MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Only being offered the fight as a replacement is absolutely insulting. It screams that Dana didn't think you were worthy of the fight to start with, but he'll throw you in as a replacement to attempt to salvage a card. So yes, it's insulting.

This is just ridiculous. Talk about making something about nothing, guys have been replacing others in fights since MMA started. Plus, this isn't even short notice it is a whole new date. 'Absolutely insulting" to be offered a fight.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yes he's commented, but has he offered him a contract to fight Dillishaw? So Dana can blather on all he wants, if he never offered the fight, what does it matter? And again, if White wanted this fight to happen, it would. Simple as that. Johnson himself has said he was never given a contract for the fight. He also hasn't gotten one for Borg. I mean, seriously. Who runs the UFC? Demetrious Johnson apparently the way you guys are making it sound.

Did you read the article? Everyone wants the fight except DJ and the fight has been offered. They can't make DJ sign the contract. They aren't going to send him a contract he won't sign, the fighters verbally agree to the fight then contracts are drawn up.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Did you read the article? Everyone wants the fight except DJ and the fight has been offered. They can't make DJ sign the contract. They aren't going to send him a contract he won't sign, the fighters verbally agree to the fight then contracts are drawn up.

I did read it. And you're overlooking a key quote. Like I said before, if Dana wants this fight, he can get it.

“Unfortunately for D.J., you don’t make the fights around here,†he said. “I do. (Johnson vs. Dillashaw is) the fight we’re pushing for.â€

So if it doesn't happen, it's because White didn't want it.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
I did read it. And you're overlooking a key quote. Like I said before, if Dana wants this fight, he can get it.

So if it doesn't happen, it's because White didn't want it.

Lol what. Dana can't make anyone fight anyone.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
More details on this from DJ himself. Very interesting read.

http://www.mmafighting.com/2017/6/5...d-bullying-has-finally-forced-me-to-speak-out

Hard to read this and not believe that White can force most guys to do what he wants, no?

Mid level and lower level guys, maybe some up and comers sure. But he can't force DJ to do anything. I 100% agree with DJ here, especially after hearing the backstory. At this point, I doubt the fight happens unless Dana and co. break and give in to his demands of the guaranteed money, which I doubt. It'll drag out until Cody's healthy and ready to take on TJ. I don't really like Johnson, but I go mad respect for him sticking up for himself here.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Love DJ for calling Dana's bluff. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

My thought is, if the UFC hates the Flyweight division, and it doesn't make them any money, then why not cut him and let him go to Rizin, ONE or ACB? What's there for the UFC to lose?

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Love DJ for calling Dana's bluff. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

My thought is, if the UFC hates the Flyweight division, and it doesn't make them any money, then why not cut him and let him go to Rizin, ONE or ACB? What's there for the UFC to lose?

They don't need to cut him, he's under contract and if he doesn't want to fight then he just won't be fighting for awhile. As for the division, maybe they would just kill it. It's been extremely underwhelming and nobody really cares about most of the division.

As for what DJ said.. well it's tough, because I actually like DJ. I like watching him fight. I've always said one of the main issues with 125 and 135lb fights is that they are often boring to watch live because the fighters are so fast you don't have any idea what's happening, especially when you are a few drinks in and 100 rows up. So, people boo. I don't know what you do about that.

That said, I have a problem with how DJ is handling this whole situation. I find his statement is filled with hyperbole, inconsistencies, and hypocrisy. I understand that he's protecting his career, but he's really protecting his belt because that's the only thing keeping him relevant. So he's being extra picky and extra demanding with fights, even compare to the current UFC much less older UFC/Pride days.

Protecting your belt is one thing, but I just think he's overplaying his hand here.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Wow. That's one hell of a statement from DJ. We've heard some of this before with the UFC trying to get their way behind the scenes so it's nothing new but still crazy when a champion puts it all out there like that. Of course, that's only one side of the story so it'll be interesting to see where it goes if/when the UFC responds.

The part about the PPV points is interesting. I was under the impression all champions, including those with an interim belt, get points. Do his PPVs just never hit the minimum you need to activate that? A lot of the things he mentions there are a terrible look for the UFC if true but I don't think the marketing issues are entirely on them. They should be better in that area because it's their job but he often doesn't help with his own interviews and promotion.

He's one of the most talented fights in the UFC so hopefully they can work it out.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
I've already voiced my opinion on this so I won't rehash that, but I couldn't disagree with DJ more with these recent comments. He's always talking about how in no other sport does the best guy get treated like this. You're the best guy in the smallest division in the organization that no one wants to watch, and one that isn't exactly ripe with talent. You're nowhere near the best. You're excellent, FOR YOUR WEIGHT.

He has no leverage here. The smart thing would be to play ball, and hope the TJ fight leads to him being a bigger draw and perhaps opens the door to super fights. He's very worried about losing to TJ, plain and simple. He plays hardball the UFC doesn't market him at all, and he continues to make peanuts. He's cutting off his nose to spite his face.

He always complains about the lack of Marketing he and his division gets. The UFC aren't idiots, they're not gonna throw money at a division or fighter that doesn't draw. It's just common sense. He's going about this all wrong.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
I've already voiced my opinion on this so I won't rehash that, but I couldn't disagree with DJ more with these recent comments. He's always talking about how in no other sport does the best guy get treated like this. You're the best guy in the smallest division in the organization that no one wants to watch, and one that isn't exactly ripe with talent. You're nowhere near the best. You're excellent, FOR YOUR WEIGHT.

He has no leverage here. The smart thing would be to play ball, and hope the TJ fight leads to him being a bigger draw and perhaps opens the door to super fights. He's very worried about losing to TJ, plain and simple. He plays hardball the UFC doesn't market him at all, and he continues to make peanuts. He's cutting off his nose to spite his face.

He always complains about the lack of Marketing he and his division gets. The UFC aren't idiots, they're not gonna throw money at a division or fighter that doesn't draw. It's just common sense. He's going about this all wrong.

Absolutely.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010

All he's doing is asking for is guaranteed money if TJ misses and PPV points on his future matches. Is that not fair? If this is some kind of "big draw" fight like Dana keeps saying it is, than he should be paid properly. The UFC doesn't market him at all anyways, so he has nothing to lose by lashing out.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
All he's doing is asking for is guaranteed money if TJ misses and PPV points on his future matches. Is that not fair? If this is some kind of "big draw" fight like Dana keeps saying it is, than he should be paid properly. The UFC doesn't market him at all anyways, so he has nothing to lose by lashing out.

The fact he's been banned from ever earning PPV points simply because he asked for them seems pretty incredulous. Then again, that seems like a typical Dana move.

jaric1862

Jan 14, 2014
Dana should really get going on a Maia vs Woodley fight soon, so once thats done, GSP can fight the winner. Hes not going to be back until October-ish

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
The fact he's been banned from ever earning PPV points simply because he asked for them seems pretty incredulous. Then again, that seems like a typical Dana move.

And threatening the shut the whole division down is a major Dana move lol, bully tactics that I thought would start to disappear with new ownership.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Dana being Dana. Just can't help himself. I love that DJ called his bluff and basically told him to **** off.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Did you even read the article? DJ isn't refusing to fight TJ. He's ****ing with them because they insisted he fight Borg over his choice of Pettis. Now that they want him to swap Borg out for Dillishaw, he's holding them to their word that Borg was the next guy up and most logical choice. And if they want to break that deal and have him face TJ, he wants assurances and money as well as PPV points if Dillishaw misses weight. None of that is unreasonable. None of that says he's afraid to fight TJ. All it says is that if you're going to dick around and force him to fight someone for the good of the company, the guy doing the actual fighting ought to have some benefit out of it.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yes, everyone loves DJ.. except they still won't buy his PPVs.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Yes, everyone loves DJ.. except they still won't buy his PPVs.

You can say that about 99% of the fighters on their roster. Aside from McGregor, and Rousey in the past, who there is really a huge draw for them? To get the PPV numbers they want, they need the casual fans to buy, and none of the casual fans buy other than when McGregor is involved. I haven't looked at it, but I'm guessing the PPV numbers for Aldo Holloway were marginal at best, especially when compared to their fighters that really draw.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
You can say that about 99% of the fighters on their roster. Aside from McGregor, and Rousey in the past, who there is really a huge draw for them? To get the PPV numbers they want, they need the casual fans to buy, and none of the casual fans buy other than when McGregor is involved. I haven't looked at it, but I'm guessing the PPV numbers for Aldo Holloway were marginal at best, especially when compared to their fighters that really draw.

In the last 10 years, Johnson has 3 of the 4 lowest PPV buys. Ironically the only other one near him was when TJ Dillashaw took a fight on about 2 days notice when Renan Barao got hurt and they probably should have cancelled the PPV.

So yes others have been bad too, but he's the worst PPV draw of all-time and it's not really close.

Aldo/Max won't do great either, under 200k for sure.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
In the last 10 years, Johnson has 3 of the 4 lowest PPV buys. Ironically the only other one near him was when TJ Dillashaw took a fight on about 2 days notice when Renan Barao got hurt and they probably should have cancelled the PPV.

So yes others have been bad too, but he's the worst PPV draw of all-time and it's not really close.

Aldo/Max won't do great either, under 200k for sure.

Yep, went out and tried to look it up. No hard numbers but estimates are around 150K. Even Jones DC's first fight only drew 600K. You mentioned DJ doing really bad PPV numbers before, and that essentially proves the point DJ was making. That he and Dillishaw wouldn't really be a draw. So he wanted some guarantees.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yep, went out and tried to look it up. No hard numbers but estimates are around 150K. Even Jones DC's first fight only drew 600K. You mentioned DJ doing really bad PPV numbers before, and that essentially proves the point DJ was making. That he and Dillishaw wouldn't really be a draw. So he wanted some guarantees.

DJ's chief concern seems to be TJ making weight - which is fair in itself. I just find it weird that he wanted fights with Garbrandt and Borg despite the same obvious weight concerns. So is it a weight concern or not? I think he just wants the easier fight in Borg, and that's my issue. As the champion, fight the best challenger. I don't think that's Ray Borg.

MD thaivuN

Anime Music Hipster
Aug 2, 2012
Montreal
www.youtube.com
DJ's chief concern seems to be TJ making weight - which is fair in itself. I just find it weird that he wanted fights with Garbrandt and Borg despite the same obvious weight concerns. So is it a weight concern or not? I think he just wants the easier fight in Borg, and that's my issue. As the champion, fight the best challenger. I don't think that's Ray Borg.

DJ wanted some financial guarantees in case TJ didn't make weight, which the UFC refused to give. Also, if TJ didn't make weight, Borg would replace TJ, which also didn't make DJ happy as he said he wanted to prepare for one guy.

Ultimately, if the UFC really want to convince DJ to fight TJ, they should just pay him extra guarenteed money

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad