been a pretty decent player his whole career starting in the WHL...one season doesn't really hold that much in my books.

IMO Balej will be a 2nd liner in the NHL for years to come.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad