NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft for May -- 4 Rounds

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Now that we know who has won the lottery, it helps clear some things up. I'm about 90% sure the order rankings are accurate. There's a lot of picks to track, so it's quite possible I messed up a few. I'm basing the pick order based on my prediction of a Tampa Bay/Washington ECF; and a Winnipeg/Vegas WCF. For the Stanley Cup Finals, I have Tampa Bay beating Winnipeg to win it all.

Also, I'm not a scout, or claim to know everything about each prospect or team needs. Comparisons should be taken lightly. It'd be insane to think everyone was going to go on to become the same type of player; or even make the league at all. You'll have your busts, AHL fodder and so on. For comparisons, it's fun to look back 5-6 years later and see how badly you whiffed, or if they came close to matching up, etc.

For now, I'll just do the first 4 rounds. For my final mock, I'll include a full draft.

======
Round 1
======

1. Buffalo: Rasmus Dahlin, D
Sabres fans have to be overjoyed. After all these years in search of defense upgrades, a potentially elite guy falls into their lap -- albeit after years of falling to the bottom of the league. It might all be worth it in the end, winning the rights to Dahlin, who's looked like the elite player that he's predicted to become.
Comparison: I've been adamant throughout the year that there's no true comparison for him. He seems like a mixture of a bunch of guys such as Doughty, Subban, Hedman, etc.. If I was to pick someone, it'd be a Scott Niedermayer-like type. Basically, a puck-moving defenseman with excellent smarts and vision that can play well at both ends of the ice, along with the ability to occasionally play with some physicality.

2. Carolina: Andrei Svechnikov, RW
They'd probably actually think hard about the Necas-Zadina chemistry thing. Probably moreso than most realize. However, Svechnikov is an elite player and one of the best in the draft. Even though they don't draft many Russians, they do have some history of dealing with them; ie: Semin, Valentine Zykov. There's no way they can pass on him, considering his upside.
Comparison: Ilya Kovalchuk. He's a big, sniping, offensive winger with some grit and two-way ability in his game.

3. Montreal: Filip Zadina, RW/LW
The Habs need to go with the best player available. In this case, it's the sniper, Zadina. That said, it wouldn't surprise me if they considered Kotkaniemi, Tkachuk, Hughes or even Dobson for this pick. If I were to include trades, I'd have them try to trade back with Detroit, who could target Hughes, while the Habs take Kotkaniemi/Dobson/Tkachuk/whomever and a 2nd rounder + a bad contract that they could potentially bury. Since this mock is just straight up picks, I'll have them take Zadina.
Comparison: David Pastrnak. A top line, offensive scoring weapon that is extremely dangerous when on the ice.

4. Ottawa: Brady Tkachuk, LW
They have a history of taking Americans and they're well-known for liking their players to have good size. Tkachuk could be their guy, with the hope that he can turn into a top line power forward to play with some of their skilled guys.
Comparison: Scott Hartnell. He's a guy that's spent his career as a perfect complementary power winger, even hitting 30-30 at one point in his career. I think he's potentially the same type of guy + leader.

5. Arizona: Quinn Hughes, D
Just missing out on another local, hometown kid, they instead place their targets on Quinn Hughes. He's looked like a potential elite puck-moving defenseman, even looking good playing against men at the World Championships. They pick 1 spot ahead of the Red Wings, who I'm sure they'd love to grab him. It's also why I think the Wings would be a good match to trade with the Habs.
Comparison: Brian Rafalski. Undersized, but supremely smart, roving offensive defenseman. I also like the Mat Barzal as a defenseman comparison, as well.

6. Detroit: Evan Bouchard, D
If the Habs trade back, it could be Kotkaniemi going here. If not, then Bouchard could be the Wings' target if Quinn Hughes is gone. They love drafting out of the OHL and he has the size and overall two-way ability to be a factor at the pro level. They'd think he's close to making the jump, giving them a defacto improvement over the declining Kronwall, etc..
Comparison: John Carlson. He could become a big, work-horse, shooting defenseman that can put up good point totals. His defense and footwork still needs to be worked upon... but he's close to making the league than most.

7. Vancouver: Noah Dobson, D
I'm basing this on the rumor that they're really high on Dobson. If true, he'd be a great addition to their right handed side of defense. A Juolevi-Dobson pairing could be a pretty nice, safe top pairing. They both have an underlying sense of offense, as well -- especially Dobson.
Comparison: Alex Pietrangelo is often the name thrown around with him. I can see the comparison. They're both big, mobile, safe two-way defenders that can put up points with a big shot.

8. Chicago: Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C/LW
If he isn't gone by now, the Hawks would love to add him, needing some top 6 centers in their pipeline. He could be the guy that eventually takes over from Toews and would join fellow Finn, Henri Jokiharju, into their lineup. Either way, the Hawks need an influx of talent and he's a good first start.
Comparison: He sort of reminds me of a younger David Backes -- a two-way, physical center with good shooting ability. Maybe Sean Couturier or Pierre-Luc Dubois could be another modern comparable.

9. New York Rangers: Oliver Wahlstrom, RW
The Rangers need a scorer pretty badly. Wahlstrom lands in their lap, with his modus operandi being that of a sniper. He's a shots-on-goal machine and would look good alongside a guy such as Filip Chytil as his setup man.
Comparison: He's an American winger that skates, snipes and shoots. In other words, he's similar to a Brock Boeser.

10. Edmonton: Adam Boqvist, D
They need some right-shooting defense. He's a guy that can move the puck up ice to their talented forwards, while also commandeering the blueline on a powerplay. He's an absolute steal at 10th overall.
Comparison: Erik Karlsson is his total upside. If he doesn't reach it, maybe a Mike Green type - a guy that can use his shot to create plenty of offense - isn't out of the question.

11. New York Islanders: Ty Smith, D
For their first pick, they grab the best defenseman available. That'd be Ty Smith, who's had some rocky moments throughout the year but still looked good. While his size isn't perfect, they need to start building up their blueline and he'd be a good first start.
Comparison: Brian Campbell.He's a swift puck-mover that can hold his own defensively and offensively, along with give the occasional hit.

12. New York Islanders (from Calgary): Joel Farabee, LW
As a native of New York alone, it'd be a good pick, that's not even counting his two-way skills. He can play a dogged style on ice, with the Isles taking the best player available.
Comparison: Zach Parise. A do-anything, two-way forward that can grind it out, bring some nice playmaking skill and overall abilit. He'd probably play pretty well alongside Barzal.

13. Dallas: Barrett Hayton, C
They tend to draft a lot out of the OHL. If he develops right, he could become a 2nd line center, which would be perfect for them, as they'd only need him to play behind Tyler Seguin. He's had a strong playoff run and it could get him jumping up the rankings.
Comparison: Bryan Little. His skating isn't ideal, but he matches up against tough competition and can put up points and use his shot well.

14. Philadelphia (from St. Louis): Vitali Kravtsov, RW
The Flyers go the BPA route by taking Kravtsov, who's had one helluva rise up the rankings. The rise has been so good that it gets him into the top 15, with the Flyers taking him on, thinking he can be a top 6 offensive winger.
Comparison: Jakub Voracek. In terms of offense, he can do a bit of everything, ie: make plays, puts shots on net and score.

15. Florida: Martin Kaut, RW
Their best bet is to take someone that's close to making the jump to the league. Even though he's playing a rookie role for the Czechs, he's playing with their team at the World Championships, playing against grown men. With Adam Mascherin potentially not signing, Kaut would give them more depth on the wing.
Comparison: Justin Williams. He plays kind of a hard-nosed meets offensive, two-way style of game. Any team missing out on Tkachuk, could have a nice pickup with him.

16. Colorado: Joseph Veleno, C
Their aim would be to develop him into a valuable #2 center that can play behind Nathan MacKinnon. It'd allow them to shift Tyson Jost to the wing, where it seems he's better suited, giving them a more focused attack.
Comparison: Elias Lindholm. I don't see him as a top end center; but maybe a complementary type of speedy, two-way guy that's more of a pass-first guy.

17. New Jersey: K'Andre Miller, D
It might surprise some people just how high he goes. He's incredibly raw, but he has plenty of tools, size and upside. Teams love guys with size, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's taken considerably high.
Comparison: If there's a middle around between an Adam Larsson and Rasmus Ristolainen, it's probably that. Formerly a forward, he's a defenseman with good skating skill and the ability to lay some big hits. If his offensive upside can grow, he could be lethal from the point.

18. Columbus: Rasmus Kupari, C/RW
The Jackets still need depth at center, even with Dubois working out well. He has plenty of speed and some skill that may pique their interest. Depth down the middle is important; and even if he doesn't work out as a center, they can shift him to the wing.
Comparison: At minimum, I thought he could become similar to a Michael Frolik, a speedy forward that can complement lines. At his best, he could possibly be something like a younger Jason Pominville type, having good hands and speed.

19. Philadelphia: Bode Wilde, D
The Flyers would want to walk out of the first round with a defenseman along with their previously taken forward. To be honest, I'm not as high on him as I used to be; but the Flyers could pick him as a nice project for the next few years.
Comparison: Jake Gardiner. An asset on the powerplay and offensive defenseman that still needs to work on things such as defense and decision making in order to potentially reach his upside.

20. Los Angeles: Serron Noel, RW
The Kings need depth on right wing and Noel's 6'5" size will literally and figuratively do just that. For his size, his skating is good and his play at the U18's showed that he can keep up with the play and produce against his peers.
Comparison: Chris Kreider. A mixture of size, speed, skill and willingness to go to the net to score.

21. San Jose: Rasmus Sandin, D
I feel like the Sharks need some guys that'll help with transitioning the puck up ice. If that's the case, Sandin could be a good fit there for them. Positionally, he's smart; he can mobilize the puck and makes smart passes to teammates, playing in an all-situational role.
Comparison: Andrei Markov. I'm not saying he'll have the same career heights at Markov. There are some similarities though. They're both not the swiftest' instead using hockey IQ to play a well-rounded game, adept with crisp passing.

22. Ottawa (from Pittsburgh): Jared McIsaac, D
At this point, the Sens would probably like to walk away with a defenseman for their second first rounder. They venture to the QMJHL, where they often draft from, taking the two-way defenseman, who had an up and down year, finishing reasonably well with a short-lived U18 tournament, in which he was named one of the top 3 players for Canada.
Comparison: Jaccob Slavin. A player with a mixture of good skills that doesn't totally stand out in one area. He can shutdown opponents, while also adding some offense.

23. Anaheim: Isac Lundestrom, C
The fact that he's a pure center might actually have him picked higher. For my draft, I have him dropping a little bit, due to lack of offensive upside. As it's been said throughout the year, he's a "safe" pick -- at least guaranteed to be a 3rd/4th line kind of guy. The Ducks love their Swedish players and he'd be perfect for them.
Comparison: Erik Haula. I'm note sure if he could be the Vegas version of Haula or not, which would make him a very good 2nd line center, but it's something along those lines. Speedy, two-way skill, able to beat you on the rush, PK, etc..

24. Minnesota: Ryan McLeod, C
The fact that he's 6'2" and over 200 pounds still makes him a solid target to be picked in the first round. The Wild need more depth down the middle, even with Eriksson-Ek and Kunin on board. His combo of skating and size could make teams think he definitely has the potential to make the NHL, even if it's in a depth role.
Comparison: David Legwand. Like Legwand, McLeod's a speedy, versatile center that plays a two-way game with more of an emphasis on playmaking. His upside may not be huge; but he has NHL potential.

25. Toronto: Grigori Denisenko, LW
Considering they currently have Marner and Nylander, the Leafs can afford to be patient here and let him develop. They like taking players from overseas and by the time he's developed, he could step in and take over from a guy such as Nylander, if they decide to trade him. It's a best player available scenario. I think the Russian factor might bump him down the board a little.
Comparison: Jonathan Drouin. Excellent hands and vision, albeit it comes with some consistency, size and perimeter play issues.

26. New York Rangers (from Boston): Dominik Bokk, RW
They draft heavily from Europe and probably have been keeping a close eye on him. At this spot in the draft, they'd have to no other choice but to take him. Between he and Wahlstrom, it should give their future forward core a huge offensive boost, especially if he plays with someone such as Filip Chytil.
Comparison: Phil Kessel. A goal scoring, speedy, offensive threat that'd probably play better if he's well insulated in a lineup.

27. Chicago (from Nashville): Jonatan Berggren, RW
After tearing up the under-18 tournament, he's definitely moved up draft lists of certain teams. I think he could slip in here, before the end of the first, by a team known for taking chances on smaller guys.
Comparison: Kevin Fiala. Like Fiala, he's an undersized, tenacious offensive sparkplug on the ice. He can score and make plays on a whim, whilst using his dynamic speed to move up the ice. He's a player with top line upside.

28. Washington: Alexander Alexeyev, D
The Capitals could look for a boost on their defensive end. Alexeyev has the size and mobility to be an impact player in the pros and they love their Russians. With their bigtime goalie, Ilya Samsonov, on the way, it'd be smart to put some bodies in front of him for the future.
Comparison: Alex Edler. Big, mobile, physical defender that may can be a reliable complementary type, most likely as a middle pairing defenseman.

29. Detroit (from Vegas): Ty Dellandrea, C
After a decent showing at the U18 against his peers, he's probably in consideration for the first round. A team such as Detroit, that isn't too solid down the middle, could like him, especially since he plays in the OHL, a league the Wings love drafting out of. He put up respectable numbers on a less than stellar team, giving them hope he has #2/3 center upside.
Comparison: Nazem Kadri. A steady second line center that can face-off against tough competition and play a well-rounded two-way game at both ends of the rink.

30. St. Louis (from Winnipeg): Calen Addison, D
His playoffs get him into the first round. The Blues have spent the past few years building up their forwards. It's time they drafted a defender to build those ranks, as well.
Comparison: Ty Barrie. An undersized, offensive defenseman that knows how to shoot and handle the puck - especially on a powerplay.

31. New York Rangers (from Tampa Bay): Nils Lundkvist, D
They went pretty heavy on offense with their previous 2 picks, it's time for them to take a defender. They like going overseas for their picks, specifically Sweden, and he could be a nice late first contender. He skates well and can do a little bit of everything.
Comparison: I think of him as a Dmitry Orlov type of defenseman. He can move the puck along, keep it out of his own zone, along with defending well and occasionally dropping a few big hits.

======
Round 2
======

32. Buffalo: Filip Hallander, LW/C
Lately, they've been drafting a lot of Swedes outside the first round. Plus he could be a draft buddy for Rasmus Dahlin. He'd add to their winger ranks, at least.
Comparison: Radim Vrbata. He has the potential to become a goal scoring top 6 forward that can go to the net.

33. Detroit (from Ottawa): Kevin Bahl, D
Like it or not, teams still love size, resulting in him going over smaller, talented forwards such as Akil Thomas, Johnny Tychonick, Jake Wise, Cole Fonstad, etc.. Despite the fears over his size, the Wings return to the OHL for the 3rd straight time, grabbing the huge shutdown defenseman, thinking he'd make a good complement for Evan Bouchard.
Comparison: Nikita Zadorov. A big, mobile (for his size), shutdown defenseman with huge size.

34. Florida (from Arizona): Mattias Samuelsson, D
By taking Samuelsson, they grab a 6'4" mobile shutdown type that can support them in multiple ways. They'll want to add defensive depth and taking a big guy that's probably not too far off from making the league, thanks to his size, could be a decent option for them.
Comparison: I'd like to compare him to a Mattias Ekholm. Maybe not an elite guy, but a dependable, big defenseman that uses his long stick to strip players of pucks and knows how to shutdown opposition. He even has a hard shot to keep opposing defenses honest.

35. Montreal: Liam Foudy, RW/C
I see Foudy as someone the Habs could really love. For example, they love their players to be good athletes and Foudy's family heritage comes from an athletic background. They've also talked about wanting to add speed and character; which are 2 further elements he has in his play.
Comparison: I'm still all over the place on his total upside. At top end, I guess he could be an energetic sparkplug such as a Dylan Larkin. Or maybe he's a Mikkel Boedker/Timo Meier type of speedy forward.

36. Detroit: Kirill Marchenko, RW
It wouldn't surprise me if he's taken pretty high in the second round. He's seemingly risen on draft boards, with teams loving his combinations of size and goal scoring. The Russian factor is in play; but the Wings have a lot of picks throughout the draft, allowing them to take the risk.
Comparison: James van Riemsdyk. A big, 6'3" goal scoring winger that can control the play and use his size to help put up points in a top 6 role.

37. Vancouver: Jacob Olofsson, C
He's the center for current Canucks prospect, Jonathan Dahlen. Together, they've put up good numbers. He falls only due to not having no standout abilities -- but could very well become a dependable bottom 9 center.
Comparison: Lars Eller. Consider him a safe, two-way, smart, speedy center with decent size.

38. Montreal (from Chicago): Nicolas Beaudin, D
With Dominique Ducharme on their coaching staff, it wouldn't be surprising to see Beaudin also high up on their list. They could definitely love his high hockey IQ and they do have a need for left-shooting defensemen.
Comparison: Will Butcher. An undersized defenseman that uses his smarts and high IQ to move the puck and play offense.

39. New York Rangers: Milos Roman, C
As a linemate of Ty Ronning, current Rangers prospect, Roman is attractive to the Rangers due to putting up good numbers together. They decide to take him right now because they don't think he'll be available by the time theur next pick rolls around.
Comparison: Valterri Filpulla. He could be a type of center that can do a little bit of everything, along with bringing some good playmaking skill.

40. Edmonton: Ryan Merkley, D
They've taken on fallers before. If it works out, then it's great -- and another high end player for them. If not, it's still a risky pick worth taking. Between he and Boqvist, one of them could find success; with preferably both of them working out.
Comparison: At his absolutele top end, he could be similar to a PK Subban or Shayne Gostisbehere. Meaning he's a roving, offensive pivot that can put plenty of points and work magic on the powerplay. If not, then, uh, he could be the next Anthony DeAngelo, who's been plagued with attitude concerns and hasn't found the overall game to make it as a fulltime NHL regular as of yet.

41. New York Islanders: Akil Thomas, C/RW
Despite having a strong playoff run, I think he might drop in the draft, with teams reaching on and wanting to grab some defensemen. At this spot, with the Islanders need center prospects, he'd be a great pickup and could be a steal.
Comparison: Mike Ribeiro. They have/had same playmaking instincts, battle inconsistency and can be a little rough aroudn the edges.

42. Carolina: Benoit-Olivier Groulx, C/LW
The Canes need centers and they've also talked about wanting to develop a team that's harder to play against. Even if he only develops as a shutdown 3rd line center, Groulx adds center depth and two-way appeal, which is at least one step further for them.
Comparison: Brandon Dubinsky. Think of him as a guy that'll do the little things to win game, hit hard, check, play smart, etc..

43. New York Islanders (from Calgary): Sean Durzi, D
If I remember correctly, he took part in the Islanders rookie camp, so he might be pretty appealing to them. It gives them another offensive puck-mover on the blueline -- and on the right hand side. He's an overager and exploded offensively this year, showing vast improvement in his play. He could be an option here.
Comparison: Brandon Montour. Like Montour, he was passed over in his draft year, then taken in the next draft, after an improvement in his play and numbers.

44. Dallas: Ryan O'Reilly, RW
With the draft being held in Texas, it only seems appropriate that the Texas team drafts the Texas-born power forward. He fits the mould of size and intangibles that the Stars love in their players too.
Comparison: Nino Neiderreiter. Big, athletic winger with goal scoring upside.

45. St. Louis: Johnny Tychonick, D
I think his U-18 tournament, along with playing in a lesser round might drop him -- albeit only a tiny amount. If he's still available, the Blues would love to pick him up, letting him develop in the collegiate ranks, which is something they love to do with their picks.
Comparison: Nick Leddy. He's a speedy, mobile defender that can carry the puck, although he is a little undersized.

46. Washington (from Florida): Niklas Nordgren, LW/RW
After torching the U18 tournament, he should be flying up the boards. He'd probably be even higher if he was a few inches taller. The Capitals would like the offense and goal scoring he could add to their top 6, which needs a boost.
Comparison: Viktor Arvidsson-like in size and ability to put pucks on net.

47. Colorado: Xavier Bernard, D
If they land Veleno with their first pick, maybe they could pick-up his teammate in the 2nd round. As a left-handed shot, he could pair with Conor Timmins or Cale Makar. It gives them more depth on defense, which is definitely a positive to have.
Comparison: Jeff Petry. 6'2", mobile blueliner that can be mobile, smart and displays good puck movement.

48. New York Rangers (from New Jersey): Jack Drury, C
With the bloodlines on their mind, they grab Jack Drury, who's been quietly moving up draft boards. He displays a solid two-way type of game and definitely has leadership ability and good attitude.
Comparison: Like his uncle, Chris Drury, he's a two-way leader on the ice whose smarts and hockey IQ enable him to put up points. If I was to compare him to someone, it'd be Ryan O'Reilly: a guy that's strong on his skates, wins faceoffs, leads his teams and produces fairly well on offense.

49. Columbus: Jan Jenik, C/LW
He's another guy that's really improved his stock near the end of the season. Kind of like Chytil last year, he's one of the youngest in the draft and he's a Czech player that I think could be a late riser. The fact that he's capable of playing center makes him a good backup in case Kupari is more of a winger.
Comparison: Rickard Rakell. Like Rakell, he's a versatile goal scorer with excellent speed, some physicality and plenty of versatility.

50. Philadelphia: Blake McLaughlin, LW/C
They go for a "BPA" situation, taking McLaughlin, who they can't believe slipped. He has a lot of talent and some could argue he's a first round candidate.
Comparison: Sebastian Aho. A guy that can be an offensive force from both the wing and center, putting up goals and offense aplenty.

51. Los Angeles: Jake Wise, C
Lack of size drops him down the board, but he's definitely first round level of talent. At #51, the Kings could definitely feel like they're walking out with a steal, with the injuries are the start of the season being the only thing that hampered his production.
Comparison: Vincent Trochek. Lacking ideal size down the middle, he makes up for that fact with a bevy of speed, two-way ability and playmaking skill.

52. Toronto (from San Jose): David Gustafsson, C
They love drafting out of Sweden and they need some center prospects. Of course, with Matthews as their number 1 guy, it's not like they'd need to develop him as a top guy. He's looked good all season long and has been a steady climber, making him quite desirable for the Leafs
Comparison: Victor Rask. This Swedish center has good size, excellent faceoff ability and put up underrated offensive numbers. His skating isn't the best, but he could have #2/3 upside if developed right.

53. Pittsburgh: Jacob Bernard-Docker, D
Playing in a lesser league might drop him down a little. If so, it'd be to Pittsburgh's gain, thanks to them needing more defensive prospects with upside in their system.
Comparison: Justin Faulk. A steady, two-way puck-mover that also has the ability to put pucks in/on net.

54. Anaheim: Jett Woo, D
Injuries might push him down the board. After returning from the injuries, he just didn't look the same and it might be a cause for concern for some teams. That said, he's definitely defensively responsible and a team such as the Ducks, wanting to rebuild their blueline, would love that.
Comparison: Francois Beauchemin. Not the tallest defender; but a physical, shutdown type whose shot is good enough to keep opponents on their feet.

55. Arizona (from Minnesota): Jesse Ylonen, RW
They're finally able to get their kid with hometown connections. There's also familial connections, as well, with his father formerly playing with the Coyotes. They love their bloodlines on the team, so they'd just have to take him.
Comparison: TJ Oshie. A potential top 6 offensive winger with good hands and vision.

56. Montreal (from Toronto): Jay O'Brien, C
Considered the "mystery man" of the top 62, he's probably one of the more underrated, lesser seen picks due to playing in an American high school. Scouts would surely be aware of him, though; especially a team such as the Habs, who need centers and love drafting out of American developmental systems. There's even some rumors of him going even higher, within the top 40.
Comparison: Because he's so under-viewed, it's hard to get an exact comparable for him. I think maybe a Mike Fisher or Brayden Schenn type could be a possibility. A center prospect that seems to play an excellent two-way game, with leadership skills and the ability to shoot the puck well.

57. Boston: Jack McBain, C/RW
If he somehow manages to slip this far, it'd be for Boston's benefit. I think playing a lesser league, along with looking less than stellar at internation competitions will hurt his draft standing. However, if the Bruins see him on the board this late in the 2nd round, they'd be all over him in an instant. Plus he's going to Boston College next year, so they could literally watch him develop nearby.
Comparison: His overall upside is probably a Charlie Coyle type; but there's no telling if he'll develop into that, partially because he's played in a lesser league. Maybe he becomes more of a Zack Kassian type of player -- a power forward with some skill, at minimum.

58. Colorado (from Nashville): Allan McShane, C
He could go higher than this, especially after his solid U18 tournament. However, I could still see some teams scared of his skating issues. Either way, the Avs would go BPA, continuing to build that center depth.
Comparison: David Krejci. A positionally aware center, whose upside is probably something that of a 2nd line center, who doesn't have elite skating ability, instead uses his smarts to place himself. If he can't improve his skating or develop his offense, I still see a potential Riley Nash type of 3C.

59. Montreal (from Washington): Riley Sutter, RW/C
He's a Sutter, so you know he has the attitude the Habs love; he's a big shooting forward capable of playing center; he's been a playoffs beast; and he plays for Everett, a team the Habs have loved drafting from. He's definitely caught the attention of the Habs, drafting him now before a team in the 3rd round can get ahold of him.
Comparison: Adam Lowry. He may not have the highest upside; but he comes across as a surefire NHL'er that can score big goals, hit and be a leader on the ice. You know, like the Sutter name impliest.

60. Vegas: Adam Ginning, D
The Golden Knights love their players to have size. Ginning may not have the highest upside, but could become a decent, mobile shutdown defender.
Comparison: Brayden McNabb. A stay-at-home, shutdown blueliner with some physicality and size.

61. Winnipeg: Cam Hillis, C
The Jets would like to keep strong depth down the middle. Hillis definitely has a good chance to go earlier. If he's here, they'd jump all over him, loving his high IQ, two-way playmaking game.
Comparison: Nick Schmaltz. Right-shooting center that plays with a lot of smarts and playmaking skill.

62. Tampa Bay: Bulat Shafigullin, LW/RW
The Lightning walk away in what could be the steal of the draft. Shafigullin is a guy that I have rated in the first round, with teams skipping over him in favor of non-Russians. The Lightning have never feared the "Russian factor"; in fact, they've almost embraced it.
Comparison: Kyle Connor. A speedy, offensive scorer with a lot of talent. To me, he's a first rounder; but I think the Russian factor is going to knock him down the board.

======
Round 3
======

63. Minnesota (from Buffalo): Scott Perunovich, D
After an outstanding playoff run, Perunovich likely rises up the draft board. I could see his hometown team, the Wild, taking a flyer on him.
Comparison: Jared Spurgeon. Undersized, but an incredibly mobile and smart defenseman.

64. Pittsburgh (from Ottawa): Jakub Lauko, LW/C
They love their forwards to have speed, which is exactly what Lauko's game is all about.
Comparison: Kasperi Kapanen. He's a swift winger that can blow past defenseman and use his nice shot to snipe goals.

65. Arizona: Kyle Topping, C
They need some center depth. Topping's had a good season and may have some upside at the NHL level, even it's only as a depth guy.
Comparison: Derek Stepan. A playmaking center whose skating and size isn't great, but manages to use his high IQ and skill to perform.

66. Montreal: Cole Fonstad, LW
The Habs go back to the WHL to take Fonstad, who size and lack of success at the U18 tournament pushes him down the board. The lack of size might be scary for some teams, but Montreal's willing to take the chance on his skill.
Comparison: Teuvo Teravainen. An offensive playmaker that's undersized and blessed with plenty of skill.

67. Detroit: Axel Andersson, D
The Wings take the mobile, two-way Swede. He plays the modern style of game and has potential to play in a middle pairing.
Comparison: Nate Schmidt. He's your prototypical puck-moving defenseman that gives depth to any team that selects him.

68. Vancouver: Filip Johansson, D
Another Swede joins the mix, with the Canucks taking the two-way defender. He's another addition to their right hand of defense, which needs to be rebuilt.
Comparison: Jason Demers. Think of a guy that'll use his smarts and two-way ability over, say, speed. Likely a bottom 4 type of defender if he makes it.

69. Chicago: Spencer Stastney, D
Playing in the Chicago area could definitely open the eyes of the Hawks. He's coming off an under-18 tournament in which he looked really good. It should have boosted his stock.
Comparison: Trevor Daley. His game is all about mobility and being able to move the puck. The Hawks would want to take him to keep their blueline depth nice and strong.

70. New York Rangers: Lukas Dostal, G
The Rangers are the first team to take a goalie in the draft. Surprisingly, it's Dostal that goes first off the board. I could see them loving his progression throughout the season, over Skarek, who's struggled at times.
Comparison: I dunno if he has the overall upside of a Tuukka Rask, but there's some similarities. They're both tall, lanky goalies that are agile and quick to follow the puck. Definitely some upside there.

71. Edmonton: Filip Kral, D
As a teammate of Kailer Yamamoto, they've surely kept an eye on him. They go defense-heavy with their picks this year, hoping one of them can breakthrough, allowing them to trade a current defender for a left winger.
Comparison: Alec Martinez. A smart, two-way, mobile, offensive defenseman that's good at keeping the puck on his stick and maintaining possession to get it out of his own end.

72. New York Islanders: Curtis Douglas, C
Standing at 6'8", it honestly wouldn't surprise me if he went earlier, considering how much teams still love size. They can draft him, let him develop and see what they've got.
Comparison: Nick Bjugstad. He skates pretty well for a big man and gets many shots on goal. Some team could envision him as a perfect 3rd/4th/depth center with some upside and take him early.

73. Arizona (from Carolina): Jakub Skarek, G
Receiving this pick from Carolina in the Martinook trade, they're able to select a goalie with some upside to develop within their system. They don't have many high-end goalies, so it'd be a good addition.
Comparison: Frederik Andersen. He fits the mould as the modern "big" goalie with good athleticism and skill, while also battling inconsistency.

74. Arizona (from Calgary): Alexander Khovanov, LW/C
Despite putting up good numbers, illness hampered his season and might have had a factor in his poor post-season play. As a result, he drops into the third round, with the Coyotes hoping they've obtained a steal.
Comparison: Sam Gagner. An undersized, playmaking forward with skating issues... with his upside possibly being that of Mikael Granlund.

75. Dallas: Semyon der-Arguchintsev, C
Drafting him out of the OHL, they could view him as a playmaking center with upside. He's one of the youngest players in the draft, making him a longterm investment with a lot of upside.
Comparison: Jiri Hudler. Hudler was a smaller guy that used his puck skills to make it in the league. He'd have to use the same style if he wants to make it.

76. St. Louis: Sampo Ranta, LW/RW
He's a speedy, Finnish forward that'd add size and scoring upfront. He has an energetic, speedy type of play and good size, which seems right up the Blues' wagon.
Comparison: Brendan Perlini. Size and speed off the wings, along with some goal scoring ability.

77. Boston (from Florida): Jordan Harris, D
The Bruins always seem to take a few defensemen during their drafts. He fits what they're looking and is also a local kid. Considering how well they've been developing players as of late, it's a solid pickup.
Comparison: Vince Dunn. He's yet another mobile defenseman with impressive puck skills. They can afford to give him development time and wait to see how he turns out.

78. Colorado: Slava Demin, D
The Avs need stable left-handed defensemen and they're not afraid to look outside of the regular leagues to find one. He spent last season in the BCHL, but will be playing with the University of Denver for next season, allowing them to keep a close eye on his development.
Comparison: Calvin de Haan. I think he could become a solid, puck-mover type that plays the game safely and smartly.

79. Anaheim (from New Jersey): Martin Fehervary, D
Currently playing for Slovakia at the World Championships. If he has a good tournament, he'd make a good pickup for a team, giving them good depth on defense.
Comparison: Mark Pysyk. He comes across as a solid, do-it-all depth defenseman that can also check, move the puck and provide leadership.

80. Columbus: Wyatte Wylie, D
He's a rock solid defender that has shown glimpses of a little offensive upside. After making a pretty big jump up draft rankings, he could even be gone by this pick.
Comparison: Ian Cole. He can grind it out, play physical and he owns a heavy shot, which could keep defensemen honest.

81. Detroit (from Philadelphia): Olivier Rodrigue, G
They're going to need some quality goaltenders in the system. I'm sure their OHL scouts have gotten many looks at him. He'd be the best available.
Comparison: Corey Crawford. I think he could become a simple, technically strong goalie with upside.

82. Los Angeles: Ty Emberson, D
With an aging blueline, the Kings are gonna need more younger guys in their pipeline. He should be given plenty of time to develop within the next years, hopefully finding himself in their lineup.
Comparison: Ron Hainsey. Mobile, puck carrying defenseman with decent size and ability.

83. Toronto (from San Jose): Alec Regula, D
Breathing a sigh of relief to see him still here, they quick snag him off the board, loving his combination of size and shutdown ability. They're pretty close-knit with the London Knights, thus he could be very high on their radar.
Comparison: Brian Dumoulin. A defenseman with good size and mobility that should earn his bread and butter as a shutdown type.

84. Detroit (from Pittsburgh): Phillip Kurashev, C/RW
They go "BPA" here, taking the best player left on the board. I think he only slips due to some other teams choosing defense. He has potential to become a talented middle-6 type.
Comparison: Ondrej Palat. A middle-six type of speedy, talented forward.

85. Anaheim: Jachym Kondelik, C
The Ducks like their players with size. Kondelik is 6'6" and plays center, selecting him would allow for the Ducks to retain size down the middle, a motto they've worked with for years. He's put up good numbers after returning from injuries, which makes him more interesting.
Comparison: Brian Boyle. A large center that can play a "size" game, go to the corners and even put up points.

86. Minnesota: Albin Eriksson, LW/RW
He probably deserves and could go higher. Not playing in the U18 tournament may have hurt his stock. At this selection, the Wild could take him, giving them a big size boost to their wings, hoping his size would help them contend against teams such as the Jets.
Comparison: Kevin Hayes. Similar players in that they're both huge in size and can use their bodies to put up points.

87. Chicago (from Toronto): Tyler Madden, C/RW
He seems like a great fit in the Hawks organization, thus I have him going here. It'd give them depth upfront and maybe he could develop into a top 9, speedy winger with some two-way skill. He has good bloodlines, at least; his father being former cup winner, John Madden from the Devils.
Comparison: An Andrew Cogliano/Max Domi-like player. Not huge, but fast, skilled and blessed with some two-way versatility.

88. New York Rangers (from Boston): Ivan Morozov, C
It's best player available for them at this slot. Morozov's been moving up the board, so I wouldn't be surprised if a team that likes him picks him earlier. That said, there's the Russian factor, so who knows.
Comparison: He's your typical middle-six two-way center that can do anything, including put up points. Maybe an Antoine Vermette type.

89. Nashville: Aidan Dudas, LW/C
Their motto has always been to take the best player available. They don't draft from the CHL often; but when they do, it's usually for players they really like. It allows their forward group to match their defensive group in terms of talent.
Comparison: Tyler Johnson. He could takeover from Gallagher as the undersized sparkplug on the team; also blessed with good two-way skill and offensive ability.

90. Washington: Johnny Gruden, LW
He's the type of forward that complements a skilled line quite well. It's a bonus that he's got good speed, which is something the Habs would like to add to their lineup.
Comparison: Carl Hagelin. Speedy forward that's more of a character, two-way type.

91. Minnesota (from Vegas): Blade Jenkins, LW/C
His skating needs work, but the pick would add depth to the Wild's forward rankings. I'm not sure on his upside... he could make it as a depth winger that can pitch in a few goals.
Comparison: Jim Vesey. Power forward type of player that can rip the puck, also using his good size to play the board and add offense.

92. Winnipeg: Curtis Hall, C
The Jets scout a lot from American develpmental systems. He kind of faded in the second half of the season, but he put up respectable numbers. It keeps them strong down the middle, giving them many options in moving forward.
Comparison: Zemgus Girgensons. A leader on the ice that can score goals and play a physical two-way game. He could become a nice depth center.

93. Tampa Bay: Alex Steeves, LW
One of the leaders in shots on goal in the USHL. The Lightning would walk with another talented potential top 9 forward.
Comparison: Jake Guentzel. Another player that's small in stature, but can be a top 6 winger.

======
Round 4
======

94. Buffalo: Justus Annunen, G
They need some more high-end goaltender prospects. Annunnen's got the size of a started. The Sabres would give him a shot.
Comparison: Very similar to Pekka Rinne, right down to the place of birth and big, athletic style.

95. Ottawa: Matej Pekar, C/RW
In need of a talent and playmaking boost, they go to the USHL and take the playmaking Czech forward, Pekar. If he isn't gone already, that is.
Comparison: Danton Heinen. If developed right, Pekar could become a Heinen-like player that adds offensive depth to a team.

96. Carolina (from Arizona): Tyler Weiss, LW
He's a Carolina-born kid. I think it'd make for a good story to draft him. He looked good at the under-18's, so maybe there's something there, even if he only becomes a bottom 6.
Comparison: Bryan Rust. Undersized, but speedy player that can kill penalties, grind it out and put up some offense.

97. Montreal: Luka Burzan, C/LW
He's yet another BC boy for the Habs. They love drafting out of the WHL; and I could see them liking him a lot. He's got the character and attitude that the Habs would love to add.
Comparison: Matt Cullen. I think he has the ability to become a long-serving NHL'er that can excel in any role given to him, even if it's just as a role-player.

98. Detroit: Jacob Ragnarsson, D
His cousin, Gustav Lindstrom, was taken by the Wings last year. They could reunite the family by taking Ragnarsson, keeping depth strong on their blueline.
Comparison: Markus Nutivaraa. He could possibly become similar in the sense that he's a mobile, safe puck mover. The kind of guy that gives depth to bluelines.

99. Vegas (from Vancouver): Anderson MacDonald, LW/RW
He's no James Neal; but if they lose Neal to free agency, he could be a similar sort of player in their development ranks. Poor skating and inconsistency has him falling, with Vegas giving him a shot at this selection.
Comparison: Chris Stewart. Power forward that can score goals, but also battles with inconsistency and poor skating.

100. Dallas (from Chicago): Toni Utunen, D
They love drafting Finns. Utunen had a good showing at the under-18 tournament, which should boost his stock. He could go around this range.
Comparison: Tobias Enstrom. A smaller defenseman; but also one that's smart, mobile and can move the puck and play a two-way game.

101. New York Rangers: Linus Nyman, RW/LW
If their intent is to get faster, Nyman would be a good option for them. He was passed over last year; and it won't happen again. A team will take him within or near the top 100 or shortly after, I'm guessing.
Comparison: Jesper Bratt. A near-NHL ready speedy winger that can put up offense, while also being defensively responsible.

102. Montreal (from Edmonton): Giovanni Vallati, D
They take the mobile defenseman with decent size and upside. He can be inconsistent, which could knock him down the board. I'm not sure if he has much offensive upside at the pro level... but stabilizing puck movers are always nice to have. And they do need help on defense...
Comparison: Matt Benning. He's a mobile defenseman that should be relied mostly on moving the puck up ice, while playing a safe game in his own end.

103. New York Islanders: Nando Eggenberger, LW
After not living up to expectations, I have him falling a bit. At this slot, the Isles could give him a shot, thinking he could develop into a decent bottom 6 type of forward.
Comparison: Jamie McGinn. Think of a guy that can do a little bit of everything and play various roles, including checking, scoring, etc..

104. Carolina: Riley Stotts, C
It was a breakthrough year for Stotts, who put up good numbers. The Canes take the best center on the board, hoping one of the guys they've drafted will work out.
Comparison: Tyler Bozak. A depth center that can play offense, while fitting the needs of a usual centerman.

105. Calgary: Kody Clark, RW
They take Wendel's son, loving the type of game he can bring. He's likely to become a complementary type of winger, with the Flames liking his energy game.
Comparison: He's kind of like their own Michael Ferland. Having 2 of them would make them a tougher team to play against.

106. Dallas: Marcus Westfalt, LW
He has the size the Stars love to see in their players. They'd think adding him would give them someone that could potentially use his size and strength to work hard on a forecheck.
Comparison: Joel Armia. 6'3" forward with good smarts and two-way ability. He'd be good on a penalty kill and forecheck, where he could grind it out along the boards.

107. St. Louis: Gavin Hain, C
Attending the same college at Johnny Tychonick, it'd allow the Blues a good opportunity to watch them both develop at the same time. He has the potential to develop as a dependable role player type.
Comparison: Scottie Upshall. I could see him as a depth player that could find a longtime depth role in the NHL.

108. Calgary (from Florida): Samuel Fagemo, RW
Their aim is take a goal-scoring Swede, hoping he can breakthrough to play in the NHL. He'll probably be boom-or-bust, with the Flames obviously hoping for the latter.
Comparison: Ondrej Kase. He's a speedy goal-scoring winger.

109. Colorado: Keegan Karki, G
Their goaltending isn't stocked as well as it should be. They should take a goalie that has formidable size and potential. Karki could be their guy in the 4th.
Comparison: Martin Jones. He stands out as the typical "large" goaltender that can be shaky with consistency issues. They'll hope he can work on that, though.

110. New Jersey: Logan Hutsko, RW
After injuries wrecked his season last year, resulting in him going undrafted, he had a breakthrough year this season and it won't go unnoticed. Plus he's a hometown kid.
Comparison: Anthony Beauvillier. He could be a nice top 9 depth scorer with plenty of speed and scoring acumen.

111. Nashville (from Columbus): Carl Wassenius, C/LW
The Preds look to Sweden, grabbing Carl Wassenius, the 6'2" with good two-way skill. At this point in the draft, you're looking for upside and guys that can fill roster spots. He could be an option, even if he only becomes a depth forward.
Comparison: Carl Soderberg. He's another smart, two-way center that plays in a depth role, also having some skill.

112. Philadelphia: Joey Keane, D
The Flyers look to land an overager, who really helped improve his stock this year. He'd give them more depth on the blueline, adding good speed and two-way skill.
Comparison: Thomas Hickey. Likely a lower pairing guy that can contribute offensively and defensively.

113. Los Angeles: Riley Damiani, RW/C
While undersized (which also drops him down some), he comes across as a warrior on the ice. It's that lack of size that makes him drop, with the Kings happy to get him here.
Comparison: Vladimir Sobotka. Maybe not the highest scoring guy... but someone that'll do a little of everything to help your team win.

114. San Jose: Nathan Dunkley, C/LW
His lack of foot speed might drop him into the 4th round. Although, it's quite possible someone likes him in the third. Even though he isn't a big guy, the Sharks would love his play at both ends of the ice.
Comparison: He's an Anthony Cirelli or Chris Kunitz type of forward. I think he could become a decent bottom 6 two-way forward that can do a little bit of everything, playing bigger than his own size.

115. Vegas (from Pittsburgh): Yegor Sokolov, RW
Again, the Golden Knights look for size, adding Sokolov from the QMJHL. With power wingers like this, there's no telling how they develop. It's worth the risk, though; as a guy with his size could help create space for other forwards.
Comparison: Patrick Maroon. A big power winger with skating issues that can contemplate a scoring line.

116. Anaheim: Gabriel Fortier, LW/C
If they want their team to have more speed, they could start by adding Fortier, the speedy French forward. Because of his skating ability, he's lethal on the PK and also gives him the ability to put up decent offensive totals.
Comparison: Paul Byron. Blessed with amazing speed, he's a smart player that can be a help on special teams.

117. Buffalo (from Minnesota): Liam Kirk, LW
They add more winger depth to their system. Kirk's a UK-born talent that plays in a non-hockey market. He legit could go anywhere from round 3 to being undrafted. That said, he has good talent and has done nothing but score all year and I've read the Sabres have scouted him heavily. It could make sense.
Comparison: Loui Eriksson. Reminds me of a young Loui Eriksson in that he's got good size, puts up good analytics and is a constant scoring threat.

118. Toronto: Danila Galenyuk, D
They go back to Russia, with Galenyuk joining the squad alongside Denisenko. He's looked good in international tournament and has a lot of tools that teams look for. If he wasn't Russian, he'd probably be a 2nd rounder, too.
Comparison: Nikita Zaitsev. An all-around, two-way defenseman with okay size and some potential.

119. Boston: Jack Gorniak, LW/RW
They've followed kids going to the University of Wisconsin before and they do so again. He'd be a long-term investment; but things have turned out pretty well for them so far, being one of the better teams in terms of development.
Comparison: Lee Stempniak. If he were to ever make it, I could see him becoming a secondary type of depth scoring winger.

120. Chicago (from Nashville): Ivan Prosvetov, G
Another overager that'll likely get drafted is Ivan Prosvetov. He's been playing alongside current Hawks goalie prospect, Wouter Peeters, even putting up better numbers than him. With this in mind, the Hawks have definitely been keeping an eye on him and it only makes sense for them to take him under their wing as well.
Comparison: Devan Dubnyk. Will he ever become a started like Dubnyk? Who knows. He has the giant size that so many modern goalies have, though.

121. Washington: Merrick Rippon, D
It's another depth move for defense. He might have some upside as a physical puck mover. The Caps will just want to add more bodies on their backend, if anything.
Comparison: Brandon Manning. Not exactly a huge guy, he's someone that can be mobile, lay big hits and move the puck up the ice.

122. Florida (from Vegas): Olof Lindbom, G
They need goaltenders in their system pretty badly. Lindbom looked really good at the under-18 tournament, so he could be a riser come draft day. His size is pretty good and maybe he has the talent to at least become a backup. At this slot, they'll give him a shot.
Comparison: Controls rebounds; has good size and demeanour. Maybe he turns into a James Reimer type, if everything works out right.

123. Montreal (from Winnipeg): Chase Wouters, C/LW
He definitely seems like the type of player that the Habs love. Right now, he's got the defensive skills. If his offense develops as well as his defense does, he could become a very dependable player for the Habs.
Comparison: Connor Brown. An excellent defensive player that works hard and can use his shot to put up offense.

124. Tampa Bay: Ruslan Iskhakov, RW
The Bolts take another huge swing with Iskhakov, the vastly undersized Russian winger. Things have worked out well for them with Russians and undersized players -- so hey, why not get both in one pick?!
Comparison: As a boom or bust type, he could be the Russian version of Johnny Gaudreau. A very risky pick.

OB5

May 2, 2015
I mean this is excellent. Thanks for doing this.

As a Habs fan I see them taking some more defensemen but great job all around.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
Awesome job.

Love the Rangers picks but I can’t imagine them taking 6 forwards, 1 goalie, and 1 defenseman through their first 8 picks. They have a lot of offensive D already and need to add solid defensive D, particularly on the right side.

Having said that, grabbing Wahlstrom and Bokk with the first two picks would be cause for major celebration.

Reactions: Joey Bones

Joey Bones

***** 2k16
Jul 27, 2012
Nowhere
Awesome job.

Love the Rangers picks but I can’t imagine them taking 6 forwards, 1 goalie, and 1 defenseman through their first 8 picks. They have a lot of offensive D already and need to add solid defensive D, particularly on the right side.

Having said that, grabbing Wahlstrom and Bokk with the first two picks would be cause for major celebration.

Can agree with this, heavily. I like Dostal and think he could become a solid NHL starter, but the Rangers don't need another goalie in the system with potential studs in Georgiev, Shesterkin and Huska. In a year or two, there could be a logjam there.

Otherwise, love these mocks!! Keep up the good work!! :)

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I have no issues with any of the Tampa picks I just think we'll grab a defenseman with one of them. We are pretty strong on the wings and we traded our top LD prospect at the deadline. Not sure who that D is but I can't see us going this forward heavy.

leeroggy

Jan 3, 2010
Just a great job with everything. I kind of hope you are wrong about the Isles though, looks like we are the losers of the First Round given what would go in front of us . . . I'd really be tempted to trade down instead of taking Smith.

Whether Farrabee or Hayton, I then offer the #12 to the Rangers for the two firsts and a second and see if they bite. If they do I could see us ending up with Farrabee, Alexeyev, Dellandrea, Thomas or Nordgren, Durzi and Ylonen. The Rangers might be thrilled with Smith at #12 after Wahlstrom since he is more of the all around defender.

Skolman

Feb 16, 2018
Coming out of the 1st 2 rounds with Boqvist and Merkley would be unreal

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Great post! Love it from an AZ perspective, too. Hughes and Ylonen would be great picks. I’d prefer Emberson with our 3rd, but it’s a 3rd. Haha.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
I pray Habs keep 3rd overall. I'm really high on Zadina. But I'd like them to take more defensemen. Beaudin is great, but I'd like at least one more of our 2nds being a dman. Someone like Merkley or Bernard-Docker

OregonCanuck

Dec 26, 2017
Bend, OR
Would be crazy hearing boqvist names called at 10 if Vancouver had the chance at 7 sense Dobson is similar to Ollie I would rather have them go for the riskier guy with more upside

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Great work.

For the habs I've liked what I've heard about Merkley and Wise and would prefer them as our high 2nd round picks, but who really knows how the draft will play out.

Again, great work.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Well done!.
Your top 10 is bang on imo.
I would rather have Berggren or reach for Foudy at 22 but they could add to their D as well and McIsaac would be good.

Feb 27, 2002
NYC
70. New York Rangers: Lukas Dostal, G
The Rangers are the first team to take a goalie in the draft. Surprisingly, it's Dostal that goes first off the board. I could see them loving his progression throughout the season, over Skarek, who's struggled at times.
Comparison: I dunno if he has the overall upside of a Tuukka Rask, but there's some similarities. They're both tall, lanky goalies that are agile and quick to follow the puck. Definitely some upside there..

Absolutely outstanding job. Thank you for the work. Must have taken a ton of time.

I love your picks for the NYR. But why one nit is this pick. It might be a BPOV pick but I can't see the Rangers picking a goalie here. Too many other needs. And with Hank locked up for the foreseeable future, Georgiev showing promise last year and Igor Shestyorkin wringing in the wings, I'm not sure the Rangers go G.

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ
Great job. Personally, I'd prefer the Coyotes taking Wahlstrom but I'd be fine hearing Hughes' name called when the pick is made.

nugg

NJ Hammerhead Bats!
Apr 27, 2002
Central Jersey
This is a great and very nicely detailed mock draft, looks like much effort and work was put into it. Excellent job!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad