Mock Draft Lottery

Status
Not open for further replies.

bit82

Jul 12, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
I did mock draft lottery based on tsn's article about how the draft lottery will be structured. http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature.asp?fid=7314
I did this 30 times to see how it turns out. Here are the results
OTT won 6 times (1 ball)
PIT won 4 times (3 balls)
NYI won 3 times (1 ball)
CHI won 2 times (2 balls)
MTL won 2 times (1 ball)
NYR won 2 times (3 balls)
MIN won 2 times (2 balls)
BUF won 2 times (3 balls)
ANA won 1 time (2 bals)
LA won 1 times (2 balls)
STL won 1 time (1 ball)
PHI won 1 time (1 ball)
CBJ won 1 time (3 balls)
TOR won 1 time (1 ball)
CAR won 1 time (2 balls)

teams with 3 balls won a combined 9 times. (this consisted of 4 teams)
teams with 2 balls won a combined 7 times. (this consisted of 10 teams)
teams with 1 ball won a combined 14 times. (this consisted of 16 teams)

according to this poll, the 4 teams that have 3 balls each will win 30% of the time.
according to this poll, the 10 teams that have 2 balls each will win 23.3% of the time.
according to this poll, the 16 teams that have 1 ball each will win 46.7% of the time.

This poll gave me the idea that the 4 teams that have 3 balls each have the best chance of winning (each of those teams with about a 7.5% chance of winning). Even though the 1 ball teams won the most, 16 teams won a combined 14 times. This gives each one of the 1 ball teams about a 2.9% chance of winning).

Last edited:

bit82

Jul 12, 2005
Pittsburgh, PA
Impossibles said:
How did you simulate the random results?
I wrote down every team on pieces of paper the same size and put the amount of balls which in this case was paper and picked them out a box after the box was shaken so that the same pieces of paper weren't all in the same areas. That's how i did it.

dmcilvan

Oct 25, 2004
There's a 25% chance that a team with three balls with win the lottery(12/48)
There's a 41.67% chance that a team with two balls with win the lottery(20/48)
There's a 33.33% chance that a team with one ball with win the lottery(16/48)

I don't really see how doing a bunch of trials works better for percentages than just some simple math, but it's still interesting that Ottawa won 6 times.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
This is all irrelevant since the draft order wont be determined by the average of a number of draws but by a single, final draw in which anything can happen. We all know the odds: a team with 3 balls has 3 chances out of 48; a team with 2 balls has a 2 in 48 chance and a team with 1 ball has a chance in 48. Those are the odds and they cannot change no matter how much you try.

Potted Plant

May 30, 2003
Tuscaloosa, AL
Visit site
dmcilvan said:
There's a 25% chance that a team with three balls with win the lottery(12/48)
There's a 41.67% chance that a team with two balls with win the lottery(20/48)
There's a 33.33% chance that a team with one ball with win the lottery(16/48)

I don't really see how doing a bunch of trials works better for percentages than just some simple math, but it's still interesting that Ottawa won 6 times.

But what is a 3-ball team's chances of getting in the top 7? The top 15? What are the chances that a particular 1-ball team gets a top 5 pick? What are the chances that a particular 3-ball team ends up with a pick after #25?

Basic arithmetic won't answer those questions. You can sit down with pen and paper and work it out, but that would take all day.

BTW, the answers to those questions are, in order:
40.3%
75.2%
10.9%
2.2%

DINO22CICCARELLI

May 6, 2004
on't you people understand THIS LOTTERY IS RIGGED for the rangers to win? What is it you do not understand? Largest market and needs a influx of talent. This is a no brainer since it is in their interest to place him there. Any questions?

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
So I ran the lottery simulator 30 times to see how many teams would get shut out of the top pick. Here are the results, in terms of how many times a team landed the No. 1 pick:

Minnesota 5 times
Phoenix 2 times
Carolina 2 times
Pittsburgh 2 times
Vancouver 2 times
Anaheim 2 times
Atlanta 2 times
Nashville 2 times
Chicago 2 times
Washington 1 time
Buffalo 1 time
Edmonton 1 time
Montreal 1 time
Boston 1 time
Philadelphia 1 time
Dallas 1 time
Calgary 1 time
Ottawa 1 time

Toronto, NY Rangers, NY Islanders, New Jersey, Tampa Bay, Florida, Columbus, St. Louis, Detroit, Colorado, Los Angeles, San Jose shut out

The scary part is seeing a team like Minnesota come up so often :eek:

12 teams never got a sniff, including two of the four clubs with 3 chances (NYR and CBJ).

One interesting result was when one of the times Vancouver wound up with the top pick, the Habs picked second. This led me to ponder the following...

If the Canucks get the top pick and the Habs place second, would it be plausible to see a swap of picks if the Canadiens deal Theodore to Vancouver? Not saying this would ever happen, but it does make a little bit of sense to me. The Canucks finally get their goalie and take the consolation prize of drafting local boy Gilbert Brule. The Habs get the coveted Crosby and then go on the UFA market for a goaltender (Fernandez, Thibault?, Joseph, Khabibulin).

Hey, ya never know.

NJDevils#4

Since 2002, bishes
Jul 11, 2002
New Jersey
Visit site
I followed suit...did it 40X

This is the results

1 Devils
2 Blackhawks
3 Bruins
4 Devils