[MOD] Why is Pyatt still on the team?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bootscraper

Jul 22, 2012
New Jersey
Still trying to figure out why Taylor Pyatt is on this roster. I mean, what does the guy do well ? I would prefer Fast to Pyatt in the lineup. And don't give me the toughness b.s. Also, as a side note, Cally playing with Boyle and Pyatt is a disgrace as well. (Hopefully just because he is getting used to playing again):shakehead

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Miller and Fast are not ready for full-time NHL duty.

I was hoping one of Kreider or Lindberg would push a veteran out of the lineup in camp, but that didn't happen.

Believe it or not, Pyatt is our best option at bottom-6 LW.

More optimistic post:

SHOWCASE!

satrabyk

Dec 10, 2008
First Pyatt brings more than Richards!, Dorsett and Boyle (on most nights) so start a thread about those 3 and than Pyatt. OK!.

PlamsUnlimited

Big Church Bells
May 14, 2010
New York
Miller and Fast are not ready for full-time NHL duty.

I was hoping one of Kreider or Lindberg would push a veteran out of the lineup in camp, but that didn't happen.

Believe it or not, Pyatt is our best option at bottom-6 LW.

More optimistic post:

SHOWCASE!

Lindberg is right there I think. Next season is his time. Isn't that when Pyatt's contract is up?

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
Bingo.

All the guys I mentioned should make big pushes for full-time NHL next season. Some should be making their cases come December.

Honestly, we say this every year. Lately all the players who should be forcing themselves in to the line-up have not been able to hack it thus far.

I really can't see 4-5 new guys coming in to the line-up in one year. I think we need to face the reality that some of these guys will never even make it, and some are much further away than we hope.

Right now most of HFNYR are assuming the following prospects will be roster players as soon as next year:

Fast, Kristo, Lindberg, Miller, Kreider, Hrivik.

When do you ever see that happen? I honestly cannot believe even half of that list will make the NHL as of next year as much as we'd like to think so. Best case scenario in my mind is Miller and Kreider getting permanent spots this year, and then two of Fast, Kristo, Lindberg and Hrivik getting in next year.

That also means the Rangers have to shed 4 current forwards:

Pyatt
Asham
Pouliot
Richards

Those would be obvious choices, but then who after that?

Boyle
Moore (Edit)

A lot of people want Boyle gone, but for the wrong reasons. Unless the kids play lights out, I doubt he goes. If he does go they will trade him at some point.

Too much has to go completely right for all of these kids to be in the NHL as soon as everyone would like them.

Blue Blooded

Most people rejected his message
Oct 25, 2010
Stockholm
Honestly, we say this every year. Lately all the players who should be forcing themselves in to the line-up have not been able to hack it thus far.

I really can't see 4-5 new guys coming in to the line-up in one year. I think we need to face the reality that some of these guys will never even make it, and some are much further away than we hope.

Right now most of HFNYR are assuming the following prospects will be roster players as soon as next year:

When do you ever see that happen? I honestly cannot believe even half of that list will make the NHL as of next year as much as we'd like to think so. Best case scenario in my mind is Miller and Kreider getting permanent spots this year, and then two of Fast, Kristo, Lindberg and Hrivik getting in next year.

Pyatt
Asham
Pouliot
Richards

Boyle
Moore (Edit)

A lot of people want Boyle gone, but for the wrong reasons. Unless the kids play lights out, I doubt he goes. If he does go they will trade him at some point.

Too much has to go completely right for all of these kids to be in the NHL as soon as everyone would like them.

I don't want to keep Boyle, not because he is a bad player but because someone is going to throw stupid money at him á la Gaustad and I don't want any part of that. He is already borderline overpaid at $1.7M and I don't think he is going to get a decrease in pay as a UFA.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge

Pyatt
Asham
Pouliot
Richards

Boyle
Moore (Edit)

I agree with you, that's why I said should, and not will ;)

I don't suspect all the guys you listed (not as high on Kristo as others) to actually be contenders, but they have the potential to be.

Also wouldn't surprise me to see some of them go in a trade later in the year, but this is another topic for another day.

On the other hand, had you told me that Chris Kreider wouldn't have made the team's opening night roster even with Callahan and Hagelin being out of the lineup, I'd have told you that you were crazy :laugh:

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
The same reason why a talented young job candidate doesn't immediately get to replace a longstanding member of a business, even though he may be better at the same job.

Credentials. The boss knows he can trust the guy. He shows up to work on time, puts in his hours, and does not ask for raises. The boss knows his strengths and weaknesses, hat he won't crack under pressure.

Are we clear? I wanted Pyatt gone, but too many poster son this board have an inflexible, 2-dimensional way of thinking.

16 To Stanley*

First Pyatt brings more than Richards!, Dorsett and Boyle (on most nights) so start a thread about those 3 and than Pyatt. OK!.

Is this a joke? In Richards worst season, last year, he was still on pace for 60 points.

When has pyatt even sniffed that.

Absolutely laughable. Some of you are so blinded by your biases you can't tell the difference between a productive player and an unproductive one.

The other 2 guys you mentioned are also better than Pyatt, but i won't go into why, since you so clearly are not aware of a players value.

16 To Stanley*

The same reason why a talented young job candidate doesn't immediately get to replace a longstanding member of a business, even though he may be better at the same job.

Credentials. The boss knows he can trust the guy. He shows up to work on time, puts in his hours, and does not ask for raises. The boss knows his strengths and weaknesses, hat he won't crack under pressure.

Are we clear? I wanted Pyatt gone, but too many poster son this board have an inflexible, 2-dimensional way of thinking.

FWIW, he seemed a lot more fit to play then either Fast or Miller in both the pre-season and first regular season game.

He shouldn't be playing 15 minutes a night. I really don't want him on the roster either, but he's an NHL caliber player.

Ail

Based and Rangerspilled.
Nov 13, 2009
Boomerville
I agree with you, that's why I said should, and not will ;)

I don't suspect all the guys you listed (not as high on Kristo as others) to actually be contenders, but they have the potential to be.

Also wouldn't surprise me to see some of them go in a trade later in the year, but this is another topic for another day.

On the other hand, had you told me that Chris Kreider wouldn't have made the team's opening night roster even with Callahan and Hagelin being out of the lineup, I'd have told you that you were crazy :laugh:

Yeah sorry. I didn't mean to target you specifically even though I quoted you. It's just the mentality in general.

I agree with Fitzy though, I'd rather see a prospect fumbling than Pyatt fumbling all season. At least we know one of them has a future with NYR beyond their current contract.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Av is going to start the season and get a feel for the team.

When McLean took over the Devils the guys he played the most were his trusted Albany guys.

I will guarantee this; the roster we start the season with will not be the roster we end it with. Having the right mix come playoff time is the real essential factor, not in the first week.

Riverdale

Jan 14, 2012
No-one would care about Pyatt if Richards, for example, showed up. Same as last year. If Richards, Gabby showed up then no-one would be bothered with Pyatt being in the lineup.

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
The short answer: Because it's one game into the season.

16 To Stanley*

No-one would care about Pyatt if Richards, for example, showed up. Same as last year. If Richards, Gabby showed up then no-one would be bothered with Pyatt being in the lineup.

Not saying Pyatt is dead weight necessarily, but this post is all sorts of wrong.

You're basically saying if the top guys perform, it's completely fine to have dead weight in your lineup....

I don't care if Richards, Gaborik, Stepan, Nash are putting up 40 goals a piece, having a weak link in the lineup is unnaceptable, especially with the prices guys are signing for these days.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Miller should stay in the AHL unless a spot opens up at center, and that's obviously not Pyatt's spot.

These things I'm sure you know are not all cut and dried who plays wing?--who plays center?--as we're seeing this year Richards on the wing or we've seen Boyle, Dubinsky or Anisimov on the wing before. Miller is a flexible player--he can go back and forth if need be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->