Bring Back Bucky

May 19, 2004
Canadas Ocean Playground
Chaos said:
Give

It

Up

:shakehead

I thought I was on your ignore list because you didn't like me picking on Pearly Whites; that's what you claimed when you were calling me names on the Dallas Board. Now my feelings are badly hurt because you didn't keep your word. Wish I had my own poodle to console me...
By the way, do the posters in your bedroom of all your favorite prospects in their army suits help you feel better when you're insulting people??

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
Just to note that Bob is not paid during the lockout, unlike the man who called for the lockout and cancelled the season, Gary Bettman.

i thought it was kind of sad when the NHL announced it was laying off all those people who worked for it...someone asked bettman if he and the other high ups in the NHL were going to take paycuts and he said flat out no

Chili

En boca cerrada no entran moscas
Jun 10, 2004
likea said:
hey Chili
I don't think linkage was ever the end game for bettman and crew. I really feel the put linkage up so they can back off it and make it look like a salary cap is a good offer.

likea...I don't know what their strategy was but I would think linkage would be close to critical for some. Less money paid out when times are tough, more paid out when good times return. It really would make the two sides partners and working towards the same goal. I talked about a players vote but I would have also liked to have seen an owners vote on their $42.5 million final offer. I think it left a few teams uneasy.

Chaos

And the winner is...
Sep 2, 2003
TX
Bring Back Bucky said:
I thought I was on your ignore list because you didn't like me picking on Pearly Whites; that's what you claimed when you were calling me names on the Dallas Board. Now my feelings are badly hurt because you didn't keep your word. Wish I had my own poodle to console me...
By the way, do the posters in your bedroom of all your favorite prospects in their army suits help you feel better when you're insulting people??

What the hell are you talking about?

SENSible1*

Levitate said:
speculating on what kind of deal they could have gotten at the beginning of the season is just that...speculation

during the summer and at the beginning of the season, all we heard from bettman and co. was $31 mill hard cap. if the players had offered to play under a hard cap and it was put in around $45-$47 mill, people around here would have FREAKED out and lamented about how the owners absolutely caved.

no, things would have still drug on because the league would have tried to negotiate it down as much as they could

The PA would have been better going for linkage at the higher % Egil mentioned. Without the work stoppage league revenues would likely have continued to rise well beyond the $45-47 cap range. Not to mention the fact that the PA would have 1.2B they have lost.

Icey

Jan 23, 2005
ODC said:
There's a story about Modano from his North Star days.

It was about early 90's or so, the GM came down to talk to the team in a meeting room. I think it was near the end of the season.

Said something to the effect of: "I like all of you guys, but unfortunately we don't have the space in our budget to resign all of you. So I'd just like to say if any of you won't be coming back, its not because of your performance on the ice."

I think Modano was just resigned recently to a fat contract, everybody in the room turned and looked at Mike and he crossed his arms and said "Sorry guys, guess some of you have to go".

In Mike's North Stars days his salary was

89-90 $135,000
90-91 $150,000
91-92 $600,000
92-93 $600,000

That's the end of the Northstar days. They moved to Dallas at the beginning of the 93 season.

Which FAT contract are you referring to???? And you suppose you know this because you were in the room??

Considering he was a #1 draft pick, I don't find any of those contracts outrageous or in your eyes "FAT".

Levitate

Jul 29, 2004
but I would have also liked to have seen an owners vote on their $42.5 million final offer. I think it left a few teams uneasy.

george mcphee said on the radio yesterday that he knew at least 13 teams would have voted against that offer and they were mad at bettman for making it. however...i don't particularly trust anything anyone says about this whole deal, it also sounded like he was making excuses for bettman and trying to paint him in the best light possible

the problem is the argument against such a cap is the whole "well if we spent that much money we couldn't survive!" well, surprise! you don't have to spend that much money! it's not a floor, it's a cap! whee!! all the commentary about that kind of stuff is just smoke. and i find it hard to believe that teams were willing to accept $40 mill but not $42.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad