Injury Report: (Monahan) Flames' broken leadership bones and character burns

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I hope you're not serious. It was the medical staff's leadership and character that was keeping this team going as long as it did. These people are going to be our next captains :sarcasm:

Joking aside, it really makes you wonder how much he kept from the medical and coaching staff and how much they actually knew. One can only imagine what a healthy Monahan could have accomplished.
I'm always never serious.

They must have known something, if he was freezing it before every game -- I'm assuming that's an injection...

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
From a CP user that attended a STH event
Monahan had been getting daily wrist-numbing injections since just after Christmas but played through it. When the Flames shut Monahan down, Monahan left angry and did not talk to Treliving for two days because he wanted to play and help the team so badly.
Been beaten to the death but the bolded is new info

Reactions: Cyrano

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
I'll never understand the hate Monahan gets at times. I can understand him being underrated since he isn't flashy, but the dude is all heart and drive. Pretty obvious he'll be the next Captain after Gio.
Outside of a couple of Flames fans and a bunch of non Flames fans, I don't think people hate him.

They shouldn't. He is mr Consistency. Boy am I ever glad we drafted him and Canes passed on him.

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
There is a segment of posters who clearly resent him for being better than Bennett. It's quite odd.

Bennett is an odd case because was our first real high pick. Even I get biased and think that he has so much potential.

Part of me still thinks he could flourish and be 'better' than Monahan, however, Sean gets soooo underrated its ridiculous.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Outside of a couple of Flames fans and a bunch of non Flames fans, I don't think people hate him.

They shouldn't. He is mr Consistency. Boy am I ever glad we drafted him and Canes passed on him.

I dunno, go back a few months to March and there were threads bashing him plenty.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
Monahan will never get the respect he deserves because the dude simply isn't flashy or overly physical. He excels in putting up points with his high level of positional awareness, amazing wrist shot, and to a lesser extent a well timed one-timer. He's also very composed and rarely takes dumb/retaliatory penalties. I can't speak to how solid of a vocal leader he is, but his on ice performance is worthy of a letter for sure. Wouldn't surprise me if he becomes our next captain, and I have a feeling he's only going to get better as he starts to enter his prime.

He's a top line center for sure, anyone who can put up 30+ goals and 70+ points is, it's not debatable at all. What is debatable is if he's the caliber of top line center that will help your team bring home a cup. Though he's not elite I think he can be our guy, he just needs a better supporting cast around him and someone who can actually play with our excellent Gaudreau/Monahan pairing...Ferland doesn't belong there.

Reactions: Cyrano

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Low motor players generally don't get a lot of love regardless of how they produce just because it's harder for fans to realize their impact compared to someone whose legs are constantly churning, who is throwing themselves into the corners every few seconds and streaking down the wing, etc. The Paul Byrons of the world are easy to love. The Sean Monahans perhaps less so.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Low motor players generally don't get a lot of love regardless of how they produce just because it's harder for fans to realize their impact compared to someone whose legs are constantly churning, who is throwing themselves into the corners every few seconds and streaking down the wing, etc. The Paul Byrons of the world are easy to love. The Sean Monahans perhaps less so.

Very easy to love Getzlaf, Kopitar and Barkov. Pretty low motor, but dominate the game every time they hit the ice.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
Very easy to love Getzlaf, Kopitar and Barkov. Pretty low motor, but dominate the game every time they hit the ice.

I don't know about Barkov, but I know that Getzlaf and Kopitar have had similar criticisms from their own fan base at times, even with how successful they are.

Also one thing we sometimes lose sight of is that sometimes we as a fanbase are harder on our own players than we are on players around the league, and also harder on our own players than other teams' fans are on our players.

If you listen to any league wide media (aka Leafs fans) talk about Monahan, they all think he's a stud. We have those same positive biases when we look at other teams' players.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Bennett will never even sniff Monahan's jock, unfortunately for us.

Imo Monahan is almost an equally important piece of the johnny-money pair.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Bennett is closer to being a bust than being better than Monahan.

One of the reasons some people were down on Monahan is they expect him to be on the Getzlaf, Kopitar level and he is not.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
People think leadership is all about yelling on the bench, getting angry in the game, etc.

My favourite player of all time and one of the best captains of all time is Sakic and how often did you see him going crazy on the bench or yelling at the refs, never. No one and I mean no one (that includes f***boy Eric "the dipshit" Francis") knows what goes on in the locker room. There is a reason why he has an A.

Once Gio is done, Mony is our next captain.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
I still pick Tkachuk to be our next captain, love Monahan though. Either would be great choices.

I love Tkachuk, but that guy is NOT exactly Captain material. Yes he has the drive and desire to win. But with him constantly being on the line, (and crossing it often enough), that's not exactly what you want a Captain to do. If your captain does that (especially with regularity), it's setting an example to our team, and our prospects, that that kind of thing is what our team needs to do. It just doesn't bode well long-term. Mony is definitely the choice to be the next captain. He puts up points, scores goals, doesn't take a lot of stupid penalties (or a lot of penalties at all for that matter), and as these reports have expanded on, he absolutely hates to lose and has drive. Even if he is just "boring Sean Monahan".

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga
I love Tkachuk, but that guy is NOT exactly Captain material. Yes he has the drive and desire to win. But with him constantly being on the line, (and crossing it often enough), that's not exactly what you want a Captain to do. If your captain does that (especially with regularity), it's setting an example to our team, and our prospects, that that kind of thing is what our team needs to do. It just doesn't bode well long-term. Mony is definitely the choice to be the next captain. He puts up points, scores goals, doesn't take a lot of stupid penalties (or a lot of penalties at all for that matter), and as these reports have expanded on, he absolutely hates to lose and has drive. Even if he is just "boring Sean Monahan".

Well said, pretty much can agree with all of this.

Reactions: Khrox

Tkachuky

Dec 30, 2009
In the Dome
Bennett will never even sniff Monahan's jock, unfortunately for us.

Imo Monahan is almost an equally important piece of the johnny-money pair.

I will politely disagree with you on the Johnny comment. Johnny is more important between the 2. (not trying to say Monahan is a bad player, he is a stud)

As for Bennett, he has all the tools to be a very good player. He has to figure his shit out. Its almost as if all the success of Johnny/Sean along with Chucky coming into the picture affected his (Bennett) development. In a sense it make sense as he was pinned to playing with not very good line mates. He has to come out firing at the camp, earn a spot in the top 6 and have a strong year and go from there.

Put me in the "I still believe in Bennett" category.

The Gnome

May 17, 2010
Calgary
I'm not horribly worried about Bennett at this point, the odds are more in his favour of improving, rather than being static moving forward. He's still very young, many players take time to develop. He may get moved for an organizational need, I just hope if he does that the return reflects his potential.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
Schenn is not a bad comparable for Bennett, but he's more of an exception than anything. Plus, if you go by games played at the pro level, Brayden was showing much more promise and progression by 250 games than bennett.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

I would strongly disagree that he is NOT captain material. Tkachuk is not a dummy, he knows what he is and he knows exactly what he is doing when he plays the game on the line, he understands this better than anyone on this board and his actions are very intentional. He has also shown me that he can turn this off, something that Marchand struggles with.

Tkachuk just might understand the NHL game and what it takes to win in this league better than anyone on our team. He also was the one scoring the big goals last year when we really needed it. Remember how many games we won after he got hurt last season? The guy absolutely hates losing and is never scared to sacrifice his body for his team, he does whatever it takes to win, something we need more guys doing. He would be an excellent captain IMO.

Reactions: OvermanKingGainer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->