MMA General Discussion and Fight Announcements 7.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
If that Paulie shit is true I hope it's at least an MMA fight, even than, get back to doing your f***ing job Conor, defend a f***ing title.

Yah let's go bring boxing some more money while the UFC is struggling to crack 100k most nights now. Makes sense.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
It doesn't. In fact it hurts them. But rolling this guy out there to end up dead would be far worse for the UFC than what they did. If you haven't read the article he wrote, go read it. There's no way they were going to let him go out there and risk him dying in the ring at their event. The guy basically admits to having brain damage from all his fights. To the point where his body is breaking down and he has gaps in his memory all the time. That's not a good thing.

GSP has been abducted by aliens but they're letting him fight. I totally support the altruistic reasons for pulling Hunt from his fight, but I don't think the UFC is in the business of altruism.

Kitten Mittons

Nov 18, 2007
GSP has been abducted by aliens but they're letting him fight. I totally support the altruistic reasons for pulling Hunt from his fight, but I don't think the UFC is in the business of altruism.
He's been abducted years ago though. If he was on JRE now and pulled that line, then yeah it would be hypocritical.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA

Well sure, but that's a different argument. In all honesty, they're looking at his words and probably looking to protect themselves from future litigation from his family for the brain damage he may have sustained while fighting under their banner.

So given that he penned that brutally honest story about what he goes through just to fight, there was no way they were going to let him go back in there. Up until that story came out, they at least had plausible deniability, even if it's laughable to suggest that. Now that he's put into print that his memory and brain has been impacted, no chance he fights for them again.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
lol @ this Paulie talk. Wouldn't put it past them.

Dana would love nothing more than to be an actual boxing promoter. So it wouldn't be a shock to see him do that. I'd be pissed and hate it every step of the way, but he'd love it.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A Khabib/Barboza fight makes a lot of sense to me. I'm a little tired of the Khabib/Ferguson fight getting put together and then being pulled for various reasons and I don't think Khabib should get an immediate title shot right now anyways. If he shows he can make weight and beats another top ranked LW then obviously he's right there in the title picture again.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
Dana would love nothing more than to be an actual boxing promoter. So it wouldn't be a shock to see him do that. I'd be pissed and hate it every step of the way, but he'd love it.

It would make a pretty big bucket of money with zero consequence to Conor's value as an MMA chip, so it does make financial sense.

If you want to milk Conor's value to the absolute max, with max returns, you do the following:
  1. Paulie boxing (still 2 division champion regardless of outcome, huge upside if he wins)
  2. Fight GSP @ 170 (still 2 division champion regardless of outcome, huge upside if he wins)
  3. Hope a new 165 weight class materializes and fight the Nate Diaz trilogy for the new 165 lbs title (still 2 division champion regardless of outcome)
  4. Look for a Nick Diaz fight (still 2 division champion regardless of outcome)
  5. Nurmagomedov @ 165 for title in Russia if he's still at the top (still 2 division champion regardless of outcome, huge upside if he wins)
  6. Consider whoever is holding the 155 strap if they are massive draw, or keep cherry picking superfights
I feel like he could rattle off all those fights for blockbuster paydays regardless of whether he wins/loses them - especially the first 4 fights I listed.
On the other hand, if he decides to go fight Tony (proven not to be much of a draw), and loses handily, all of the above fades big time in terms of earning potential.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It would make a pretty big bucket of money with zero consequence to Conor's value as an MMA chip, so it does make financial sense.

If you want to milk Conor's value to the absolute max, with max returns, you do the following:
  1. Paulie boxing (still 2 division champion regardless of outcome, huge upside if he wins)
  2. Fight GSP @ 170 (still 2 division champion regardless of outcome, huge upside if he wins)
  3. Hope a new 165 weight class materializes and fight the Nate Diaz trilogy for the new 165 lbs title (still 2 division champion regardless of outcome)
  4. Look for a Nick Diaz fight (still 2 division champion regardless of outcome)
  5. Nurmagomedov @ 165 for title in Russia if he's still at the top (still 2 division champion regardless of outcome, huge upside if he wins)
  6. Consider whoever is holding the 155 strap if they are massive draw, or keep cherry picking superfights
I feel like he could rattle off all those fights for blockbuster paydays regardless of whether he wins/loses them - especially the first 4 fights I listed.
On the other hand, if he decides to go fight Tony (proven not to be much of a draw), and loses handily, all of the above fades big time in terms of earning potential.

I'm not sure how much play the "2-division champ" thing has when you are planning 5 fights (ie 2 years) down the line without defending any of the belts. He will be a zero-divion champ in reality. Basically this is just a list of ways he can fight without losing his 155lb belt for the next two years.

I do think some of it would work though, despite it pissing me off as a fan. The Paulie fight next, sure makes sense. Win or lose, doesn't matter for MMA. GSP after that, sure makes sense. From here I go a different way though, and the next fight if he beat GSP is for the 170lb title. So that puts him fighting Woodley (or whoever the champ is) and then go from there. If he loses to GSP, then you can do the 155lb title fight. Then after the 155 title fight, do Diaz win or lose.

Keep in mind none of that is what I actually want as an MMA fight. I want Conor v Ferguson next, then v Nate Diaz. Who knows from there, too early to tell.

kurt

the last emperor
Sep 11, 2004
Victoria
I'm not sure how much play the "2-division champ" thing has when you are planning 5 fights (ie 2 years) down the line without defending any of the belts. He will be a zero-divion champ in reality. Basically this is just a list of ways he can fight without losing his 155lb belt for the next two years.

I do think some of it would work though, despite it pissing me off as a fan. The Paulie fight next, sure makes sense. Win or lose, doesn't matter for MMA. GSP after that, sure makes sense. From here I go a different way though, and the next fight if he beat GSP is for the 170lb title. So that puts him fighting Woodley (or whoever the champ is) and then go from there. If he loses to GSP, then you can do the 155lb title fight. Then after the 155 title fight, do Diaz win or lose.

Keep in mind none of that is what I actually want as an MMA fight. I want Conor v Ferguson next, then v Nate Diaz. Who knows from there, too early to tell.

Yeah I definitely want him to fight Ferguson next, but I feel like he has to get a finish if he wants to get a chance. Ferguson's cardio is just too much for him if it goes the distance I think.

My previous post is just what I would do if I was him and wanted to make the most money - not what I'd like to see him do as a fan. I agree that the "2 division champ" thing loses lustre if he doesn't defend the belts in the eyes of hardcore fans, but casual flans will flock to see him, and us hardcores always watch anyway so we're not going anywhere.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
A Conor/Paulie boxing match is stupid and completely nonsensical. As a fan, I don't care about Conor's or the UFC's money so hopefully this isn't something they're seriously considering.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Yeah I definitely want him to fight Ferguson next, but I feel like he has to get a finish if he wants to get a chance. Ferguson's cardio is just too much for him if it goes the distance I think.

My previous post is just what I would do if I was him and wanted to make the most money - not what I'd like to see him do as a fan. I agree that the "2 division champ" thing loses lustre if he doesn't defend the belts in the eyes of hardcore fans, but casual flans will flock to see him, and us hardcores always watch anyway so we're not going anywhere.

It's a great fight because of those reasons. Conor has the power and Ferguson is extremely hittable. But yeah, Ferguson takes over later in the fight. I don't think it goes to a decision - either Conor knocks him out early, or Ferguson subs him in the later rounds.

Reactions: Avs_19

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
A Conor/Paulie boxing match is stupid and completely nonsensical. As a fan, I don't care about Conor's or the UFC's money so hopefully this isn't something they're seriously considering.

If they're going to do it, just do it as an MMA fight. They can mostly box anyway, and if Paulie is getting the better of the standup Conor can just take him down and work from there. There's no leverage for Paulie here, Conor can dictate the rules. Both guys make money and I think it's an acceptable compromise for everyone involved.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's a great fight because of those reasons. Conor has the power and Ferguson is extremely hittable. But yeah, Ferguson takes over later in the fight. I don't think it goes to a decision - either Conor knocks him out early, or Ferguson subs him in the later rounds.

It won't go long enough for Tony to do that, IMO. He just eats so many shots that I don't see him lasting longer than a few rounds at most.

I mean f***, if Lee wasn't dealing with staph and having drained his reserves just to get to weight, I think he wins that fight. He was winning early and just faded.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
It won't go long enough for Tony to do that, IMO. He just eats so many shots that I don't see him lasting longer than a few rounds at most.

I mean ****, if Lee wasn't dealing with staph and having drained his reserves just to get to weight, I think he wins that fight. He was winning early and just faded.

I think Ferguson takes over that fight vs Lee regardless of the staph, but who knows.

But yeah, Ferguson is built to make Conor look really, really good. But if Ferguson is tough enough to get through those first 10 minutes, it's going to be an awesome fight.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I think Ferguson takes over that fight vs Lee regardless of the staph, but who knows.

But yeah, Ferguson is built to make Conor look really, really good. But if Ferguson is tough enough to get through those first 10 minutes, it's going to be an awesome fight.

Yep, if he can weather the storm, he has a solid advantage in cardio.

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I think Mousasi is very lucky to escape with that decision. Second round was close but I had it for Shlemenko.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad