More Cuts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
littleHossa said:
"pros" are people too, the year the Devils won the cup every other coach the next year was playing the trap, some are lambs and aren't smart enough to create a system of their own and just follow someone else's. Smetimes it can be like cooking by following the cookbook to the letter without adding your own improvements, and that's something that some of the posters here are scared of happening if Sutter doesn't really know what he's doing.

Eric Fehr is a RW .. Anthony Stewart, Jeff Carter (playing RW) and Corey Perry beat him out for the 3 offensive RW spots, Bergeron may even play the RW spot as well ..

Ladd is a LW .. Fehr had to beat out a RW for a roster spot and did not do it ..Plain and Simple .. Do not need to be a Rocket scientist to solve this ..

but it is strange that the majority of the team is WHL, the Top 2 scorers in the Dub Stone and Fehr were cut ..

Boilers*

Big Deaner said:
For once I agree with you, what a joke. These arent Canada's best players

Well if you looked at Calgary's roster last year you'd have laughed had someone suggested they'd get as far as they would. I have complete faith in Sutter's direction. And if Canada loses to the U.S. then Shremps stock is gonna rise. Win/Win I say.

The team could have no returning players at all next year. That would have to be a first if it occurred. If there is a seaon next year, Crosby is probably close to a lock to make it and Barker probably has a decent chance of making the Hawks.

Other than the lack of continuity, those who made it aren't that shocking. There are always some lesser heralded players who make it over better NHL prospects and catch everyone by surprise. Which is why it's usually hard to predict the correct roster before camp starts.

Enoch

This is my boomstick
Jul 2, 2003
Cookeville TN
markov` said:
As usual. Sutter may be the best GM in the world, he's a human and can make mistakes. I just feel he is doing too many mistakes right now.

It was a joke to invite Ladd at the camp. Now he makes the team.

Sutter will get his grinders and favorites at all costs. Frasier, is just another example. Regardless, he is a good coach and will get his team to play just as hard....

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The Messenger said:
Eric Fehr is a RW .. Anthony Stewart, Jeff Carter (playing RW) and Corey Perry beat him out for the 3 offensive RW spots, Bergeron may even play the RW spot as well ..

Ladd is a LW .. Fehr had to beat out a RW for a roster spot and did not do it ..Plain and Simple .. Do not need to be a Rocket scientist to solve this ..

but it is strange that the majority of the team is WHL, the Top 2 scorers in the Dub Stone and Fehr were cut ..

I think Sutter isn't looking at the positions right now. Every one can play everywhere. Crosby was inteviewed on RDS and he said he didn't care to play LW, because there is just a little change in the defensive zone. In the offensive zone, Sutter use a 1st forward/2nd forward/3rd forward system. So Sutter just picked the 13th best forwards in his opinion, not the 4 best RW, 4 best centers, 4 best LW.

looooob

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
littleHossa said:
"pros" are people too, the year the Devils won the cup every other coach the next year was playing the trap, some are lambs and aren't smart enough to create a system of their own and just follow someone else's. Smetimes it can be like cooking by following the cookbook to the letter without adding your own improvements, and that's something that some of the posters here are scared of happening if Sutter doesn't really know what he's doing.

I guess my answer to this is that Sutter would be a "lamb" if he just picked the players that everyone here seems to think/know are the "best"

Brent Sutter is alot of things, but I doubt hes a "lamb not smart enough to create a system of his own"....he's picked a team that he thinks will win. and he'll either be proven right, or wrong.

a few weeks ago people were up in arms that Sutter picked too many WHLers, now the complaint seems to be (in part) he cut the wrong WHLers....he's clearly got a vision for this team. Is it the right one? we'll see

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
For anyone who thinks the Canada's coach knows everything and always make the right selection...

Tell me why we haven't won the gold since 1997, and each year, we have clearly the best pool of player? There's a problem somewhere.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
markov` said:
HA HA HA HA HA. I just can't believe what I'm seeing.

Fraser and LADD! over Fehr.

:lol::lol::lol:

That just proves my point.

I think it demonstrates that you're way too low on Ladd ;)

I don't know how you can say it was a joke he was invited, BTW. He's a very good, versatile player. I completely disagree with comment on the camp and think it is unfair. As for him making the team, well that's a much more difficult question. Especially since I didn't see the camp. I don't know how Ladd looked there but I think the hottest players there should make it.

I have to agree with another poster, Ladd doesn't get any respect lately. I do not understand why.

Eldrick

Apr 23, 2004
markov` said:
For anyone who thinks the Canada's coach knows everything and always make the right selection...

Tell me why we haven't won the gold since 1997, and each year, we have clearly the best pool of player? There's a problem somewhere.
How many of those years was Sutter the coach though? Sutter almost does know everything, track record proves it.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
I think it demonstrates that you're way too low on Ladd ;)

I don't know how you can say it was a joke he was invited, BTW. He's a very good, versatile player. I completely disagree with comment on the camp and think it is unfair. As for him making the team, well that's a much more difficult question. Especially since I didn't see the camp. I don't know how Ladd looked there but I think the hottest players there should make it.

I have to agree with another poster, Ladd doesn't get any respect lately. I do not understand why.

Well... maybe I watched just the wrong games. I saw 5 or 6 games of Ladd, and didn't liked him. In my mocks draft I had him outside of the top 10. I saw him this year, and still don't liked him. He's a good skater & grinder, but if his stats were high last year, it was because of Getzlaf. Plus the fact that I didn't like his play when I saw him, he has poor stats this year. IMO he won't be anything more than a fourth liner in the NHL... but maybe I didn't saw Ladd's best games.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
markov` said:

That's an interesting question. Personally, I think the selection process is often downright awful. But unlike you, I don't dislike it this year.

One of the reason we have had troubles at the WJC is probably the increased competition. Really, the hottest team is going to win it in such a short tournament. And there's lots of quality everywhere.

The second reason is that Canada often makes the mistake of sending in its best NHL hopes instead of sending its best junior players. I like to bring back Simon Gamache every time this comes up. He should have been invited a few years ago, would have made the team if team Canada was smart and probably would have been the tournament's top scorer.

But no. He couldn't do this because he wasn't considered a good NHL prospect :shakehead

I am reminded of a defensemen like Ian White. When Canada gives a chance to players who have less of a "top NHL profile" like this defenseman, they can do very, very well. Ian White was very good for team Canada.

Team Canada is too focused on NHL hype. They invite players who have zero impact like P-M Bouchard simply based on the fact he made the NHL. That shouldn't be what it's about.

It should be about the best players *at that level* and *at that moment*, IMO.

But this year I can't complain. There was a lot of quality to choose from and it was an automatic that several great players would not make it. A testament to our depth.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com
markov` said:
Well... maybe I watched just the wrong games. I saw 5 or 6 games of Ladd, and didn't liked him. In my mocks draft I had him outside of the top 10. I saw him this year, and still don't liked him. He's a good skater & grinder, but if his stats were high last year, it was because of Getzlaf. Plus the fact that I didn't like his play when I saw him, he has poor stats this year, but maybe I didn't saw Ladd's best games.

I agree. I'm just not a fan of Ladd. I've seen him play and have come away unimpressed every time I've watched him. Everyone has their own opinion of each player. Maybe mine will change with Ladd in the future, maybe it won't. Hell, I was never impressed by Corey Perry before, but the last few times I've seen him play, he's impressed me more and more. So maybe I'll warm up to Ladd too.

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Vlad The Impaler said:
That's an interesting question. Personally, I think the selection process is often downright awful. But unlike you, I don't dislike it this year.

One of the reason we have had troubles at the WJC is probably the increased competition. Really, the hottest team is going to win it in such a short tournament. And there's lots of quality everywhere.

The second reason is that Canada often makes the mistake of sending in its best NHL hopes instead of sending its best junior players. I like to bring back Simon Gamache every time this comes up. He should have been invited a few years ago, would have made the team if team Canada was smart and probably would have been the tournament's top scorer.

But no. He couldn't do this because he wasn't considered a good NHL prospect :shakehead

I am reminded of a defensemen like Ian White. When Canada gives a chance to players who have less of a "top NHL profile" like this defenseman, they can do very, very well. Ian White was very good for team Canada.

