OT: Montréal Impact Thread : Un changement de Garde

Status
Not open for further replies.

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
This tall CB obsession makes me laugh. Baky was tall, look what happened.

Depuy is tall.

Camara was tall.

It shouldn't even be a criteria. This isn't football nor hockey. As long as the guy can play the ball and position well it doesn't matter. Ciman was shat on because Biello's system, despite showing 4 defenders, only really implied two defenders. The 2 CBs were bound to look like fools when both their fullbacks were all the way up and they were left on breakaways. A slow and tall dude wouldn't have done any more than Ciman.
Well this isn't 80s anymore where you had short CBs like Baresi, Beckenbauer, Koeman nowadays and especially this league is so physical you need a strong CB. Usually taller=stronger. Even if they're short but smart, they get thrown away, lose aerial duals. And a CB that lose an aerial dual looks bad no matter what. If we were playing in a more tactical league it wouldn't matter as much. In other words a short CB is physically limited.

This sounds pretty bad. He could miss a vast portion of the season.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
Stress fractures are godawful. I had periostitis a few times back when I played college rugby. It was horrible. I could play taped like a mummy, but the next few days I needed a wheelchair.

A stress fracture is the next grade of a periostitis. No magic way to heal but complete rest. Can take months.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
It's official now, Barca signed Ballou.

3 yrs + 2 options.

€25M release clause for the first 3 yrs and then it raises to €75M.

No word on how much Barca paid though.

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
It's official now, Barca signed Ballou.

3 yrs + 2 options.

€25M release clause for the first 3 yrs and then it raises to €75M.

No word on how much Barca paid though.

That’s actually crazy money, damn

Would love to the know the transfer amount. Could be millions to acquire a big player

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
i'm no expert in transfer stuff, but if we got a lot of money for a player who could barely make the team in a trashfire team in the MLS, does that mean our trainers/development team is trash and Barca scouted that?

That's kinda how my hockey-minded brain interprets that but I might be wrong

Emanresu Wen

Apr 4, 2010
i'm no expert in transfer stuff, but if we got a lot of money for a player who could barely make the team in a trashfire team in the MLS, does that mean our trainers/development team is trash and Barca scouted that?

“Barely making the team” isn’t the correct way to put it. He did have playtime until his tantrum somewhere mid summer last year.

Ballou has the potential and the tools, that’s what scouts see in him. But then again, Ballou’s heart wasn’t in Montreal, he often seemed to not give a f***.

In short, with the right staff and entourage, Barça can develop him into an excellent soccer player.

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
“Barely making the team” isn’t the correct way to put it. He did have playtime until his tantrum somewhere mid summer last year.

Ballou has the potential and the tools, that’s what scouts see in him. But then again, Ballou’s heart wasn’t in Montreal, he often seemed to not give a ****.

In short, with the right staff and entourage, Barça can develop him into an excellent soccer player.

That's kinda what I meant sorry, like... again it might just be a hockey-minded thing but "not giving a f***" is really REALLY bad to me and should count into an evaluation

Reactions: ShaMu

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal

As EW said, Barcelona didn't invest on him because of how he's been developing so far. They've invested on his huge potential, whatever they paid it's peanuts for them. The impact kind of lucked out on him, they convinced him years ago to come back to their academy knowing very well they're going to end up selling him and make profits.

Ballou needed this transfer. I think he saw himself bigger than the club and wasn't convinced he'd make any progress here. At Barca he's going to be just another young player where he will have to work 100 times harder in order to prove he make it one day to the big league. I just hope we negotiated well and got a good deal.

Reactions: TRG

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
Hope the team made a decent buck on this. It's good publicity/visibility in any case, plus it was always a forgone conclusion that Ballou wouldn't be in Montreal too long, even in a best case scenario where his attitude would have been perfect.

Paul Dipietro

Dec 16, 2009
In a way I'm glad for all the drama and the fact that he didn't really become part of the team. Makes the transfer 100% a win-win

Can you imagine if he had a Piatti-like impact (pardon the pun) and we were forced to let him go?

Tabarouette

ben kin
Jan 28, 2013
mtl
As EW said, Barcelona didn't invest on him because of how he's been developing so far. They've invested on his huge potential, whatever they paid it's peanuts for them. The impact kind of lucked out on him, they convinced him years ago to come back to their academy knowing very well they're going to end up selling him and make profits.

Ballou needed this transfer. I think he saw himself bigger than the club and wasn't convinced he'd make any progress here. At Barca he's going to be just another young player where he will have to work 100 times harder in order to prove he make it one day to the big league. I just hope we negotiated well and got a good deal.

man I guess, thanks for the explanation, this is still unbelievably confusing to me lol

Like just outplay everyone if you think you're bigger than the team... Where you're playing doesn't really matter, you're going to get transfered there even faster if you're that dominant, and probably end up climbing the ranks faster due to your work ethics on top of your talent no? I don't see how giving your current team an "i'm too good for you" attitude makes you look any good in any way

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
man I guess, thanks for the explanation, this is still unbelievably confusing to me lol

Like just outplay everyone if you think you're bigger than the team... Where you're playing doesn't really matter, you're going to get transfered there even faster if you're that dominant, and probably end up climbing the ranks faster due to your work ethics on top of your talent no? I don't see how giving your current team an "i'm too good for you" attitude makes you look any good in any way

We don't know what happened last year when he decided to stay home. Maybe it was also Barcelona that came on knocking, which inflated his ego by 100.

I'm honestly baffled that Barca were even interested. But maybe we here are underrating Ballou's potential after the disappointing season he had last year. Although one should remember that he started strong, then lost his focus along the season.

Reactions: Bask

JunglePete

Jul 21, 2012
Well that goes to show what I was saying a couple of days ago : European clubs do use contract options. Ironic that the technical secretary for Barca B is none other than Jose Mari Bakero. I think that played a little. If his buyout clause is at 25 mil, potentially 75 then I hope IMFC got a good chunk plus a % of a future sale and a friendly against Barca (wishful thinking).... As long as he decides to represent Ivory Coast I could care less how well/bad he's doing. We should've cap tied before cancer Drogba got here.

Adriatic

Feb 27, 2004
We don't know what happened last year when he decided to stay home. Maybe it was also Barcelona that came on knocking, which inflated his ego by 100.

I'm honestly baffled that Barca were even interested. But maybe we here are underrating Ballou's potential after the disappointing season he had last year. Although one should remember that he started strong, then lost his focus along the season.
Why would you be baffled that Barca was interested? All top European clubs like Barca sign a bunch of players like Balou based on their potential for very small amounts. I have no clue but I assume they didn't pay more 5 million, which is basically peanuts for a club like Barcelona. If it pans out great for them, if it doesn't no big deal really.

QuebecPride

May 4, 2010
Sherbrooke, Québec

He was mad because the Impact refused an offer from a Ligue 2 team in France, which was according sofiane benzaza 700K EU

Reactions: Luigi Habs

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
montreal-impact-forward-matteo-mancosu-gets-wrapped-up-in-tape-as-fc-picture-id861748050

upload_2018-1-25_17-59-15.jpeg

I may be the only one. But I want Mancosu to start the season wearing his cast again. It would be like Bob Orton in the 80's.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

adudeonaforum

Oct 14, 2015
Mtl
Even with the multimillion release clause, I still really dont beleive they paid a 7 digit amount for Ballou. But hey, the market has gotten so out of hand in the last years that who knows what a player is worth nowadays? No one.
Whatever they got for him, I think only the publicity the academy is getting out of this is worth it for IMFC.

When you think how he was pissed because we didnt sell him to a Ligue 2 team or something, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->