Proposal: Mon-Jets; Price for Laine + 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015
Price's contract shouldn't be an issue since logic holds that if Laine is that good, Winnipeg would likely have to pay him similar money and term only a year after Price's deal kicks in.

If you don't see the difference between giving a huge contract to a 19 year old versus paying the same amount to a 30+ year old I don't know what to tell you. And it's not exactly like Price has been some paragon of health either.

I do feel bad for Montreal somewhat and can see why you'd want to bail on that deal.... having the Price contract AND the Weber contract has the potential to be crazy ugly down the road.

david999

Jan 21, 2011
If you don't see the difference between giving a huge contract to a 19 year old versus paying the same amount to a 30+ year old I don't know what to tell you. And it's not exactly like Price has been some paragon of health either.

I do feel bad for Montreal somewhat and can see why you'd want to bail on that deal.... having the Price contract AND the Weber contract has the potential to be crazy ugly down the road.

The difference is that Price is worth his contract if he gets you to a cup final, and he solely as a goaltender can get you there. Laine being paid 10 million a year ( if you believe he is worth it) can't on his own. Heck, he only played like 13 minutes last game and is basically on the second line.

Beige Van

Oct 4, 2009
Canada
Price would have tremendous value if this situation happened pre 2005 (before the salary cap). When all teams have a finite amount of dollars to fill out their rosters, a goalie with a cap hit like Price has greatly lowers their potential trade value. For better or worse, we are going to stick with Price for the foreseeable future. The key is filling out the areas of weakness with entry level/low cost options before Price/Weber decline. A monumental task indeed.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
The answer is still no, don't call the Jets with this offer.

Deedog99

Nov 22, 2016
The Price contract along with Weber will haunt the Habs for the next decade!!

elmaco

Feb 1, 2017
The difference is that Price is worth his contract if he gets you to a cup final, and he solely as a goaltender can get you there. Laine being paid 10 million a year ( if you believe he is worth it) can't on his own. Heck, he only played like 13 minutes last game and is basically on the second line.
Can he? Hasn't happened yet and the clock is ticking.

Spazkat

Feb 19, 2015

Because that's worked out so well for Montreal so far..... :huh:

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Helle is looking great this year so far, might take over as #1 if he keeps this up. Anyone paying agoalie 10+ million per year or trading elite forward for a goalie especially one making 10+ million per year is crazy.

Price is still a good goalie, albeit no longer the dominant best goalie in the world but still good.....but he isn't worth his contract today never mind in the future as he continues to age.

Reactions: Snowman

TMLeafs18

Aug 7, 2015
Canada
Laine + Mason for Price + Chucky is closer in my mind. No need for the Jets to do this though they already have two solid goalies that should be able to figure it out.

Hunter368

Nov 8, 2011
Laine + Mason for Price + Chucky is closer in my mind. No need for the Jets to do this though they already have two solid goalies that should be able to figure it out.

No interest in that either. You can't put enough lipstick on that pig (contract) to make it acceptable. Boat anchor contract

Ken Wreggets revenge

Sep 28, 2017
I'd love to see Jonathan Quick, Braden Holtby, Matt Murray, or another top-tier goalie stand on his head for the majority of the season year after year in front of a putrid team like the Habs.

Jonathan Quick disagrees. Elite goalies carry a team, they don't use the team as an excuse. When Quick backstopped L.A. to their two cups, the Kings finished the regular season 29th(2011-12) and 25th(2013-14) out of 30 teams in GF during the season.

To truly understand how much better of a goalie Jonathan Quick is, I suggest checking out this post where the careers of both Price and Quick are compared.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threads/3rd-vezina-for-bobrovsky-hhof.2395053/page-2#post-136445875

And if you'd like to see Carey Price's career playoff performance compared to the career playoff performance of other active leaders in playoff GP, check out the following post.

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/threa...-team-contender.2396267/page-2#post-136678375

Spoiler Alert: He's really bad in the playoffs. 16th among active NHL goaltenders in career playoff SV%, 14th among active NHL goaltenders in career playoff GAA and among active NHL goalies, he has the most career playoff GP without leading a team to a cup final.

In conclusion, Carey Price's track record says he is above average in the regular season and completely inept in the playoffs. Combined with the fact that he's on the wrong side of 30 years old and being paid 10.5M for the next 8 years (not including this season) means the Habs won't be getting 1st round picks or any player remotely close to the level of Laine. The reality of the situation is the Habs will likely have to package draft picks with Price just to get rid of him or eat a ton of his salary but that won't happen until Bergevin loses his job.

Last edited:
Reactions: Payo and Hunter368

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
Price has one elite season to his career. The rest is mediocre to good.
He is a playoff choker and has the worst contract in the league.
Even if I was desperate for a legit starting goalie, I wouldn't touch that contract.
He has negative value IMHO.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Never trade significant assets for a goalie - they're voodoo to understand and incredibly volatile going from team-to-team or system-to-system. Plus, really good ones can be had for pretty cheap prices.

GMs who trade significant assets for goalies tend to be really bad at their job (e.g. Mike Milbury).

Payo

Sep 28, 2017
cmon guys Price will stay in Mtl as long as Bergevin will be there.

the best trade I can see will be Paccioretty for Giroux.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
It's at least something to consider if you're Winnipeg. The Jets' problems this year and last have been goaltending. Hellebuyck last year and Mason this year. Price solves that. The Jets also keep their defence in tact, and they also keep their first line of Ehlers-Scheifele-Wheeler in tact.

In exchange for a world class game-breaking goalie with perhaps 8 years of great play left in him, all Winnipeg does is give up its second line winger in Laine. He plays 13 minutes a night. It's not overly difficult to replace those 13 minutes of ice time a night.

The Jets have no holes if they make this right, and perhaps be the first Canadian team to win the Stanley Cup in 25 years.

Reactions: david999

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Price for Scheifele would be an interesting deal.
If you're a Habs fan absolutely. Or a Jets hater.

Lemme see: 1st line center finished top ten in scoring year before. Signed to an absolute sweetheart of a deal for the next eight years. Arguably top ten center in the league. Defensively responsible, trains like a beast in the summer, every summer.

For a guy that is (or was) arguably the best goaltender in the league but on the wrong side of 30 with a salary $4.5 million more than the center you're acquiring. I'm a fan of Price but this would be a very dumb deal for the Jets.

Reactions: Hunter368

zeke

The Dube Abides
Mar 14, 2005
well, I don't see the Habs trading Price for anything short of a young #1C or legit #1C upside.

garyturner3

Jun 16, 2015
Price is arguably the best goalie in the world, but Laine is in my opinion one of the few truly untradeable players in the league right now. You just don't trade McDavid/Matthews/Eichel/Laine franchise type players. Not at that age anyway. No point in even discussing value.

BayStreetBully

Oct 25, 2007
Toronto
Price is arguably the best goalie in the world, but Laine is in my opinion one of the few truly untradeable players in the league right now. You just don't trade McDavid/Matthews/Eichel/Laine franchise type players. Not at that age anyway. No point in even discussing value.

McDavid, Matthews, Eichel, no trade. They are all first line centers. Laine isn't in that category. He's being used as a second line winger with 13 minutes of ice time per night. And not only do the Jets get to keep their first line in tact, they even keep their second line center too. Laine may be used more in the future, but for the purposes of this year, the Jets can contend now if they acquire Price for their second line winger.

Scheifele is a different matter. I would keep Scheifele considering his age, position, skills, versatility, multi-dimensional abilities, and the fact he is their best player. Though he would be second to Price, after this trade.

Reactions: david999
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->