Proposal: Mon-Jets; Price for Laine + 1st

Status
Not open for further replies.

loyaltotheend

May 5, 2016
St. John's
Price + for Ehlers? Who needs to get a grip? Come on man! Seriously. You don't have to like the deal but trolling the value of Price like that is very disrespectful towards Price as one of best goaltenders in the world. I get the contract concerns but it is not an unmovable contract. If you don't want Price, good luck with Mason or whoever else you think is the solution for the Jets.

Everybody who disagrees with you isn't trolling. That's not what that word means.

Price has age/contract (the latter is a big deal) working against his trade value. Factor in the lower value of goalies in trades, and that is why no one is giving you a young, star player (Laine, Ehlers etc) for him. Let alone adding two 1st round picks!!

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
Price has to be by far the most overrated trade asset used around here.
Not even close. Anyway in a vacuum, if we're trading one of the best goaltenders in the NHL the return would be something similar to a calibre player such as Laine, no 1st added. However, WPG say no obviously, MTL fans say no b/c Price is literally the team.

ijuka

May 14, 2016
Not even close. Anyway in a vacuum, if we're trading one of the best goaltenders in the NHL the return would be something similar to a calibre player such as Laine, no 1st added. However, WPG say no obviously, MTL fans say no b/c Price is literally the team.
As I pointed out earlier, using Jets' last year's goals against, replacing a .910 goalie with a .920 goalie for 60 games(estimate for the #1 goalie), it's about 21 less goals against for the season.

Laine himself scored 36 goals, which is 15 more than that. And the assists probably are worth something as well. Add contracts, age and this is seriously not close if you use any logic at all.

Price would literally have to be a .935 goalie for it to be worth it 1:1 even without considering ages or contracts, and you're kidding yourself if you think he's capable of that with Jets D.

It's amazing how many people think so highly of the impact of goalies when it comes to value above replacement. A goalie isn't a position worth paying a ton over. It only affects a single part of the game(whether opponent's shots convert), and when your team's getting run over in actual gameplay, a goalie can VERY rarely steal a match. And even when they do, a better skater could just have avoided that scenario in the first place. Even the very best goalie does essentially nothing for shot generation, shot suppression, possession in general, penalties, the flow of the game etc. and does absolutely nothing for goals for(A goalie isn't going to win you a 0-0 game, Laine might).

Last edited:

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Now I am not saying the Jets should do this trade but you guys should stop using this lame ass excuse. Laine projects to be nearly 10 mil a year, how much is Mason? So long as the Habs take Mason back you are actually saving money in 2 years time.

It is an interesting proposal from the point of view of what is Price worth. You look at the Schneider trade and he went for a high first. You look at the Stephan trade he also went for a high first. I have to think Price is worth more than that.

This trade might have made sense right after Laine was drafted but his value is way too high now.

My guess is Laine is a Jet for at least the next 8-10 years. Other than trading him for an elite D/ #1C if the Jets had some career ending injury problems on their blue line or to Scheifele, maybe then they would move him and that is still a big if.

If the Habs want to trade Price my advice would be not to bother trying to get a Laine, Eichel or Matthews type player. You probably would have to settle for a 1rst a prospect and a goalie back.
Masons contract ends when Laines new kicks in, so no we wont save any money...

A Loyal Dog

Woof!
Oct 20, 2016
Now I am not saying the Jets should do this trade but you guys should stop using this lame ass excuse. Laine projects to be nearly 10 mil a year, how much is Mason? So long as the Habs take Mason back you are actually saving money in 2 years time.

It is an interesting proposal from the point of view of what is Price worth. You look at the Schneider trade and he went for a high first. You look at the Stephan trade he also went for a high first. I have to think Price is worth more than that.

This trade might have made sense right after Laine was drafted but his value is way too high now.

My guess is Laine is a Jet for at least the next 8-10 years. Other than trading him for an elite D/ #1C if the Jets had some career ending injury problems on their blue line or to Scheifele, maybe then they would move him and that is still a big if.

If the Habs want to trade Price my advice would be not to bother trying to get a Laine, Eichel or Matthews type player. You probably would have to settle for a 1rst a prospect and a goalie back.
I agree that Price would never return an Eichel or Matthews type of player, since they're centers, and #1 centers are super hard to find. But elite wingers don't really do that much to their teams (at least not as much as someone like Price would do to a team). I understand the age factor being a concern, but it's as if people think Price's 10.5m contract is negative value, or not worth much at all... I mean, here's a guy who could win many unwinnable games on his own. He is the Montreal Canadiens: everything lies with him. He goes down, the team goes down with him. But nahhhh, goalies have no value. I'd love to see Jonathan Quick, Braden Holtby, Matt Murray, or another top-tier goalie stand on his head for the majority of the season year after year in front of a putrid team like the Habs. That's what Price does to our shit team (it really is a shit team without him). I'm all for a true rebuild, because we can't do f*** all with Price being the only one working his ass off game in, game out. But yeah... a playoff choker who got his team to the conference finals (where he got injured in game 1 - he possibly could have brought that crap team all the way to the finish line, who knows?) I wonder how much has a player like Ovechkin done for his team - a team that has a true #1C (and a great 2C too), a top-tier goalie in Holtby, solid defense all-around, solid team all around... That's right, one of the BEST wingers/snipers in the history of NHL hasn't even got past the 2nd round. Price did it with a shit team.

Now, that shit team is even shittier since Bergevin traded Subban, our best player after Price, for a f***ing dinosaur on the decline. I understand people saying "you're in win-mode", but unless Price pulls a greatest-of performance in the playoffs, we will never even smell the cup. It's sad to say, but he's truly wasting his time over here. That 10.5m is more of insurance money, but if he thinks he'll ever win the cup here, he's wrong. But it is what it is, and people still think Price's value is whatever because he's a "goalie" and he's overpaid, but it's funny how everyone treats Pacioretty like trash because he's just a winger (even when he's in the top-5 in goals scored in the past 5+ years) and Kane/Ovi, who are also wingers, like God. But that doesn't translate well with goalies. Apparently it's easy to find a talent like Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Price, etc. He's on a league of his own - and people fail to understand just what type of team he's playing in front of - and has done so for years and years. Hence why so many NHL players say he's the best, the toughest to face, etc. Remove Price from the Habs, and they are a bottom-5 team at best. There's no other team in the league (not even VGK) that is empty in the middle, and I have a hard time believing there are more than several teams out there with a worse defense than the Habs - it's that bad. We're all about them wingers who fail to show up a lot of the time, and Price Price Price.

Reactions: david999

Saitama

Oct 20, 2010
Winnipeg
Ok guy, literally nobody is even negotiating with you on this one. Every single Jets fan is saying hell no. We do not want Price for that price and we've stated our reasons why. What is it going to take to make you understand this?

Smeagoal

Jun 12, 2015
In my dreams
As I pointed out earlier, using Jets' last year's goals against, replacing a .910 goalie with a .920 goalie for 60 games(estimate for the #1 goalie), it's about 21 less goals against for the season.

Laine himself scored 36 goals, which is 15 more than that. And the assists probably are worth something as well. Add contracts, age and this is seriously not close if you use any logic at all.

Price would literally have to be a .935 goalie for it to be worth it 1:1 even without considering ages or contracts, and you're kidding yourself if you think he's capable of that with Jets D.

It's amazing how many people think so highly of the impact of goalies when it comes to value above replacement. A goalie isn't a position worth paying a ton over. It only affects a single part of the game(whether opponent's shots convert), and when your team's getting run over in actual gameplay, a goalie can VERY rarely steal a match. And even when they do, a better skater could just have avoided that scenario in the first place. Even the very best goalie does essentially nothing for shot generation, shot suppression, possession in general, penalties, the flow of the game etc. and does absolutely nothing for goals for(A goalie isn't going to win you a 0-0 game, Laine might).

First , Price can't score goals, you can't compare him to a forward who may score 40ish goals a season since the position of G is the greatest strength followed by C/D/W. 2016/2017 SC champion Pens know this as they have one of the next gen. elite G in Murray especially 2017, along with an aged Crosby/Malkin/Kessel trio. Anyway, Price takes shots in high percentage scoring areas all game with his crap abysmal bottom-4 D infront of him, Weber/Markov last year were good and Mete is holding his own now, I don't mind Alzner. Weber being a top-15 D of course helps. Byfuglien, not Shea Weber in any sense, is still a top-15 NHL D considered by both NHL.com and SI. Add in Trouba who is a top pairing D, and a mix of Morrissey/Enstrom/Myers, who arn't great but I'd say with WPG having the offence it does, better bottom-4 D and without Laine, they would still have great offence with their forward group, better than MTL that is (unless Drouin gets going).

Second, DUH. Goalies impact the biggest aspect of the game, they can stop a shooter from scoring, the better the goalie the greater the odds he stops that shooter..from..scoring, and an elite goalie such as Price can steal you games regularly in 65-ish starts a season. If you have a prime Lundqvist, Thomas, Price than you have that much better of a chance of your goalie not giving up that garbage goal, even stealing games in the PLAYOFFS, where it matters and having those goalies is a lot better than rolling in with Hellebuyck, no offence to him, but he's no Price . Go ask any Boston fan if they'd trade a prime any Bees player for prime Thomas in his 2011 playoff run, or New Jersey fans if they'd trade a prime Brodeur. 2006 Oiler fans if they'd trade Roloson, Canucks would not have made it to the finals without Luongo, Calgary had their best years with Kiprusoff.

Montreal without Price is not a playoff team. With Price, they're in contention for first in the Atlantic (obvious these first 4 games aside). Winnipeg with Laine who I think is an Ovechkin clone makes Winnipeg a playoff team, and their division is on another level to compete in. Price on WPG makes them a threat to win their division against a very, very hard group of teams.

I will reiterate what I said first time around, there is nothing wrong in a vacuum with Price for Laine, but WPG fans say no b/c I would not want to trade an OV clone, and MTL fans say no b/c Price is literally their team.

Last edited:

Pia8988

May 26, 2014
But that doesn't translate well with goalies. Apparently it's easy to find a talent like Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Price, etc. He's on a league of his own - and people fail to understand just what type of team he's playing in front of - and has done so for years and years. Hence why so many NHL players say he's the best, the toughest to face, etc. Remove Price from the Habs, and they are a bottom-5 team at best. There's no other team in the league (not even VGK) that is empty in the middle, and I have a hard time believing there are more than several teams out there with a worse defense than the Habs - it's that bad. We're all about them wingers who fail to show up a lot of the time, and Price Price Price.

One of these names is not like the others :laugh:

Last edited:
Reactions: Spazkat

kunekune

Feb 17, 2016
Laine needs to get rid of Paul Maurice as fast as possible. So yeah, would do the trade instantly.

LeapOnOver

Mackenzie is a hack!
Jan 23, 2011
Iksan, S. Korea
www.leaponover.com
Someday, this myth will die, along with the equally preposterous notion that the Habs are nothing without Price, and folks will realize that he is "merely" elite.
I agree with the faulty logic behind the trade, but I'm hard pressed to think of a goalie better than Price right now. Pray do tell who you think is the best goalie in the world oh omniscient one....

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Someday, this myth will die, along with the equally preposterous notion that the Habs are nothing without Price, and folks will realize that he is "merely" elite.

Well said. The city of Montreal and playing in the Bell Center has a way of making the elite more valuable than they are and the not so elite even less valuable than they are! Price is one darn good goaltender and certainly one of the best in the world. But he is in a group of 10 or so guys who are very close in potential and it all depends on what team they play on and how good they are in team defense. In other words, what type of shots are the goalies facing. Are they scoring chances or are they mostly outside shots. Huge difference that makes a goalie look good or look bad.

One example... Mike Smith is going to have a great year this year. He's playing on a team with a very good defense. Some people are going to say... What's up with Smith this year and where was he last year?

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I agree with the faulty logic behind the trade, but I'm hard pressed to think of a goalie better than Price right now. Pray do tell who you think is the best goalie in the world oh omniscient one....
It's not a constant. There's several guys who are among the best; there's no single one who stands out above the rest year after year after year. Price has been that standout guy once or twice, but the same is also true of guys like Lundqvist and Bobrovsky.

Zorf

Apparently I'm entitled?
Jan 4, 2008
Most of the time I get annoyed reading terrible trade offers, but every now and then you come across a gem like this one and you can't help but get excited to see the responses.

This one did not disappoint.

pspot

Dec 20, 2004
Kitchener
WPG is not a franchise goalie away from being a contender.....especially if you remove Laine
Makes no sense imo
I'd also value laine more than price considering both teams

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
The bottom line is Price gives the Jets a good chance at a cup now while Buff, Wheeler, Little, Sheif, Trouba, etc are all in the fold.

And losing a 40-50 goal scorer hurts just a bit at their chances.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->