Montoya to Chicago?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mazmin

Wig like a mink skin, soft like Twinkie dough
May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Montoya to Chicago?

I doubt that they will use the #3 pick on him when Ladd, Tukonen and Barker are ahead of him on most teams want lists. I guess I'm banking on a "trade down" with this theory.

A few reasons I think this could happen:

Al Montoya was raised in Chicago, though listed as born in Glenview.

The organization has solid prospects at every position and goaltenders are always a valuable commodity.

I'm pretty sure Chicago has an unheard of FIVE (5) picks in the second round of this years Draft. More than enough picks to fill remaining holes in organization.

By the time Montoya is 24 years old and beginning to mature, Thibault will already be 35.

Andersson and Leighton could still fight for a job or be traded to improve other areas. Note: Like Montoya, Andersson is also from Illinois. Having an all-Illinois goaltending tandem would be a great marketing tool for the Hawks.

Just a few thoughts. Let me hear it... :jump:

Behn Wilson

Mar 14, 2002
Chicago, Il
Visit site
Having Anderson as a Chicago born goalie has generated ZERO buzz in Chicago. Unless its a good player noone cares if they are homegrown or not. (BTW Glenview is a suburb of Chicago).

I dont see any chance whatsoever of the Hawks taking a goalie at three. It isnt perceived to be an organizational need at this point.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
mazmin said:
Just a few thoughts. Let me hear it... :jump:

A poster here (I believe Dr.Sens) claims he has talked to a Hawks scout who told him the Hawks are satisfied of their goalie prospects.

Now, it's up to you whether you believe this or not. Also, being satisfied of their goalies does not mean they will turn away from Montoya if they really love him that much. But I think it's food for thoughts when speculating on their 3rd overall.

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
Behn Wilson said:
Having Anderson as a Chicago born goalie has generated ZERO buzz in Chicago.(BTW Glenview is a suburb of Chicago).

Of course there hasn't been any buzz. The Hawks have missed the playoffs for what?...6 years straight. I think that despite a "weak" draft Chicago can still make quick progress in rebuilding the franchise.

As for the Montoya theory, I'm still looking for some type of feedback.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
Montoya will not happen in Chicago. Tbo, Anderson, Leighton, Crawford, Brodeur, Ayers, Berkhoel.......A goalie is simply not needed, especially in the 1st round. This is an offensively challenged team. While they should pick a forward, likely Barker will be the choice unless we get a great overpayment for #3.

mazmin

May 15, 2004
Winnipeg
How many of Chicago's goalies have #1 potential? Thibault is 29 years old. If they are serious about rebuilding than why not start from the goalie out. They have 5 picks in the second round to pluck out a scorer or two. Plus a full season of Daze, Berard and Ruutu(icetime) would help scoring matters immediatly.

In the end I'd put my money on them chosing d-man Cam Barker to compliment the stellar group of Seabrooke, Wisniewski, Barinka, McCarthy, Keith, Babchuk,Vandermeer etc.

Also I think Tukonen would compliment Ruutu just fine.

I've heard rumors of Radulov...but one is enough.

Teemu

Caffeine Free Since 1919
Dec 3, 2002
Behn Wilson said:
Having Anderson as a Chicago born goalie has generated ZERO buzz in Chicago. Unless its a good player noone cares if they are homegrown or not. (BTW Glenview is a suburb of Chicago).

I dont see any chance whatsoever of the Hawks taking a goalie at three. It isnt perceived to be an organizational need at this point.

We could win the cup and it wouldnt create a buzz here.

zamboni

Apr 25, 2003
Visit site
Of course there hasn't been any buzz. The Hawks have missed the playoffs for what?...6 years straight. I think that despite a "weak" draft Chicago can still make quick progress in rebuilding the franchise.

For the record they made the postseason in 2002, but I still agree.

hawksfan50

Feb 27, 2002
mazmin said:
How many of Chicago's goalies have #1 potential? Thibault is 29 years old. If they are serious about rebuilding than why not start from the goalie out. They have 5 picks in the second round to pluck out a scorer or two. Plus a full season of Daze, Berard and Ruutu(icetime) would help scoring matters immediatly.

In the end I'd put my money on them chosing d-man Cam Barker to compliment the stellar group of Seabrooke, Wisniewski, Barinka, McCarthy, Keith, Babchuk,Vandermeer etc.

Also I think Tukonen would compliment Ruutu just fine.

I've heard rumors of Radulov...but one is enough.

Alex Radulov is a completely different player than brother Igor---Alex plays with emotion and passion--Igor does not....Alex is a legit first rounder--Igor was a 4th rounder......One Radulov would have been enough had it been Alex (the younger brother) --but now Alex may be need to motiovate Igor to use the scoring talent he does have --if only he would show more work ethic and passion in his play...so one Radulov may not be enough...2 might be just the ticket...

Oilers Chick

Jun 7, 2002
Philly in April 2014
Visit site
Why is it that just because a potential draft pick is "home grown" that people automatically assume that the local NHL team is the team that will draft him? I'm not saying that Chicago WON'T take Montoya (but as GaryU points out, the 'Hawks have lots of goalies in their system, so I, too would be surprised if the 'Hawks took Montoya), but I doubt it. Of course, stranger things have happened in the draft. So nothing would surprise me.

GaryU

May 17, 2004
Schaumburg,Il
You're right, Chick. Here in Chicago MANY strange things have happened hockey-wise (Wirtz-still alive, Pully-still employed, BSutter-still coach). But Dale Tallon is 'running' the draft this year. Please Lord, make him be different?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad