OT: MMA General Discussion Thread (UFC, Strikeforce, Belator etc...) Part 2

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
EDIT: Let me say this though. The point for us was to be entertained. Whether what we saw was legitimate boxing, or merely a show where actors were pretending to be something they are not, we were all entertained. So we should be happy about that.

Agreed fully. If the super fight craze continues, next up for me would be Lesner Vs Jones. Would love to see Jones bulk up and face a trimmed down Lesner. A dynamic striker vs freak of nature athlete. Both have steroid issues so not even sure they could fight in the UFC for a while, but could have it under some other set of rules

Id actually have more interest in this super fight then Mayweather/Mcgregor because I think this would be a super close fight

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Agreed fully. If the super fight craze continues, next up for me would be Lesner Vs Jones. Would love to see Jones bulk up and face a trimmed down Lesner. A dynamic striker vs freak of nature athlete. Both have steroid issues so not even sure they could fight in the UFC for a while, but could have it under some other set of rules

Id actually have more interest in this super fight then Mayweather/Mcgregor because I think this would be a super close fight

Canelo vs Golovkin is a true superfight on 9-16-17. Two guys ranked as top 5/10 lb for lb fighters going at it.

I think Lesnar and Jones need to fight in Russia. Let them dope up and go at it. I don't need to hear about them both failing numerous drug tests for years before they can get into the ring.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
Hopefully McGregor gets back to the UFC and starts defending his lightweight belt. He knocked out Aldo two years ago. Spent a year not defending that belt. Won the lightweight title and has spent a year not defending that one either. Two years as a champion (either featherweight or lightweight) and not one title defense.

Unfortunately he'll come back and demand to defend the belt vs Diaz...who hasn't won a LW fight since Dec 2015.

He needs to add some legitimacy to the division and fight the Ferguson v Lee winner.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton

Ignoring the fact that Jones is going to be suspended for like 3 years for getting caught doping again, there is no world in which that fight would be close. Jones would walk through Lesnar like he was absolutely nothing.

Now Jones vs Stipe. That would have been a superfight to see.

It's too bad Jones is such an idiot. He's probably the most talented fighter the UFC has ever seen and he's going to completely blow the last 1/2 of his career.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
The fact that this is even a part of the discussion is why boxing is called fixed and it has lost a lot of its popularity.

I never claimed it was fixed, but I do think the outcome was certain. Of course it's easy to say that after the fact isn't it? Not sure of what value my statement has now.

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
I found the fight a bit more interesting than expected. (low expectations) Some notes on why I felt it was more entertaining than the typical forced spectacle.

It was surprising to see how much of an advantage Mcgregor's extra 2 inch reach played into keeping himself out of danger. Could have snapped that jab on repeat mode.

It also showed how grueling 12 rnds of boxing is as Mcgregor was gassed after 8 and it had little to do with throwing too many punches. Should have never expected an amateur to go for a planned 12. Don't most pro boxers start out at like 6 or 8 rounds?

People are commenting a lot on Mayweather letting the "power puncher" wear himself out a bit during the first 3 rnds, but Mayweather had visibly much more punching power. It was an exhibition of power derived by upper body strength vs full body transfer of energy.

Last note, I couldn't even imagine what those hammer and rabbit punches would feel like with only MMA gloves on. Crazyness lol.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
Ignoring the fact that Jones is going to be suspended for like 3 years for getting caught doping again, there is no world in which that fight would be close. Jones would walk through Lesnar like he was absolutely nothing.

Now Jones vs Stipe. That would have been a superfight to see.

It's too bad Jones is such an idiot. He's probably the most talented fighter the UFC has ever seen and he's going to completely blow the last 1/2 of his career.

You think? I was a bit more of a Lesnar fan boy in the past so that's coloring my judgment but Lesnar is a beast. If he could get Jones on the ground than he could pound on him.

Though I agree Jones is a great talent and incredible what could have been. 7 years of wasted talent. I still remember watching him as a 23 year old champ (youngest ever I believe), crazy to think he's 30 now. Will be 33 next time he fights

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
I enjoyed it. There wasn't really a fight, it was more of a choreographed entertainment night. But that was what we were expecting. The gap between those two guys was even more than I thought it might be. Mayweather basically stood there for three rounds to let the crowd (and McGregor) think McGregor stood any kind of chance, and then slowly ramped it up round over round and when he decided the farce was over he ended it. Performed to perfection by Mayweather.

The only thing that surprises me is that so many people still think it was an actual fight and not a spectacle designed to extract as much money from people as possible.

this is what I think also. it was entertaining, but, really, Floyd let Connor swing away for 3 rounds. by the forth, all his power was gone.

it was the only scenario that was sellable. if Mayweather had embarrassed MacGregor from the opening bell, then everyone would be calling it the expected farce, and these cross over fights would likely never happen for a long time. so he let the MMAer look just good enough to look legit, but not too good to embarass boxing.

and, in the first few rounds, if a guy is tough, can punch and brave enough to stand in there, he can have some success for a few minutes. Mayweather had to respect MacGregor's power in the early going, which he did.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
You think? I was a bit more of a Lesnar fan boy in the past so that's coloring my judgment but Lesnar is a beast. If he could get Jones on the ground than he could pound on him.

Though I agree Jones is a great talent and incredible what could have been. 7 years of wasted talent. I still remember watching him as a 23 year old champ (youngest ever I believe), crazy to think he's 30 now. Will be 33 next time he fights

I don't think Lesnar could get Jones down and keep him from getting up. Jones is a far more talented wrestler and grappler in MMA than Lesnar. Even with a significant weight disadvantage I just can't see it. And once Lesnar started eating some shots shots from Jones it would be over fast.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I don't think Lesnar could get Jones down and keep him from getting up. Jones is a far more talented wrestler and grappler in MMA than Lesnar. Even with a significant weight disadvantage I just can't see it. And once Lesnar started eating some shots shots from Jones it would be over fast.

This. At this point in time, Jon Jones is bigger than Cain Levesque when he fought Lesnar at his fighting peak and Cain breezed through Lesnar like it was nothing. Lesnar would definitely lose now that he's over the hill. And it doesn't matter what their pedigree in wrestling and jiu jitsu was. If you don't use it you lose it. Jones will easily pick Lesnar apart to an easy decision.

Burnt Biscuits

May 2, 2010

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
This is going to be one low selling PPV now...

Very disappointing.

It always was going to be a low selling PPV.

Sure glad I didn't buy tickets when my buddy told me he had a deal for me. Told him I'd wait until the day of the fight if I end up going.

Gord

Oct 9, 2005
Edmonton
It always was going to be a low selling PPV.

Sure glad I didn't buy tickets when my buddy told me he had a deal for me. Told him I'd wait until the day of the fight if I end up going.

smart. going to be a pretty sad event. I can't see how it would now be worth the money.
at least they're offering refunds.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
smart. going to be a pretty sad event. I can't see how it would now be worth the money.
at least they're offering refunds.

Really? That's pretty good. Weren't the UFC being difficult after the whole PPV fiasco with Macgregor and Floyd?

I really like the UFC and want to go, but from what I read from day 1 was not to buy tickets. This wasn't a card that was going to sell tickets based on who was in it. It was more one of those events that people are going to want to be a part of as it's something new. From what I also read in other Cities that had their first or second card is that people buy all the tickets with the hopes of making money off of them. Recommendation was to wait, especially considering how damn near every card has something fall apart on it.

The funny thing I've noticed lately is a lot of non-mma fans wanting to go out and watch the fight. Seems odd, but I guess it's good for the City bars.

trick91

Jun 7, 2012
the dos santos fight being cancelled was bigger to me than this fight. I will still go regardless.

mullet

Aug 2, 2005
Anybody know how to get a refund? Been trying to get a hold to ticketmaster all morning with no success. 425/ea is chewy for a subpar fight

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Anybody know how to get a refund? Been trying to get a hold to ticketmaster all morning with no success. 425/ea is chewy for a subpar fight

I paid $275 each for the GSP vs Conklin fight and I thought that was expensive.

Da McBomb

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 9, 2004
With such a weak card and Hurricane Irma hitting this weekend, I wouldn't be surprised if this ends up being one of the lowest PPV for UFC. What a shame how the events have turned out now in both Calgary and Edmonton. So glad I didn't shell out big money for this crap.

oilfansixtynine

ɹǝsn pǝɹǝʇsᴉƃǝɹ
Jul 9, 2007
over there

I called earlier asking about a refund, rep said he would escalate and I would hear back from them.
Did get an email from TM an hour ago, I'm sure everyone got the same one. you have to reply with a few details for refund.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->