NHL Entry Draft: Mock Draft for April -- 4 Rounds

newdimension

May 18, 2013
Another month, another mock draft. I'm basing my draft ranking on my predicted post-playoffs standings. In the East, I have Boston beating out Pittsburgh. In the West, I have Nashville coming out on top over Los Angeles, who make another attempted surge, but the Preds are too strong. In the Finals, I predict Nashville beats Boston to win the Cup and pick last in the draft.

As for everything else, all comparisons are my own. Obviously, not everyone is going to go on and become the same type of player to my comparables -- that would be completely and utterly asinine. I'm not a scout or anything, obviously; it's all for fun.

Oh yeah, as for the lottery, using Tankathon, I got the following:

1. Detroit
2. New York Rangers
3. Ottawa

I'm going to do 4 rounds. I add one round per month, until a final full mock in June. I think I have the ranking correct, along with the owners of picks. If not, uhhh, well... oops! :)

======
Round 1
======

1. Detroit: Rasmus Dahlin, D
The easiest pick of the draft. He's the consensus number 1 and a future stud defenseman. I'm not saying he's the next Lidstrom, in fact, he's even better--... kidding, of course. That said, he is deserving of his hype: now can he live up to it? That'd be the question for him. It gives them a solid LHD for years to come and he should have a Doughty-like impact for years to come, if all things work out.
Comparison: Even though he's quite the unique player, he sort of reminds me of Scott Niedermayer when he was at his best. By that I mean he can lead the play, brings dynamic skating, two-way play and can even drop a few hits.

2. New York Rangers: Andrei Svechnikov, RW
The Rangers would think he's the crown jewel to their rebuild, feeling he'd go well with young guys such as Chytil and Andersson. Plus, with the rumors of Kovalchuk wanting to join the Rangers this off-season, it could be a nice combo add, with Kovy being his mentor. It'd be another huge kickstart to their rebuild.
Comparison: Ilya Kovalchuk, but with more speed. I think he has the potential to be an elite winger that regularly finishes top 10 in scoring.

3. Ottawa: Filip Zadina, LW
I heavily considered Ottawa taking Noah Dobson here because of their need for depth on the right hand of defense. However, in the long run, I think they'd take Zadina in the end. I think it'd be between those 2 at third overall, considering Ottawa's targeting of players playing in Maritimes as of late. Zadina would give them an added boost on the wings and maybe they could dangle Mike Hoffman for defensive help.
Comparison: I think of him as a Filip Forsberg/Tomas Vanek type of scorer. Wingers that can, or in Vanek's case, used to drive their lines.

4. Buffalo: Adam Boqvist, D
After years of taking forwards despite needing defense, they finally settle on a defenseman. Overall this season, he had a rocky year, but his upside and potential is huge. He skates well, gets his shots on net and has good IQ. With the Sabres scouting hard in Sweden lately, I think they'd be way in to his ability and can't let him slip.
Comparison: His upside is that of an Erik Karlsson, a mobile defenseman with excellent shooting ability and #1 upside.

5. Arizona: Brady Tkachuk, LW/RW
I know he's fallen for some... but there are way too many pieces that tie him to Arizona. From his dad playing there and Arizona loving players with good bloodlines, it seems like a great fit. They also love their American forwards and I believe they'd feel he can be a leader and open up space for smaller guys such as Clayton Keller and Max Domi.
Comparison: Scott Hartnell is probably his upside. Basically, a power winger that can crash the net, go to the rough areas of the ice, grind it out and play a big, "tough" style of game.

6. Montreal: Quinn Hughes, D
The Habs love taking players with an upward trajectory, which Hughes has been hitting. Despite his slight size, he brings the high skill game from the backend that they've been missing since they had PK Subban. To add to all of that, he's a left-handed defender and is developing in American collegiate systems, which the Habs also seem to love.
Comparison: He's another unique player in that he's a smaller offensive, skilled defenseman with bursting speed. I'd liken him to a Mat Barzal, if Barzal was a defenseman.. if that makes sense. However, if I had to make a positional comparison, maybe a Brian Rafalski or Dan Boyle.

7. Vancouver: Evan Bouchard, D
In this scenario, the Canucks again get screwed by the draft. They'll instead settle on taking Bouchard, who has history playing with Juolevi and could make a good tandem, with Bouchard focusing on offense and Juolevi on defense. He's shown he can play plenty of minutes and put up record numbers this year.
Comparison: John Carlson. Likely not an elite type of defenseman... a guy that can get a bevy of shots on net, man the point on the powerplay and can be highly dependable.

8. Chicago: Noah Dobson, D
After taking Henri Jokiharju last year, they shore up their right side of defense quite well. They'd feel he can be an excellent two-way defenseman that can do a bit of everything. With Keith and Seabrook regressing badly this year, making sure their depth on defense is built up is important.

9. Edmonton: Ty Smith, D
The Oilers desperately need puck movers from the back in order to get the puck out to Connor McDavid and company. Ty Smith plays with Kailer Yamamoto, whom they drafted last year. Even though he's undersized, he could be highly coveted by them, playing an excellent, speedy two-way game.
Comparison: Brian Campbell -- undersized, but extremely mobile, smart skating defenseman that can also be a leader on and off the ice.

10. New York Islanders: Oliver Wahlstrom, RW
The Isles once against possibly walk away with the steal of the draft, considering he could go anywhere from #3-10. They figure he could be a good guy to play alongside Mat Barzal, with Barzal able to carry the puck, being Wahlstrom's setup man. Together, they could combine for plenty of offense, with the Islanders going for best player overall. He might get knocked down the board for choosing to go to Harvard next year, which could scare some teams off.
Comparison: Vladimir Tarasenko. His speed, vision, hands and deadly shot make him an absolutely lethal offensive dynamo.

11. Carolina: Jesperi Kotkaniemi, C/RW
They've shown a liking towards talented Finns and he's ripe for the taking. He'd also give them size down the middle, with his ability to play center. He likely ticks a lot of boxes for them.
Comparison: Sean Monahan. A two-way center that play well at both ends of the ice, along with having some scoring skill.

12. New York Islanders (from Calgary): Bode Wilde, D
The Islanders need defensive help. This is step one in improving that area. He seems like an Isles-type of pick, too. He's big, can create a lot of offense from the back, but still needs some work. Lots of upside, though.
Comparison: Rasmus Ristolainen. His size enables him to be a mobile, offensive defenseman that can can eat up plenty of minutes.

13. Dallas: Joseph Veleno, C
The Stars clearly need a #2 center. That seems like Veleno's upside, which makes him a quality pickup for the Stars. He wouldn't have to be a number 1 guy, thanks to Tyler Seguin; he could focus on playing behind him, bringing both offense and his two-way play.
Comparison: Ryan Nugent-Hopkins. He's more of a safe, two-way, speedy center that can make plays and setup his bigger, goal scoring forwards.

14. Philadelphia (from St. Louis): Barrett Hayton, C
They already have excellent depth on center... so may as well add to it. We've all seen that teams with deep talent pools down the middle are known to succeed, so they jump on that bandwagon. He plays with last year's first rounder, Morgan Frost, fully hoping that their chemistry can continue into the pros.
Comparison: Bryan Little. More of a two-way center with good smarts than a true offensive force. He can do a lot of the little things well and brings a well-rounded game.

15. Florida: Akil Thomas, C/RW
He was originally born in Florida, making it a nice local pickup for the team -- something that can market around. He's had a fantastic playoffs, allowing him to make the jump up the board. Whether he's a center or a winger, it adds depth to the Panthers, something they need, especially knowing they won't be signing Adam Mascherin.
Comparison: Jaden Schwartz. He can make plays, buzz around and play a solid two-way game, bringing plenty of versatility.

16. Colorado: Joel Farabee, LW
They're unable to resist drafting him if he's still on the board. His high-IQ, high-tempo, energetic, two-way game would be a perfect fit for them. He'd had top 6 upside and could play alongside MacKinnon and Rantanen sooner than later.
Comparison: Zach Parise. For me, he reminds me of a younger Parise, who brought both a skill and grinding game.

17. New Jersey: Nils Lundkvist, D
Their forwards are pretty well set... but they need defensive depth pretty badly. The Devils love their Swedes and he's been rocketing up the board, displaying great skating, smarts and two-way play.
Comparison: Matt Niskanen. Probably not a huge, high scoring defenseman; but capable enough offensively to move the puck along, shut opponents down and play a calm, smooth, responsible game.

18. Columbus: Jake Wise, C
I think he's going to rise by the time the draft rolls around. Considering Columbus's need for centers -- even with Dubois working out well, so far -- I think they would love to add him. He's not the biggest player, but his offense, two-way skill and ability to play center makes him very attractive.
Comparison: Vincent Trochek. What he lacks in size, he makes up for in skill and ability.

19. Philadelphia: Vitali Kravtsov, RW
The Flyers continue to build their forward depth, taking on the rising Russian forward. His playoffs have been absolutely stellar, which, combined with his size and skill, gets him much more noticed. A team like the Flyers, with their 2 first rounders, can afford to take him on.
Comparison: Jakub Voracek. An offensive, skilled playmaking force from the wing with plenty of speed and talent.

20. San Jose: K'Andre Miller, D
The Sharks are often known to draft talent with size and raw ability. If they want a defenseman, they could zero in on him. I could see them loving the potential he'd bring, even hoping he could develop into the next Brent Burns.
Comparison: Adam Larsson. Big, sizeable defenseman that skates really well, but is also extremely raw and will most likely become a physical, shutdown type.

21. Anaheim: Isac Lundestrom, C
He slips a bit due to teams thinking he might lack offensive upside. He's a "safe" type of two-way center, whose upside is probably as a #2-3 center. That said, there's still huge value in these types of players, since he can play many roles.
Comparison: Mikael Backlund. Not a top tiered center. Moreso a guy that plays a solid, safe two-way game, while simultaneously owning speed and two-way skill.

22. Minnesota: Rasmus Kupari, C/RW
They go with the best player available approach. They have some Finns already on the roster, adding another talented guy would be a nice choice. He's got speed, skills and is even capable of playing center, which adds to his appeal.
Comparison: For me, he's kind of like an inconsistent version of Matt Duchene. Lots of speed that he bases his talent around, but can also face some inconsistencies in his game. Top 6 upside, though.

23. Toronto: Jacob Olofsson, C
Their prospect depth down the middle isn't exactly stellar. They also like drafting out of Sweden, so... yeah. It'd make sense. He wouldn't have to be a #1 type of center, with Matthews as the top guy. As long as he can play his game as a smart, speedy, two-way center, it'd be perfect for the Leafs.
Comparison: Derrick Brassard. Two-way center with good athleticism and two-way smarts that can be a special teams guy and eat up minutes down the middle.

24. St. Louis (from Winnipeg): Martin Kaut, RW
Kaut's been jumping up the draft board ever since his strong World Junior Championship tournament. He falls into the laps of the Blues, who continue to build strength upfront. He might have top 6 upside, giving him a shot wouldn't hurt, especially since he's been a riser.
Comparison: Justin Williams. I don't think he can be a bigtime guy. I see him more as a nice complementary piece that'll do a bit of everything, while making some nice plays and scoring goals.

25. Washington: Jonathan Tychonick, D
Washington needs puck moving defenseman. If he has a good U18 tournament, I could see a team liking Tychonick enough to select him in the first round.
Comparison: Nick Leddy. An undersized, extremely mobile defenseman that can make plays, skate with the puck, etc..

26. Detroit (from Vegas): Grigori Denisenko, LW/RW
The Russian factor, along with fears of inconsistency could have him dropping down into the 20's. At this slot, the Red Wings would be crazy to pass on him, giving them a shot in the arm in terms of offense.
Comparison: Jonathan Drouin. Pure offense, albeit from not the biggest competitor. Maybe sometimes too much of a perimeter style player.

27. New York Rangers (from Tampa Bay): Rasmus Sandin, D
With Tim Gettinger his teammate, they've had a lot of chances to get their eyes on him. They'd definitely enjoy what they'd see, thinking he'd make a nice add to their defense.
Comparison: To me, he's a lot like Andrei Markov. Not the fastest skater, nor the biggest. What he does is play a smart, cerebral game, complete with smart passes and plays, along with the ability to occasionally lay a few hits, as well.

28. Los Angeles: Dominik Bokk, RW
They put plenty of faith in their European scouting. If Bokk's still on the board, they'd definitely push to draft him. They're a team that's still looking to add speed, meaning Bokk's ability to streak through the offensive zone with his great skating would be a nice pick for them.
Comparison: Nikolaj Ehlers. He's a speedy, streaky winger that can use his offensive ability and elite speed to score goals.

29. Ottawa (from Pittsburgh): Serron Noel, RW
With his size and potential, I think it'd be impossible for the Sens to pass on him. They actually take a local area kid with raw potential and size, hoping his upside can come along with it. They love their big guys, so it's worth a shot -- and they often don't come as big as him.
Comparison: Anthony Mantha. Think of him as a big, scoring forward that'll go to the tough areas to try and put goals in the net.

30. New York Rangers (from Boston): Ryan Merkley, D
With 3 first rounders, they can afford to take the risk on Merkley, the offensive right-handed shot. Look, everything's been said about -- from bad attitude, to poor defense and so on. But man, his offensive IQ and ability is elite. If he can work on his issues, he could be an absolute dynamo on defense... and if not, then well, I guess endless bus rides in the AHL would be in his future.
Comparison: He's very boom or bust. He has the upside of a Shayne Gostisbehere or even a PK Subban, especially when PK was first drafted. Or maybe he's Anthony DeAngelo 2.0. It's hard to get an exact read on him due to his various issues.

31. Chicagp (from Nashville): Jack Drury, C
I think some time might go off-the-board and pick him in the first. If any team does that, it could be the Blackhawks. They like local players and they'd enjoy his NHL bloodlines. I believe he could become a solid #2, two-way, hard-working center that can also put up some points.
Comparison: Paul Stastny. As described above, I think he's smart and hard-working enough to make it as a #2 center. Not the fleetest of skaters, but neither is Stastny, with both of them able to use their skills and playmaking ability to put up points.

======
Round 2
======

32. Buffalo: Alexander Alexeyev, D
It's more center depth for the Sabres. I think Alexeyev is teetering on being selected in the first. If not, then he'd be a good bet here.
Comparison: Esa Lindell.

33. Detroit (from Ottawa): Ryan McLeod, C
They like drafting out of the OHL and they like size. Both criteria fit here, with McLeod falling out of the top 30. With his size and great skating ability, the Wings hope they've landed a top 9 center.
Comparison: David Legwand.

34. Florida (from Arizona): Jared McIsaac, D
He's another faller, which the Panthers are happy to scoop off the board. They need defensive depth and he gives them just that. Once thought of as a top 5 pick, his offensive skill hasn't come through, so there's concerns he may top out as a defensive defenseman only.
Comparison: Jaccob Slavin.

35. Montreal: Ty Dellandrea, C
The Habs went to Flint to draft Will Bitten a few years ago. They go back and take Dellandrea, who's put up excellent numbers on a poor team. He ticks their boxes on character and even brings excellent speed and two-way skill, traits they love to pick. Oh, and he's a pure center, which is like gold for them.
Comparison: Dylan Larkin.

36. Detroit: Cam Hillis, C
Again, the Red Wings go back to the OHL, selecting Hillis, hoping to boost their offense at forward and down the middle. They figure he could be a good playmaker for guys such as Mantha, Svechnikov, etc..
Comparison: Christian Dvorak.

37. Vancouver: Filip Hallander, LW/C
Being a teammate of fellow Canucks prospect, Jonathan Dahlen, definitely gets him noticed by them. They'll look for some insta-chemistry with them, hoping it can transition to the league.
Comparison: Rickard Rakell.

38. Montreal (from Chicago): Cole Fonstad, LW
The fact that he isn't the biggest player forces him to drop into the mid-2nd. It means good things for the Habs, who draft a lot out from out west. He'd give them an infusion of skill, something they desperately need.
Comparison: Brayden Point.

39. New York Rangers: Jett Woo, D
It's another depth move for their right side of defense. Earlier, I have them taking Merkley, who is pure offense. This time, I have them taking the more defensive-minded Jett Woo.
Comparison: Francois Beauchemin.

40. Edmonton: Jakub Lauko, LW/C
Like McDavid, he has blazing speed and he could keep up with him, using his good shot to score goals. The Oilers need speed in their lineup and he's a fast player with some grit and scoring ability.
Comparison: Tomas Hertl.

41. New York Islanders: Jack McBain, C
With the risk of John Tavares leaving, it leaves a hole in their center depth. McBain could become a #2/3 guy to play behind Barzal. Of course, there's always a chance he goes higher, since teams love big, 6'3" centers. If he has a nice showing at the U18, he might jump into the top 40. For now, I'll have him go here.
Comparison: Charlie Coyle.

42. Carolina: Benoit-Olivier Groulx, LW/C
They've mentioned how they'd like to make it harder to play against them. BO Groulx's game is exactly that. Likely not a guy that'll be an offensive dynamo; instead he's a guy that'll play tough minutes, hit, block shots, win faceoffs and agitate.
Comparison: Brandon Dubinsky.

43. New York Islanders (from Calgary): Mattias Samuelsson, D
That Hamonic trade just keeps giving for the Islanders as they see Samuelsson still on the board. Many think he'll go in the first round. I'm not so sure. If so, it could be a potential steal for them at this slot, even if he only becomes a shutdown defenseman.
Comparison: Mattias Ekholm.

44. Dallas: Ryan O'Reilly, RW
It'd be too hard for the Stars to pass on this Texan native, in my opinion. Especially with the draft being held in Dallas. It's a good story... and he even fits the mould of "big, strong" that Jim Nill likes to select.
Comparison: Nino Neiderreiter.

45. St. Louis: Calen Addison, D
They'd jump at the chance to take him if he's still on the board. He's the type of new age puck mover that the NHL is gravitating towards. He could bring plenty of offense from the back.
Comparison: Ryan Ellis.

46. Washington (from Florida): Bulat Shafigullin, LW/RW
After putting up impressive numbers in Russia, he jumps into the top 62. The Caps have never really feared the so-called "Russian factor" and it allows them to take a chance on him. If he develops into a top 6 forward, it could be quite a steal.
Comparison: Chris Kreider.

47. Colorado: Nicolas Beaudin, D
The Avs would like a left-shooting defenseman to shore up their depth. He isn't the biggest guy; but his hockey sense is through the roof.
Comparison: Will Butcher.

pb[48. New York Rangers (from New Jersey):[/b] Jonatan Berggren, RW/C
The Rangers jump back to Sweden, taking the speedy forward with good, first-round level of talent. I think he'll only drop due to lack of size.
Comparison: Kevin Fiala.

49. Columbus: Allan McShane, C
It's another center for the Blue Jackets to work with. Like their previous pick, they'll want to build up certain depth down the middle and this will give them that opportunity, hoping he might battle for a #2 slot. As often reported, his skating needs work, but the Jackets can surround him with plenty of skilled forwards to work with.
Comparison: David Krejci.

50. Philadelphia: Jacob Bernard-Docker, D
It honestly wouldn't surprise me if people looked back in a few years and wonder how in the hell he went in the second. He's the type of defenseman that'll really grow in his coming years, once he gains more exposure.
Comparison: Justin Faulk.

51. Toronto (from San Jose): Alec Regula, D
The Leafs have many connections with the London Knights. Along with that, they have a need for defenders on the right side. He has plenty of potential, so they'll think he's worth the risk.
Comparison: Connor Murphy.

52. Anaheim: Slava Demin, D
The Ducks go with a California boy to boost their defense depth. Their defense has taken a bit of a hit the past few years; they'll want to boost this up. He could become a decent, two-way mobile guy that keeps things nice and simple.
Comparison: Mark Pysyk.

53. Arizona (from Minnesota): Blake McLaughlin, LW
The Coyotes need depth on their wing. McLaughlin is actually a guy that I have very high on my own personal list; but I could see him slipping due to others teams wanting other players.
Comparison: Sebastian Aho.

54. Montreal (from Toronto): Liam Foudy, C/RW
The Habs love risers, which Foudy is after steadily climbing the board with excellent play since January. They've also gone on record stating that they want to add more speed, with Foudy quite possibly being the fastest guy in the draft. It certainly helps that he can play center, as well. There's a London connection with Mete... and not to mention they love athletic players.
Comparison: Mikkel Boedker.

55. Winnipeg: Jay O'Brien, C
The Jets do an impressive amount of scouting in the American developmental systems. He's a guy that's being underrated due to lack of available footage and playing in a lesser system. Word is that he's a good pure, two-way center with decent upside. I can't see them passing on him if he's still there.
Comparison: Adrian Kempe.

56. Montreal (from Washington): Kyle Topping, C
Once more, the Canadiens go out west looking for a center. They love taking western Canadian boys and I feel Topping's getting underrated in this draft. He'd be another BC kid that joins the Habs, which seems to be a common theme these days.
Comparison: Derek Stepan.

57. Vegas: Albin Eriksson, LW/RW
The head scout of Vegas love their big players. Thanks to his good playoffs, Eriksson might be a late riser, giving them even more reason to take him.
Comparison: Kevin Hayes.

58. Tampa Bay: Milos Roman, C
He's a similar kind of player to a guy they just traded away, Vladislav Namestnikov. He can do a bit of everything, brings good playmaking skill and plays well defensively. They'd take him to help recoup on their loss.
Comparison: Vladislav Namestnikov.

59. Los Angeles: Axel Andersson, D
Similar with their first pick, they weigh their options heavily on their European scouting. I'm thinking they'd like to add a puck moving defenseman to help maintain depth and he's played pretty well, finding himself in contention for a 2nd rounder. It seems like a good fit.
Comparison: Nate Schmidt.

60. Pittsburgh: Jesse Ylonen, RW
They can't believe he's still here. He's a skilled forward that's possibly being underwatched. The Pens keep their team afloat with smart drafting, it'd be optimal for them to hope on him while he's available.
Comparison: Ales Hemsky.

61. Boston: Tyler Madden, C/RW
The son of former NHL'er, John Madden, they'll be able to watch him develop nearby. He can be a feisty, undersized offensive player. They love taking players developing in American systems. It'd seem like an easy pick.

62. Colorado (from Nashville): Jakub Skarek, G
They need more high-end goalies in their system. In doing so, they finally take the first one off the board, using their final pick of the 2nd round to pick him up. His size alone gives him starter upside, so they'll hope he can develop into a capable starter.
Comparison: Frederik Andersen.

======
Round 3
======

63. Minnesota (from Buffalo): Scott Perunovich, D
He surprisingly becomes the first overage player taken. Even though he's not the biggest, his development this season has been through the roof. Plus it helps to it's a hometown team.
Comparison: Jared Spurgeon.

64. Pittsburgh (from Ottawa): Xavier Bernard, D
They like their defenseman that are developing in the Q. As such, they take on Bernard, who has a vast array of skills and good size. They'll hope he can develop into something useful as a special teams + powerplay guy.
Comparison: Jeff Petry.

65. Arizona: David Gustafsson, C
Even if he only develops into a third line center, it's still a smart pickup. He may actually go higher, since his end-of-season was incredibly strong. Either way, having strong depth down the middle is important.
Comparison: Victor Rask.

66. Montreal: Phillip Kurashev, C/LW
If this Swiss-Russian important is still there, they'd jump for joy. He can play center and he owns good speed, making him a valuable two-way option. They could either let him develop into the Q; or allow him to go back to play in the Swiss leagues, giving them plenty of time to work on becoming something.
Comparison: Ondrej Palat.

67. Detroit: Blade Jenkins, LW/C
They scoop the big local kid off the draft board. He was once highly touted, failing to meet the expectations. Maybe if he works on his skating, he could become a big, hard to play against forward that can provide some offense and two-way play.
Comparison: Boone Jenner.

68. Vancouver: Sean Durzi, D
They add another offensive powerplay type of guy to their right side of defense. They like overagers, giving them plenty of firepower from the backend.
Comparison: Brandon Montour.

69. Chicago: Riley Damiani, C/RW
In my opinion, his style of play is something that the Blackhawks would love. They could view him as the type of sparkplug, two-way forward that'll do all the little things to help win games.
Comparison: Vladimir Sobotka.

70. New York Rangers: Curtis Hall, C
Born across the pond, he's a Rangers style of forward. He's big in size and has potential. He just needs to work on things such as his own hands and overall vision, hoping he can become a middle 6 type of forward.
Comparison: Brock Nelson.

71. Edmonton: Sampo Ranta, LW
A big, speedy goal scoring winger to the Oils. It gives them more depth upfront, along with more offensive options.
Comparison: Brendan Perlini.

72. New York Islanders: Nico Gross, D
Straight up, it's more depth for their blueline. He could become a decent puck mover for them, needing to strengthen that area asap. He's a fast puck mover, can check well and is the modern style of puck-moving defenseman.
Comparison: Michael del Zotto.

73. Carolina: Ty Emberson, D
They have a solid group of defenders currently, I know. However, maintaining good depth is always key. He's the type of defenseman that does a little bit of everything and doesn't stand out in any one way. He'd be a good depth option.
Comparison: Ron Hainsey.

74. Arizona (from Calgary): Alexander Khovanov, C/LW
Some think of him as first round talent. Personally, I think he's going to drop. It might pay off for the Coyotes, though; especially if he comes back fully healthy next year, with a complete training camp under his belt. His potential is high, though.
Comparison: Sam Gagner.

75. Dallas: Kevin Bahl, D
They grab the big, shutdown defenseman. He may go even higher by the time the draft rolls around -- remember: teams still love size. That said, for my draft, I'll have him go here. Knowing that the Stars are one of the teams that still love size, he seems like their type of guy.
Comparison: Nikita Zadorov.

76. St. Louis: Jordan Harris, D
A defenseman developing in the American system just seems like a Blues-type of pick. His ability to skate with the puck on his stick makes him the perfect kind of modern day defenseman and the Blues will want to stock up on this.
Comparison: Vince Dunn.

77. Boston (from Florida): Alex Steeves, LW/RW
It's another collegiate player to the Bruins. They love targeting these types. Steeves has been jumping up the board, having a strong season. He isn't the biggest guy... but I think he has pro potential.
Comparison: Jake Guentzel.

78. Colorado: Danila Galenyuk, D
The Avs have no major issues in going to Russia. In doing so, they grab Danila Galenyuk, a defenseman with nice size and two-way ability. He's looked good in an international level and adds more depth to their left side of the ice.
Comparison: Nikita Zaitsev.

79. Anaheim (from New Jersey): Jan Jenik, LW
As a smart, two-way player, the Ducks would love to grab him. The Czech winger has good size and skill, possibly giving him middle 6 upside.
Comparison: Jakub Silfverberg.

80. Columbus: Filip Johansson, D
The Jackets grab a defender, giving a boost to that position. He's looked pretty good this year and may even go higher in the draft. If he's still here at #80, he'd make a good addition.
Comparison: Colin Miller.

81. Philadelphia: Jacob Ragnarsson, D
There are bloodline ties to the Flyers, with his father spending some time with the club. He's done well this season and looked good as a mobile, safe defender.
Comparison: Markus Nutivaraa.

82. Toronto (from San Jose): Kirill Marchenko, RW
The Leafs shoot for the stars by taking this big Russian winger with huge offensive upside. The dreaded Russian factor pushes him down the board; but at this slot, they'd run away, believing they have a steal on their hands.
Comparison: Andre Burakovsky.

83. Anaheim: Curtis Douglas, C
Teams love size and he's a 6'8" giant on the ice that's also putting up nice under lying numbers. Even if he turns into a depth forward, it'd still be a positive for the Ducks, who are one of those teams that still love size.
Comparison: Nick Bjugstad.

84. Minnesota: Jachym Kondelik, C
Speaking of size, here's another big kid. He's looked good since returning from injury and the Wild are one of those teams that often draft out of American systems. It'd give them more size and depth down the middle.
Comparison: Brian Boyle.

85. Chicago (from Toronto): Semyon Der-Arguchintsev, C
I don't see a team like Chicago have problems with lack of size. In fact, they often favorite talent over size. In this instance, Arguchintsev is one of the "younger" players in the draft and has shown really good playmaking ability. If they can give him time to grow and develop, he might have top 6 upside. It's worth a shot.
Comparison: Jiri Hudler.

86. Winnipeg: Anderson MacDonald, LW
Inconsistency and poor skating might drop him, but he has excellent size to be a power winger at the NHL level. The Jets like their players to have size. They'll take the risk.
Comparison: Chris Stewart.

87. Washington: Liam Kirk, LW
A few years ago, they took Nathan Walker off the board quite early. I think they do the same here, especially if they really like Kirk, who's done nothing but score goals -- albeit in a much lesser league. He has excellent size, which could help him become an NHL regular.
Comparison: Loui Eriksson.

88. Minnesota (from Vegas): Justus Annunnen, G
The Wild take their perceived best goalie available. They need more depth back there. He definitely has the size and has shown excellent ability to possibly be a starter.
Comparison: Pekka Rinne.

89. Tampa Bay: Ruslan Iskhakov, RW
Woefully undersized and Russian? Screams a Tampa Bay pick to me. They take him here and make everyone else regret it years down the line. If he makes it, of course.
Comparison: Johnny Gaudreau.

90. Los Angeles: Nathan Dunkley, C
It seems like a good fit for the Kings. A type of guy that could be a warrior for them and would fit into their system quite well.
Comparison: JT Compher.

91. Detroit (from Pittsburgh): Nando Eggenberger, LW
The Wings add to their forward depth, going for the Swiss winger. Not sure if he can be a bigtime contributor, but he should be able to crash, bang and be a nice depth addition with good size.
Comparison: Jamie McGinn.

92. New York Rangers (from Boston): Yegor Sokolov, RW
The Rangers beef up their forward depth, adding the big Russian tank. His size alone should allow him to be a depth player, at minimum. He could probably go well as a complementary piece on a skilled line.
Comparison: Patrick Maroon.

93. Nashville: Filip Kral, D
The Preds always take the best picks available, even if they're well-stocked. For now, they'd grab the defender that's put up good analytics and two-way play.
Comparison: Andrej Sekera.

======
Round 3
======

94. Buffalo: Linus Nyman, LW/RW
Passed over last year, he shouldn't expect the same this year. His speed makes him a dangeorus threat and he could be this year's Jesper Bratt.
Comparison: Jesper Bratt.

95. Ottawa: Michael Kesselring, D
They often take players with American bloodlines and play in American systems. With good size and upside, he seems like a stereotypical Senators draft pick.
Comparison: Nick Holden.

96. Arizona: Olivier Rodrigue, G
Absolutely in need of goaltender depth, the Coyotes take whom they feel is the best available. The 4th round is usually where there's a run on goalies, so I'd expect the same here.
Comparison: Brian Elliott.

97. Montreal: Luka Burzan, C/LW
As I said earlier, the Habs love drafted out west. Burzan's looked good in the playoffs, showing off the neverending motor and character that he plays with. I could definitely see the Habs being interested in him, if he's still available.
Comparison: Adam Henrique.

98. Detroit: Cole Krygier, D
The Wings take another homegrown talent, going for the physical defenseman that can hit hard and develop within their area.
Comparison: Brooks Orpik.

99. Vegas [from Vancouver]: Niklas Nordgren, RW
If he was a little taller, he'd probably sniff the 2nd round. Otherwise, it's Vegas that's able to grab him, loving his spitfire offensive upside.
Comparison: Jonathan Marchessault.

100. Dallas (from Chicago): Wyatte Wylie, D
Dallas will want to keep their defense strong. They'd add a puck-moving offensive guy to their mix. He's come along pretty well in the playoffs, which should catch the eye of scouts.
Comparison: Justin Schultz.

101. New York Rangers: Carl Wassenius, C/LW
I'm not sure just how much upside he has; but he's put up some good numbers and seems like he could play a versatile role. He's probably closer to making the jump to the pros, too... making him a nice pickup for the Rangers's depth.
Comparison: Carl Soderberg.

102. Montreal (from Edmonton): Adam Ginning, D
For the fourth round, he could be a nice pickup. He plays on the left side and he'd give them a shutdown defender with excellent size and decent mobility, while guys such as Mete and potentially Quinn Hughes could move the puck. It's worth the risk here.
Comparison: Derek Forbort.

103. New York Islanders: Martin Fehervary, D
It's more depth for their blueline. Optimally, they'd want to walk out of this draft with their blueline prospect status built back up.
Comparison: Jake McCabe.

104. Carolina: Tyler Weiss, LW/RW
As a North Carolina native, it might be a nice draft choice for them. He isn't the biggest, but he has blazing speed that can be chaotic, which makes him valuable in the 4th round.
Comparison: Bryan Rust.

105. Calgary: Riley Sutter, RW
The Flames finally get to pick and they go with a power forward with family history with the team. They'll hope he can be similar to an Anders Lee -- a big scoring winger.
Comparison: Troy Brouwer.

106. Dallas: Linus Karlsson, C
Kind of an off-the-board type of pick. They've gone this route before and they do the same here. Karlsson has some upside to be a goal scorer with decent size.
Comparison: Craig Smith.

107. St. Louis: Logan Hutsko, RW
It wouldn't surprise me if he's high up on several teams lists. Injuries ruined his season last year, thus forcing him to go undrafted. This year, he's had a breakout season that's definitely gotten him noticed.
Comparison: Andrew Cogliano.

108. Calgary (from Florida): Samuel Fagemo, LW/RW
The Flames will want to keep adding more bodies up front. They'll hope his goal scoring ability can translate and he can make it onto the team.
Comparison: Ondrej Kase.

109. Colorado: Matej Pekar, C/RW
I know they like to take some guys that are developing out of American developmental systems. This Czech kid's a playmaking type of forward and is beyond worthy of getting selected around this area. He put up excellent numbers this year, too.
Comparison: Danton Heinen.

110. New Jersey: Danila Zhuryvalov, D
In a continuing effort to boost their blueline, they grab onto this Russian defenseman. He's another guy that's looked good in international tournaments and plays an uptempo-offensive style. They've taken a few Russian defenders in the past; they could do that again.
Comparison: Kevin Shattenkirk.

111. Nashville (from Columbus): Aidan Dudas, LW
If he were 3-4 inches taller, he'd be a first round level talent. Fortunately for the Predators, they're able to jump on another falling talent. Taking a guy that's had a fantastic season in the fourth round is always a win.
Comparison: Tyler Johnson.

112. Detroit (from Philadelphia): Kevin Mandolese, G
They need goaltender depth pretty badly. He can be a calm guy in goal, has good size and has some upside. The Red Wings will hope he can find the ability to be their started of the future.
Comparison: Joonas Korpisalo.

113. San Jose: Matej Blumel, LW/C
They love drafting European... how about a European playing in America? He's came out of nowhere, working his way up to be a draft consideration. Strong on his skates, he might be the type of guy the Sharks like to bet on.
Comparison: Patric Hornqvist.

114. Anaheim: Giovanni Vallati, D
Building up their defense, they draft a guy with good size and raw potential. If he can ever find his game, he might become a decent puck mover with good size.
Comparison: Nathan Beaulieu.

115. Buffalo (from Minnesota): Lukas Dostal, G
A lanky, athletic goalie with standard height. He's put up nice numbers down the stretch. For a team that needs goaltender depth, it'd be a great pickup.
Comparison: Ryan Miller.

116. Toronto: Kody Clark, RW
The Leafs drafting Wendel Clark's son in the middle rounds is just too good to be true. If everything works out right, he could become a sizeable bottom 6 type that can lay out hits, add some offense and make it hard to play against.
Comparison: Justin Abdelkader.

117. Montreal (from Winnipeg): Ivan Morozov, C
If he were North American, he'd be a solid top 62 selection. Alas, he's Russian, so he's likely to drop. I know they don't take too many Russians; but with their dire need for centers, he's another guy to fill that void. It's worth the risk, in my opinion.
Comparison: Antoine Vermette.

118. Washington: Jacob Pivonka, C
His dad played with Washington for many years. To make the circle complete, the take his son, making him a Capital, as well. His offense hasn't developed as much as hoped, although he seems like a smart, two-way type of center that can win faceoffs, skate fast and provides good depth.
Comparison: Dominic Moore.

119. Florida (from Vegas): Amir Miftakhov, G
Their goaltender depth is kind of woesome. Miftakhov, while not the biggest of goalies, is a similar case to Michael Dipietro last year. He's not the biggest, but is incredible athletic and agile. At this slot, they've gotta take him.
Comparison: Jonathan Quick.

120. Tampa Bay: Adam Samuelsson, D
They add a big, shutdown defendenseman to the mix. It's always wise to have depth on your blueline; so they'll hope he can develop into something, even if it's a bottom pairing guy.
Comparison: Andrej Sustr.

121. Los Angeles: Pavel Gogolev, RW
They draft him on his speed and goal scoring ability alone. It gives them depth on wing, along with the hopes that he can develop into a nice complementary winger.
Comparison: Michael Grabner.

122. Vegas (from Pittsburgh): Tyler Tucker, D
It's simply a depth move to pick up some defensive depth. His physicality and play make him a nice depth guy to have.
Comparison: Mark Borowiecki.

123. Boston: Caleb Everett, D
The Bruins want to keep a strong blueline. In this case, they take Everett, who plays more of a two-way game. At the pro level, he probably makes a nice depth option.
Comparison: Danny Dekeyser.

124. Chicago (from Nashville): David Tendeck, G
He's shown vast improvement throughout the year. For a team that needs goalie depth in their system, the Blackhawks would like to scoop him up.
Comparison: Cam Talbot.

Missing the cut: Eric Florchuk; Dmitri Zavgorodniy; Justin Almeida; Gabriel Fortier; Riley Stotts; Tristen Nielsen; Jack Perbix; Brendan Budy; Vladislav Kotkov; etc.

Chuck Downie

Filthy Blonde
Jul 11, 2007
World Traveller
Good effort! I'd be fine with Hayton and Kravtsov for the Flyers but I will be very surprised if they don't take a dman. Just one thing on the draft order - 81 belongs to Detroit and 112 to the Flyers.

Reactions: flyersdad

Toreko

Apr 3, 2018
Thanks for the analysis Brother

http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/67/smakk.png
http://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/46/karge.png

Tatar Shots

Feb 2, 2014
Good effort! I'd be fine with Hayton and Kravtsov for the Flyers but I will be very surprised if they don't take a dman. Just one thing on the draft order - 81 belongs to Detroit and 112 to the Flyers.

Correct, the Ragnarsson pick still works well though as he is the current D partner and cousin to Wings prospect Gustav Lindstrom

Reactions: Chuck Downie

hawkeerox

Jan 2, 2018
Intriguing!
I enjoyed the explanations and comparison at the end of each one - I had to go look up a bunch, hahaha
A couple of observations:

Dobson should go higher then #8.
I think you've oversold Hayton and undersold McBain - I have always thought McBain would drop to the beginning of the second round without a good tournament, but to put him at around #40 with a good tournament seems oddly punitive.
Bouchard will go before Tchachuk, imho.

TLP

Apr 9, 2018
Intriguing!
I enjoyed the explanations and comparison at the end of each one - I had to go look up a bunch, hahaha
A couple of observations:

Dobson should go higher then #8.
I think you've oversold Hayton and undersold McBain - I have always thought McBain would drop to the beginning of the second round without a good tournament, but to put him at around #40 with a good tournament seems oddly punitive.
Bouchard will go before Tchachuk, imho.

I agree on McBain. He showed the type of player he can Ben in olyoffs and given an opportunity should have a strong Worlds. He should be mid 20’s.
Hayton oversold. Noel widely oversold.
Merkley will surprise many.

MasterMatt25

Nov 19, 2014
Montreal
Really well done!

One thing if I may point out, I like Wise as well, but especially if someone like Kupari or Lundestrom is still available, I don't see Columbus taking him

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Good mock, I like the mindset of going hard on defense for the Islanders.

Don't think you did trades, but if Snow is still GM he absolutely uses his picks to trade into the late 1st and pair Wilde with Merkley.

QJL

Jan 2, 2014
I will run a naked lap around my house if the Rangers get Svechnikov, Sandin, Merkley, Berggren, and Woo.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
Great work man, a couple of tweaks on the Habs side maybe but I'd be pretty happy with this especially taking lots of shots at Cs

loadie

Official Beer Taster
Sponsor
Jan 1, 2003
New Brunswick
Thanks so much for all of your hard work on this mock. I don't know much about any players outside of the first round, but your post certainly helps with who's out there and what type of player they might become. Appreciate it.

BTrotts19

May 17, 2013
LI, NY
Isle fan who would be overjoyed with that haul....excellent work and appreciate the effort to give a brief explanation on the kids in rounds 2-4 !!

Mortimer Smith

Jan 8, 2018
I like the game Ty Smith plays and would think he’d be a good option for the Oilers if he were a RHD, but IMO they pick the right handed shooting winger in Wahlstrom, which they need.

Ctrain2k

Dec 3, 2016
If the draft plays out like this the oilers are definitely taking Wahlstrom at 9

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad