Monahan vs. Bennett in a steel cage chutes and ladders match!

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I'm not so sure one way or the other, but I'm definitely willing to try it. Not that I think Bennett would be better than Monahan, but I think Monahan would do just as well with Tkachuk.

For ***** and giggles I'll throw out a lineup too

Gaudreau - Bennett - Ferland
Tkachuk - Monahan - Versteeg
Jankowski - Backlund - Frolik
Glass - Familton - Brouwer
Stajan - Lazar

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
To start the year I'd like o see Bennett with JG. Money and JG is a known quantity. Bennett hasn't been put in a position to flourish and I want to see wht we have with him. Also is important to know prior to Backlund getting his extension imo. If Bennett can put up 60 puts with JG and money can put up 60 with Tkachuk and Jankowski shows he can be solid centre and hold down the 3rd line do we need to spend valuable cap space on Backlund? Can we recoup some valuable assets at the trade deadline?

Backlund is a super important part of the puzzle but if we have to pay both Bennett and Tkachuk 6+ in two years can we afford to keep him?

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Monahan; age 22 (soon to be 23)
Bennett; age 21
Jankowski; age 23

I seriously can't see the Flames going with a top three centre group that young, regardless of ability. Backlund at 28 is now the sagely vet; it's just another reason of many as to why Backlund will almost certainly be kept around.

And this has been said countless times but if the Flames need cap space, look to the Brouwer's, Stajan's, Stone's and if it comes down to it, Frolik's. All are considerably less important than Backlund and in the case of the first three, an egregious allocation cap space already. Versteeg and hopefully Smith will also be replaced by cheaper options within the next couple of seasons (Klimchuk, Poirier, Mangiapane, Dube, Gillies, Parsons, Rittich). That's another 6M right there.

With so much poorly used space already on the roster, it's weird that people think Backlund would be the first cap casualty.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I would like to see the flames play the rest of the preseason and possibly a few games of the regular season, assuming everyone is healthy to see if
Tkachuk and Monahan have any chemistry
Gaudreau and Bennett continue to have success
Keep Backlund and Frolik together

The Flames have 2 high end left wingers (Gaudreau and Tkachuk) 1 proven high end center (Monahan) and 1 high potential center (Bennett). It only makes sense to pair them up. I personally think that Bennett's and Gaudreau's playstyles would really complement each others and Monahan and Tkachuks are a better fit as well. So I would like to see if those pairs provide the flames 3 high end lines. Thus allowing the 4th line to be limited. The same way the defense is going to work this year.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
I would like to see the flames play the rest of the preseason and possibly a few games of the regular season, assuming everyone is healthy to see if
Tkachuk and Monahan have any chemistry
Gaudreau and Bennett continue to have success
Keep Backlund and Frolik together

The Flames have 2 high end left wingers (Gaudreau and Tkachuk) 1 proven high end center (Monahan) and 1 high potential center (Bennett). It only makes sense to pair them up. I personally think that Bennett's and Gaudreau's playstyles would really complement each others and Monahan and Tkachuks are a better fit as well. So I would like to see if those pairs provide the flames 3 high end lines. Thus allowing the 4th line to be limited. The same way the defense is going to work this year.

If Monahan and Tkachuk can find chemistry then sure. I wouldn’t split our top line or our best line otherwise though.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
If Gaudreau stays with Monahan, then you've got to at least put Tkachuk with Bennett. Bennett plays better with good line mates. But it's not like the Gaudreau/Bennett combo last night was the first time that ever happened, those two have had chemistry before. It should at least be considered.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
If Monahan and Tkachuk can find chemistry then sure. I wouldnÂ’t split our top line or our best line otherwise though.

For sure.

Bennett and Gaudreau have shown they can do some damage together. But it was just one pre-season game. I want to see if there's something there. Luckily we have some more pre season games to do that. Same with Tkachuk and Monahan.

Would also love to see Jankowski play with Backlund and Frolik, at least to start. Seems to be the first stop for most Flames rookies, and gives him the best chance to succeed

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
For sure.

Bennett and Gaudreau have shown they can do some damage together. But it was just one pre-season game. I want to see if there's something there. Luckily we have some more pre season games to do that. Same with Tkachuk and Monahan.

Would also love to see Jankowski play with Backlund and Frolik, at least to start. Seems to be the first stop for most Flames rookies, and gives him the best chance to succeed

This is a good way to think about it.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
For sure.

I wasn't high on Bennett and Gaudreau being together until I saw Gaudreau get pushed down and then Bennett shoving the player back that did it, and even gave a little stare down afterwards. Gaudreau has been paired with Monahan for a few years now and has not received that backup like he should. Bennett and Ferland would certainly change that. That line should stay intact.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
I wasn't high on Bennett and Gaudreau being together until I saw Gaudreau get pushed down and then Bennett shoving the player back that did it, and even gave a little stare down afterwards. Gaudreau has been paired with Monahan for a few years now and has not received that backup like he should. Bennett and Ferland would certainly change that. That line should stay intact.

AnxiousFragrantArieltoucan-size_restricted.gif

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Here’s what I would do on opening night:

Gaudreau - Monahan - Ferland
Tkachuk - Bennett - Versteeg
Janko - Backlund - Frolik

I get the appeal of wanting to play Bennett with Johnny. But I promise everyone it’s going to happen at some point this season. All lines cool off and Gully will shuffle the lines as a result.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Lotta people pencilling in Versteeg into our top 6. Love him but he was pretty useless at 5 on 5 last year

Calgareee

Jun 29, 2015
Lotta people pencilling in Versteeg into our top 6. Love him but he was pretty useless at 5 on 5 last year

The only lines that have him in the top 6 are ones putting Bennett's line above Backlund. It's a top 9 and realistically Backlund will get the shutdown/toughest minutes.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Don't understand why Gaudreau-Monahan-Bennett-Gio-Hamilton couldn't be our PP1. I'd like to see a Bennett Gaudreau combo at even strength as well at some point through out the season.

Even though Monahan has his faults as a 1C, I see no reason to separate him and Johnny when they've produced so well together so far. To this point Monahan has been the much more consistent producer at the position, you have to acknowledge that. This is a hard league to score in, and Sean has proven he's able to given the right opportunity.

As long as Bennett's progressing and creating more offence in a secondary role I would be hesitant to mount more pressure on him by giving him harder minutes against better competition. This is a player that scored 26pts last year. I'm still not enamoured with our depth enough to think that spreading the offence over three lines by splitting up our top 6 of last year will be a good thing. If they sign a scoring RWer, then maybe I'd think harder about it.

Skobel24

#Ignited
May 23, 2008
Winnipeg
I've been saying it for months, but I'll say it again. I want Jankowski with Backlund and Frolik. He'll play defensive minutes and have two great mentors to learn from, but he'll get top 6 minutes and still be in a situation where he can produce.

Snakepit

Nov 19, 2013
You're not a fan of Ferland, huh? He seemed to do pretty well on the top line since getting the chance. He's earned it.

Couldn't agree more.

I was at last nights game in row 3 of the Flames attack end. I love Ferkland, but still I always thought of him as just a bit of muscle with an above average shot and got success on the top line from riding the coat tails of Mony and Gaudreau.

Seeing him up close last night completely changed my mind. He absolutely fits in in a top 6 role. Not only is he that tough guy with a good shot that I thought he was, but he also has the IQ. The way he uses his size to protect the puck during the cycle is fantastic. And he throws a awesome saucer pass.

I definitely saw what the coaches have been seeing.

Last edited:

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
You're not a fan of Ferland, huh? He seemed to do pretty well on the top line since getting the chance. He's earned it.

He did ok early on for roughly the first 5-10 games. He did not do very good the last 15-20 and the 4 play-off games.

He definitely fails the eye test as well. Watching him play he isn't constantly in the wrong place, isn't very fast, has an ok shot, doesn't create, is a poor passer. There's not much to be a fan of.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
He did ok early on for roughly the first 5-10 games. He did not do very good the last 15-20 and the 4 play-off games.

He definitely fails the eye test as well. Watching him play he isn't constantly in the wrong place, isn't very fast, has an ok shot, doesn't create, is a poor passer. There's not much to be a fan of.

Ferland is actually quite fast, he’s one of the fastest skaters on the team. He’s got one of the best shots on the team, he’s an above average playmaker and is decent defensively. Not sure if you got Ferland mixed up with someone else.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA

Ferland is a lot better than you think, otherwise he would not have stayed on the top line with JG and Monny.

Besides, we’ll need him for the playoffs. Will never forget his presence against the Canucks in the 2015 playoffs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->