Team Canada is too focused on NHL hype. They invite players who have zero impact like P-M Bouchard simply based on the fact he made the NHL. That shouldn't be what it's about.

It should be about the best players *at that level* and *at that moment*, IMO.

But this year I can't complain. There was a lot of quality to choose from and it was an automatic that several great players would not make it. A testament to our depth.

Agree with everything you said, except the Bouchard comment. He's my favorite player and he had his place on the team :). I don't dislike this year. There is just 3 players who doesn't have their place on the team, 2 of them will probably play on the 4th line and the 3rd will be the spare forward. So it won't have a big impact.

And in my honest opinion, if Team Canada wasn't focused on the "hype" like you said, guys like Dany Roussin would have been invited this year for sure, and IMO would be a better fit than some players who are there.

And one could argue that Bernier or Picard or Brule would play a better role than Ladd or MacArthur. But anyway, let's hope Canada win even if I don't like the coach and his decisions.

It may sounds homerism, but IMO the big problem is that there is too many political decisions and they just don't always choose the best player. And if you think there is no political decisions in hockey... then you're wrong. It is a fact.

koivu_11

Mar 17, 2004
Chilliwack, BC
markov` said:
No. Let's pick a coach who have NHL experience and who isn't a CHL coach at the moment. This year would have been the right opportunity with the NHL lockout.

so they were supposed to pick an NHL coach at the same time they picked Sutter when they didn't know if there was an NHL season or not? :joker:

Rumpy

Mar 13, 2002
Saskatchewan
Visit site

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
markov` said:
I think Sutter isn't looking at the positions right now. Every one can play everywhere. Crosby was inteviewed on RDS and he said he didn't care to play LW, because there is just a little change in the defensive zone. In the offensive zone, Sutter use a 1st forward/2nd forward/3rd forward system. So Sutter just picked the 13th best forwards in his opinion, not the 4 best RW, 4 best centers, 4 best LW.

OF COURSE he is looking at positions ..

I will agree that a center can be moved to the wing .. but a RW can't be moved to center and you don't move them to their off wing unless they have already done that many times before and not for a World Tournament..

Fehr is a RW and will be a RW and the position is full .. even to the point that returning players like Carter have to play the wing because of center depth..

His top 3 centers are Crosby, Richards & Getzlaf ..you fill in the wingers ..

Likely Bergeron will line-up with Crosby and Perry (player that beat out Fehr)

he should keep the Dawes - Richards - Stewart line in tact from last year ..

also Getzlaf and Carter played together last year so adding LADD a LW and linemate of Getzlaf makes sence, for chemistry purposes in a short tourney.

and the rest are 4th line energy and checkers ...

Where is the problem .. Steve Bernier a RW was not even envited to Camp because Sutter did not think he could beat out Perry and/or Fehr for THE LAST RW SPOT ...

THIS IS A TEAM .. your positions count 100% in the decision making ..

a 6 year old school girl could fill out this roster .. Where is the problem with all the returnee's there is hardly any guess work at all here ..

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
The Messenger said:
OF COURSE he is looking at positions ..

I will agree that a center can be moved to the wing .. but a RW can't be moved to center and you don't move them to their off wing unless they have already done that many times before and not for a World Tournament..

Fehr is a RW and will be a RW and the position is full .. even to the point that returning players like Carter have to play the wing because of center depth..

His top 3 centers are Crosby, Richards & Getzlaf ..you fill in the wingers ..

Likely Bergeron will line-up with Crosby and Perry (player that beat out Fehr)

he shoould keep the Dawes - Richards - Stewart line in tact from last year ..

also Getzlaf and Carter played together last year so adding LADD a LW and linemate of Getzlaf makes sence ..

and the rest are 4th line energy and checkers ...

Where is the problem .. Steve Bernier a RW was not even envited to Camp because Sutter did not think he could beat out Perry and/or Fehr for THE LAST RW SPOT ...

THIS IS A TEAM .. you positions count 100% in the decision making ..

The top 3 centers are Crosby, Richards and Getzlaf? Funny, because Crosby played LW in the camp.

This is a team and positions aren't part of the process. 9 of the 13 forwards are playing centers in their league. Don't tell me he worried about the positions.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad