Moncton Wildcats 2016-17

catsrookie

Jan 13, 2017
I hear through the Grape vine that the lottery for the up coming draft will take place sometime after the first round of QMJHL Playoffs. Lots of speculation concerning how the Teams Governor's will decide on the exact format. Each team will be allotted so many balls in the Lottery draft with Last place Team receiving the most. I believe the numbers are 9 -5- 3-2-1. How the Governor's (of all the Teams in the League) choose to establish this format may well have a big impact on who gets that overall critical first round pick.

TheGreatGazoo

Aug 6, 2007
Here are the rules for this years draft. It is from the leagues website.

http://theqmjhl.ca/article/nouvelles-regles-et-directives-pour-la-saison-2016-17

"Priority of Selection

The selection of players during the annual entry draft will be made, with the exception of the first round, in the reverse order of the teams in the general standings at the end of the regular schedule of the current season. When it comes to the first round, the selection will be made in the same order, with the exception of teams at the last five ranks of said general standings.

For these last five teams, including the two teams which did not take part in the playoffs, the selection order is determined by a draw, under the supervision of four team governors who are not involved. The probabilities to win this draw are established in accordance with the general standings at the end of the regular schedule, as the final rank provides the teams involved with a variable number of capsules (18th rank will have 9 capsules, 17th = 6 capsules, 16th = 3 capsules, 15th = 2 capsules, 14th = 1 capsule).

After the team which will select during the first rank of the entry draft is determined, all the capsules of the team involved are removed from the draw. This process is repeated each time a team is drawn. However, if the team that finished at the last rank is not picked during the first or the second lottery draw, it will be awarded automatically the third draft pick overall. Equally, if according to the process described previously, the team that finished at the last rank is awarded automatically the third draft pick overall, or was selected during the first or the second draw, while the team that finished next to last has not yet been selected, then the latter will be awarded automatically the fourth draft pick overall."

catsrookie

Jan 13, 2017
TGG: TY for the help. That absolutely has to be the most confusing rule I have ever read. (not that I have read the Q rule book)
Some of it is simple but I find it contradicts its self in parts and confusing. Some is simple and straight forward. I have a headache.
Do you know exactly how in simple English how the draw will work for the last five teams?? Are they going to say,,,,, the first ball out which is one of the nine balls that the last place team has will get first pick? or are they gonna say there going start with the 5th pick and whos ball comes out will get that and continue on??? HELP!!

TheGreatGazoo

Aug 6, 2007
Here is how I understand it. The last place team will have 9 balls, second last 6 balls, third last 3 balls, fourth last 2 balls and fifth last gets one 1 ball. The balls will all be mixed up together. One ball will drawn, they get first pick. Then all of their remaining balls are removed from the lottery. So it is down to 4 teams. Then another ball is drawn, this team picks second and all there remaining balls are removed from the lottery.

If by this time the last place team has not had a ball drawn (they did not get the 1st or 2nd overall pick) they are automatically awarded the 3rd overall draft pick and all there balls are removed from the lottery. Then we draw again. But if by the time it comes to determine the team that will pick 4th overall the second last place team has not had a ball drawn, they automatically get the 4th overall draft pick and then their balls are removed and the 5th overall pick goes to the remaining team.

catsrookie

Jan 13, 2017
European Draft 2017

Does anyone know who the top 10 (or more) European players are in the CHL draft in July. As the Wildcats pick second overall, I'am hoping they find a solid player who will report after he is drafted.

JohnnyB11

Jul 14, 2003
Saint John, NB
Does anyone know who the top 10 (or more) European players are in the CHL draft in July. As the Wildcats pick second overall, I'am hoping they find a solid player who will report after he is drafted.

The Euro draft is very different from the entry draft. A lot of times the teams make deals with individual players and the players let other teams know they won't come across the pond for them so don't waste a pick on them. A 2nd overall pick in the Euro draft isn't near as valuable as the same pick in the entry draft. Sad by true.

MaybeNextYear

Nov 12, 2011
Canada
Qmjhl..... ?

Hello all, recently moved to New Brunswick from Ontario (a lifelong Spitfire fan, please don't hold that against me..) about 1/2 way between Seadogs and Wildcats, looking for any information League, Teams, attending games, etc.

Thanks..

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Hello all, recently moved to New Brunswick from Ontario (a lifelong Spitfire fan, please don't hold that against me..) about 1/2 way between Seadogs and Wildcats, looking for any information League, Teams, attending games, etc.

Thanks..

Where are you in NB? Feel free to send me a PM if you have any questions but if you're close to Moncton, jump on the Cats bandwagon. Some good young players and a brand new rink next year. Spits beat the Cats in the 2010 Memorial Cup.

QMJHL is very similar to the OHL, same rules, same ages, etc.

zeropotentate

Dec 4, 2012
Ontario
Last night against Cape Breton was a pretty good game. It seems that Moncton has two decent scoring lines this year (and that without MacDonald playing) Kuzmin-Tessier-Blackmore looked good in the 3rd period, and Cyr-Mckenna-Pelletier was fairly dangerous throughout the game too.

Moncton picked it up though as the game went along, hopefully they'll be able to start a game with that kind of confidence and intensity.

Fixed to Ruin

Come wit it now!
Feb 28, 2007
Grande Prairie, AB
Wildcats are pretty good.

They will struggle without Pelletier and Bellamy at the U17s.

Hopefully they don't trade all their futures for immediate help right now. They should just trust the process and keep building through the draft and avoid taking American players that won't report.

Pope Francis 1

Mar 13, 2013
"Wildcats are pretty good." A team that started out the season very strong has now tanked to 14th place in a month. What is going on with this club and the major slide? New arena in a year. Hopes for a MC bid in near future was also rumored. Thanks.

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
"Wildcats are pretty good." A team that started out the season very strong has now tanked to 14th place in a month. What is going on with this club and the major slide? New arena in a year. Hopes for a MC bid in near future was also rumored. Thanks.

There is an announcement this morning at 11 am. There is a rumour that the Wildcats are putting in a bid to host the Memorial Cup tourny in Moncton.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad