Mock Top 10 w/your reasons for picks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
What I want is a topic on who YOUR Top10 will be. Please say why on your choices...

1. Sidney Crosby...His numbers have been astounding. Durability is the only real question. Everything about him screams "Franchise Player."

2. Gilbert Brule...Johnson is really good. The team picking will have alot to do with the choice

3. Jack Johnson...Top dman. Size may be a factor but his skillset and style of play seem ideal. Like Mike Green but more upside

4. Bobby Ryan...Just keeps rising up lists. Must be a reason.

5. Guillaime Latendresse...Early top5. Dropped out of Top10 but back healthy and back in. Skills say this guy can play.

6. Ryan O'Mara...Solid gritty forward from Erie.

7. Benoit Poulliot...In and out of Top10. I say he winds up in.

8. Marek Zagrapan...I keep waiting for him to hit the wall. Finesse player.

9. Anze Kopitar...I have a feeling this guy winds up Top10. Never seen his name on any list. You read it here first!

10. Mark Staal...Good size and offensive skills. Love the bloodlines. You could also see Kindl here

Ok guys...why am I wrong?

Blue Bullet

Feb 27, 2002
Bon Accord, AB
Visit site
Not a bad list except for Staal in the top 10. He has good bloodlines but for d-man I would definitely rank Kindl and Bourdon ahead of him. I don't see Stall going until 20+.

Your top 8 guys would all be in my top 10 but I would put Bergfors ahead of Kopitar and Bourret would also be in there.

Vlad The Impaler

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
borro said:

You're wrong because traditionally, you've never been right about anything. Ever. Which is quite an accomplishment, IMO.

Hey, you asked.

PS: You're also wrong in that the minute the Caps draft a guy, he's going to go up on your list. That is going to be fun.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The upcoming draft will be so hard to predict with the number of players that keep popping in and out of all the top 10 lists out there (and in here).

leafaholix*

Fact is that atleast 1 of these guys will likely fall out of the top 30 in the actual draft.

After a couple years on these boards I've come to the realization that mock drafts mean nothing.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:
Fact is that atleast 1 of these guys will likely fall out of the top 30 in the actual draft.

After a couple years on these boards I've come to the realization that mock drafts mean nothing.

Yeah. Especially when you don't even have the order of teams picking.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
Carl O'Steen said:

2 years and 20,000 posts hey? :lol

Meat Wave

Apr 4, 2003
Canada
monster_bertuzzi said:
Look for McCardle to sneak in.

I would be very surprised. Now, don't get me wrong... I'm very big on McArdle too, but I don't know if he has the offensive upside to be considered a early candidate to a top 10 pick. I know he's playing like mad for Moose Jaw this season, but not too long ago, he was still considered by most WHL followers as a hard-working grinder. He made some huge steps in the offensive part of the game, but is that enough to be considered a top 10 selection just yet? I'll wait until I see him in the CHL prospect game before starting to make this kind of assumptions.

Guig

Jun 17, 2003
Qc
borro said:
5. Guillaime Latendresse...Early top5. Dropped out of Top10 but back healthy and back in. Skills say this guy can play.

Once I was high on him until I saw him play. IMO this guys don't even worth a first round pick. This guys doesn't have the vision.

Form and Substance

Jun 11, 2004
1.Sidney Crosby...Amazing Talent at such an early age, afraid he might have topped a bit early but it doesn't seem like it as of today...Fast and strong with the most incredible vision of any junior player of the last 10 years

2.Gilbert Brule...Fast, feisty player...Could eventually wind-up being a franchise player for any team, most likely a first-line player...slight in build but still pretty damn strong

3.Bobby Ryan...I've been extremely impressed with his game...soft hands, big player...Can work very effectively down low...needs work on his skating and defensive game but what an awesom prospect

4.Marek Zagrapan...smooth silky player with lots of flash and grit for a player of his skillset...all-star potential

5.Jack Johnson...Hard hitting d-man with some great offensive upside, he plays a physical game and can dominate in certain instances...His exclusion in the American WJC squad speaks more about the incompetence of the coaches than of his talent.

6.Alex Bourret...Size is not an issue when you're this strong and powerful...fast, agile, crafty and possessing some of the most wicked offensive arsenal in the Q, he's definitely something special in the making.

7.Carey Price...Big Goalie with strong puck control and good reflexes...plays the game with utmost concentration and calm...very impressive for a 17 year old..future #1 goalie

8.Benoit Pouliot...Not completely sold on him, nevertheless I do think he has the best combination of skating skill and size in the entire draft...His late b-day status worries me a little and until he can truly prove his mettle in the OHL, I'll remain skeptical of this pick.

9.Guillaume Latendresse...Getting a lot of flak because of his supposed lack of vision...this guy still has the tools and hands of an elite power forward, although he hasn't yet found the physical side of his game yet...Punishing hitter (albeit rarely done)...Lots of talent, has picked up his game in the second half

10.Jakub Kindl...dropping off a lot of top 10 lists because of his inconsistent play, he nevertheless shows progress in his development...lots of skill for a player his size...top 2 dman potential

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
1. Crosby: We all know what he can do
2. Johnson: Potential franchise defender. He'll be taken ahead of Brule because good forwards are in high supply this year.
3. Brule: A top two- maybe even a first overall- pick had Crosby taken up footie instead of hockey.
4. Ryan: His style of game is suited to the pros. One of the safest picks of the draft.
5. Zagrapan: The usual European forward in terms of offensive skills, but gritty too.
6. Bourret: Relentless physical play could cause injury issues later, but he's got the heart and hands to succeed otherwise.
7. Pouliot: He could very well overtake Bourret in terms of draft position. Useful in any role on a club if his scoring touch doesn't translate to the pros.
8. Lavasseur: The hype around the kid is at an all-time high, but it's warrented. In a similar situation as JDD was in the Q, and has been stellar in the crease.
9. Kindl: He's fallen a fair ways since the initial buzz around him in September. However, if a team was desperate for D, the risk might be worth it.
10. Rask: A WJC appearance allowed most North American fans to get their first glimpse of him, and he didn't disappoint. Had a stellar 0.936 SV% and allowed 3 goals in 2 starts.

Ville Isopaa

Feb 27, 2002
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
Mr Bugg said:
10. Rask: A WJC appearance allowed most North American fans to get their first glimpse of him, and he didn't disappoint. Had a stellar 0.936 SV% and allowed 3 goals in 2 starts.

I doubt Rask will go in the top 10. In the 1st round? Most likely, but not in the top 10.
But that's not why I'm posting this. I wonder where you got those stats? On the official IIHF page, which is correct he played 5 games, had a 0.9016 SV% and a 2.96 GAA... These stats are not all that stellar..

Flames Draft Watcher

Feb 27, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
borro said:

Well you don't have a goalie in your top 10. If you've followed draft trends and tendencies over the past 5 years you'd notice that goalies tend to go high, and usually higher than a lot of people on this board think they will/should go. The last time a goalie was not taken in the top 10 was 1998. Since then at least one goalie has gone in the top 10 and there were two years that two goalies were taken in the top 10.

Given that some scouting services have multiple goalies in the top 10 I think it's safe to say that at least one will go. It is the most important position in hockey.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
1. Crosby- Simply put.

2. Jack Johnson- Im almost certain he's going to go number 2. The top d-man in the draft.

3. Brule- gritty, plays to hit, fast...can become a franchise player.

4. Pouliot- Big, Strong Power Forward.

5. Zagrapan- Skilled, Flashy, Can Score, Finesse player...

6. B. Ryan- Keeps getting better and better...

7. Bourdon- Will go ahead of Kindl, second best D-man.

8. Latendresse- Injury got his stock down and but he's fully recovered now, and playing extremely well. Very skilled...

9. Bergfors- Top swedish prospect. nice puckhandling...has a good WJC.

10. Bourret or Kindl...

BuppY

xGoodwillx
Dec 24, 2003
relatednews.net
Jackson and Brule are going to fight for the 2nd spot in the draft, it will depend on what team is drafting and what their need is.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
Yeap. Depends on the team philosophy. If they're stupid they'll fill their need. If they're smart they'll get the best prospect available.
If i was the GM of Toronto...while we do need a forward...and if Johnson was ranked 2nd and Brule 3rd...i would take Johnson, even if he's a defenseman. But thats just how i feel...

hfboardsuser

Nov 18, 2004
I doubt Rask will go in the top 10. In the 1st round? Most likely, but not in the top 10.
But that's not why I'm posting this. I wonder where you got those stats? On the official IIHF page, which is correct he played 5 games, had a 0.9016 SV% and a 2.96 GAA... These stats are not all that stellar

Oops. I did it by hand, and forgot to tally the playoff round games into it. He had 4 starts, in which he tallied a 0.906 SV% and a 2.50 GAA. He didn't start the game against Canada, remember- he came in after the 5th Canadian goal. Rask only had one bad game, and that was the 5-4 win against Sweden in which he allowed 4 goals on 18 shots. If it weren't for that game, he'd of had a 0.928 SV% and 2.00 GAA.

Captain Conservative

Apr 1, 2004
My Blue Heaven
borro said:
What I want is a topic on who YOUR Top10 will be. Please say why on your choices...

1. Sidney Crosby...His numbers have been astounding. Durability is the only real question. Everything about him screams "Franchise Player."

2. Gilbert Brule...Johnson is really good. The team picking will have alot to do with the choice

3. Jack Johnson...Top dman. Size may be a factor but his skillset and style of play seem ideal. Like Mike Green but more upside

4. Bobby Ryan...Just keeps rising up lists. Must be a reason.

6. Ryan O'Mara...Solid gritty forward from Erie.

7. Benoit Poulliot...In and out of Top10. I say he winds up in.

8. Marek Zagrapan...I keep waiting for him to hit the wall. Finesse player.

9. Anze Kopitar...I have a feeling this guy winds up Top10. Never seen his name on any list. You read it here first!

10. Mark Staal...Good size and offensive skills. Love the bloodlines. You could also see Kindl here

Marc Staal and Anze Kopitar in the top ten? Awful. What did you read that convinced you to put these two in the top ten?

HABracadabra

Feb 27, 2002
Montreal
Visit site
MaDdY said:
1. Crosby- Simply put.

2. Jack Johnson- Im almost certain he's going to go number 2. The top d-man in the draft.

3. Brule- gritty, plays to hit, fast...can become a franchise player.

4. Pouliot- Big, Strong Power Forward.

5. Zagrapan- Skilled, Flashy, Can Score, Finesse player...

6. B. Ryan- Keeps getting better and better...

7. Bourdon- Will go ahead of Kindl, second best D-man.

8. Latendresse- Injury got his stock down and but he's fully recovered now, and playing extremely well. Very skilled...

9. Bergfors- Top swedish prospect. nice puckhandling...has a good WJC.

10. Bourret or Kindl...

If that turn to be right with Bourret in 10, you can be sure that Q president Gilles Courteau will get drunk for the next 4 months...... Could you imagine 5 guys from the Q in the top 10?

That is simply put completely crazy...

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
Blue Bullet said:
Not a bad list except for Staal in the top 10. He has good bloodlines but for d-man I would definitely rank Kindl and Bourdon ahead of him. I don't see Stall going until 20+.

Your top 8 guys would all be in my top 10 but I would put Bergfors ahead of Kopitar and Bourret would also be in there.

Good comments about Staal. He is definitely a reach for Top 10. Here's why I like him.

1. His size at the same age leads some to believe he will be bigger than his brother Eric. That is one imposing defenseman with some skills too!

2. I love the bloodlines

3. Bigger guys are often a tad slower developing. This may give him more upside.

Having said that, Kindl and Bourdon have downsides too, so if you are looking at a dman, Staal is a good choice.

Last edited:

borro

Oct 8, 2002
Texas
Visit site
monster_bertuzzi said:
Look for McCardle to sneak in.

I don't know McCardle. Tell em about him. I could look but I'd rther get a summary from someone who has seen him. That isn't a name I have heard Top10.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->