montoya and swharz

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hrkac Circus

Jul 1, 2003
Visit site
Im not sure about how Montoya compares with the likes of the elite goaltending prospects, but after watching him through the entire year at Michigan I am convinced he can be an elite goaltender. One thing he still needs to work on is consistency. The great thing about him is that in his two years he has always been outstanding in the postseason besides that one Vanek shot in the Frozen 4. I think he can be comparable to an Emery or Ouellet but he should stay for atleasy one more year at Michigan imo for more seasoning

fedorov_jr

May 8, 2002
Vancouver
Visit site
anyone else have some feedback??

it sounds to me like some people favor schwarz over montoya, but others favor montoya over schwarz..... who do the compare to? solid #1 goalies in the next few years? where on the goalie scale of prospects would they be??

i gotta get myself some young goalies for my fantasy hockey team, and already have leclaire and possibly ahonen..... now i gotta figure out if schwarz/montoya are a step or 2 above those guys

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Schwarz is totally like Dominik Hasek, just not as good. He's a great goaltending prospect that's a bit below the elite level (Lehtonen, Fleury).

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I can't really decide which one I would take if both were available come draft day. Probably Schwarz, I see a little bit more raw ability than Montoya.

You can't argue with Montoya's results, though.

They're definitely top 15 or so goaltending prospects, but not top 5.

leafaholix*

In terms of physical ability, I've never seen a more flexible goaltender then Marek Schwarz. Very much like Dominik Hasek, but I'm not sure if he's that floppy, I haven't seen him on a consistent basis to make that call.

Schwarz will fall in the draft to past 10 just because none of the top 10 teams are in dire need of a goaltending prospect. Los Angeles may take him... that would solve their goaltending issues they've had for so long.

If I'm the GM of a team looking for a top goaltending prospect, and I have the #3 pick... I take Marek Schwarz behind Ovechkin and Malkin.

PMP5030

Apr 25, 2004
RIGHT BEHIND YOU
I haven't seen Schwarz play, but I can offer an opinion on Montoya, having watched him the last 2 years at Michigan.

Basically, his style is the second coming of Marty Turco. So much in fact I have heard other fans refer to him as "Monturco". Monty doesn't really play a straight butterfly or anything else, just whatever he feels is the best way to stop the puck. He seems to be playing largely on instinct right now, I expect his technique will become more refined with time. This happened with Turco too, who was quite raw as an underclass player and flopped around too much, but learned to control himself better while still using his athleticism by the time he was a senior.

Montoya's a decent puckhandler, although not as good as Turco. He also needs some work on his rebound control, he sometimes leaves them in front when they could have been safely directed to the corner. Those are things I expect to see continued improvement on. Good things about him are his focus in "big games" and the athletic ability to make the impossible save when a sure goal is imminent. Those qualities make him a great prospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad