Confirmed with Link: Mojo 3 year deal, 4.583 AAV

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011
No, only NMC must be protected.

Could be incorrect here, but I'm pretty sure I saw NMC/NTC must be protected.

If that is the case the question is does the NTC that goes into effect after the expansion draft takes place for the next upcoming season make him mandatory to protect.

Capitals40

Nov 14, 2014
Summerville, SC
Caps said they wanted to get faster this offseason...they really didn't...however, MOJO is one of the fastest players on the team ... speed means so much nowadays...he can play all three forward positions and on any of the top 3 lines...I just don't know if Trotz is the man to take the team to the finals...reminds me of Bryan Murray...excellent technical and fundamentals coach but could not go to the next level (finals).

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Caps said they wanted to get faster this offseason...they really didn't...however, MOJO is one of the fastest players on the team ... speed means so much nowadays...he can play all three forward positions and on any of the top 3 lines...I just don't know if Trotz is the man to take the team to the finals...reminds me of Bryan Murray...excellent technical and fundamentals coach but could not go to the next level (finals).

:dunno: I'm really not convinced of this. If you are basing it on his zone entries on power plays, well the opponent has one less player on the ice so it does allow MOJO space and time (which is where he excels when given both). During even strength situations, more times than not he seems to not be able to separate from a defender along the boards who ends up "gumming" MOJO up or neutralizing him and resulting in him losing possession of the puck. Chimera's speed resulted in the Caps winning a fair amount of icing situations, can't recall MOJO having a similar impact.

HockeyTS32

Jun 14, 2011

I stand corrected.

Although, it seems odd to me that the NHL would allow players that have NTC, or even modified NTC drafted through the expansion. For the most part, players want NTC or modified NTC in their contract so they don't get traded to a "rebuild" team or a team that is routinely in the bottom of the standings year in and year out.

Mothra

The Groovy Guru
Jul 16, 2002
Parts Unknown
Visit site

I think this "the game is about speed now" thing is not really accurate. I see this from media, GMs, posters. I think its more about quickness. Chimera was fast, he isnt quick. And while the Penguins were fast it was their quickness that gave teams trouble. Thats being physically quick and making quick decisions with and without the puck.

Thats what leads to a "fast" game IMO

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
i thought what they were talking about is playing fast. playing fast is not skating fast. its quick decisions and quick crisp puck movement. i could be wrong.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
The thing Mojo needs to improve on is board work. When sending a puck up or off the boards, hit it harder. Everytime he sends a puck its so slow the opposing team can get to it.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Our overall team passing was atrocious, especially for a prez team. I think I can remember maybe 5-10 games where I was impressed with what I would call west coast grade passing attacks.

We want to get faster? No player can skate as fast as a pass. Crisp accurate passing hitting guys in stride, is THE key to playing fast. I bet if the average speed of all NHL players were compiled by team, we would find the difference between and fastest and slowest team is negligible. Same thing with slap shots speeds. What's left?

It's passing that makes a team play fast. Barry has got to figure out his passing attack. It's really simple. 1. Skate to an open area. 2. Lift your head up and look for someone to pass to. 3. Pass it as hard as you can accurately do so.

MJ seems like he can pass fast, he just can't do much with it when he receives it. He coughs up the puck as the D closes on him.

PB12

Jul 7, 2015
Our overall team passing was atrocious, especially for a prez team. I think I can remember maybe 5-10 games where I was impressed with what I would call west coast grade passing attacks.

We want to get faster? No player can skate as fast as a pass. Crisp accurate passing hitting guys in stride, is THE key to playing fast. I bet if the average speed of all NHL players were compiled by team, we would find the difference between and fastest and slowest team is negligible. Same thing with slap shots speeds. What's left?

It's passing that makes a team play fast. Barry has got to figure out his passing attack. It's really simple. 1. Skate to an open area. 2. Lift your head up and look for someone to pass to. 3. Pass it as hard as you can accurately do so.

MJ seems like he can pass fast, he just can't do much with it when he receives it. He coughs up the puck as the D closes on him.

Especially against the boards for him. I

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
My gut sense has been that Trotz doesn't want to emphasize crisp, effective passing because that can lead to overconfidence and turnovers. Better to keep the game slower and choppy so as to manage risk while glossing over the reward potential if done right. All of which goes back to the altar of "structure" over everything else.

If Johansson was a weaker back-checker I don't think they'd have kept him. Despite zero PK time, he's typically been reliable defensively and for this coaching staff that's probably valued more than it ought to be (in the bigger picture of individual forward strengths and their developmental imperatives).

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
"Crisp crisp crisp"...I'm sensing next year's playoff theme is going to have something to do with "crisp"

Corby78

65 - 10 - 20
Jan 14, 2014
Ramstein Germany
I think this "the game is about speed now" thing is not really accurate. I see this from media, GMs, posters. I think its more about quickness. Chimera was fast, he isnt quick. And while the Penguins were fast it was their quickness that gave teams trouble. Thats being physically quick and making quick decisions with and without the puck.

Thats what leads to a "fast" game IMO

This is exactly right. Fast decision, quick movements, not holding the puck but moving it, quick counter attack, ect.. Chimi was A to B fast, but not what penguins utilized.

twabby

Mar 9, 2010
I think mobility is still required, even if straight line speed isn't. No one's going to confuse Karl Alzner for the NHL's fastest skater, but he's incredibly mobile and that helps make him valuable. You rarely see him get beat by an opponent because he is technically very gifted and he knows how to read forwards.

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
Marge re-signs.

meh_emma_stone.gif

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Been out of town, so I just saw this news. Pretty much a hot take, without much time to digest or look up proper comparables.

Solid deal. Not a steal, but hardly a bank breaker. Leaves plenty of room to sign Orlov. Very easy to trade at this salary should they need to clear a protection spot prior to the expansion draft or next year's cap crunch. Buying up two UFA years at this price is good, and it validates them opting for a one-year arbitration award last year. $4.58M for a flexible top nine option who excels on one special team (and a lot of us would like to see him also get time on the PK again) is pretty solid. I'm very skeptical they would have been able to find a better use of that cap/roster space for 2016-17 at this stage in the off-season.

Next off-season will be really interesting, given both the expansion draft and the general status of the Capitals roster. Johansson will be very movable should they need to clear cap space or protection slots for other players. I don't think it's a guarantee he will be moved, or even automatically the correct decision. For instance, I would like to see more from Oshie at even-strength before they commit to Oshie the ~$6Mish he's likely to command on the open market (based on the going rate for established top six wingers this past off-season). Williams will be an interesting case, depending on how he plays this upcoming season and how much concern they have regarding his play declining. GMGM re-upped Knuble in a similar situation, but Knuble's play dove off a cliff afterwards. Fortunately, Williams already took one short-term value deal to sign here, so hopefully he's willing to take another if there's a mutual interest in him staying. There's a possibility one or both of those players stay, and Johansson is forced out due to salary crunch. But with Johansson under contract, they now have relative security should Oshie and Williams decide to test the open market.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
For that money he should be able to PK

And don't tell me we cannot risk him blocking shots, or that he cannot do it.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
For that money he should be able to PK

And don't tell me we cannot risk him blocking shots, or that he cannot do it.

If you are talking about 90, he can pk and has pk'd. That he doesnt is a matter of having other players that do it. Backstrom is a pretty strong pk player but he is only used that way on occasion.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->