NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft for March '18

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Time to dig in again and do another 3 round personal mock. Just some notes beforehand: I'm not a scout or anything. It's all just fan-made. My comparables to players should be taken lightly; as it'd be asinine to think everyone will develop into the same exact player, let alone even make the league.

The rankings are done via the current date, March 2nd, along with post-playoff formula. I'm predicting a Tampa-Pittsburgh ECF; with a Nashville-Vegas WCF. In the finals, I have Nashville beating out Pittsburgh for the Cup. Also, divisional winners are also near the bottom of each round and so on.

As for the lottery, I ran it using tankathon and came out with:

1. Vancouver
2. Chicago
3. Ottawa

One other note: I've been working on this since the 1st and with a head cold. Ignore any typos or errors, I'm sure it's the effect of Benadryl. :)

Round 1
================

1. Vancouver: Rasmus Dahlin, D
After years of getting screwed over with the lottery, they finally fall upon good luck. They're building a little Team Sweden of their own; and the Sedins could definitely help him with the transition. He's the real deal and gives the Canucks a #1 defenseman immediately going forward.
Comparison: I've said before he's pretty unique. He's kind of like Jay Bouwmeester when he was first breaking in... but maybe with some Scott Niedermayer. Think of a player with good size, two-way skill, puck movement/transition, offense, etc..

2. Chicago: Andrei Svechnikov, RW
If they do win a lottery slot, it could help them to bounce right back after a poor season. I think a lot of their players are tired and are due for a bounceback season anyhow next year. Adding Svechnikov would just be the icing on top of that. He could possibly revive Toews's trajectory.
Comparison: Think of a winger version of Evgeni Malkin. The ability to dish the puck, score goals, burst to the net and so on.

3. Ottawa: Filip Zadina, RW
At this spot, I think they might think hard about taking one of the right shooting defenders. In the end, they go with Zadina, who would be BPA, and gives them a top line winger in moving forward.
Comparison: Something in between a Filip Forsberg and Marian Hossa. At this time, I don't think he has Hossa's defensive ability, but he does have similarities in his offensive skill and sense. He could be a top line winger, ala Forsberg, that can help drive play.

4. Arizona: Brady Tkachuk, LW
I still think Tkachuk ticks off many boxes for the Coyotes, even if I do have him personally slipping on my own list, due to lack of production. The Coyotes love guys with hereditary connections; there's the fact Keith played with the team; he was born in Arizona; they love American players; and so on. They could potentially market around him and play him with undersized skilled guys such as Keller and Domi.
Comparison: Matthew Tkachuk. He isn't an exact player like his brother. They do share some attributes for their grit and tenacity, though. Potentially, I see him building out a long, lasting career like Scott Hartnell.

5. Buffalo: Adam Boqvist, D
The Sabres need to walk out with the best defenseman available. Depending on whomever they like, that could be Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Smith or Hughes. For this instance, I'll say they walk away with Boqvist, who has true #1 potential.
Comparison: Erik Karlsson. He has the ability to roam with the puck, shoot it on net with a variety of shots and has a load of skill.

6. Edmonton: Evan Bouchard, D
They desperately need someone from the back to get the puck out to McDavid and company. He's having an all-time season with a weak London team. With Edmonton's noted-defense problems, he could become their #1 guy sooner than later.
Comparison: To me, he's kind of like a Roman Josi. He doesn't have Josi's skating ability (yet); but his smarts, calm demeanour, hockey IQ and ability to get plenty of shots on net.

7. Montreal: Oliver Wahlstrom, RW
If they trade Max Pacioretty, they're going to need another high-volume shooter to come in. The Habs have been known to go with Americans before, they venture back there and hope to pair Wahlstrom with Poehling a little way down the line.
Comparison: Vladimir Tarasenko. A high-volume shooting, offensive winger that can come down off the wing with a bevy of speed and put up offense.

8. New York Rangers: Noah Dobson, D
They've just traded away Ryan McDonagh, leaving a gaping hole on defense for them. They're going to need someone to come in and play a top pairing role and Dobson could be that future guy.
Comparison: Alex Pietrangelo. A top pairing, "safe" defenseman that can move the puck along, keep things simple, play well at both ends of the ice, as well as put up some offense of his own.

9. Detroit: Quinn Hughes, D
The Detroit love their size, so... they draft a 5'9/5'10" defenseman. ...It's different than their modus operandi, sure; but he plays in their backyard and brings the possibility of a potentially elite left-shot defenseman into the fold. In terms of offensive potential from the backend, he might have top 5 upside. His lack of size is what drops him down to 9th, however.
Comparison: I've used a young Dan Boyle as his comparable. He wasn't the biggest defenseman, but was able to use his speed, skill and hockey smarts to become a top pairing defender.

10. New York Islanders: Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C/RW
I think he's going to keep rising all the way to the draft, eventually finding himself in the top 10. As a Habs fan, I was even considering him at #7, ultimately going with Wahlstrom. The Isles pick him up, boosting their depth in case of John Tavares potentially leaving.
Comparison: Sean Monahan. A combination of two-way ability and skill that allow him to park himself in front of the net and use his wrister to score goals. A top 6 center with upside.

11. Florida: Ty Smith, D
Hoping for Hughes to fall, they instead settle on Ty Smith, which is still a great pickup. He could form a pairing with Aaron Ekblad, solidifying their blueline, which needs more depth.
Comparison: Mark Giordano. His skating is elite-level, he can move the puck, be a leader and do a little bit of everything.

12. Carolina: Isac Lundestrom, C/LW
After going with the offensive, playmaking center, Necas, last year, they go with a more straight-forward center that could potentially play in a #2/3 role. Keeping strong down the middle is one of the best ways to find success in the current NHL and that could be their plan here.
Comparison: Bo Horvat. I consider him to ba toolsy, two-way type of center that can hit, make plays and line-up against difficult opposition.

13. New York Islanders (from Calgary): Bode Wilde, D
The Islanders opt to take a chance on the big offensive defenseman that has some risk in his game. It increases their depth on the blueline, plus he's a coveted right shot defender, which is something every team is looking for.
Comparison: Rasmus Ristolainen. A big, risky offensive defenseman with a cannon of a shot.

14. Colorado: Joseph Veleno, C
The Avs go with their perceived best player available. He's cooled off a little since getting hot at the start of 2018; but at this position, he'd still be great value. He might be a solid #2 industrious, playmaking center some day. It's worth a shot.
Comparison: Josh Bailey. A player capable of playing center that focuses mainly on passing and playmaking ability that can also play a two-way game.

15. Philadelphia (from St. Louis): Grigori Denisenko, LW/RW
Denisenko is in line with how they draft first rounders these past few years: focusing solely on skill. He's looked great in tournaments. If he works out, he can line up alongside Couturier and/or Nolan Patrick in the future and work on a line with them.
Comparison: Jonathan Drouin. To me, he's a silky smooth perimeter type of offensive player with huge upside, but might also face consistency issues.

16. Columbus: Barrett Hayton, C
Despite Pierre-Luc Dubois looking good as a top line center, they'd still like to add more depth down the middle. He could come in within a few years and play a 2nd line center role, playing against tough competition, while also playing in a secondary role.
Comparison: Bryan Little. The type of center that can play difficult minutes, with an excellent shot and two-way skill.

17. Anaheim: Rasmus Kupari, C/RW
It gives the Ducks some depth down the middle. Guys such as Kesler and Getzlaf aren't getting any younger, so making sure depth there is key. With his bursts of speed, he could be a viable top 6 forward in moving ahead.
Comparison: Matt Duchene. Maybe moreso current Duchene and not the version we got when he first broke in. A player with a lot of speed and skill, but can battle inconsistency.

18. New Jersey: Nils Lundkvist, D
If you ask me, he's going to be this year's Erik Brannstrom -- meaning he's a late riser that jumps up the boards with a team really liking him. He's looked great lately and has put up good numbers. I could see the Devils being interested in his play style, loving how he moves the puck and brings offense from the backend.
Comparison: Shayne Gostisbehere. An undersized, but mobile and offensive defenseman that's often looked as good, if not better than, Adam Boqvist as of late.

19. Los Angeles: Joel Farabee, LW
The perfect style of high IQ player that fits really well into the Kings's system. He's a top 6 type of forward that can bring speed, offense and two-way play.
Comparison: Zach Parise. They both can jet up and down the ice and play with an edge, along with smarts and playmaking ability.

20. Dallas: Jakub Lauko, C/LW
With the draft being held in Dallas, they'll look to hit an off-the-board homerun by taking Lauko, whom I think could be like Filip Chytil from last year -- a late riser. He's capable of playing center - a team need - and he has blistering speed and a great shot. They'll need him to be a secondary guy, which would take more pressure off him, allowing to play behind Seguin/Benn.
Comparison: Mika Zibenajad. I think he could be a speedy 2nd line forward that can blow past defenders, put pucks on net and make life difficult for the opposition on special teams.

21. Philadelphia: Serron Noel, RW
With this pick, the Flyers go for size and skill. Originally, I had them targeting a defenseman, but someone with Noel's raw potential could be hard to pass on for them. He could make a nice complementary player alongside Couturier or Nolan Patrick.
Comparison: Anthony Mantha. A big, raw, 6'5" forward that can go to and be effective around the net area.

22. San Jose: Ryan McLeod, C
While they have a few centers in their system, it might time for the Sharks try and find someone that could potentially take over for Joe Thornton. I'm not saying he's gonna have the same upside as Thornton -- because he's not -- but the size factor and speed give him a lot of tools to work with and those are the type of players the Sharks love drafting.
Comparison: At top end, he's probably sort of similar to their very own Tomas Hertl; but I see him becoming more like a David Legwand type of middle 6 center, using his size and speed to work hard produce.

23. Minnesota: K'Andre Miller, D
Miller's a Minnesotan native, so it makes it easy for the Wild to run up the floor and draft him. He's another guy that's raw with potential and has high upside, if he everything works out right. They'd love to have him, I'm thinking.
Comparison: Brady Skjei. Mobile, physical and with the ability to also put up some points. He could become a solid middle pairing defender.

24. St. Louis (from Winnipeg): Dominik Bokk, RW
If he's still available, the Blues should take him and run for the hills. He's the best German since Leon Draisaitl and his usage of speed and skill makes him absolutely dynamic, adding him to the growing grow up talent the Blues have. They go for BPA, giving them plenty of options in moving forward, especially if they make a trade.
Comparison: Phil Kessel. With his speed and sniping ability, he can be a forward that can be counted on to score goals and put up points.

25. Toronto: Jett Woo, D
After going with the offensive defenseman, Liljegren, last year, they take another right side defender in Jett Woo. He should become a more stay-at-home, "safe" defenseman compared to the aforemention Liljegren, giving the Leafs some solid depth on that side.
Comparison: Francois Beauchemin. A guy that'll mainly play a shutdown role, but can hit and add some offense, as well.

26. New York Rangers (from Boston): Ryan Merkley, D
Having 3 first round picks, they can afford to take risk with Merkley. They took a guy with character issues in Sean Day a few years ago; they do the same here, hoping it pays off.
Comparison: He's extremely boom or bust. If he can start listening to his coaches, work on his attitude and learn to play defense, he can be much like PK Subban, who also fell in his draft year because of defense issues. If not, he could be Anthony DeAngelo 2.0, who has yet to find a solid career in the league.

27. Washington: Jared McIsaac, D
I have the Capitals scooping up falling defenseman, Jared McIsaac. At this slot, McIsaac could be a potential steal, even if he only turns into a shutdown type. Either way, there's tools in his game, which can be brought out if he's developed right.
Comparison: Jaccob Slavin. Good size, skating ability and a range of tools that could potentially turn him into a two-way defender.

28. Ottawa (from Pittsburgh): Mattias Samuelsson, D
With great size and two-way prowess, it might make sense for the Sens to draft him, especially if they're on a rebuild. He's kind of a "safe" pick, making sure they walk away with another prospect from the draft and has potential to be a top 4.
Comparison: I liken him to a Mattias Ekholm. Big size and long stick that can strip pucks away, along with shutdown ability and a big, hard point shot to keep opponent's honest.

29. Detroit (from Vegas): Akil Thomas, C/LW
Often described as a "buzzsaw", he'd interest the Wings, who often like drafting out of the OHL. I think they'd like to add more center depth, so it'd make a nice addition, liking his ability to make plays and add offense.
Comparison: Nazem Kadri.

30. New York Rangers (from Tampa Bay): Jacob Olofsson, C
The Rangers to Sweden to draft the two-way center, giving them more depth down the middle. Like Lias Andersson last year, he's considered a "safe" pick, wanting to rebuild their roster that's been broken down and traded away.
Comparison: Derrick Brassard. Speedy with some two-way ability, he's likely to become a middle 6 center.

31. Chicago (from Nashville): Rasmus Sandin, D
He's one of my personal favorites from the draft, having improved his game so much to get him into the first round. Even though his foot speed still needs work, he plays a smart, offensive, well-posiitioned game, which would be a good add to the Blackhawks, who'll need bodies to take over from Duncan Keith in a few years.
Comparison: In my opinion, I think he can be similar to Andrei Markov. Both of them not having the best size or skating ability, but used their smarts and ability to move the pucks to excel.

Round 2
================

32. Florida (from Arizona): Vitali Kravtsov, RW
They have some room on their right wing side to add some depth. The Russian factor barely drops him out of the 1st round; with the Panthers being one to jump on him.
Comparison: Evgeny Kuznetsov. Playmaking skill and offense from a Russian-born talent.

33. Buffalo: Jack Drury, C
I have Drury moving quickly up the draft board, even thinking about having him, an Illinois native, go to the Hawks. For now, I'll have the Sabres jump on him. The fact that his uncle, Chris Drury, certainly helps with the fact they'd like him.
Comparison: Paul Stastny. Probably not a top end center; but a guy that can play behind Eichel in a lineup, provide two-way ability and can put up points.

34. Detroit (from Ottawa): Jack McBain, C
They're a team that loves drafting for size. They need depth down the middle; and even though he hasn't blown people away in the OJHL, this would be a good slot to pick him up.
Comparison: Charlie Coyle is probably his top end. With Zack Kassian being his lower end.

35. Vancouver: Jonatan Berggren, C/RW
If the Canucks are building their own mini-Team Sweden, then taking Berggren would be the next best step. He's smaller, but brings plenty of offensive skill.
Comparison: Jaden Schwartz. A pure speedy, offensive forward.

36. Edmonton: Liam Foudy, C/LW
He's been having one hell of a second half of the season, which is going to vault him up the board. Getting their puck mover in the first round, they can jump on a speedy forward such as Foudy, something they desperately need.
Comparison: Andreas Athansiou. Blazing speed that can rush to the net to score goals.

37. Montreal: Ty Dellandrea, C
The Habs are in dire need of center depth. Dellandrea and his rugged, speedy play might have top 6 upside. It's worth a shot.
Comparison: Dylan Larkin. Straight north and south player/center that can cut straight to the net and provide offense and intangibles.

38. New York Rangers: Martin Kaut, RW
They take the Czech forward, hoping he can develop alongside Filip Chytil, one of their first rounders from last year.
Comparison: Justin Williams. A blend of two-way play and skill off the wing.

39. Montreal (from Chicago): Blake McLaughin, LW/C
Once more, the Habs return to the American developmental system to take a player. McLaughlin has first round level of talent and should be getting more love from rankings, in my opinion. Plus he's capable of playing center, although he's likely to become a winger.
Comparison: Joe Pavelski. Not huge in size, but a pure, smart offensive forward that can also bring solid defense.

40. Detroit: Jesse Ylonen, RW
One of the more underrated players in the draft. He'd bring a ton of speed and talent to rebuilding Red Wings organization.
Comparison: Mike Hoffman. Think of an industrious, skilled offensive forward.

41. New York Islanders: Kevin Bahl, D
Even though smaller players are increasingly lighting up the league, teams still go wild over size. A big shutdown defender like Bahl would go early in the 2nd.
Comparison: Nikita Zadorov. Huge in size, physical and can shut the opponents down.

42. Washington (from Florida): Alexander Khovanov, C/LW
Even though he's playing in North America, there's still the Russian factor fear. The Capitals have never really feared that, so they jump on him. Hepatitis is another factor that knocks him into the second.
Comparison: Mikael Granlund. An undersized, playmaking center/winger whose skating is just okay, but can put up points.

43. Carolina: Filip Hallander, C/LW
The Hurricane love their Finns... and they also love their Swedes. He'd be the best player available in this slot, with the 'Canes being all over him.
Comparison: Rickard Rakell. Versatile scoring forward that also plays defense well. May be more of a responsible middle 6 type.

44. New York Islanders (from Calgary): Benoit-Olivier Groulx, LW/C
While I like Groulx, I'm not sure if he has the highest upside, thus my reasoning for placing him in the second round. Around here, he'd be great value, bringing versatility and grit as a third line role.
Comparison: Brandon Dubinsky. Not a big-time scorer. A guy that can do a little bit of everything, including being a leader.

45. Colorado: Jonathan Tychonick, D
Tychonick likely has first round level of talent. However, playing in a lesser league might drop him. Luckily for the Avs, they embrace this, ala their drafting of Makar last year. In fact, Tychonick and Makar on the left and right gives them plenty of options and puck movement ability in moving forward.
Comparison: Nick Leddy. Brings speed and skill from the left side of the blueline.

46. St. Louis: Jacob Bernard-Docker, D
A hard, right-shooting defender that'll likely have teams wondering why he went only in the second round in a few years from now. The Blues would like to work a bit on their blueline with their further picks, having a solid group of forwards in the pipeline.
Comparison: Justin Faulk. A big shooting defender that'll bring offense, some grit and can do a bit of everything, even if it's in a bottom 4 role.

47. Columbus: Cole Fonstad, LW/C
It's more scoring depth for the Blue Jackets, who jump on the undersized, but extremely skilled WHL player. With a fairly steady blueline, they'll look to work on their forwards for their first few picks.
Comparison: Brayden Point. Offense, offense, offense. He brings speed and playmaking skill, even with his lack of size.

48. Anaheim: Alexander Alexeyev, D
The Ducks go for the big Russian defenseman. Their defense has taken a bit of a hit these past few years, so it's time to build that area back up again.
Comparison: Esa Lindell. Solid, two-way defenseman that'll complement an offensive defender quite well.

49. New York Rangers (from New Jersey): Curtis Hall, C/LW
Born in the New York area, it'd make sense for the Rangers to pick him up, especially using the Devils's draft pick. He probably shifts to wing as a pro, but if he makes it, he could be a sizeable depth goal scorer for them.
Comparison: At top end, he's probably an Anders Lee type of player.

50. Los Angeles: Albin Eriksson, LW
Size and speed will always get you drafted highly. The Kings put a lot of faith in their European scouting. Eriksson seems like the type that would go well within their system.
Comparison: Austin Watson. He can be a force, thanks to his big size and speed. Will his offense translate?

51. Dallas: Ryan O'Reilly, RW
With the draft in Dallas, they just have to draft the Texas-born sniper. They go for it now; because I could see a team jumping him before their turn in the 3rd round.
Comparison: Connor Brown. Likely a middle 6 scoring winger that can use his great shot to put pucks in the net.

52. Philadelphia: Calen Addison, D
They take the best right-shooting defenseman available. His lack of size knocks him down the board of the second round; but it's good value.
Comparison: Ty Barrie. An undersized, puck-moving defenseman that can make plays and work a powerplay.

53. Toronto (from San Jose): Allan McShane, C
His lack of foot speed might halt him from going high. The Leafs need center depth, so he'd be a nice pickup for this location, in my opinion. He wouldn't have to be a number 1 guy, so they can let him develop for a while.
Comparison: Ryan O'Reilly. A two-way, industrious center that can do a bit of everything -- from playmaking, play against tough competition, and so on.

54. Arizona (from Minnesota): Jake Wise, C
His lack of size knocks him down the draft board. The Coyotes depth down the middle is worrisome, so they pick him up, hoping he can use his smarts, two-way play and overall skill to develop into a top 9 center.
Comparison: Vincent Trochek. Small in stature and blessed with bursting speed, he's probably more of a playmaker than Trochek... but he can play well at both ends of the ice.

55. Winnipeg: David Gustafsson, C
He has good size, which the Jets love to draft. He's also looked good as of late, playing like a first round candidate. It gives them depth down the middle.
Comparison: Victor Rask. Not a great skater; but he has size and scoring talent.

56. Montreal (from Toronto): Phillip Kurashev, C/RW
Playing in the Q, they can develop him locally and keep a close eye on him. He can play a role as a pure center, filling a need for the rebuilding Habs.
Comparison: Marcus Johansson. I view him as a smart, skilled, two-way player that can play center or wing, likely becoming a nice middle 6 addition.

57. Boston: Jay O'Brien, C
The Bruins love taking Americans... and he's a local player to boot. He might be going under-viewed, but all reports are that he's a responsible, two-way center that can win faceoffs, along with having a helluva wrister. It might be a good pickup for them.
Comparison: Adrian Kempe. Likely a 2nd/3rd line center with good defensive play, along with speed and a strong enough shot to score himself some goals.

58. Montreal (from Washington): Xavier Bernard, D
The Habs go with a Quebecois defender for their final pick of the second round. They need size and depth on the left-hand side of defense and he gives them exactly that.
Comparison: Jeff Petry. He mixes puck movement, size and scoring ability in one nice package.

59. Pittsburgh: Cam Hillis, C
If he's still somehow still on the board, the Pens would have to draft him. It'd give them some speedy and playmaking skill down the middle. Allowing him to play behind Crosby and Malkin would give him plenty of developmental time.
Comparison: Christian Dvorak. Similar to Dvorak, who also fell and also brings a similar skillset.

60. Vegas: Sampo Ranta, RW/LW
After trading away their first rounder, they hope to land a goal scoring winger that could gel well with Cody Glass, Nick Suzuki and company. His blazing speed alone could make him a valuable 3rd line, at least.
Comparison: Brendan Perlini. A big, power skating winger that can drive down off the rush and score goals.

61. Tampa Bay: Ruslan Ishakhov, LW/RW
An extremely offensive Russian undersized forward going to the Lightning. Tell me if you've heard this one before. ;]. Even though he's only 5'7", I could definitely see a team such as the Bolts loving him. It's probably worth the risk.
Comparison: Johnny Gaudreau. Short in stature; but huge in skill level.

62. Colorado (from Nashville): Tyler Madden, C/RW
After some of the battles the Avs had against John Madden and the Devils, it's a weird turnaround to see his son drafted by Colorado. If they'd take him, they'd appreciate his skill level.
Comparison: Max Domi. Different level of skill than his father; Tyler Madden's a stickhandling wizard, albeit with smaller size.

Round 3
================

63. Arizona: Jakub Skarek, G
The first goalie is finally off the board! We go 2 rounds with a single goalie chosen, until the Coyotes step up and take the best available, needing to build up that area.
Comparison: Connor Hellebuyck.

64. Minnesota (from Buffalo): Milos Roman, C
Injuries might drop him into the third. It'd be for the Wild's gain, though; as he could become a solid 2-way prospect.
Comparison: Vladislav Namestnikov.

65. Pittsburgh (from Ottawa): Slava Demin, D
Playing in a lesser league might keep him out of the top 60. The Penguins could take him to build up their blueline.
Comparison: Markus Nutivaraa.

66. Vancouver: Kyle Topping, C
Last year, they drafted Kole Lind and it's looked like a steal. They then reunite him with his center from Kelowna, Kyle Topping.
Comparison: Ondrej Palat.

67. Edmonton: Aidan Dudas, LW
Despite his lack of size, he's the type of never-stop competing type of forward the Oilers need to add to their lineup. He could slot in anywhere, whether it's with McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH as his center and it'd also give them depth on the left.
Comparison: Brendan Gallagher.

68. Montreal: Nathan Dunkley, C/LW
If he's even still inexplicably here at this point, the Habs would have to take him. This means the Habs would walk out with Wahlstrom, Dellandrea, McLaughlin, Kurashev, Bernard and now Dunkley as their first 6 draft choices. They'd still have 4 more to go that they could use to take take a few risks on, or draft a few more defensemen.
Comparison: JT Compher.

69. New York Rangers: Niklas Nordgren, RW
His size makes him questionable... but you can't doubt the offensive skill he's been displaying this season. A nice pickup in the third round for the Rangers, if he's still there.
Comparison: Jonathan Marchessault is his likely upside.

70. Chicago: Jack Randl, LW
A skilled forward from Illinois that's fallen under the radar. It could be a smart pickup.
Comparison: Kris Versteeg.

71. Detroit: Axel Andersson, D
The Wings trust in their European scouting, thinking they have a solid pickup here. He's the prototypical type of modern day NHL defenseman.
Comparison: Nate Schmidt.

72. New York Islanders: Blade Jenkins, RW/C
Consistency and skating are the big issues here. If he can find a way to put it together, he could become a solid top 9 guy.
Comparison: Brandon Saad.

73. Boston (from Florida): Tyler Weiss, LW/RW
It's another pick from the American developmental systems. His speed is dynamic and good enough to make him at least a third line disruptor.
Comparison: Bryan Rust.

74. Carolina: Alec Regula, D
Having just missed out on local kid, Tyler Weiss, they instead decide to go for the big defenseman, Alec Regula. He fits the M.O. for Ron Francis's scouting of defenders: big, American guys that can skate fairly well.
Comparison: Jake Dotchin.

75. Arizona (from Calgary): Sean Durzi, D
After being passed over last year, he's worked on his game and now hopes his offensive ability can find him a spot in the NHL.
Comparison: Brandon Montour.

76. Colorado: Kirill Marchenko, RW/C
He had a coming out period during the Five Nations tournament. I think it might have been enough to make him a riser, putting him into the third round.
Comparison: Chris Kreider.

77. St. Louis: Filip Kral, D
Like their previous pick, it's a move to boost their defensive depth. Kral's the type of player that can keep the puck out of his own zone, which would be something the Blues would love to add.
Comparison: Andrej Sekera.

78. Columbus: Giovanni Vallati, D
This pick gives the Blue Jackets more depth on their blueline. It gives them more options going forward if they wish to trade a defender for some help up front.
Comparison: Michael Matheson.

79. Anaheim: Nando Eggenberger, LW
If they're lucky, he becomes a decent complementary type of winger if he makes it. He's been dropping in the rankings, with the Ducks hoping to capitalize.
Comparison: Jamie McGinn.

80. Anaheim (from New Jersey): Filip Johansson, D
An offensive, puck mover to the Ducks to help keep their blueline strong. He has the potential to be drafted even higher.
Comparison: Colin Miller.

81. Los Angeles: Luka Burzan, LW/C
They go for a speedy, energetic center/winger, which is the style of game they want to build upon. He could be the type whose stock increases after being drafted.
Comparison: Cody Eakin.

82. Dallas: Adam Ginning, D
With his size and strength, it gives the Stars more depth on the backend. I know they're well-stacked back there, it just gives them more to work with.
Comparison: Joel Edmundsson.

83. Philadelphia: Jacob Ragnarsson, D
It's another boost to the Flyers backend. His father spent a short time with the Flyers, so it might be a nice pickup as a smart, puck-moving defender.
Comparison: Paul Martin.

84. Toronto (from San Jose): Kody Clark, RW
Drafting Wendel's son just seems like a great addition. They need some grit to play in their top 9; he could be their guy.
Comparison: Justin Abdelkader.

85. Minnesota: Justus Annunnen, G
The big, Finnish goaltender could be an ideal pickup for the Wild. Their current goaltender depth is not exactly overflowing, so it'd be a good start.
Comparison: Pekka Rinne.

86. Winnipeg: Curtis Douglas, C
Everyone knows the Jets love size... why not go with the biggest player in the draft? 6'8" centers don't come around often. They may as well test their luck with him. With size still being such a premium, I wouldn't count out him being drafted in the second round.
Comparison: Nick Bjugstad.

87. Chicago (from Toronto): Riley Stotts, C
They need some centers in their system. Stotts is one of the better guys on the board, so they take him, hoping he can turn into a useful center for them.
Comparison: Tyler Bozak.

88. New York Rangers (from Boston): Ty Emberson, D
With his ability to skate with the puck, he might be able to become at least a bottom pairing defender that can build a long career. Either way, it's more defensive depth for the Rangers.
Comparison: Ron Hainsey.

89. Washington: Danila Zhuravlyov, D
The Capitals go back and take another Russian. He might slip in the draft, solely because of the Russian factor. The Caps pay to mind and are happy to take him, thinking he has top 4 upside.
Comparison: Kevin Shattenkirk.

90. Detroit (from Pittsburgh): Amir Miftakhov, G
The Red Wings need some goalies in their system. The best one left on the board, in my opinion, would be Miftakhov, who is playing out of Russia. Give him some developmental time and let's see what he turns in to.
Comparison: Jaroslav Halak.

91. Minnesota (from Vegas: Scott Perunovich, D
He's been passed-over, but they hope his extra development can lead to him becoming a player sooner than later. He's kind of similar to their own Jared Spurgeon, in that his size is small and his skill is immense.
Comparison: Jared Spurgeon.

92. Tampa Bay: Martin Fehervary, D
He should offset the loss of Libor Hajek in their system. He has potential to at least be a bottom pairing guy with some two-way skill and physicality.
Comparison: Jake McCabe.

93. Nashville: Anderson MacDonald, LW
Thanks to cold streaks, he's a faller. He should still be taken in the first 3 rounds, though. The Preds might take a flyer on him, beefing up their left wing. At the very least Eeli Tolvanen could potentially bounce pucks off him.
Comparison: Chris Stewart.

----

There's still a lot of good talent left on the board, too. In the 4th round, I'd expect guys such as Riley Damiani, Alex Steeves, Jan Jenik, Matej Pekar, Michael Callahan, Liam Kirk, Linus Nyman, Jackson Leppard, Samuel Fagemo, Nico Gross, Riley Sutter, Jachym Kondelik, Bulat Shafigullin, Ivan Morozov, etc. to drop around there.

johum7

Nov 8, 2017
Freddy
Can't really see Tkachuk going ahead of Hughes, Boqvist and Bouchard. Kravtsov is most likely a top-25 player, Kurashev could be up higher a few slots. Tychonick and Hallander could probably end up as first rounders. MacDonald is probably a top 80 player

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
not bad for the Oilers. after they take a much needed potential high scoring RD in Evan Bouchard, they take speedy F Liam Foudy and gritty forward Aiden Dudas. i expect the Oilers to go 1 d-man then a bunch of forwards after, depending on whether or not they finish in the top 5. good job on the list and descriptions!

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
I’d be one very pleased Habs fan of the draft played out this way!
Although with 4 picks in the 2nd round, I wouldn’t mind swinging for the fences with one of the earlier ones and taking Cole Fonstad.

BROCK HUGHES

Jun 3, 2006
Victoria bc/red deer alberta
Time to dig in again and do another 3 round personal mock. Just some notes beforehand: I'm not a scout or anything. It's all just fan-made. My comparables to players should be taken lightly; as it'd be asinine to think everyone will develop into the same exact player, let alone even make the league.

The rankings are done via the current date, March 2nd, along with post-playoff formula. I'm predicting a Tampa-Pittsburgh ECF; with a Nashville-Vegas WCF. In the finals, I have Nashville beating out Pittsburgh for the Cup. Also, divisional winners are also near the bottom of each round and so on.

As for the lottery, I ran it using tankathon and came out with:

1. Vancouver
2. Chicago
3. Ottawa

One other note: I've been working on this since the 1st and with a head cold. Ignore any typos or errors, I'm sure it's the effect of Benadryl. :)

Round 1
================

1. Vancouver: Rasmus Dahlin, D
After years of getting screwed over with the lottery, they finally fall upon good luck. They're building a little Team Sweden of their own; and the Sedins could definitely help him with the transition. He's the real deal and gives the Canucks a #1 defenseman immediately going forward.
Comparison: I've said before he's pretty unique. He's kind of like Jay Bouwmeester when he was first breaking in... but maybe with some Scott Niedermayer. Think of a player with good size, two-way skill, puck movement/transition, offense, etc..

2. Chicago: Andrei Svechnikov, RW
If they do win a lottery slot, it could help them to bounce right back after a poor season. I think a lot of their players are tired and are due for a bounceback season anyhow next year. Adding Svechnikov would just be the icing on top of that. He could possibly revive Toews's trajectory.
Comparison: Think of a winger version of Evgeni Malkin. The ability to dish the puck, score goals, burst to the net and so on.

3. Ottawa: Filip Zadina, RW
At this spot, I think they might think hard about taking one of the right shooting defenders. In the end, they go with Zadina, who would be BPA, and gives them a top line winger in moving forward.
Comparison: Something in between a Filip Forsberg and Marian Hossa. At this time, I don't think he has Hossa's defensive ability, but he does have similarities in his offensive skill and sense. He could be a top line winger, ala Forsberg, that can help drive play.

4. Arizona: Brady Tkachuk, LW
I still think Tkachuk ticks off many boxes for the Coyotes, even if I do have him personally slipping on my own list, due to lack of production. The Coyotes love guys with hereditary connections; there's the fact Keith played with the team; he was born in Arizona; they love American players; and so on. They could potentially market around him and play him with undersized skilled guys such as Keller and Domi.
Comparison: Matthew Tkachuk. He isn't an exact player like his brother. They do share some attributes for their grit and tenacity, though. Potentially, I see him building out a long, lasting career like Scott Hartnell.

5. Buffalo: Adam Boqvist, D
The Sabres need to walk out with the best defenseman available. Depending on whomever they like, that could be Boqvist, Bouchard, Dobson, Smith or Hughes. For this instance, I'll say they walk away with Boqvist, who has true #1 potential.
Comparison: Erik Karlsson. He has the ability to roam with the puck, shoot it on net with a variety of shots and has a load of skill.

6. Edmonton: Evan Bouchard, D
They desperately need someone from the back to get the puck out to McDavid and company. He's having an all-time season with a weak London team. With Edmonton's noted-defense problems, he could become their #1 guy sooner than later.
Comparison: To me, he's kind of like a Roman Josi. He doesn't have Josi's skating ability (yet); but his smarts, calm demeanour, hockey IQ and ability to get plenty of shots on net.

7. Montreal: Oliver Wahlstrom, RW
If they trade Max Pacioretty, they're going to need another high-volume shooter to come in. The Habs have been known to go with Americans before, they venture back there and hope to pair Wahlstrom with Poehling a little way down the line.
Comparison: Vladimir Tarasenko. A high-volume shooting, offensive winger that can come down off the wing with a bevy of speed and put up offense.

8. New York Rangers: Noah Dobson, D
They've just traded away Ryan McDonagh, leaving a gaping hole on defense for them. They're going to need someone to come in and play a top pairing role and Dobson could be that future guy.
Comparison: Alex Pietrangelo. A top pairing, "safe" defenseman that can move the puck along, keep things simple, play well at both ends of the ice, as well as put up some offense of his own.

9. Detroit: Quinn Hughes, D
The Detroit love their size, so... they draft a 5'9/5'10" defenseman. ...It's different than their modus operandi, sure; but he plays in their backyard and brings the possibility of a potentially elite left-shot defenseman into the fold. In terms of offensive potential from the backend, he might have top 5 upside. His lack of size is what drops him down to 9th, however.
Comparison: I've used a young Dan Boyle as his comparable. He wasn't the biggest defenseman, but was able to use his speed, skill and hockey smarts to become a top pairing defender.

10. New York Islanders: Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C/RW
I think he's going to keep rising all the way to the draft, eventually finding himself in the top 10. As a Habs fan, I was even considering him at #7, ultimately going with Wahlstrom. The Isles pick him up, boosting their depth in case of John Tavares potentially leaving.
Comparison: Sean Monahan. A combination of two-way ability and skill that allow him to park himself in front of the net and use his wrister to score goals. A top 6 center with upside.

11. Florida: Ty Smith, D
Hoping for Hughes to fall, they instead settle on Ty Smith, which is still a great pickup. He could form a pairing with Aaron Ekblad, solidifying their blueline, which needs more depth.
Comparison: Mark Giordano. His skating is elite-level, he can move the puck, be a leader and do a little bit of everything.

12. Carolina: Isac Lundestrom, C/LW
After going with the offensive, playmaking center, Necas, last year, they go with a more straight-forward center that could potentially play in a #2/3 role. Keeping strong down the middle is one of the best ways to find success in the current NHL and that could be their plan here.
Comparison: Bo Horvat. I consider him to ba toolsy, two-way type of center that can hit, make plays and line-up against difficult opposition.

13. New York Islanders (from Calgary): Bode Wilde, D
The Islanders opt to take a chance on the big offensive defenseman that has some risk in his game. It increases their depth on the blueline, plus he's a coveted right shot defender, which is something every team is looking for.
Comparison: Rasmus Ristolainen. A big, risky offensive defenseman with a cannon of a shot.

14. Colorado: Joseph Veleno, C
The Avs go with their perceived best player available. He's cooled off a little since getting hot at the start of 2018; but at this position, he'd still be great value. He might be a solid #2 industrious, playmaking center some day. It's worth a shot.
Comparison: Josh Bailey. A player capable of playing center that focuses mainly on passing and playmaking ability that can also play a two-way game.

15. Philadelphia (from St. Louis): Grigori Denisenko, LW/RW
Denisenko is in line with how they draft first rounders these past few years: focusing solely on skill. He's looked great in tournaments. If he works out, he can line up alongside Couturier and/or Nolan Patrick in the future and work on a line with them.
Comparison: Jonathan Drouin. To me, he's a silky smooth perimeter type of offensive player with huge upside, but might also face consistency issues.

16. Columbus: Barrett Hayton, C
Despite Pierre-Luc Dubois looking good as a top line center, they'd still like to add more depth down the middle. He could come in within a few years and play a 2nd line center role, playing against tough competition, while also playing in a secondary role.
Comparison: Bryan Little. The type of center that can play difficult minutes, with an excellent shot and two-way skill.

17. Anaheim: Rasmus Kupari, C/RW
It gives the Ducks some depth down the middle. Guys such as Kesler and Getzlaf aren't getting any younger, so making sure depth there is key. With his bursts of speed, he could be a viable top 6 forward in moving ahead.
Comparison: Matt Duchene. Maybe moreso current Duchene and not the version we got when he first broke in. A player with a lot of speed and skill, but can battle inconsistency.

18. New Jersey: Nils Lundkvist, D
If you ask me, he's going to be this year's Erik Brannstrom -- meaning he's a late riser that jumps up the boards with a team really liking him. He's looked great lately and has put up good numbers. I could see the Devils being interested in his play style, loving how he moves the puck and brings offense from the backend.
Comparison: Shayne Gostisbehere. An undersized, but mobile and offensive defenseman that's often looked as good, if not better than, Adam Boqvist as of late.

19. Los Angeles: Joel Farabee, LW
The perfect style of high IQ player that fits really well into the Kings's system. He's a top 6 type of forward that can bring speed, offense and two-way play.
Comparison: Zach Parise. They both can jet up and down the ice and play with an edge, along with smarts and playmaking ability.

20. Dallas: Jakub Lauko, C/LW
With the draft being held in Dallas, they'll look to hit an off-the-board homerun by taking Lauko, whom I think could be like Filip Chytil from last year -- a late riser. He's capable of playing center - a team need - and he has blistering speed and a great shot. They'll need him to be a secondary guy, which would take more pressure off him, allowing to play behind Seguin/Benn.
Comparison: Mika Zibenajad. I think he could be a speedy 2nd line forward that can blow past defenders, put pucks on net and make life difficult for the opposition on special teams.

21. Philadelphia: Serron Noel, RW
With this pick, the Flyers go for size and skill. Originally, I had them targeting a defenseman, but someone with Noel's raw potential could be hard to pass on for them. He could make a nice complementary player alongside Couturier or Nolan Patrick.
Comparison: Anthony Mantha. A big, raw, 6'5" forward that can go to and be effective around the net area.

22. San Jose: Ryan McLeod, C
While they have a few centers in their system, it might time for the Sharks try and find someone that could potentially take over for Joe Thornton. I'm not saying he's gonna have the same upside as Thornton -- because he's not -- but the size factor and speed give him a lot of tools to work with and those are the type of players the Sharks love drafting.
Comparison: At top end, he's probably sort of similar to their very own Tomas Hertl; but I see him becoming more like a David Legwand type of middle 6 center, using his size and speed to work hard produce.

23. Minnesota: K'Andre Miller, D
Miller's a Minnesotan native, so it makes it easy for the Wild to run up the floor and draft him. He's another guy that's raw with potential and has high upside, if he everything works out right. They'd love to have him, I'm thinking.
Comparison: Brady Skjei. Mobile, physical and with the ability to also put up some points. He could become a solid middle pairing defender.

24. St. Louis (from Winnipeg): Dominik Bokk, RW
If he's still available, the Blues should take him and run for the hills. He's the best German since Leon Draisaitl and his usage of speed and skill makes him absolutely dynamic, adding him to the growing grow up talent the Blues have. They go for BPA, giving them plenty of options in moving forward, especially if they make a trade.
Comparison: Phil Kessel. With his speed and sniping ability, he can be a forward that can be counted on to score goals and put up points.

25. Toronto: Jett Woo, D
After going with the offensive defenseman, Liljegren, last year, they take another right side defender in Jett Woo. He should become a more stay-at-home, "safe" defenseman compared to the aforemention Liljegren, giving the Leafs some solid depth on that side.
Comparison: Francois Beauchemin. A guy that'll mainly play a shutdown role, but can hit and add some offense, as well.

26. New York Rangers (from Boston): Ryan Merkley, D
Having 3 first round picks, they can afford to take risk with Merkley. They took a guy with character issues in Sean Day a few years ago; they do the same here, hoping it pays off.
Comparison: He's extremely boom or bust. If he can start listening to his coaches, work on his attitude and learn to play defense, he can be much like PK Subban, who also fell in his draft year because of defense issues. If not, he could be Anthony DeAngelo 2.0, who has yet to find a solid career in the league.

27. Washington: Jared McIsaac, D
I have the Capitals scooping up falling defenseman, Jared McIsaac. At this slot, McIsaac could be a potential steal, even if he only turns into a shutdown type. Either way, there's tools in his game, which can be brought out if he's developed right.
Comparison: Jaccob Slavin. Good size, skating ability and a range of tools that could potentially turn him into a two-way defender.

28. Ottawa (from Pittsburgh): Mattias Samuelsson, D
With great size and two-way prowess, it might make sense for the Sens to draft him, especially if they're on a rebuild. He's kind of a "safe" pick, making sure they walk away with another prospect from the draft and has potential to be a top 4.
Comparison: I liken him to a Mattias Ekholm. Big size and long stick that can strip pucks away, along with shutdown ability and a big, hard point shot to keep opponent's honest.

29. Detroit (from Vegas): Akil Thomas, C/LW
Often described as a "buzzsaw", he'd interest the Wings, who often like drafting out of the OHL. I think they'd like to add more center depth, so it'd make a nice addition, liking his ability to make plays and add offense.
Comparison: Nazem Kadri.

30. New York Rangers (from Tampa Bay): Jacob Olofsson, C
The Rangers to Sweden to draft the two-way center, giving them more depth down the middle. Like Lias Andersson last year, he's considered a "safe" pick, wanting to rebuild their roster that's been broken down and traded away.
Comparison: Derrick Brassard. Speedy with some two-way ability, he's likely to become a middle 6 center.

31. Chicago (from Nashville): Rasmus Sandin, D
He's one of my personal favorites from the draft, having improved his game so much to get him into the first round. Even though his foot speed still needs work, he plays a smart, offensive, well-posiitioned game, which would be a good add to the Blackhawks, who'll need bodies to take over from Duncan Keith in a few years.
Comparison: In my opinion, I think he can be similar to Andrei Markov. Both of them not having the best size or skating ability, but used their smarts and ability to move the pucks to excel.

Round 2
================

32. Florida (from Arizona): Vitali Kravtsov, RW
They have some room on their right wing side to add some depth. The Russian factor barely drops him out of the 1st round; with the Panthers being one to jump on him.
Comparison: Evgeny Kuznetsov. Playmaking skill and offense from a Russian-born talent.

33. Buffalo: Jack Drury, C
I have Drury moving quickly up the draft board, even thinking about having him, an Illinois native, go to the Hawks. For now, I'll have the Sabres jump on him. The fact that his uncle, Chris Drury, certainly helps with the fact they'd like him.
Comparison: Paul Stastny. Probably not a top end center; but a guy that can play behind Eichel in a lineup, provide two-way ability and can put up points.

34. Detroit (from Ottawa): Jack McBain, C
They're a team that loves drafting for size. They need depth down the middle; and even though he hasn't blown people away in the OJHL, this would be a good slot to pick him up.
Comparison: Charlie Coyle is probably his top end. With Zack Kassian being his lower end.

35. Vancouver: Jonatan Berggren, C/RW
If the Canucks are building their own mini-Team Sweden, then taking Berggren would be the next best step. He's smaller, but brings plenty of offensive skill.
Comparison: Jaden Schwartz. A pure speedy, offensive forward.

36. Edmonton: Liam Foudy, C/LW
He's been having one hell of a second half of the season, which is going to vault him up the board. Getting their puck mover in the first round, they can jump on a speedy forward such as Foudy, something they desperately need.
Comparison: Andreas Athansiou. Blazing speed that can rush to the net to score goals.

37. Montreal: Ty Dellandrea, C
The Habs are in dire need of center depth. Dellandrea and his rugged, speedy play might have top 6 upside. It's worth a shot.
Comparison: Dylan Larkin. Straight north and south player/center that can cut straight to the net and provide offense and intangibles.

38. New York Rangers: Martin Kaut, RW
They take the Czech forward, hoping he can develop alongside Filip Chytil, one of their first rounders from last year.
Comparison: Justin Williams. A blend of two-way play and skill off the wing.

39. Montreal (from Chicago): Blake McLaughin, LW/C
Once more, the Habs return to the American developmental system to take a player. McLaughlin has first round level of talent and should be getting more love from rankings, in my opinion. Plus he's capable of playing center, although he's likely to become a winger.
Comparison: Joe Pavelski. Not huge in size, but a pure, smart offensive forward that can also bring solid defense.

40. Detroit: Jesse Ylonen, RW
One of the more underrated players in the draft. He'd bring a ton of speed and talent to rebuilding Red Wings organization.
Comparison: Mike Hoffman. Think of an industrious, skilled offensive forward.

41. New York Islanders: Kevin Bahl, D
Even though smaller players are increasingly lighting up the league, teams still go wild over size. A big shutdown defender like Bahl would go early in the 2nd.
Comparison: Nikita Zadorov. Huge in size, physical and can shut the opponents down.

42. Washington (from Florida): Alexander Khovanov, C/LW
Even though he's playing in North America, there's still the Russian factor fear. The Capitals have never really feared that, so they jump on him. Hepatitis is another factor that knocks him into the second.
Comparison: Mikael Granlund. An undersized, playmaking center/winger whose skating is just okay, but can put up points.

43. Carolina: Filip Hallander, C/LW
The Hurricane love their Finns... and they also love their Swedes. He'd be the best player available in this slot, with the 'Canes being all over him.
Comparison: Rickard Rakell. Versatile scoring forward that also plays defense well. May be more of a responsible middle 6 type.

44. New York Islanders (from Calgary): Benoit-Olivier Groulx, LW/C
While I like Groulx, I'm not sure if he has the highest upside, thus my reasoning for placing him in the second round. Around here, he'd be great value, bringing versatility and grit as a third line role.
Comparison: Brandon Dubinsky. Not a big-time scorer. A guy that can do a little bit of everything, including being a leader.

45. Colorado: Jonathan Tychonick, D
Tychonick likely has first round level of talent. However, playing in a lesser league might drop him. Luckily for the Avs, they embrace this, ala their drafting of Makar last year. In fact, Tychonick and Makar on the left and right gives them plenty of options and puck movement ability in moving forward.
Comparison: Nick Leddy. Brings speed and skill from the left side of the blueline.

46. St. Louis: Jacob Bernard-Docker, D
A hard, right-shooting defender that'll likely have teams wondering why he went only in the second round in a few years from now. The Blues would like to work a bit on their blueline with their further picks, having a solid group of forwards in the pipeline.
Comparison: Justin Faulk. A big shooting defender that'll bring offense, some grit and can do a bit of everything, even if it's in a bottom 4 role.

47. Columbus: Cole Fonstad, LW/C
It's more scoring depth for the Blue Jackets, who jump on the undersized, but extremely skilled WHL player. With a fairly steady blueline, they'll look to work on their forwards for their first few picks.
Comparison: Brayden Point. Offense, offense, offense. He brings speed and playmaking skill, even with his lack of size.

48. Anaheim: Alexander Alexeyev, D
The Ducks go for the big Russian defenseman. Their defense has taken a bit of a hit these past few years, so it's time to build that area back up again.
Comparison: Esa Lindell. Solid, two-way defenseman that'll complement an offensive defender quite well.

49. New York Rangers (from New Jersey): Curtis Hall, C/LW
Born in the New York area, it'd make sense for the Rangers to pick him up, especially using the Devils's draft pick. He probably shifts to wing as a pro, but if he makes it, he could be a sizeable depth goal scorer for them.
Comparison: At top end, he's probably an Anders Lee type of player.

50. Los Angeles: Albin Eriksson, LW
Size and speed will always get you drafted highly. The Kings put a lot of faith in their European scouting. Eriksson seems like the type that would go well within their system.
Comparison: Austin Watson. He can be a force, thanks to his big size and speed. Will his offense translate?

51. Dallas: Ryan O'Reilly, RW
With the draft in Dallas, they just have to draft the Texas-born sniper. They go for it now; because I could see a team jumping him before their turn in the 3rd round.
Comparison: Connor Brown. Likely a middle 6 scoring winger that can use his great shot to put pucks in the net.

52. Philadelphia: Calen Addison, D
They take the best right-shooting defenseman available. His lack of size knocks him down the board of the second round; but it's good value.
Comparison: Ty Barrie. An undersized, puck-moving defenseman that can make plays and work a powerplay.

53. Toronto (from San Jose): Allan McShane, C
His lack of foot speed might halt him from going high. The Leafs need center depth, so he'd be a nice pickup for this location, in my opinion. He wouldn't have to be a number 1 guy, so they can let him develop for a while.
Comparison: Ryan O'Reilly. A two-way, industrious center that can do a bit of everything -- from playmaking, play against tough competition, and so on.

54. Arizona (from Minnesota): Jake Wise, C
His lack of size knocks him down the draft board. The Coyotes depth down the middle is worrisome, so they pick him up, hoping he can use his smarts, two-way play and overall skill to develop into a top 9 center.
Comparison: Vincent Trochek. Small in stature and blessed with bursting speed, he's probably more of a playmaker than Trochek... but he can play well at both ends of the ice.

55. Winnipeg: David Gustafsson, C
He has good size, which the Jets love to draft. He's also looked good as of late, playing like a first round candidate. It gives them depth down the middle.
Comparison: Victor Rask. Not a great skater; but he has size and scoring talent.

56. Montreal (from Toronto): Phillip Kurashev, C/RW
Playing in the Q, they can develop him locally and keep a close eye on him. He can play a role as a pure center, filling a need for the rebuilding Habs.
Comparison: Marcus Johansson. I view him as a smart, skilled, two-way player that can play center or wing, likely becoming a nice middle 6 addition.

57. Boston: Jay O'Brien, C
The Bruins love taking Americans... and he's a local player to boot. He might be going under-viewed, but all reports are that he's a responsible, two-way center that can win faceoffs, along with having a helluva wrister. It might be a good pickup for them.
Comparison: Adrian Kempe. Likely a 2nd/3rd line center with good defensive play, along with speed and a strong enough shot to score himself some goals.

58. Montreal (from Washington): Xavier Bernard, D
The Habs go with a Quebecois defender for their final pick of the second round. They need size and depth on the left-hand side of defense and he gives them exactly that.
Comparison: Jeff Petry. He mixes puck movement, size and scoring ability in one nice package.

59. Pittsburgh: Cam Hillis, C
If he's still somehow still on the board, the Pens would have to draft him. It'd give them some speedy and playmaking skill down the middle. Allowing him to play behind Crosby and Malkin would give him plenty of developmental time.
Comparison: Christian Dvorak. Similar to Dvorak, who also fell and also brings a similar skillset.

60. Vegas: Sampo Ranta, RW/LW
After trading away their first rounder, they hope to land a goal scoring winger that could gel well with Cody Glass, Nick Suzuki and company. His blazing speed alone could make him a valuable 3rd line, at least.
Comparison: Brendan Perlini. A big, power skating winger that can drive down off the rush and score goals.

61. Tampa Bay: Ruslan Ishakhov, LW/RW
An extremely offensive Russian undersized forward going to the Lightning. Tell me if you've heard this one before. ;]. Even though he's only 5'7", I could definitely see a team such as the Bolts loving him. It's probably worth the risk.
Comparison: Johnny Gaudreau. Short in stature; but huge in skill level.

62. Colorado (from Nashville): Tyler Madden, C/RW
After some of the battles the Avs had against John Madden and the Devils, it's a weird turnaround to see his son drafted by Colorado. If they'd take him, they'd appreciate his skill level.
Comparison: Max Domi. Different level of skill than his father; Tyler Madden's a stickhandling wizard, albeit with smaller size.

Round 3
================

63. Arizona: Jakub Skarek, G
The first goalie is finally off the board! We go 2 rounds with a single goalie chosen, until the Coyotes step up and take the best available, needing to build up that area.
Comparison: Connor Hellebuyck.

64. Minnesota (from Buffalo): Milos Roman, C
Injuries might drop him into the third. It'd be for the Wild's gain, though; as he could become a solid 2-way prospect.
Comparison: Vladislav Namestnikov.

65. Pittsburgh (from Ottawa): Slava Demin, D
Playing in a lesser league might keep him out of the top 60. The Penguins could take him to build up their blueline.
Comparison: Markus Nutivaraa.

66. Vancouver: Kyle Topping, C
Last year, they drafted Kole Lind and it's looked like a steal. They then reunite him with his center from Kelowna, Kyle Topping.
Comparison: Ondrej Palat.

67. Edmonton: Aidan Dudas, LW
Despite his lack of size, he's the type of never-stop competing type of forward the Oilers need to add to their lineup. He could slot in anywhere, whether it's with McDavid, Draisaitl or RNH as his center and it'd also give them depth on the left.
Comparison: Brendan Gallagher.

68. Montreal: Nathan Dunkley, C/LW
If he's even still inexplicably here at this point, the Habs would have to take him. This means the Habs would walk out with Wahlstrom, Dellandrea, McLaughlin, Kurashev, Bernard and now Dunkley as their first 6 draft choices. They'd still have 4 more to go that they could use to take take a few risks on, or draft a few more defensemen.
Comparison: JT Compher.

69. New York Rangers: Niklas Nordgren, RW
His size makes him questionable... but you can't doubt the offensive skill he's been displaying this season. A nice pickup in the third round for the Rangers, if he's still there.
Comparison: Jonathan Marchessault is his likely upside.

70. Chicago: Jack Randl, LW
A skilled forward from Illinois that's fallen under the radar. It could be a smart pickup.
Comparison: Kris Versteeg.

71. Detroit: Axel Andersson, D
The Wings trust in their European scouting, thinking they have a solid pickup here. He's the prototypical type of modern day NHL defenseman.
Comparison: Nate Schmidt.

72. New York Islanders: Blade Jenkins, RW/C
Consistency and skating are the big issues here. If he can find a way to put it together, he could become a solid top 9 guy.
Comparison: Brandon Saad.

73. Boston (from Florida): Tyler Weiss, LW/RW
It's another pick from the American developmental systems. His speed is dynamic and good enough to make him at least a third line disruptor.
Comparison: Bryan Rust.

74. Carolina: Alec Regula, D
Having just missed out on local kid, Tyler Weiss, they instead decide to go for the big defenseman, Alec Regula. He fits the M.O. for Ron Francis's scouting of defenders: big, American guys that can skate fairly well.
Comparison: Jake Dotchin.

75. Arizona (from Calgary): Sean Durzi, D
After being passed over last year, he's worked on his game and now hopes his offensive ability can find him a spot in the NHL.
Comparison: Brandon Montour.

76. Colorado: Kirill Marchenko, RW/C
He had a coming out period during the Five Nations tournament. I think it might have been enough to make him a riser, putting him into the third round.
Comparison: Chris Kreider.

77. St. Louis: Filip Kral, D
Like their previous pick, it's a move to boost their defensive depth. Kral's the type of player that can keep the puck out of his own zone, which would be something the Blues would love to add.
Comparison: Andrej Sekera.

78. Columbus: Giovanni Vallati, D
This pick gives the Blue Jackets more depth on their blueline. It gives them more options going forward if they wish to trade a defender for some help up front.
Comparison: Michael Matheson.

79. Anaheim: Nando Eggenberger, LW
If they're lucky, he becomes a decent complementary type of winger if he makes it. He's been dropping in the rankings, with the Ducks hoping to capitalize.
Comparison: Jamie McGinn.

80. Anaheim (from New Jersey): Filip Johansson, D
An offensive, puck mover to the Ducks to help keep their blueline strong. He has the potential to be drafted even higher.
Comparison: Colin Miller.

81. Los Angeles: Luka Burzan, LW/C
They go for a speedy, energetic center/winger, which is the style of game they want to build upon. He could be the type whose stock increases after being drafted.
Comparison: Cody Eakin.

82. Dallas: Adam Ginning, D
With his size and strength, it gives the Stars more depth on the backend. I know they're well-stacked back there, it just gives them more to work with.
Comparison: Joel Edmundsson.

83. Philadelphia: Jacob Ragnarsson, D
It's another boost to the Flyers backend. His father spent a short time with the Flyers, so it might be a nice pickup as a smart, puck-moving defender.
Comparison: Paul Martin.

84. Toronto (from San Jose): Kody Clark, RW
Drafting Wendel's son just seems like a great addition. They need some grit to play in their top 9; he could be their guy.
Comparison: Justin Abdelkader.

85. Minnesota: Justus Annunnen, G
The big, Finnish goaltender could be an ideal pickup for the Wild. Their current goaltender depth is not exactly overflowing, so it'd be a good start.
Comparison: Pekka Rinne.

86. Winnipeg: Curtis Douglas, C
Everyone knows the Jets love size... why not go with the biggest player in the draft? 6'8" centers don't come around often. They may as well test their luck with him. With size still being such a premium, I wouldn't count out him being drafted in the second round.
Comparison: Nick Bjugstad.

87. Chicago (from Toronto): Riley Stotts, C
They need some centers in their system. Stotts is one of the better guys on the board, so they take him, hoping he can turn into a useful center for them.
Comparison: Tyler Bozak.

88. New York Rangers (from Boston): Ty Emberson, D
With his ability to skate with the puck, he might be able to become at least a bottom pairing defender that can build a long career. Either way, it's more defensive depth for the Rangers.
Comparison: Ron Hainsey.

89. Washington: Danila Zhuravlyov, D
The Capitals go back and take another Russian. He might slip in the draft, solely because of the Russian factor. The Caps pay to mind and are happy to take him, thinking he has top 4 upside.
Comparison: Kevin Shattenkirk.

90. Detroit (from Pittsburgh): Amir Miftakhov, G
The Red Wings need some goalies in their system. The best one left on the board, in my opinion, would be Miftakhov, who is playing out of Russia. Give him some developmental time and let's see what he turns in to.
Comparison: Jaroslav Halak.

91. Minnesota (from Vegas: Scott Perunovich, D
He's been passed-over, but they hope his extra development can lead to him becoming a player sooner than later. He's kind of similar to their own Jared Spurgeon, in that his size is small and his skill is immense.
Comparison: Jared Spurgeon.

92. Tampa Bay: Martin Fehervary, D
He should offset the loss of Libor Hajek in their system. He has potential to at least be a bottom pairing guy with some two-way skill and physicality.
Comparison: Jake McCabe.

93. Nashville: Anderson MacDonald, LW
Thanks to cold streaks, he's a faller. He should still be taken in the first 3 rounds, though. The Preds might take a flyer on him, beefing up their left wing. At the very least Eeli Tolvanen could potentially bounce pucks off him.
Comparison: Chris Stewart.

----

There's still a lot of good talent left on the board, too. In the 4th round, I'd expect guys such as Riley Damiani, Alex Steeves, Jan Jenik, Matej Pekar, Michael Callahan, Liam Kirk, Linus Nyman, Jackson Leppard, Samuel Fagemo, Nico Gross, Riley Sutter, Jachym Kondelik, Bulat Shafigullin, Ivan Morozov, etc. to drop around there.
First off great job in doing this,,thats lots of typing and great insite on some guys i have not heard about.So thanks for doing this.....
Love this as a Canucks fan,,praying for #1,,but we will get screwed over again...

Donuts

Nov 7, 2014
if this becomes a reality
oh man, watch for the rise of the canucks in 2 years.

add dahlin to canucks' new core consisting of boeser, horvat, pettersson, gaudette, juolevi, dahlen, lind and goaltending duo of demko/dipietro.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad