MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Dillashaw has never made 125 before. Why take the risk of potential lost income etc if it proves he can't make the weight?

I don't blame Mighty Mouse one bit.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
This women's 145 lb division is such a mess. They rushed it to begin with in order to sell a few more PPVs by having a title fight and now they don't know what to do. De Randamie had gone completely silent since winning the belt and now says she won't fight Cyborg and is focusing on returning to 135 lbs. I think they should just pretend like this never happened and stick to 135, 125, and 115.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Dillashaw has never made 125 before. Why take the risk of potential lost income etc if it proves he can't make the weight?

I don't blame Mighty Mouse one bit.

Ray Borg has missed weight in 2 of his last 4 fights and DJ wants to fight him. So, that's not an issue for DJ.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
This women's 145 lb division is such a mess. They rushed it to begin with in order to sell a few more PPVs by having a title fight and now they don't know what to do. De Randamie had gone completely silent since winning the belt and now says she won't fight Cyborg and is focusing on returning to 135 lbs. I think they should just pretend like this never happened and stick to 135, 125, and 115.

Yeah, which is exactly what I think they will do. I think Dana White even said something like "we think there are enough women to support 3 weight classes" when asked about 125lbs being added.

I still think the 3 weight classes is dumb, much less 4. Just have a 120lb and 140lb class and move on. The UFC is really overestimating the amount of female talent and the amount of interest in seeing more women fights.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Ray Borg has missed weight in 2 of his last 4 fights and DJ wants to fight him. So, that's not an issue for DJ.

Big difference between a guy who missed weight twice and a guy that has never made the weight. It's not the only reason for electing a proper 125 lbs division fight, but it's definitely a valid one.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Big difference between a guy who missed weight twice and a guy that has never made the weight. It's not the only reason for electing a proper 125 lbs division fight, but it's definitely a valid one.

If TJ Dillashaw says that he can make it, I trust a guy like him that has never missed weight to actually make it over these guys like Borg, Oliviera, Hendricks, Lineker, and others who try and have failed multiple times.

But I would be worried about the weight with either guy, which is why neither opponent is ideal.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I've said a few times now I'd much rather see DJ/Dillashaw than DJ/Borg because I think it's a much better fight but I'm going to move off that stance if the talk of Dillashaw not sticking around in the division afterwards is accurate. In that case, I'll actually do a complete 180 and say they shouldn't make the DJ/Dillashaw fight because all that's going to do is screw up another division if Dillashaw wins.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
No doubt Dillashaw is looking to win DJ's title and go up to challenge Garbrandt. Win win for him.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I get people wanting a DJ/TJ fight as fans, but what motivation does DJ have to do that, when he can fight Borg, who would presumably be an easier fight, and set the win streak record he's been chasing? The upside for TJ is that he wins and gets to fight champ versus champ against Garbrandt, but what's the upside for Johnson? There is literally none, which is why he's not interested in doing it. And that was before the rumblings that TJ wouldn't stick around in that division if he won.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
To prove he's pound for pound the best fighter? He complains not being paid enough or getting enough attention. And then refusing to fight the guy that would bring all of the above?

If you're being offered a fight against a top competitor who will bring you fame and money (at least more) and you choose to fight some scrub, it makes you look like a coward.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
To prove he's pound for pound the best fighter? He complains not being paid enough or getting enough attention. And then refusing to fight the guy that would bring all of the above?

If you're being offered a fight against a top competitor who will bring you fame and money (at least more) and you choose to fight some scrub, it makes you look like a coward.

Please. That's flat out nonsense. He's fighting the next guy up in his division, to set a record that he's been chasing for years. Not taking a more difficult fight with a guy who is only coming down because his opponent got hurt does nothing of the sort. As a matter of fact, him being offered this fight as a replacement is a slap in the face, if anything. I don't blame him for saying no. Maybe if they had come to him originally and offered him Dillishaw to set the record, he'd have been open to it, but as a replacement because Garbrandt is hurt? That's insulting. And again, it's not like Dillishaw is a top competitor in DJ's division. He's a former champ in the division above his. Big difference.

You throw in the detail about Dillishaw not actually sticking around the division should he win, again, you have to ask why is this a fight DJ would take? It makes no sense.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The upside for DJ is that he goes from being a guy with no appealing fights to throwing himself into one of the more compelling stories right now with Dillashaw, Cody, and Garbrandt.

Maybe he doesn't make a ton more by fighting Dillashaw, but that fight sets him up to jump Dillashaw and fight Garbrandt next. That's a fight that will make money, champ v champ. Oh, and then he can win that fight and be setup for a big fight with Cruz. Then if he beats Cruz in a fun fight, you have an appealing trilogy fight with Cruz.

So avenge your loss and cement your place as the best p4p guy, under 135lb guy at all time, make a bunch of money, hold two belts, and get your name brought up as a top five p4p guy of all time by the end of 2018.

Or you know, fight Ray Borg and Sergio Pettis on Fox cards.

Your move, DJ.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
The upside for DJ is that he goes from being a guy with no appealing fights to throwing himself into one of the more compelling stories right now with Dillashaw, Cody, and Garbrandt.

Maybe he doesn't make a ton more by fighting Dillashaw, but that fight sets him up to jump Dillashaw and fight Garbrandt next. That's a fight that will make money, champ v champ. Oh, and then he can win that fight and be setup for a big fight with Cruz. Then if he beats Cruz in a fun fight, you have an appealing trilogy fight with Cruz.

So avenge your loss and cement your place as the best p4p guy, under 135lb guy at all time, make a bunch of money, hold two belts, and get your name brought up as a top five p4p guy of all time by the end of 2018.

Or you know, fight Ray Borg and Sergio Pettis on Fox cards.

Your move, DJ.

Sure, I get it from a fan's perspective. But again, he's chasing a record, not trying to make it fun for the fans. So uh, yeah, Fox sports one it is. And let's be honest. Those other fights with Cruz, Garbrandt, Dillishaw will all be there after. So he gets to do what he wants and still benefit from those.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Sure, I get it from a fan's perspective. But again, he's chasing a record, not trying to make it fun for the fans. So uh, yeah, Fox sports one it is. And let's be honest. Those other fights with Cruz, Garbrandt, Dillishaw will all be there after. So he gets to do what he wants and still benefit from those.

Pretty much everything I typed were things that would benefit DJ, not fans. Financially, legacy-wise, whatever.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Pretty much everything I typed were things that would benefit DJ, not fans. Financially, legacy-wise, whatever.

Legacy? Like as in setting the longest UFC title defense streak? Seems to me, that legacy gets cemented if he fights Borg just as much as if he fights TJ, and it's an easier fight.

And again, he still can have those things after he accomplishes his own personal goal of breaking the UFC title defense record, which is what he wants. You presented things that matter to fans and acted like it was a now or never scenario. It's not. He can do both, on his own terms.

Do you think Dana White is going to say no to DJ about a Cruz rematch if DJ fights Borg first? Or if DJ wants to take on the winner of Garbrandt/Dillishaw after he fights Borg? Really? He can break the record, which is a stated goal by him, and still do those things. The problem is that it's not on the terms you want, which is that of a fan. Which is why I said it benefited the fans and Dillishaw.

One last thing. Who keeps pushing this idea? Dana White? DJ? No. It's TJ Dillishaw because he needs DJ to stay relevant, and a bunch of fans. Nobody else. If White really wanted this fight to happen, it would already be done. He doesn't because he knows it won't sell and that it's not a draw for the causal fan, which is what he needs to make the PPV worthwhile. So what financial gain does DJ really get from that? Yeah. Right.

dss97

Aug 30, 2010
I trust TJ to make 125. The guy isn't even big at all for a 135er. He'd probably beat Mighty Mouse's ass too; better stand up and I doubt MM could take him down.

MM-TJ isn't a ppv main event seller.

It's a hell of a lot bigger seller than MM vs whatever nobody he gets matched up with next in his irrelevant division.

And Mighty Mouse wonders why he has no fans.

BGDDYKWL

Jul 16, 2007
Please. That's flat out nonsense. He's fighting the next guy up in his division, to set a record that he's been chasing for years.
If the record is important to him I'm not gonna fault him, but avoiding top competition to achieve it cheapens it, and let's be honest, it's not like when he sets that record it's gonna do anything for his brand.

Not taking a more difficult fight with a guy who is only coming down because his opponent got hurt does nothing of the sort. As a matter of fact, him being offered this fight as a replacement is a slap in the face, if anything.
It's a slap in the face to offer him the biggest fight he could possibly hope for at 125? Particularly when he's been complaining about his pay for quite some time now? What more can the UFC do for him?

And again, it's not like Dillishaw is a top competitor in DJ's division. He's a former champ in the division above his. Big difference.
Former champ who just coached TUF and is FAR more well known than Borg. That's all very good for a guy trying to build his brand.

You throw in the detail about Dillishaw not actually sticking around the division should he win, again, you have to ask why is this a fight DJ would take? It makes no sense.
This is the one problem. If TJ beats him and goes to 135 then interest in the 125-pound division goes from slim to none.

And let's be honest. Those other fights with Cruz, Garbrandt, Dillishaw will all be there after. So he gets to do what he wants and still benefit from those.
They most certainly will not. As m9 mentioned, this is MM's easiest path to those fights, because if he wins you could make the case for him fighting Cody since TJ was the number one contender. A fight with Cruz could also potentially be made sometime down the line if he performs well at 135. None of those guys are moving down to 125 to chase a guy that's arguably the smallest drawing champion in the history of the company.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
You are wrong again, as Dana White has been very outspoken about wanting the fight. The only one who doesn't want it is DJ.

https://www.google.ca/amp/mmajunkie...nson-ppv-fight-t-j-dillashaw-its-insanity/amp

Yes he's commented, but has he offered him a contract to fight Dillishaw? So Dana can blather on all he wants, if he never offered the fight, what does it matter? And again, if White wanted this fight to happen, it would. Simple as that. Johnson himself has said he was never given a contract for the fight. He also hasn't gotten one for Borg. I mean, seriously. Who runs the UFC? Demetrious Johnson apparently the way you guys are making it sound.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If the record is important to him I'm not gonna fault him, but avoiding top competition to achieve it cheapens it, and let's be honest, it's not like when he sets that record it's gonna do anything for his brand.

It's a slap in the face to offer him the biggest fight he could possibly hope for at 125? Particularly when he's been complaining about his pay for quite some time now? What more can the UFC do for him?

Former champ who just coached TUF and is FAR more well known than Borg. That's all very good for a guy trying to build his brand.

This is the one problem. If TJ beats him and goes to 135 then interest in the 125-pound division goes from slim to none.

They most certainly will not. As m9 mentioned, this is MM's easiest path to those fights, because if he wins you could make the case for him fighting Cody since TJ was the number one contender. A fight with Cruz could also potentially be made sometime down the line if he performs well at 135. None of those guys are moving down to 125 to chase a guy that's arguably the smallest drawing champion in the history of the company.

Only being offered the fight as a replacement is absolutely insulting. It screams that Dana didn't think you were worthy of the fight to start with, but he'll throw you in as a replacement to attempt to salvage a card. So yes, it's insulting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->