Injury Report: (Monahan) Flames' broken leadership bones and character burns

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Stajan plays 1,000 games and some guys can't play a whole 82 games without significant injuries. For all the strength training, nutritionists and yoga of this generation, it's amazing how often they get hurt.

You mean Matthews?

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
Bu-bu-but Monahan is a fake #1C who has no leadership, no heart and only shows up in 1/3 of games.

2/3 of the games. At least get the sarcasm right.

:naughty:

And it sucks he's been injured. Hope he gets better. I actually like him and he'll be missed, along with his production. Hope he comes back next year healthy and firing on all cylinders.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Yeah you could clearly notice a difference in his play over the course of the season. Hopefully he heals up quickly.

FlamerForLife

Mon Seanahan
May 22, 2015
Calgary
I saw on twitter that for the last 35 games is when it was really bad and in those 35 games he put up 13G 17A 30Pts. Man this guy's a ****ing warrior, he's so under-appreciated by lots of members of this board. Also so on twitter that his wrist will be fully healed in 3 months so ~July ish giving him around 2 months to train before training camp.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
I saw on twitter that for the last 35 games is when it was really bad and in those 35 games he put up 13G 17A 30Pts. Man this guy's a ****ing warrior, he's so under-appreciated by lots of members of this board. Also so on twitter that his wrist will be fully healed in 3 months so ~July ish giving him around 2 months to train before training camp.

He still set new career highs or tied them despite those injuries and playing in 8 less games that his previous best. People shitting on him earlier still royally pissed me off.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Someone needs to let Monahan know that he doesn't need to push himself nearly as hard since we already have two Hart contenders and elite 1Cs on the team in Bennett and Jankowski :sarcasm:

SKRusty

Napalm
Jan 20, 2016
Someone needs to let Monahan know that he doesn't need to push himself nearly as hard since we already have two Hart contenders and elite 1Cs on the team in Bennett and Jankowski :sarcasm:

Janko never really had a consistent line, was left the scraps that didn't fit anywhere else, and had little to no PP time. That said he put up a reasonable point total and in the one game he played with talented players he produced big time. Okay 2 of the goals were soft but those still count.

Janko is offensively more talented than Backs and I would be interested to see what he and Matthew can do together. Janko has typically been a setup man...

A line of Chucky, Sam and Mark could raise allot of mayhem.

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

TychoFan

Feb 24, 2013
Canada
Tied his career goal totals with broken wrists? A real center would have exceeded his career totals. #wingergoals

Unlimited Chequing

Christian Yellow
Jan 29, 2009
Calgary, Alberta
long enough for me to actually question the medical staff's judgement here

I hope you're not serious. It was the medical staff's leadership and character that was keeping this team going as long as it did. These people are going to be our next captains :sarcasm:

Joking aside, it really makes you wonder how much he kept from the medical and coaching staff and how much they actually knew. One can only imagine what a healthy Monahan could have accomplished.

Last edited:

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Crazy stuff.
Clearly his play fell off half way through the season outside of goal scoring, this is clearly a main reason. Really liked how he started the season too.

Hope he heals up and comes back hungrier than ever. We really need him to make that next jump to that higher tier of centre for us if we want to be successful.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
I really hope that 4-5 months will be enough recovery time for him. He really shouldn't play if he is not 100%

Lunatik

Normal is an illusion.
Oct 12, 2012
Padded Room
I am pleased with the quality of sarcasm in this thread.

Is there any indication as to how long his wrist was borked? Sounds like it went on quite a while - long enough for me to actually question the medical staff's judgement here - perhaps he should have been pulled from the lineup sooner?
I believe they said it was injured around all-star game. As for questioning the medical staff, I wouldn't. The Flames have a pretty good reputation for how they treat their players and generally if a player is allowed to play with an injury that needs surgery, it is one that is not going to get worse with use. It might be painful, but unlikely to worsen.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
After the surgeries it was said he should be healthy by May or June IIRC so he should be healthy to train for at least a couple months let alone just showing up to training camp healthy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->