MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
DJ wanted some financial guarantees in case TJ didn't make weight, which the UFC refused to give. Also, if TJ didn't make weight, Borg would replace TJ, which also didn't make DJ happy as he said he wanted to prepare for one guy.

Ultimately, if the UFC really want to convince DJ to fight TJ, they should just pay him extra guarenteed money

To the first point, I mean guys fight all the time where there are other options in place in case of an injury. I don't really see the big deal here.

But yeah, as per usual it comes down to the money.

I do like TJs response, as well:

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/06/ufc-tj-dillashaw-demetrious-johnson-ruin-legacy/amp

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
DJ's chief concern seems to be TJ making weight - which is fair in itself. I just find it weird that he wanted fights with Garbrandt and Borg despite the same obvious weight concerns. So is it a weight concern or not? I think he just wants the easier fight in Borg, and that's my issue. As the champion, fight the best challenger. I don't think that's Ray Borg.

I think the champ vs champ angle of Garbrandt makes the risk worthwhile. And the Borg piece was that he was whom UFC insisted he fight to start with. So when they came at him with Dillishaw instead, he thought he could leverage it and get more money because the risk is all on his end with that fight. It's not a super fight, Dillishaw isn't the champ, has never made that weight, and if he were to miss, his title defense streak wouldn't happen. So for him to take the fight, he wanted assurances and more cash. They balked at it and tried to make it sound like he was afraid to fight TJ. If you take his statement at face value, it's not true. He just wanted more.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To the first point, I mean guys fight all the time where there are other options in place in case of an injury. I don't really see the big deal here.

But yeah, as per usual it comes down to the money.

I do like TJs response, as well:

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/06/ufc-tj-dillashaw-demetrious-johnson-ruin-legacy/amp

It was about money. He wanted more and figured he could get it if he pushed for it. Clearly Dana was not open to that and tried to bully him into taking whatever he wanted to give, which is why you saw the post from DJ. Now that it's devolved into a pissing match, it will be fun to see what happens.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I think the champ vs champ angle of Garbrandt makes the risk worthwhile. And the Borg piece was that he was whom UFC insisted he fight to start with. So when they came at him with Dillishaw instead, he thought he could leverage it and get more money because the risk is all on his end with that fight. It's not a super fight, Dillishaw isn't the champ, has never made that weight, and if he were to miss, his title defense streak wouldn't happen. So for him to take the fight, he wanted assurances and more cash. They balked at it and tried to make it sound like he was afraid to fight TJ. If you take his statement at face value, it's not true. He just wanted more.

I don't think he's afraid to fight TJ, but I think he would much rather fight Borg as it's an easier fight to break that record.

It's just weak to me because the guy whose record he wants to beat is a guy who always fought the toughest fights, moved up a division to help the company when they needed a big fight, and was in a tougher division anyway. Anderson Silva would go out and fight his division's version of TJ Dillashaw to try to break that record. Part of having that record as champion is fighting the toughest matchups.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I can't believe this fight might actually happen...

Oh it's going to happen. Too much money to made for it not be. I'm starting to think, Conor may never fight in the UFC again after this.

member 51464

I wish I could get an 8 figure payout to get embarrassed by Mayweather.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Such a complete waste of time.. and of course I'll be watching.

vwg*

Nov 16, 2005
Krasnoyarsk
Such a complete waste of time.. and of course I'll be watching.
That's the crazy thing. The vast majority of people who watch won't have paid a dime and Conor will still make enough to retire off of, and that's not even considering Mayweather will undoubtedly make 50-100% more than he does.

Regarding the fight itself, everyone even knows what the outcome will be and they'll still watch on the .01% chance (being generous here) Conor wins.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In fairness to the spectacle this is going to be, is it going to be any worse in reality than Mayweather Pacquiao was? That fight should never have happened. Pacquiao had a torn rotator cuff, ffs, and they hid the injury to avoid cancelling the fight. And you talk about a huge letdown. Everyone thought that fight was going to be a classic, and instead it was literally one of the worst events in boxing history.

At least with McGregor vs Mayweather, you know going in that it's going to be a complete **** show. There is no fraud happening here. If you plunk down the money, or even waste your time streaming it for free, that's on you.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
In fairness to the spectacle this is going to be, is it going to be any worse in reality than Mayweather Pacquiao was? That fight should never have happened. Pacquiao had a torn rotator cuff, ffs, and they hid the injury to avoid cancelling the fight. And you talk about a huge letdown. Everyone thought that fight was going to be a classic, and instead it was literally one of the worst events in boxing history.

At least with McGregor vs Mayweather, you know going in that it's going to be a complete **** show. There is no fraud happening here. If you plunk down the money, or even waste your time streaming it for free, that's on you.

But for that fight it was two boxers boxing, so there was still some relevance.
This fight has zero relevance and we are missing out on Conor fighting relevant MMA fights. There are at least 20 MMA fights I would rather see Conor do than fight Mayweather.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
But for that fight it was two boxers boxing, so there was still some relevance.
This fight has zero relevance and we are missing out on Conor fighting relevant MMA fights. There are at least 20 MMA fights I would rather see Conor do than fight Mayweather.

This is exactly my point. We all know going in that it's a circus freak show with no real validity to either sport. Because of that, the expectations should be very low, and people watching are watching only because of it being a freak show. When Pacquiao and Mayweather fought, it was supposed to be a monumental event and the expectations for it were off the charts. Instead it turned out to be a joke.

So to me the question is what's worse? A joke of an event that everyone knows up front is a sham, or one that is built up to be this epic class of equals but turns out to be a complete joke, including an actual defrauding of the paying/gambling public?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This is exactly my point. We all know going in that it's a circus freak show with no real validity to either sport. Because of that, the expectations should be very low, and people watching are watching only because of it being a freak show. When Pacquiao and Mayweather fought, it was supposed to be a monumental event and the expectations for it were off the charts. Instead it turned out to be a joke.

So to me the question is what's worse? A joke of an event that everyone knows up front is a sham, or one that is built up to be this epic class of equals but turns out to be a complete joke, including an actual defrauding of the paying/gambling public?

If you are an MMA fan and don't care about boxing, this is worse as it is causing you to miss out on seeing Conor McGregor fight relevant fights in his prime.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If you are an MMA fan and don't care about boxing, this is worse as it is causing you to miss out on seeing Conor McGregor fight relevant fights in his prime.

Well sure, but it's about money. This is going to make him, Mayweather, and the UFC a lot of it. Besides, McGregor is a guy that a lot of MMA fans hate. They deride any accomplishment he has and complain about everything he does or doesn't do...

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
So now that disgrace of a fight is signed, who's Tony Ferguson going to fight for the eventual UFC interim Lightweight title?

Thank God GGG/Canelo will redeem combat sports three weeks later.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It got lost in all the craziness this week but Bellator signed both Mauro Ranallo and Mike Goldberg. Not sure exactly how they're going to be used but apparently they're both working the PPV next week.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
It got lost in all the craziness this week but Bellator signed both Mauro Ranallo and Mike Goldberg. Not sure exactly how they're going to be used but apparently they're both working the PPV next week.

Their regular guy, Sean Grande, left so I would imagine Goldy and Ranallo will likely be the new team going forward.

Wood Stick

Dec 25, 2015
Their regular guy, Sean Grande, left so I would imagine Goldy and Ranallo will likely be the new team going forward.

Still have Jimmy Smith. I think Ranallo would be like an analyst and Goldy calls the fight. Also, Ranallo is a very busy guy and can't make all of the events.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Jimmy Smith isn't going anywhere as neither Goldberg or Maruo are colour guys. Mauro could play the Max Kellerman/Dominic Cruz role in a 3 man team, . There was also talk that Mauro might man a desk and do commentary in between fights with another analyst. After the PPV, I wouldn't be surprised if Mauro does all the kickboxing and overseas cards as the main PBP guy.

Killahpunk

Legend
Jun 29, 2009
Eastern Canada
A former UFC fighter who was reportedly knocked out in a boxing event in Edmonton remains in hospital.

Jackie Neil said in a brief emailed statement on Saturday that her brother, Tim Hague, is in critical condition.

The 33-year-old Hague, who grew up on a farm in Boyle, Alta., was known as "The Thrashing Machine," when he fought UFC.

He was competing against former Edmonton Eskimos defensive end Adam Braidwood at the Shaw Conference Centre on Friday evening in an event promoted by KO Boxing.

Link

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Doesn't sound like this will end well for Hague. Hard to hear about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad