News Article: Montreal bars face a 1500% increase in broadcasting rights

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
you're not in the bar/restaurant business it shows.

1. there's not enough people going in bars during week nights, it wouldnt be worth it to pay the $ to show the games between monday and thursdays (and even sundays I'd say)
2. Molson (and Labbatt) products are expensive for bar/resto owners, profit margin is ridiculously low (way less than microbeers)
Plus he proposes a cover to watch a hockey game at a bar.

:laugh:

Reactions: ottawa and Amerika

ECWHSWI

TOUGHEN UP.
Oct 27, 2006
Plus he proposes a cover to watch a hockey game at a bar.

:laugh:
well, you can have covers for events in bars/restaurants, but not for hockey/football/NA football/baseball

AND

most bars already have some kind of specials to attract customers for week games.

PuckSeparator

May 18, 2014
Check Republik
The bars that can't cut it will just resort to streaming most likely since you can't not show the game if the guy down the street is.

I don't know, this all seems convoluted and really fishy (and due to the extreme nature of the increase, perhaps legally contestable). I'm really glad I cut my cable, media companies in this countries are complete and absolute scum. [MOD]

Last edited by a moderator:

Toene

Y'en aura pas de facile
Nov 17, 2014
Been reading everyday for a while... Just signed up to give you clear info on this mess.

I own a wood oven pizzeria in rosemont. I used to show habs and impact.
It was just the price of cable. Now, the three groups rds/tsn ( bell media) tva sports (quebecor) sportsnet ( rogers) will start charging according to your liquor licence permit. I have 58 places on my permit. So instead of just paying the business cable service ( base+15 chaines ) it will be 90$ tva sport, 120$ rds/tsn, 100$ sportsnet. And i still need to pay for minimum cable!

i cannot wrap my head around the fact that i will pay close to 4k a year for sports... Can't either think of not showing the games...

It makes No sense business wise, but I might bite the bullet...
It depends on your customers. If they openly show interest for it and they say they want it to remain well it's another story. Ask the customers or even put a iPad with a poll site open on it so when people come for take-out or when they pay after sitting so they vote if they have interest. 4000 is not pocket change for restaurants in Plateau/Rosemont area because the rents are outrageous.

[MOD]

Good luck. There's something charming when you come into a restaurant or café when a Habs/Expo game playing... I dnt know it feels just so classic, couple of guys at the bar half-watching the game, barely talking, sipping on their bucks.

Sad that the Canadiens and the broadcasters like Sportnet and others dont understand that it's in their interest to broadcast it to the most people possible. Imagine you're a tourist visiting town with your family and you dont know much about hockey in your culture but you stop at a place for a bite and it happens to be a very entertaining game that plays that night, Pacioretty scores a hat-trick or something... well maybe this will tickle their interest and theyll look it up and be interested to eventually buy merch like a Habs cap or t-shirt or even go see a game.

It's an outdated business model. Some companies have understood it. Exposure is what counts. The most coverage you can get in social media (Instagram, Facebook, etc.), in places like supermarkets, restaurants, café, etc., the most your brand is recognized and talked about and it leads, exponentially, to even more people that know about your product or your brand. The people that want to enforce this cost raise for the rights dont even understand that if the game plays everywhere in town, their ads will also be shown everywhere in town. Hockey and the NHL especially is a business ran by old mentalities. «The more we charge, the more money we get!» And that's how you lose a generation to soccer, basketball, football, etc. By being outdated in your marketing.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Used to have cable just to watch sports. But streaming to the TV is so easy now. I can’t support these big tech companies anymore, it’s ludicrous. f*** the CRTC too. They are the evil enablers.

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
They should not worry about it, nobody will want to watch the Habs next year anyway.

Be patient and wait till 2019 for the return of Game of The Thrones and your bars will make a bundle.

Yannman

May 25, 2018
It depends on your customers. If they openly show interest for it and they say they want it to remain well it's another story. Ask the customers or even put a iPad with a poll site open on it so when people come for take-out or when they pay after sitting so they vote if they have interest. 4000 is not pocket change for restaurants in Plateau/Rosemont area because the rents are outrageous.

[MOD]

Good luck. There's something charming when you come into a restaurant or café when a Habs/Expo game playing... I dnt know it feels just so classic, couple of guys at the bar half-watching the game, barely talking, sipping on their bucks.

Sad that the Canadiens and the broadcasters like Sportnet and others dont understand that it's in their interest to broadcast it to the most people possible. Imagine you're a tourist visiting town with your family and you dont know much about hockey in your culture but you stop at a place for a bite and it happens to be a very entertaining game that plays that night, Pacioretty scores a hat-trick or something... well maybe this will tickle their interest and theyll look it up and be interested to eventually buy merch like a Habs cap or t-shirt or even go see a game.

It's an outdated business model. Some companies have understood it. Exposure is what counts. The most coverage you can get in social media (Instagram, Facebook, etc.), in places like supermarkets, restaurants, café, etc., the most your brand is recognized and talked about and it leads, exponentially, to even more people that know about your product or your brand. The people that want to enforce this cost raise for the rights dont even understand that if the game plays everywhere in town, their ads will also be shown everywhere in town. Hockey and the NHL especially is a business ran by old mentalities. «The more we charge, the more money we get!» And that's how you lose a generation to soccer, basketball, football, etc. By being outdated in your marketing.
Good stuff thanks!

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
I had it out with them pretty good last year when it came out. At the time it was stupid, it went based on your liquor capacity and not viewing capacity. So even if only a third of your restaurant could see it you’d pay the full restaurant. I also think it’s stupid that TSN and Sportsnet (Bell and Rogers) can have the same insane increase overnight and it not be investigated as price fixing.

Everyone should be fighting this because this is them getting their feet wet for their ultimate goal and that’s PPV in playoffs. They want to eventually charge everyone per game in the playoffs and the price would depend on the match up. Like Habs Leafs they’d jack it up.

Reactions: PuckSeparator

ottawa

Nov 7, 2012
Orléans/Toronto
Won’t bars increase the price of alcohol to try and make up a bit of the difference on what they’re losing?

I highly doubt that...because that means they'll have increased prices on non game nights (Monday, Weds, Friday, Sunday) too so people will go out drinking to bars that don't have the broadcasting license since they'll have cheaper beer.

I'm guessing food will be more expensive like nachos and wings.

Maybe a bar owner can chime in but I can't see a bar pricing themselves out of the market.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

L4br3cqu3

Matter of principle.
Sponsor
May 5, 2002
La Tuque
Wonder if Molson will also augment sport channels broadcasting rights at some point too.

In an utopian future for the Habs, Molson will turn into the reincarnation of Bill Wirtz, and will achieve the plan of MB in turning the Habs into a vintage Blackhawks replica, while serving the best fan experience possible at the Bell Center, in an exclusive way, with 15$ beer and 12$ 'gourmet' hot-dogs.

Reactions: Price is Wright

HuGo Sham

MR. CLEAN-up ©Runner77
Apr 7, 2010
Montreal
Wonder if Molson will also augment sport channels broadcasting rights at some point too.

In an utopian future for the Habs, Molson will turn into the reincarnation of Bill Wirtz, and will achieve the plan of MB in turning the Habs into a vintage Blackhawks replica, while serving the best fan experience possible at the Bell Center, in an exclusive way, with 15$ beer and 12$ 'gourmet' hot-dogs.

....and a consistently unwatchable, shitty team for decades

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
I'm sure the situation is a lot different when you're profiting off their product and not paying a penny because you're steaming.

So sure you're streaming legally, but probably breaking a law elsewhere that could cost more than the $4,000-10,000

True. But there is no legal issue with watching over-the-air signals at this time, none at all. There has actually been a case where an establishment sued Bell for streaming a signal over their 'airspace' without permission. lol

Reactions: Per Sjoblom

Laurentide

Mar 24, 2018
Edmonton, Alberta
Eventually the chickens will come home to roost because there's a limit as to how much people or businesses will pay. It isn't a bottomless pit, no matter what the rights holders believe.

ESPN has been laying on-air personalities off with increasing regularity and Bell Media has shed a lot of people from all of its outlets. Rogers isn't making nearly as much money as they thought they would when they grossly overpaid for the NHL rights. People are cutting the cord and finding other ways to access games. The same thing that happened to the music industry when napster and spotify came along will happen to sports now that android boxes are increasingly a thing.

Reactions: Burke the Legend

groovejuice

Without deviation progress is not possible
Jun 27, 2011
Calgary
I see alot of people bashing Molson/habs organization but I tough this was 100% on Bell Media group ?

Everyone gets a cut. If the broadcasters charge customers more now, then at the next contract negotiations with the media, the NHL and individual teams will charge more for those rights.

Only the customers keep losing.

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
That’s insane. People will have to pre-drink if they want to have any fun at a bar without going broke.

Welcome to Sweden when I grew up, we did a "rotblöta" as we called it and it literally means root soak/drench where I usually had a couple of bottles of cheap wine then went out to face the ladies at the clubs and bought a drink or two. One of the good things when I played gigs at pubs was the free beer.

Reactions: the and nhlfan9191

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad