Montreal is the worst team in the league.

Intense

Jan 18, 2011
new-york-attorneys.blogspot.com
I've been a fan since my childhood, I'm 32 now. This is hands down the worst roster I have ever seen this franchise ice.

We've maybe had a worst roster in the past, end of the 90s, beginning of the 2000s, but back then there were the injury excuse. Koivu back then with his cancer and all.

This year it's different. We have virtually a full roster, minus Schlemko (who ?). We don't have any excuses.

Center depth - AWFUL

Drouin, Plekanec, Danault and.... ??? Mitchell - LOL !

Winger depth - Mediocre

Defense -TERRIBLE

Weber, Petry, Benn, Mete, Davidson (LOL), Alzner

Minus 20 after 8 games, no defense, no offense, Price is ok I guess but overall this team will finish last. Mark my words.

Shameless Bump ! I started this thread back in October ! Sucks to be right and say I told you so. Just got DOMINATED by the Coyotes who are last in the standings. What does that make us ? The WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE !

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
Shameless Bump ! I started this thread back in October ! Sucks to be right and say I told you so. Just got DOMINATED by the Coyotes who are last in the standings. What does that make us ? The WORST TEAM IN THE LEAGUE !
I think the Oilers for the most part is worse. The only difference between the 2 teams is one has McDavid. Outside of that the Oilers are worse top to bottom.

Reactions: PunkRockLocke

Crazy Cizikas

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2017
A good place
I think the worst of the situation is that there’s nothing too promising regarding prospects. Gonna be really bad for many years.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Habs need a top talent pick this draft. Being last at this time of the year is not a bad thing when Dahlin may be the prize.

Same goes to Ottawa, Buffalo, or Arizona. The days of 5 year rebuilds are over.

Help

Can I help you?
Apr 8, 2011
HELP HELP HELP
Despite the record, and how frustrating they can be to watch, they do generate a lot of chance and get beat on an awful lot of nights as a result of poor fortune and goaltending. I like the current edition of the team more than most, and I'm also fond of the way the 2018-19 edition is shaping up

Some positives:
  • Their 6.10 sh% at 5on5 cannot last (since 2007, only 5 teams have maintained a sh% worse than the 2017-18 Habs through a full season)

• Goaltending from Price has been substandard to say the least. He's 6th worst among starters in 5on5 save%. Like the shooting issues, you can't expect that to continue either. If it does, then you've got 10.5M bigger problems

• Brendan Gallagher, Artturi Lehkonen, and Charles Hudon are all understated scoring chance generation monsters on the wing. Gallagher and Lehkonen place 2nd and 5th in the league in ixGF/60!
  • Victor Mete! That's all. Not much more needs to be said there. Pretty good that guy

• The PP is actually looking pretty good now that they aren't funneling everything through Shea Weber. Alex Galchenyuk is a weapon

• Capspace. Lots and lots of capspace going into next season. Go and buy yourself something nice

But fret not, negative-nancys and Habs dislikers, there's a ton of negatives too!
  • No centres. You know this, I know this. Let's not get into this

• Can't really acquire them via free agency, so all that aforementioned capspace doesn't really do any good if you want to find a #1

• Cap situation becomes dire after 2018-19. What darling contracts they do have (Pacioretty, Gallagher, Danault, Byron, Galchenyuk, Lehkonen, Hudon) will have come to an end, or will be coming to an end shortly. The bad contracts they have (Price, Weber, Shaw, Alzner) will all be very much alive

• Immobile D group. The future is fast, and the present is mostly slow

• Prospect pipeline. Pretty disappointing, huh. Noah Juulsen is pretty good, I guess. Poehling is interesting. Not much else to write home about. Not a good thing when your current players are going to be looking for a payday

• Gotta emphasize the cap situation. Could you imagine allocating 18.5M in capspace to Weber and Price (32 and 30 years old respectively) until 2026????? You need not imagine; Hell is real

I had always had a positive outlook about 2017-18 and 18-19, but Marc Bergevin sorta shagged that up with his misdealings in the past couple offseasons. It would be a very different looking club if Weber, Alzner, and that pile of unused capspace were replaced by Subban, Markov, and Radulov. Despite that, I think he, or preferably his successor, could do some patchwork and get this 26th place group into playoff shape. And from then onward it's a very slow death, that can only be prevented by an opposing GM finding it in his heart to take on some real bad contracts and forking out nice young players in return.

The present isn't as bad as it seems, but the future is much, much worse

Dialamo

Fire Rogalski Hire Pepe
Jul 7, 2007
Montreal, QC, Canada
I think the worst of the situation is that there’s nothing too promising regarding prospects. Gonna be really bad for many years.
Depends how the next 2-3 drafts go. Could be 3-5 years like the Devils or longer. GM needs to shake off hubris and rebuild.

no they don't. why do they deserve them?

Cup #25 is a divine right! :sarcasm:

Reactions: Devonator

Damisoph

Jun 29, 2010
I think the Oilers for the most part is worse. The only difference between the 2 teams is one has McDavid. Outside of that the Oilers are worse top to bottom.

yet that difference is massive and makes the Oilers the far superior team in my opinion. No centre depth and a declining Carey Price spells disaster for the Habs in the next few years. The Oilers would be in a much better spot if they had even average PKing at home.

Reactions: Devonator

rent free

Apr 6, 2015
Have not had a 1st overall pick in almost 40 years.
Have not had an elite number 1 center in the past 20 years
does not mean you deserve them. the coyotes haven't had either ever, does that mean they deserve them?

OVO16

#WeTheNorth
Apr 16, 2017
Their forward group is one of the worst I've ever seen. It's legit trash lol

HabsQC

Sep 27, 2008
Gatineau, Quebec
Solid prediction by the OP. I thought Price and Weber would carry us to fught for 8th, but not much more. I mean, wtf was he thinking by not giving Radulov what he wanted ?

I know you guys all say we should rebuild and all and I agree with you guys. But this is Bergevin and this is Montreal. The guy just got older by trading Subban for Weber. He's not going to rebuild for sure.

He's going to say some bullshit to explain this season and then try and sign a forward or two and a defenseman this summer and try again next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->