OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

Discussion in 'Edmonton Oilers' started by Spawn, Nov 22, 2012.

1. Aceboogie

Aceboogie Registered User

Agreed fully. If the super fight craze continues, next up for me would be Lesner Vs Jones. Would love to see Jones bulk up and face a trimmed down Lesner. A dynamic striker vs freak of nature athlete. Both have steroid issues so not even sure they could fight in the UFC for a while, but could have it under some other set of rules

Id actually have more interest in this super fight then Mayweather/Mcgregor because I think this would be a super close fight

2. joestevens29

joestevens29 Registered User

Canelo vs Golovkin is a true superfight on 9-16-17. Two guys ranked as top 5/10 lb for lb fighters going at it.

I think Lesnar and Jones need to fight in Russia. Let them dope up and go at it. I don't need to hear about them both failing numerous drug tests for years before they can get into the ring.

3. OilDrop37

OilDrop37 Registered User

Home Page:
    Unfortunately he'll come back and demand to defend the belt vs Diaz...who hasn't won a LW fight since Dec 2015.

He needs to add some legitimacy to the division and fight the Ferguson v Lee winner.

4. Spawn

Spawn Registered User

Ignoring the fact that Jones is going to be suspended for like 3 years for getting caught doping again, there is no world in which that fight would be close. Jones would walk through Lesnar like he was absolutely nothing.

Now Jones vs Stipe. That would have been a superfight to see.

It's too bad Jones is such an idiot. He's probably the most talented fighter the UFC has ever seen and he's going to completely blow the last 1/2 of his career.

5. doulos

doulos Registered User

I never claimed it was fixed, but I do think the outcome was certain. Of course it's easy to say that after the fact isn't it? Not sure of what value my statement has now.

6. Ballz

Ballz Registered User

I found the fight a bit more interesting than expected. (low expectations) Some notes on why I felt it was more entertaining than the typical forced spectacle.

It was surprising to see how much of an advantage Mcgregor's extra 2 inch reach played into keeping himself out of danger. Could have snapped that jab on repeat mode.

It also showed how grueling 12 rnds of boxing is as Mcgregor was gassed after 8 and it had little to do with throwing too many punches. Should have never expected an amateur to go for a planned 12. Don't most pro boxers start out at like 6 or 8 rounds?

People are commenting a lot on Mayweather letting the "power puncher" wear himself out a bit during the first 3 rnds, but Mayweather had visibly much more punching power. It was an exhibition of power derived by upper body strength vs full body transfer of energy.

Last note, I couldn't even imagine what those hammer and rabbit punches would feel like with only MMA gloves on. Crazyness lol.

7. Aceboogie

You think? I was a bit more of a Lesnar fan boy in the past so that's coloring my judgment but Lesnar is a beast. If he could get Jones on the ground than he could pound on him.

Though I agree Jones is a great talent and incredible what could have been. 7 years of wasted talent. I still remember watching him as a 23 year old champ (youngest ever I believe), crazy to think he's 30 now. Will be 33 next time he fights

8. Up the Irons

Up the Irons Registered User

this is what I think also. it was entertaining, but, really, Floyd let Connor swing away for 3 rounds. by the forth, all his power was gone.

it was the only scenario that was sellable. if Mayweather had embarrassed MacGregor from the opening bell, then everyone would be calling it the expected farce, and these cross over fights would likely never happen for a long time. so he let the MMAer look just good enough to look legit, but not too good to embarass boxing.

and, in the first few rounds, if a guy is tough, can punch and brave enough to stand in there, he can have some success for a few minutes. Mayweather had to respect MacGregor's power in the early going, which he did.

9. Spawn

Spawn Registered User

I don't think Lesnar could get Jones down and keep him from getting up. Jones is a far more talented wrestler and grappler in MMA than Lesnar. Even with a significant weight disadvantage I just can't see it. And once Lesnar started eating some shots shots from Jones it would be over fast.

10. McCanovin

McCanovin 1% is the new 11.5%

This. At this point in time, Jon Jones is bigger than Cain Levesque when he fought Lesnar at his fighting peak and Cain breezed through Lesnar like it was nothing. Lesnar would definitely lose now that he's over the hill. And it doesn't matter what their pedigree in wrestling and jiu jitsu was. If you don't use it you lose it. Jones will easily pick Lesnar apart to an easy decision.

11. Aceboogie

Here is great indepth recap of the McGregor fight

http://imgur.com/gallery/pcNAV

Im always amazed the level of subtle technicalities in a boxing match, this guy goes into great detail with good examples

12. Spawn

Spawn Registered User

13. GMofOilers

GMofOilers Registered User

Glad I didn't buy tickets, I would of been so choked.

14. McMozesmadness

McMozesmadness 5-14-6-1

So happy I avoided this one.

15. MessierII

MessierII Registered User

16. RipsADrive

RipsADrive Registered User

This is going to be one low selling PPV now...

Very disappointing.

17. Burnt Biscuits

Burnt Biscuits Registered User

The star power of the card took a hit, but it should still be an entertaining card, not many boring fighters on the main card, should see atleast a couple big knockouts with that line-up.

18. joestevens29

It always was going to be a low selling PPV.

Sure glad I didn't buy tickets when my buddy told me he had a deal for me. Told him I'd wait until the day of the fight if I end up going.

19. Gord

Gord Batfink!

smart. going to be a pretty sad event. I can't see how it would now be worth the money.
    at least they're offering refunds.

20. joestevens29

Really? That's pretty good. Weren't the UFC being difficult after the whole PPV fiasco with Macgregor and Floyd?

I really like the UFC and want to go, but from what I read from day 1 was not to buy tickets. This wasn't a card that was going to sell tickets based on who was in it. It was more one of those events that people are going to want to be a part of as it's something new. From what I also read in other Cities that had their first or second card is that people buy all the tickets with the hopes of making money off of them. Recommendation was to wait, especially considering how damn near every card has something fall apart on it.

The funny thing I've noticed lately is a lot of non-mma fans wanting to go out and watch the fight. Seems odd, but I guess it's good for the City bars.

21. trick91

trick91 Registered User

the dos santos fight being cancelled was bigger to me than this fight. I will still go regardless.

22. mullet

mullet Registered User

Anybody know how to get a refund? Been trying to get a hold to ticketmaster all morning with no success. 425/ea is chewy for a subpar fight

23. McCanovin

McCanovin 1% is the new 11.5%

I paid $275 each for the GSP vs Conklin fight and I thought that was expensive.

24. Da McBomb

Da McBomb Registered User

With such a weak card and Hurricane Irma hitting this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being one of the lowest PPV for UFC. What a shame how the events have turned out now in both Calgary and Edmonton. So glad I didn't shell out big money for this crap.

25. oilfansixtynine

oilfansixtynine ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsᴉƃǝɹ

money maker
    I called earlier asking about a refund, rep said he would escalate and I would hear back from them.
    Did get an email from TM an hour ago, I'm sure everyone got the same one. you have to reply with a few details for refund.