Not open for further replies.

Motown Beatdown

Need a slump buster
Mar 5, 2002
Indianapolis
Visit site
http://www.freep.com/sports/umich/metro26e_20040726.htm

Good news for Michigan fans.

Michigan hockey coach Red Berenson announced Sunday that Montoya has decided to return for his junior season. Montoya had considered leaving to sign with the New York Rangers, who took him sixth overall in the NHL entry draft on June 26.

"Al Montoya has confirmed he's gone through the decision-making process of whether to turn professional or stay at Michigan and he's decided to come back to school," Berenson said in a statement. "I think it's a good decision for him and for Michigan. It's good to get the decision out of the way because it is going to be a big season this year."

db23

I have the feeling that the decision was much more the Ranger's than Montoya's but, whatever.

Go Blue! :handclap:

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
IMO Montoya needed another year in college before making the jump to the professional ranks, so this is good news. Let him dominate the college game and help defend the WJC title, and then make the move to Hartford next year. This helps the Rangers goaltending situation as well, as there's one less body to worry about.

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
db23 said:
I have the feeling that the decision was much more the Ranger's than Montoya's but, whatever.

Actually, I think it was probably more his mom's decision than anyone elses.

ZombieMatt

May 20, 2002
No real surprise here in my opinion. I would have been surprised to see him turn pro already, but you never know I guess.

in the hall

Mar 4, 2004
I agree a lot had to do with Sather offering less then max money, essentially forcing him into this decision.

NYR469

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
in the hall said:
I agree a lot had to do with Sather offering less then max money, essentially forcing him into this decision.

larry brooks is the only one that reported that and maloney & montoya both said it wasn't about $$

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
in the hall said:
GMs can just say no, you know. They don't have to lie, or lowball prospects, in fact why would they insult their intelligence like that and piss them off.

It only takes one look at Blackburn to make the decision if you're Sather.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com

Postman

Feb 27, 2002
RangerBoy said:
The Michiganhockey.net site broke the story.Jason broke the story.Al Montoya's mom sent him an email informing him of Al's decision and the approval to release the information

I told ya! I know how Cuban moms operate.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
The decision was ultimately Al's choice. His mom, of course, wants him in school two more years. And Al spoke with like 1000 other people to gather their opinions, from the Rangers to Coach Berenson and former U-M goalies Steve Shields and Marty Turco. There's part of an interview with him posted at http://michigan.rivals.com

Either there or another article I read Al said the Rangers offered him money equal to what other first round goalies have been offered in the past and that it was a satisfying deal. So he could have taken it and gone if he wanted. Thankfully, he didn't!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad