Monday, July 11th MDT

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Any updates this morning? I saw B-Mac's last post, which suggested that we're looking at today, tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully he can provide a little more this morning.

Do we know if the meetings have started, etc?

Sixty Six

Feb 28, 2003
Pittsburgh, PA
Visit site
Jobu said:
Any updates this morning? I saw B-Mac's last post, which suggested that we're looking at today, tomorrow or Wednesday. Hopefully he can provide a little more this morning.

Do we know if the meetings have started, etc?

if i had to guess we'll know a little more today, but nothing will be done, just maybe an odd detail or two will get leaked. Which has been normal the past week or two

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
RMU2 said:
if i had to guess we'll know a little more today, but nothing will be done, just maybe an odd detail or two will get leaked. Which has been normal the past week or two

I'd have to think we'll get more than a little info today. With a BOG executive meeting, more than the usual ought to get leaked out.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
I sure hope it gets done today but I think they will annouce it on Wed due to BaseBall Allstar game (In my Opinion).

I am starting to wonder if this thing will get done as its seems to be slipping...... :shakehead

cbjfan

Jul 4, 2002
Visit site
flambers said:
I sure hope it gets done today but I think they will annouce it on Wed due to BaseBall Allstar game (In my Opinion).

If a deal is going to be announced this week, Wednesday would seem like the most likely date, if they don't want to be overshadowed by other sporting events:

Mon-Tues: All-Star Game and festivities
Thurs-Sun: British Open (Nicklaus' last major tournament)

But, we are probably safe because I'm sure an announcement is still "two weeks" away :dunno:

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
cbjfan said:
If a deal is going to be announced this week, Wednesday would seem like the most likely date, if they don't want to be overshadowed by other sporting events:

Mon-Tues: All-Star Game and festivities
Thurs-Sun: British Open (Nicklaus' last major tournament)

But, we are probably safe because I'm sure an announcement is still "two weeks" away :dunno:

I laugh every time I see someone suggest that it matters what else is going on. News of a new CBA will trump anything else in Canada, whereas it will be an afterthought most everywhere else. Things need to happen and they need to happen fast, so once they have a new deal, it will be announced ASAP afterwards.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
Jobu said:
I laugh every time I see someone suggest that it matters what else is going on. News of a new CBA will trump anything else in Canada, whereas it will be an afterthought most everywhere else. Things need to happen and they need to happen fast, so once they have a new deal, it will be announced ASAP afterwards.

I disagree, annoucement will happen in NY City. So obviously the American market is an important area as well. The NHL will not want to share the spot light with Baseball or golf. I agree with the previous poster. Wed is the best day.

If it doesn't happen on Wed...IMO, one side is causing problems.

General Jacket70

Jul 26, 2002
Anchorage, AK
Visit site
Jobu said:

And how many teams are in Canada again?!?!?

Sad to say, but its the US and other foreign casual fans that the NHL needs to reach out to. Canadians not thoroughly disgusted by the lockout and proposed hockey changes (and even some who are) will be crashing servers and burning up electricity in order to find out what's going on, but a quiet day in the states would be a publicity bonus to a league looking to reestablish (?) recognition with the freespending US population and private sectors.

Bottom line: Wednesday has to have been a bullseye for some time. But as with everything else in this negotiation, we'll see if these people can hit the target!!!

Jobu

Nov 17, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
flambers said:
I disagree, annoucement will happen in NY City. So obviously the American market is an important area as well. The NHL will not want to share the spot light with Baseball or golf. I agree with the previous poster. Wed is the best day.

If it doesn't happen on Wed...IMO, one side is causing problems.

Of course the American market is important; but announcing it on a day without other sportsing events doesn't make it front page news. Once the All-Star Game is over, British Open coverage and baseball second half coverage will still be more important on TV and in print.

The NHL gains NOTHING from delaying for some fanciful opportune moment that doesn't exist in reality.

Empireshark

Jul 15, 2004
I agree. Right now time is the most important thing. It would be nice if they could anounce it on a day where there isn't any other sporting events happening but I don't think that they're as worried about being overshadowed as some posters tend to believe. The NHL has a marketing plan in place already to try and lure the fans back for next season (we may not have heard about it yet, but I'm sure it's there) and as long as they feel that they can lure enough fans back before Oct. 5 (or whenever the season starts), I'm not sure they're so worried about other sporting events. Now the draft, that's a whole other story. This is where you splash Sid all over the front page of every newspaper and make dam sure that everybody from here to Timbuktu knows that the NHL is back and going to be faster, better, and more entertaining than anyother sport on earth.

GSC2k2*

I believe Wednesday is one of the few days in the entire calendar when no other sporting events are ongoing.

Poddubny

Jul 5, 2005
On the Bench
gscarpenter2002 said:
I believe Wednesday is one of the few days in the entire calendar when no other sporting events are ongoing.

I think today and Wednesday are the only two days of the year without a pro or college sports game. But with all the talk of "get it done by Wednesday," does anyone even know how long the player ratification process will take? I've heard anything from 2 days to a week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad