Post-Game Talk: Mon, Oct. 14th, 5pm ET: The Return of Andre´ B.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitzkrieg365

Jan 1, 2015
DMV
Panik has been invisible every game. Might be time to give him a couple games off.
I think he's been the worst of our off-season acquisitions thus far. It's still early but I have seen nothing in his game to suggest he will ever contribute anything more.

troyerlaw

Life is party again
Dec 13, 2010
Los Angeles
You probably believe that.
Just a joke. They were the first (and cheesiest) ‘iconic duo’ that came to mind. The phrase itself - iconic duo - kinda cheesy, now that i think about it.

Couple more notes ... Hagelin has hands of stone ... Hathaway made a nice play to set up Panik’s early chance... Jensen was a turnover machine in the 3rd ... wilson laid a solid hit on Orlov by accident ... Gudas has been a much better player than i expected

Reactions: Calicaps

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
I think he's been the worst of our off-season acquisitions thus far. It's still early but I have seen nothing in his game to suggest he will ever contribute anything more.
I agree. He isn't doing anything at either end of the ice. He is fighting the puck and doesn't seem to have any chemistry with his line mates.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Just a joke. They were the first (and cheesiest) ‘iconic duo’ that came to mind. The phrase itself - iconic duo - kinda cheesy, now that i think about it.

Couple more notes ... Hagelin has hands of stone ... Hathaway made a nice play to set up Panik’s early chance... Jensen was a turnover machine in the 3rd ... wilson laid a solid hit on Orlov by accident ... Gudas has been a much better player than i expected
Hey I was kidding too.

traparatus

Oct 19, 2012
Well, after a very rough start to the season, Holtby took a step back. At some point, you just have to stop the puck.

Kempny will come back eventually. This will bump Siegenthaler down to the 3rd pair and Lewington out all together. If they so wish, they can risk sending Lewington down and going with 6D. It will only take a couple of weeks to build up a little cap flexibility.

I really wish we never qualified Stephenson. It would make life so much easier right now.

Reactions: Pomee

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
Well, after a very rough start to the season, Holtby took a step back. At some point, you just have to stop the puck.

Kempny will come back eventually. This will bump Siegenthaler down to the 3rd pair and Lewington out all together. If they so wish, they can risk sending Lewington down and going with 6D. It will only take a couple of weeks to build up a little cap flexibility.

I really wish we never qualified Stephenson. It would make life so much easier right now.
I think it would have been better if we didn't sign Panik or resign Hagelin. Stephenson is out playing either of them and his salary is a lot less.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
Well, instead of third period collapses they decided to give up goals on the first three shots and four goals in nine minutes. *Ugh*

Do better, Caps! Toronto, while defensively suspect, can light up the scoreboard.

marcel snapshot

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2005
My fear about Holtby is that he's looked slow side-to-side in all his starts this year, but it was coupled tonight with a slow and heavy glove and that way-too-deep-in-the-net-positioning that produced, among other things, the inexcusable tying goal from Staal in Game 7 last year. Apart from the solid play in the Cup run (and sure, you can't be too thankful for that), you have to ask whether the body of work is saying that the guy has not really been right for a couple of years

Reactions: ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
My fear about Holtby is that he's looked slow side-to-side in all his starts this year, but it was coupled tonight with a slow and heavy glove and that way-too-deep-in-the-net-positioning that produced, among other things, the inexcusable tying goal from Staal in Game 7 last year. Apart from the solid play in the Cup run (and sure, you can't be too thankful for that), you have to ask whether the body of work is saying that the guy has not really been right for a couple of years

Post-Korn Holtby has not been good. :(

Reactions: HTFN

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Well I want to be mad about this game, and I was for a while but I kept in it, just as the Caps did. I thought the Avs are a very good team and the Caps simply couldn't hang with them but then after the first period they did.

It was an off day, it happens, I went from being worried to thinking "if Samsonov had started maybe they win this game". :dunno:

They have to figure out a way to get Fehrevary back up here and hope Kempny only takes a few games to get back up to speed once he returns.

Carlson
Orlov
Kempny
Jensen
Gudas
Fehrevary

p.s. No more GDT's for me as I am 1-2 on the season.

IafrateOvie34

May 14, 2009
I missed the first. I thought the 2nd and 3rd period were ok. Thanks for memories Holtby. A new sheriff is in town now. Caps are for sure road warriors this year.

Reactions: Calicaps

Silky mitts

It’s yours boys and girls and babes let’s go!
Mar 9, 2004
Holtby had a stop on Austin Watson after letting in 2 so he’s been scored on 5 times on 6 shots

SherVaughn30

Jan 12, 2010
Los Angeles

His goalie coaches over the years have been Dave Prior(good), Artus Urbe(good), Olaf Kolzig(not sure because Oates got in the way), Korn(excellent) and now Murray(my feeling so far that he's below average). I see Holtby reverting back his days when coach Oates was a fricken know it all and was overstepping the goalie coach, which was messing up Holtby. I think the transition from Korn to Murray has not been a good one. Murray is now a goalie coach on a NHL level, but I think his inexperience is showing in trying to help Holtby over come his issues. Korn knows how to make his goalies better by working with their strengths, but at the same having them improve on their weaknesses. Murray was basically a student assistant to Korn, but I'm not sure what exactly Murray has implemented that Korn taught him. It just hasn't been a good match for Holtby/Murray, since almost the beginning it started. I just don't see Holtby regaining some of his good form with Murray. I'm afraid it's gonna be another teams goalie coach who's experienced, to get Holtby playing well again.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Holtby up against one of the better offensive teams again. I can see the Holtby being in full force for this game.

What did you mean by "full force"? ;)

They obviously aren't ready to expose Samsonov to a team that can actually score. Keep in mind guys that Samsonov has played 2 career games. Both against teams that are challenged offensively.

Well they need to start. Caps - 3, Avs - 2 (Samsonov)

Reactions: um

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Post-Korn Holtby has not been good. :(

People keep saying this but his decline started before Korn left. Remember he was perma benched in 2018 and did not start the playoffs, under Korn. So apart from his Cup run, which included a few stolen games but was not really other wordly, he's been dreadful for basically 2 full seasons now, some of them with Korn on board.

Reactions: CapitalsCupReality

caps4cup

Dynasty
Dec 31, 2010
Holtby had a stop on Austin Watson after letting in 2 so he’s been scored on 5 times on 6 shots
He’s been the worst goalie in the league. Has let in 8 goals more than an average goalie would be expected to let in which equates to roughly 2 goals per 60 minutes. That’s the difference between the Caps being 5-1 or 6-0 and what they are now. They’re a really good team with a really bad goalie right now.

maacoshark

Jul 22, 2017
What did you mean by "full force"? ;)

Well they need to start. Caps - 3, Avs - 2 (Samsonov)
That was supposed to say Holtby haters would be in full force and they were.

As for Samsonov I'm not so quick to jump on the bandwagon. I'm a Holtby fan even though he is really pissed me off. I'm also a fan if Samsonov. I'm worried they will rush him and ruin his career. Like the Rangers did with Dan Blackburn.
Samsonov has decent numbers so far and has used his athleticism to make some good saves but he needs a lot of work on the technical part of his game.
He moves around way too much. Quite often when he is moving laterally he is pushing too hard and ends up outside the post. He hasn't controlled rebounds very well, fortunately that hasn't cost him. He also showed us that he doesn't play the puck very well. Yes he has only let in 4 goals so far. 2 of those goals were weak. With more playing time I'm pretty sure teams will exploit those weaknesses.
And Holtby. I don't know what to say. His head isn't in it. Sometimes it looks as if he is giving up. Maybe he needs a reset. Naybe he wants out of Washington because the writing is on thecwall. If he doesn't get his head out of his ass we might be forced to rush Samsonov.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad