Monthly News Thread (January 2018)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Mania's been on the bucket list for awhile now. NYC is definitely a more convenient location for me, so I might finally crack on that one. Already had Survivor Series in LA penciled in plus next year's Rumble in Phoenix.

Conrad McBenis

Bow Down
Jan 10, 2018
Mania's been on the bucket list for awhile now. NYC is definitely a more convenient location for me, so I might finally crack on that one. Already had Survivor Series in LA penciled in plus next year's Rumble in Phoenix.

Likewise. I have never been to NOLA either. Crossing two things off the list in one trip.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Couple years ago I would have jumped all over WM in NY. Now? Ugh.

Yeah, I don't recall much from that one other than there needing to be heaters for the ring. Sitting in the cold probably isn't the ideal viewing experience. And it might just be me, but I kinda prefer to see a dome show since everybody says the sound/pops get lost in an open air setting.

Likewise. I have never been to NOLA either. Crossing two things off the list in one trip.

I thought about New Orleans (I too would be crossing two things off), but I didn't think it was going to work schedule wise. Although I thought April was going to be a project deadline at work, but I was told a few days ago that it got pushed back.

.......so maybe I can reconsider.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
New Orleans is the greatest location for Wrestlemania, and it's not close either (Maybe Vegas if they do it there again soon) Easily the most fun I've ever had on a trip. Literally everything is walking distance... the only time we took a cab was to ROH which was like 20 minutes outside of New Orleans. We stayed right off Bourbon street, 2-3 minute walk to Bourbon Street and a 10 minute walk to the Superdome/Smoothie King arena which is right across the street. Want to go back so badly but it's just not in the cards this year for me as I'll be going to Vegas in a week, and then Colorado for a Stag in April.

I've been to Wrestlemania 30 and 33. Great experiences at both, the outdoor venue looks incredible but good god it was hot, especially when you're smack dab in the sun for 5-6 hours, easily.

I'm going to go to Phoenix for the Rumble and cross that one off the list. I have no desire to see a Survivor Series, so that really does nothing for me.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Michael Hayes and Jamie Noble were the ones who produced the men's Royal Rumble match this year. Pat Patterson was also involved.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Michael Hayes and Jamie Noble were the ones who produced the men's Royal Rumble match this year. Pat Patterson was also involved.

Give those men bonuses and whoever produced the women's rumble. Other than the Rousey thing which is not likely their call, they still did a hell of a job given the context.

Reactions: ColePens

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
February \o/

Yeah, this years Rumble was very good. But I think the ranks of the Rumble matches are very skewed toward who actually wins. Nakamura being the fan choice really helps compared to a Reigns win even if they are the exact same match.

Reactions: ColePens

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
February \o/

Yeah, this years Rumble was very good. But I think the ranks of the Rumble matches are very skewed toward who actually wins. Nakamura being the fan choice really helps compared to a Reigns win even if they are the exact same match.
Probably. We've had shit winners and mostly shit matches (or decent or good matches with horrific finishes) that we finally got spoiled this year.

Anyways, what's the word on Jason Jordan's injury? I'm reading neck and it's pretty bad... like, if it aggravates it could end his career or something? And it's similar to Angle's injury back in the early 2000s where it could affect his feeling below his neck and could turn into the Edge and Paige injuries? Damn.

PeterSidorkiewicz

HFWF Tourney Undisputed Champion
Apr 30, 2004
Lansing, MI
Probably. We've had **** winners and mostly **** matches (or decent or good matches with horrific finishes) that we finally got spoiled this year.

Anyways, what's the word on Jason Jordan's injury? I'm reading neck and it's pretty bad... like, if it aggravates it could end his career or something? And it's similar to Angle's injury back in the early 2000s where it could affect his feeling below his neck and could turn into the Edge and Paige injuries? Damn.

Dang. Like father like son I guess.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
February \o/

Agree with MCG, though. It wasn't just who wins. I thought there were some great moments:

- Slater getting beat up is classic.
- Slater knocking out Sheamus was funny.
- The final 6 and 4 being old vs. new was actually super well done. I loved the stare down and I loved how it was built.
- The final 2 was PERFECT. The one everyone wanted vs. the one nobody wanted. It was perfect. Both had a legit shot.
- Great surprises -nostalgia AND people who can wrestle. Rey looked fantastic.
- Balor iron man was well done
- Rusev beginning the Rumble and being over was well done.
- Hell even Corbin was well booked. Came out, dominated, shock elimination, throws a fit. Perfect for his character.

When you look at that Rumble from beginning to middle to end, it was enjoyable and completely entertaining the whole way. I think it's top 5 and agree with MCG.

Reactions: BackGroundMusic

Kimi

Jun 24, 2004
Newcastle upon Tyne
I agree that this year was one of the best. I'm mean more that the ones that people remember as bad are sometimes bad because of the winner and not because they are actually bad.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
New Orleans is the greatest location for Wrestlemania, and it's not close either (Maybe Vegas if they do it there again soon) Easily the most fun I've ever had on a trip. Literally everything is walking distance... the only time we took a cab was to ROH which was like 20 minutes outside of New Orleans. We stayed right off Bourbon street, 2-3 minute walk to Bourbon Street and a 10 minute walk to the Superdome/Smoothie King arena which is right across the street. Want to go back so badly but it's just not in the cards this year for me as I'll be going to Vegas in a week, and then Colorado for a Stag in April.

I've been to Wrestlemania 30 and 33. Great experiences at both, the outdoor venue looks incredible but good god it was hot, especially when you're smack dab in the sun for 5-6 hours, easily.

New Orleans is suddenly back in the radar for me. I had kicked around an idea for a Texas ballpark trip that weekend and then realized Mania was an hour flight away. I suppose some of my trepidation is not having been there before, so I haven't been able to do a mental walkthrough of the experience. But you and many others have said how great New Orleans is as a host city.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
New Orleans is suddenly back in the radar for me. I had kicked around an idea for a Texas ballpark trip that weekend and then realized Mania was an hour flight away. I suppose some of my trepidation is not having been there before, so I haven't been able to do a mental walkthrough of the experience. But you and many others have said how great New Orleans is as a host city.
It was so much fun, man. We brought a buddy who never even watched Wrestling really, he just wanted to come on the "Dudes trip" - He ended up having an absolute blast. It was just such a prime location if you enjoy being surrounded by Wrestling fans. Bourbon Street was legit just a giant party which was fantastic. The only place i can think that would rival it would be Vegas, but again... the small town feel of New Orleans is hard to beat.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
If I didn't need a hotel and all that, i'd pay $1000 for tickets with no question. But the tickets would have to be decent.

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
That's unfortunate you say that. When is the last live event you've been to? Because no matter how bad the show is, it's fun.
I think 2014 or 2015? Whichever live event had Lesnar vs. Wyatt & Harper and Ambrose vs. Owens vs. Zayn.

I don’t even bother keeping track of when live events are in the area anymore.

Disclose

WE GET THAT RENT MONEY
Aug 22, 2007
Montreal
booker t says corey graves is the reason he's off commentary, cuz officials were affraid Booker was gonna break his neck.

Booker T says that if he ever meets with Corey outside of work duty, he will kick his ass.

Reactions: KEEROLE Vatanen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad