More likely: Oilers make playoffs or Penguins miss playoffs?

More likely: Oilers make playoffs or Penguins miss playoffs?

• Oil make playoffs

• Penguins miss playoffs

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jot

Mar 10, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Voted Oilers make playoffs.

I dont know why, my mind simple cannot conceive or believe that 2 times in a row Stanley cup winning team "Pittsburgh Penguins" missing the playoffs.

I just can't see it happening.

OilCanada92

May 1, 2009
Edmonton, Alberta
The Oilers are usually pretty good against the Pacific. They have a lot of games left against their division and they seem to be playing better. I'd say there's a small chance they make the playoffs.

At the same time, I'll be shocked if the Penguins miss the playoffs.

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
Don't like the way the pens have played, but they're not going to miss. Pens have made it 11 years in a row (active record) and Crosby-Malkin are still elite. Even now they have as many or more ROW than every team in the metro other than the caps, and have the 26th PDO in the league. Pittsburgh's going to have a big second half imo.

Edmonton is also at the bottom in PDO so they're better than their record as well. Pacific is terrible so it wouldn't be surprising to see them turn it around and make it.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Personally, I think Edmonton has about a 25% chance at the playoffs, while Pittsburgh has a 40% chance of missing the playoffs.

Habs10025

Sep 28, 2017
Pittsburgh Penguins will make the playoffs Edmonton Oilers will not make the playoffs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins on the year have a 5.33 ES shooting% and a .957 PDO, yet they're only 2 points out of a playoff spot. Both of those stats would be the lowest of all time since the stat has started to be tracked, while their 5v5 save% would be the 5th lowest of all time since the stat started to be tracked. I'm thinking their level of play right now is extremely unsustainable. They're going to make the playoffs because it would be historic if nothing changes with respect to their PDO. Any improvement on their PDO puts them safely in the playoffs.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Seeing as how both teams are currently out of the playoffs, I'd say the team missing the playoffs is more likely...

... Because common sense.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Seeing as how both teams are currently out of the playoffs, I'd say the team missing the playoffs is more likely...

... Because common sense.

That's not really common sense because we're less than 35 games into the season. That's actually pretty illogical, considering how tightly packed teams are right now and how many games are left in the season.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
That's not really common sense because we're less than 35 games into the season. That's actually pretty illogical, considering how tightly packed teams are right now and how many games are left in the season.

He asked what was more likely, and using logic, yes, that is more likely. I'm not saying Pens wont make it or that the Oilers will. I'm saying logically, the Pens are currently way more likely to miss than the Oilers are to make.

... And I wont even get into the point that's been stressed for years about how little playoff teams change after Thanksgiving, and even moreso after New Years.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
He asked what was more likely, and using logic, yes, that is more likely. I'm not saying Pens wont make it or that the Oilers will. I'm saying logically, the Pens are currently way more likely to miss than the Oilers are to make.

... And I wont even get into the point that's been stressed for years about how little playoff teams change after Thanksgiving, and even moreso after New Years.

Sorry I misread what you said, I thought you meant it was more likely for the Penguins to miss the playoffs than for the Penguins to make the playoffs. I was being dumb, disregard my comment :laugh:

Reactions: WingsMJN2965

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad