Monthly News Thread (June 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
I think Punk is the most unlikely to come back since Bret.

What we unfortunately have to live with is that if time ever heals those wounds, it'll likely have taken so long that Punk will be past his ring-shape days.

I can see him being the type of guy who wants to come back, but wont just because he'd feel like a failure if he did.

Anybody who thinks he wouldn't main event WM though, that's laughable. His return would be the biggest thing to happen to wrestling in a decade at least. They'd ride that into WM.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
His only return will be a hall of fame appearance, some interviews and a DVD before Vince dies. I mean if Jeff Jarret can come back for just that, Punk can.

He will never make a full return to WWE though. Just the amount of bad blood, how could he ever work under HHH and Steph again? Even for only a couple of shows. He hates them and they hate him.

Any bury the hatchet moment would be a one night thing like the Hall of Fame.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
John Cena was talking about NXT, and then was asked at a convention if he could face Ricochet, Dream or Adam Cole, who would he choose.

He said he’d pick Dream, and says he has this gut feeling that Dream is “the one”

Reactions: UnrealMachine

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Dream has all the potential to be a star but the way wrestling is these days...there ain't a "one" anymore.

And anybody who has the potential to be the "one" (Rollins) is ignored for somebody who clearly isn't.

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Considering how good Dream is at his age... he’s a definite star. He has all the tools to be “the one” imo.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Dream has great boom/bust potential. He could easily be a guy with a gimmick that Vince doesn’t understand how to use and think he’s a comedy act

Reactions: KaseMeOutside

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Dream is a star, imo. You could tell during Tough Enough that he had a mind for the business, even at such a young age.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Considering how good Dream is at his age... he’s a definite star. He has all the tools to be “the one” imo.

Sure but how many people coming out of NXT did we think that about too?

Maybe not the "one" but there's been infinite star potential from NXT that just gets wasted almost instantly. There's like...a 5% success ratio for NXT at this rate.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
His only return will be a hall of fame appearance, some interviews and a DVD before Vince dies. I mean if Jeff Jarret can come back for just that, Punk can.

He will never make a full return to WWE though. Just the amount of bad blood, how could he ever work under HHH and Steph again? Even for only a couple of shows. He hates them and they hate him.

Any bury the hatchet moment would be a one night thing like the Hall of Fame.

Obviously I don't know either man, but Punk seems like way more of a hard head than Jarrett. Honestly, I think Vince will be dead before Punk would return. And I think Punk is way more likely to return for Vince than for Triple H.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Vince will mess up Dream tho and he'll be a jobber a few months into his main roster call. Vince won't get him. Glad Dream is so young, means he can stay in NXT for a while longer so Vince can't ruin him next year

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Sure but how many people coming out of NXT did we think that about too?

Maybe not the "one" but there's been infinite star potential from NXT that just gets wasted almost instantly. There's like...a 5% success ratio for NXT at this rate.
Of all the guys we may have said that about or thought it about, I really don’t think any of them come close to touching that ceiling like Velveteen Dream does.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Patrick Clark's ceiling is high...

... Velveteen Dream's, not so much. That's a niche gimmick that wont last long on the main roster.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Patrick Clark's ceiling is high...

... Velveteen Dream's, not so much. That's a niche gimmick that wont last long on the main roster.

How long did Goldust last?

Granted he didn't have the highest level of success but he has lasted a hell of a long time and Dream is significantly more talented.

There's lots of guys in NXT that I think should be stars (Black, Dream, Gargano, Ciampa, etc) but I don't have faith in the main roster to do anything with any of them.

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Punk admitted himself that he wasn't always the best person to be around. I think him and HHH have a lot more in common then people like to think.

He probably stays away from WWE, but in the end thats where the most money is. And Bryan was way bigger than Punk and he is barely moving the needle in WWE. I don't have much confidence that Punk would make a huge difference.

Once his UFC contract is done he will be wrestling for someone. I wouldn't put money on WWE.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
How long did Goldust last?

Granted he didn't have the highest level of success but he has lasted a hell of a long time and Dream is significantly more talented.

There's lots of guys in NXT that I think should be stars (Black, Dream, Gargano, Ciampa, etc) but I don't have faith in the main roster to do anything with any of them.

How long did Stardust last?

Different generation, the hokey stuff isn't that over anymore, whether its' because the audience doesn't like it or because the writers suck at booking it.

And Golddust isn't necessary a good comparison. Cena was implying Dream had the potential to be "The guy". Golddust was almost always a comedy jobber.

Again, as I said, I think Clark's potential is big. I just don't see it under that gimmick. Time and again guys have succeeded with niche gimmicks on NXT and come to the main roster and completely flopped.

Tyler Breeze was highly regarded once upon a time.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
Tyler Breeze and Johnny Curtis could be such a legitimate tag team if they knocked off the stupid gimmicks though.

Both have charisma and talent for days.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Wasn't there hopeful speculation at one point about a Breeze, Dillinger, Cody Rhodes stable ? Oh what could have been

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Punk admitted himself that he wasn't always the best person to be around. I think him and HHH have a lot more in common then people like to think.

This is what happens when you put two hardheaded people with massive egos in the same room together. They may have a lot in common, but they'll never get along. It's funny, usually Triple H is the one rebuilding bridges that Vince burned. I think if Punk were ever to come back it'd have to be the other way around.

End of the day, between the firing him on his wedding day thing and his belief (Probably true) that WWE is financially backing Amann's lawsuit, I think if he ever returns, it'll be a very, very long time, and he'll be past the age that he could wrestle.

He probably stays away from WWE, but in the end thats where the most money is. And Bryan was way bigger than Punk and he is barely moving the needle in WWE. I don't have much confidence that Punk would make a huge difference.

Honestly I don't think he could give a s*** about money. As I said before, I think he likely doesn't come back just on principle. As for Bryan being bigger than Punk, I think that's questionable. He is and was certainly bigger by crowd reaction, but how much of that actually drew money? While it sounds like those go hand in hand, it's one thing to chant, "Yes" and another thing to buy a T-shirt/Ticket/PPV for a guy.

I don't ever recall Bryan outselling Cena. (Though I may have missed it) Punk did for awhile, and by numerous accounts (I believe Konnan and possibly Bubba Ray) the only reason he stopped outselling is because they tanked his merchandise production and pumped Cena's up.

He also pumped the UFC's PPV buys for his fight in 2016. Granted, he probably wont do nearly that much now as there's not much curiosity.

Once his UFC contract is done he will be wrestling for someone. I wouldn't put money on WWE.

Wouldn't bet on it. I think he likely shows up at All-In and may even wrestle a match here or there, but his days of being a wrestling regular are done. Somebody, I can't remember who, made a great suggestion that he could be using a couple UFC fights as experience and a foot in the door to start a commentary career.

Paris in Flames

Feb 4, 2009
Wasn't there hopeful speculation at one point about a Breeze, Dillinger, Cody Rhodes stable ? Oh what could have been

I think it was just a random Cody tweet that got blown out of proportion. There was definitely smoke there though since they definitely had a photo shoot together.

It would have worked so well. Dashing, Gorgeous and Perfect.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa

Lol this post reminded me of an old dirt sheet report from 2005 or 2006, before Punk ever set foot in WWE.

It was something along the lines of WWE being very interested in Punk back in 2005 (before they had brought him in) and people backstage thinking HHH would be the perfect teacher for Punk and they’d get along great because people thought they were so similar.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
Black will be massive. They’ll push him hard

They don't exactly have a good track record of pushing small guys.

You could argue Finn when he started... Except that literally a year and a half later they claimed nobody wanted to see him vs. Brock and let him get buried by 50 year old Mayor Jacobs.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The fact that Dream has such a mind for how the business works at a young age on top of his work rate proves the sky is the limit for him.

Most young guys are charisma vaccums at this point. They haven’t worked on or figured out the character portion of wrestling yet. Dream gets it.

I hope he is NXT champ within a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad