Mock draft (march edition)

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
1. Rasmus Dahlin, D (Frolunda - SHL)
2. Andrei Svechnikov, RW (Barrie - OHL)
3. Filip Zadina, LW (Halifax - QMJHL)
4. Adam Boqvist, D (Brynas - SuperElit)
5. Brady Tkachuk, LW (Boston University)
6. Oliver Wahlstrom, RW (U18 - USNDP)
7. Noah Dobson, D (Acadie-Bathurst - QMJHL)
8. Quinton Hughes, D (University of Michigan)
9. Evan Bouchard, D (London - OHL)
10. Ty Smith, D (Spokane - WHL)
11. Joe Veleno, C (Drummondville - QMJHL)
12. Joel Farabee, LW (U18 - USNDP)
13. Isac Lundestrom, C (Lulea - SHL)
14. Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C (Assat - Liiga)
15. Grigori Denisenko, LW (Yaroslavl - MHL)
16. Dominik Bokk, RW (Vaxjo - SuperElit)
17. Rasmus Kupari, C (Karpat - Liiga)
18. Barrett Hayton, C (Sault Ste. Marie - OHL)
19. Bode Wilde, D (U18 - USNDP)
20. Akil Thomas, C (Niagara - OHL)
21. Jett Woo, D (Moose Jaw - WHL)
22. Serron Noel, RW (Oshawa - OHL)
23. Jared McIsaac, D (Halifax - QMJHL)
24. Ryan Merkley, D (Guelph - OHL)
25. Rasmus Sandin, D (Sault Ste. Marie - OHL)
26. Jacob Olofsson, C (Timra - AllSvenskan)
27. Mattias Samuelsson, D (U18 - USNDP)
28. Adam Ginning, D (Linkoping - SHL)
29. Ryan McLeod, C (Mississauga - OHL)
30. Martin Kaut, RW (Pardubice - Czech Extraliga)
31. K'Andre Miller, D (U18 - USNDP)

Reactions: flyersdad

Dukeordan

Apr 15, 2016
Hayton and Merkley are going to be the steals of this draft. It'll take both of them 5 years or so, but once they fully develop, they will be the top 2 players in this draft imo. And yes, better than Dahlin...

Hayton won't put up the most points, but he'll be a perennial Selke candidate, and a player you can build a winning team around.

Merkley: This kid is so skilled it's not even fair. If he's even a little above average defensively, he'll be better than Karlsson. I know Dahlin is amazing, and is NHL ready, and also makes jaw dropping plays, but what Merkley does night in and night out, I've never seen before in the CHL.

Just my opinions, so take it for what it's worth. :)

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
Merkley: This kid is so skilled it's not even fair. If he's even a little above average defensively, he'll be better than Karlsson. I know Dahlin is amazing, and is NHL ready, and also makes jaw dropping plays, but what Merkley does night in and night out, I've never seen before in the CHL.
Merkley is so far from below average defense it isn't even funny. I'll be shocked if he even get to the point of being an average defensive player. He is an offensive dynamo yes, but he is so disinterested in his own end that he'd be lucky to end up in the conversation of top 20 player in this draft.

Reactions: Kevin Musto

Dukeordan

Apr 15, 2016
Merkley is so far from below average defense it isn't even funny. I'll be shocked if he even get to the point of being an average defensive player. He is an offensive dynamo yes, but he is so disinterested in his own end that he'd be lucky to end up in the conversation of top 20 player in this draft.
I hear ya, and I completely agree. But he's still so young, and a lot of players where the game comes so easy to them often fail to pay attention to detail. All I'm saying is that this kids skill level is off the charts. He has such an offensive mind that I sort of wish he played forward. And if a coach can convince him to play defense, he has a chance to be as good as Dahlin.

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
I hear ya, and I completely agree. But he's still so young, and a lot of players where the game comes so easy to them often fail to pay attention to detail. All I'm saying is that this kids skill level is off the charts. He has such an offensive mind that I sort of wish he played forward. And if a coach can convince him to play defense, he has a chance to be as good as Dahlin.
I don't think Merkley has the potential to become as good as Dahlin, but if he learns to play defense, I could definitely see him in the top 10 dman in this draft, maybe even top 5. Inthink Merkley would be better off as a forward because he is so good on the offensive end. He's a great passer, and a powerplay qurterback for sure, but where he is young I hope he either considers to teach himself to play proper defense, or find a coach that does it for him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad