Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.

NYRGoalieGlut*

The Shwarz thread got me thinking. I don't know anything about goaltender of the future #3 (Blackburn and Lundqvist r #1 and #2). I mean, I know about him playing for Michigan and starting for the USA World Junior champs. As far as his game all I've heard was that he's Charismatic, doesn't like to lose, and handles the puck well. For charismatic we can borrow Steve McKenna from the Pens (is it the Pens?), for someone that doesn't like to lose, we can get almost any hockey player, or hell anyone from any sport or monopoly player (who likes to lose?), and if we want a good puckhandler Jagr would be a great netminder. However whatever happened to what the actual job of a goalie is, to stop the puck, not to play the puck well, although that's a bonus, or to be charismatic (who in the bloody h/ell cares?). Can someone here offer an unbiased overview (which is more than I would get on the Rangers board) of his puck stopping skills?

NYRGoalieGlut*

c'mon can someone help, please? Do people really know more about Shwarz than Montoya, people were replying to that thread/

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
The quick answer: Marty Turco. Montoya's game is very comparable to the former Michigan great and now Dallas #1. It's almost uncanny at times how much he looks like Turco in his Michigan days. Montoya's a little taller than Turco was/is, though.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
Montoya is on the verge of cockiness but he's a good kid, he just likes to challenge his opponents. Schwartz is one of those awesomely acrobatic goaltenders THAT WE NEED MORE OF IF WE DONT WANT OUR SPORT TO GO DOWN THE DRAIN!

NYRGoalieGlut*

PMP5030 said:
The quick answer: Marty Turco. Montoya's game is very comparable to the former Michigan great and now Dallas #1. It's almost uncanny at times how much he looks like Turco in his Michigan days. Montoya's a little taller than Turco was/is, though.

Thanks a lot, I wouldn't mind having a Marty Turco in net.

NYRGoalieGlut*

Leachmeister2000 said:
Montoya is on the verge of cockiness but he's a good kid, he just likes to challenge his opponents. Schwartz is one of those awesomely acrobatic goaltenders THAT WE NEED MORE OF IF WE DONT WANT OUR SPORT TO GO DOWN THE DRAIN!

I agree about Schwarz. I didn't want a goalie in the draft w/ the 6th pick, but if we were gonna get one I wanted Schwarz based on what I heard. I wanted the Richters of the world. I know that Gieguere (sorry for the spelling) was awesome in the playoffs in 2003, but still watching him play goal was like watching a robot. I know that making saves look easy is what makes a goalie look good, but for enterntainment value, I like seeing goalies make saves look hard.

Dantes19

Apr 7, 2003
Long Beach, CA
Visit site
I keep hearing that Schwarz is the "better puckstopper" of the two, which makes me wonder why you wouldn't take the guy who is better at stopping the puck. I know Montoya isn't far behind in that category, but is his puckhandling good enough to warrant selecting him over Schwarz, who seems in consensus to be better at stopping the puck?

Last edited:

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Montoya is a great goalie. Good positioning and reflexes, but isn't what you would call NHL ready now. For instance from what I've seen (NCAA playoffs and WJC) is that he is behind a great defense. Also he is a great puck handler, and he does stop the puck on every low percentage shot I've seen him face (credit the defense here though). But in a few instances I've seem him challenge more that he should. So he isn't afraid at all. But you'll have to work with him. And I don't the Rangers have a full time goalie coach now, maybe thats why Blackburn's (who can handle NHL work and has proven so under and incredibly poor defense, before being overworkeed) fundamental positioning has gotten a little worse. But maybe that was just fatigue.

BTW on Giguere, facing a robotic goalie lowers much more moral than a flashy one. Because with an entertaining save, the opposition can think the goalie just got lucky. Facing Giguere in the 03 playoffs was frustrating, cool as hell, players were probably feeling, man we've nothing on this mofo. But Flashy or not, a goalie has to stop the puck and handle himself in pressure situations.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Mikos87 said:
Montoya is a great goalie. Good positioning and reflexes, but isn't what you would call NHL ready now. For instance from what I've seen (NCAA playoffs and WJC) is that he is behind a great defense. Also he is a great puck handler, and he does stop the puck on every low percentage shot I've seen him face (credit the defense here though). But in a few instances I've seem him challenge more that he should. So he isn't afraid at all. But you'll have to work with him. And I don't the Rangers have a full time goalie coach now, maybe thats why Blackburn's (who can handle NHL work and has proven so under and incredibly poor defense, before being overworkeed) fundamental positioning has gotten a little worse. But maybe that was just fatigue.

BTW on Giguere, facing a robotic goalie lowers much more moral than a flashy one. Because with an entertaining save, the opposition can think the goalie just got lucky. Facing Giguere in the 03 playoffs was frustrating, cool as hell, players were probably feeling, man we've nothing on this mofo. But Flashy or not, a goalie has to stop the puck and handle himself in pressure situations.

I'd like to comment on the defense Montoya played behind at the WJC's this year. Don't get me wrong, there were some great defensemen on the U.S. team, and as a unit they held it together, but Montoya had to bail them out several times. Canada carried the play for much of the game, and it was his efforts that ultimately preserved the victory.

coolio123

Dec 21, 2003
Teams shouldn't be putting so much weight on goalie prospects' ability to handle the puck when the new puckhandling rule may but enforced by the NHL in the near future.

L.I.RangerFan

Mar 18, 2002
Enemy Land - Long Is
Visit site
NYRGoalieGlut said:
The Shwarz thread got me thinking. I don't know anything about goaltender of the future #3 (Blackburn and Lundqvist r #1 and #2). I mean, I know about him playing for Michigan and starting for the USA World Junior champs. As far as his game all I've heard was that he's Charismatic, doesn't like to lose, and handles the puck well. For charismatic we can borrow Steve McKenna from the Pens (is it the Pens?), for someone that doesn't like to lose, we can get almost any hockey player, or hell anyone from any sport or monopoly player (who likes to lose?), and if we want a good puckhandler Jagr would be a great netminder. However whatever happened to what the actual job of a goalie is, to stop the puck, not to play the puck well, although that's a bonus, or to be charismatic (who in the bloody h/ell cares?). Can someone here offer an unbiased overview (which is more than I would get on the Rangers board) of his puck stopping skills?

First off NYRGoalieGlut, Alot of posters on the Rangers Board are extremely unbiased when it comes to prospects. You have seen many a report from people who have actually seen Montoya play, myself included.

As for Montoya charisma, it is more of having the right attitude to play in NY. Many a player has been overwhelmed by the huge media presence and wilted when playing in NY. Montoya has that charisma to play in NY, just like Mike Richter did. Mike Richter was not the best goalie in the NHL but he elevated is his play dramatically in the "big games".

As for the necessity of being a good stickhandler, take one look at Marty Brodeur.
When he is in goal, it is like having a third defensemen on the ice. He has the ability to headman the pass to his forwards or wrap it around the boards to one of his defenseman. He can clear the puck out of his zone during a penalty kill and he can get the puck to his forwards during a powerplay. IMHO, Al Montoya has the ability to do the same thing in time.

Take a look at Michigans record, his GAA and his save percentage. He is a technically sound goaltender, who plays for a great college program, has the ability to aide in the defense of his own zone and is a blue chip prospect.

Will he make it to the NHL? Don't know, my crystal ball isn't working today. Do I believe he will make it? Yes, if brought along properly, he will be a good to excellant goalie. BUT that is just my (un) :eek: BIASED opinion.

L.I.RangerFan

Mar 18, 2002
Enemy Land - Long Is
Visit site
coolio123 said:
Teams shouldn't be putting so much weight on goalie prospects' ability to handle the puck when the new puckhandling rule may but enforced by the NHL in the near future.

Actually, if the new puck handling rules do go in effect, it is for behind the goal line only. Goalies will still be able to play the puck in front of the goal line, just not behind it.

So puck handling skills are still important for a goalie.

NYRGoalieGlut*

L.I.RangerFan said:
First off NYRGoalieGlut, Alot of posters on the Rangers Board are extremely unbiased when it comes to prospects. You have seen many a report from people who have actually seen Montoya play, myself included.

As for Montoya charisma, it is more of having the right attitude to play in NY. Many a player has been overwhelmed by the huge media presence and wilted when playing in NY. Montoya has that charisma to play in NY, just like Mike Richter did. Mike Richter was not the best goalie in the NHL but he elevated is his play dramatically in the "big games".

As for the necessity of being a good stickhandler, take one look at Marty Brodeur.
When he is in goal, it is like having a third defensemen on the ice. He has the ability to headman the pass to his forwards or wrap it around the boards to one of his defenseman. He can clear the puck out of his zone during a penalty kill and he can get the puck to his forwards during a powerplay. IMHO, Al Montoya has the ability to do the same thing in time.

Take a look at Michigans record, his GAA and his save percentage. He is a technically sound goaltender, who plays for a great college program, has the ability to aide in the defense of his own zone and is a blue chip prospect.

Will he make it to the NHL? Don't know, my crystal ball isn't working today. Do I believe he will make it? Yes, if brought along properly, he will be a good to excellant goalie. BUT that is just my (un) :eek: BIASED opinion.

I don't remember reading much about his puck stopping ability on the Rangers board. I also don't know who and who didn't watch him play so I wouldn't know if they watched him play. Only report I saw that talked about his puck handling skills and from someone that's seen him play was a recent one and was posted AFTER I made this thread. Did I offend u by saying that there will be biased opinions? Honestly, almost every fan is biased, either they see everything as great or as horrible (like most Rangers fans).

NYRGoalieGlut*

Mikos87 said:

U bring up a good point, but if the save looks hard, those playing would think, damn this guy's on what do we have to do to get the puck past him, if he's making saves like THAT. Also those saves make the shots look tougher, further making the goalie look like he's on.

L.I.RangerFan

Mar 18, 2002
Enemy Land - Long Is
Visit site
NYRGoalieGlut said:
I don't remember reading much about his puck stopping ability on the Rangers board. I also don't know who and who didn't watch him play so I wouldn't know if they watched him play. Only report I saw that talked about his puck handling skills and from someone that's seen him play was a recent one and was posted AFTER I made this thread. Did I offend u by saying that there will be biased opinions? Honestly, almost every fan is biased, either they see everything as great or as horrible (like most Rangers fans).

No insult taken, just don't like to be generalized about. There are quite a few posters who are unbiased, didn't like some of the picks and stated that very clearly. While everyone can be a homers at times, alot try to give good, unbaised reports on players.

The post you seen might have been mine, where I stated that sometimes Montoya plays the puck too much but will learn better decision making in time. I watch alot of NCAA hockey because with the sports package on DirecTV, I get all the regional sports channels.

Looks like next year I will need it just to see any hockey :banghead:

NYRGoalieGlut*

L.I.RangerFan said:
No insult taken, just don't like to be generalized about. There are quite a few posters who are unbiased, didn't like some of the picks and stated that very clearly. While everyone can be a homers at times, alot try to give good, unbaised reports on players.

The post you seen might have been mine, where I stated that sometimes Montoya plays the puck too much but will learn better decision making in time. I watch alot of NCAA hockey because with the sports package on DirecTV, I get all the regional sports channels.

Looks like next year I will need it just to see any hockey :banghead:

Actually, by unbiased I don't necessarily mean that they love the team and all it's picks, in fact for the Rangers fans it's different, they're biased in a different way and let their hate of Sather blind actual judgement. This is especially true on the official board. People hate all the picks because they hate Sather. As far as that post, not sure if I saw that, but I've seen a lot of playing the puck posts (good and bad), but the thing I'm interested about is not that but his puck stopping ability. Thanks for that post anyways.

catcher

Oct 4, 2003
Visit site
I read that the new draft picks were in New York last week for a mini camp. Did anyone get to see Montoya and the rest of the players on the ice? If so, how did they look?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad