MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)

Haven't been able to find any news of other cities, nor have I seen any confirmations of this, but it seems a credible source.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
The Redbull's PbP team is horrific. Watch the Official MLS highlights of their game vs the Caps and don't cringe hard for half the video

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Precourt appears to have been planning this ever since he bought the team. Folks here are still annoyed about the public buyout of Nationwide Arena, so public financing is not going to happen - and even if it did happen, the folks in Austin are saying they've got a done deal, so it's more likely we'd just get the Modell treatment. But unlike that team, and unlike San Jose when this happened to them, that ****stain Garber already is pointing at having FC Cincinnati lined up so there's pretty much less than zero possibility of a second chance here. We're just ****ed.

Between this and the USMNT flopping hard, I am just about done with the entire game of soccer. **** this league, **** this game, **** everything.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
Well...that sucks. Mayor of Austin already came out and said they'd welcome the team but they wouldn't be building them a stadium so that tells me he has other investors in the area.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Well...that sucks. Mayor of Austin already came out and said they'd welcome the team but they wouldn't be building them a stadium so that tells me he has other investors in the area.
That's basically our only hope - if Precourt's committed enough to the public funds mishegaas and Austin holds out. But I don't think they will.

Classic Devil

Spirit of 1988
Dec 23, 2003
Columbus, Ohio
I'm furious. I was a NY/NJ Metrostars fan until those jerks at Red Bull bought the team and changed them into an abomination, and I adopted the Crew when I moved to Columbus and now I'm going to lose them too, because it's absolutely clear which way this is going.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean Austin is cool and Columbus sucks. Can’t blame Precourt.

Cincy will be the replacement Ohio team eventually.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Well, we're ****ed.

Read this article. My God. This is probably the most sleazy and corrupt thing in the history of MLS and think of the ground that covers. The guy conned his way into owning the team vowing loyalty to the city while plotting his exit from the very beginning. I really needed to take a shower after reading what this guy did.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I mean Austin is cool and Columbus sucks. Can’t blame Precourt.
I am not prepared to respond to this in a manner that would be acceptable under site rules.

Cincy will be the replacement Ohio team eventually.
This is like saying it's okay if the Rangers and Islanders and Devils all vanish tomorrow because New York still has the Sabres.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I am not prepared to respond to this in a manner that would be acceptable under site rules.

This is like saying it's okay if the Rangers and Islanders and Devils all vanish tomorrow because New York still has the Sabres.

Cincinnati is an hour and a half away from Columbus. Buffalo is 6 hours away from NY Metro area. It’s not the same.

Austin is one of the best, growing markets in USA. Ohio is not. It’s a lousy decision but it’s his decision. I feel very bad for anyone that loses a team but owners are not ethical business people. Unfortunately if I wanted to make money and attract better talent, l Austin is simply better venue. Precourt probably feels this way as well.

My words were harsh and I apologize for that. While Ohio is sincerely the worst state that I have spent extended time, it’s really terrible that this is happening to them. The MLS powers that be probably view Cincy and the replacement from Columbus because it’s the the same geo for them. They can back that up with statistics but it still sucks. Austin is a good market for MLS and I have no doubt that Garber wants to be there but it’s shocking news.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Cincinnati is an hour and a half away from Columbus. Buffalo is 6 hours away from NY Metro area. It’s not the same.

Austin is one of the best, growing markets in USA. Ohio is not.
You completely missed the point. Ohio is not a monoculture any more than New York is. Cincy and Cleveland are dying; Columbus is growing. In fact, it's the second-fastest-growing city in the Midwest (behind Des Moines). It's the same size as Austin in population, is already a larger TV market, has almost the same economic background (state capital, lots of tech companies, freakin' huge state public university) and equivalent resulting demographics. The ONLY substantive sports market difference is that instead of an NHL team, they have an AHL team.

Austin is essentially Columbus's twin brother in Texas. Been that way for a long time. It is not "better". And Cincinnati would be a major downgrade because that city has been slowly dying for years. And if team proximity was really that much of an issue, you'd think that having the Houston Dynamo and FC Dallas both within a few hours' drive would be a bigger problem than FC Cincy maybe showing up in a few years possibly if a stadium can be built maybe.

Last edited:

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I mean I don’t think it’s enough reason to move a team away. I can see Precourts logic but it’s lousy. Does no state tax in Texas have to do with that?

I was not very articulate in my initial post but this feels like Garber shenanigans to get Austin and Cincinnati into the league. I’m surprised Columbus would be a franchise that they would sacrifice for that but you can’t fight geography.

I may be biased because I have spent extended times both in the Columbus area and the Austin area and strongly enjoyed Texas more, but that is not justification for moving a team in my mind. In the hands of crooked business men anything is possible unfortunately.

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I don't like it either.

Don't buy a team to relocate the franchise. If you want a franchise, make a bid for expansion in the market you want or buy an existing team in the market you want. Its not fair to the fans who live in the area where there are moving the team from.

chasespace

Jul 19, 2010
Gator Nation
MLS could quickly quash this by not allowing it. But they're chasing dollars right now so they're game. If this actually becomes a reality then every franchise that underperforms is gonna have a strange glance passed their way from now on.

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
I have many thoughts on this, but they are all mostly summarized as: MLS sucks. It kindof always has. It's fun sometimes, but the soccer is generally terrible, with a few exceptions. I tuned into a SJ/LA game earlier this year, and from an entertainment perspective, it was awful. Not just lacking in quality, but like, my kids' soccer games as 4 and 5 year olds were more entertaining.

If the Crew stay, good. I'll watch and go to games when I can. If they leave, I will never watch another MLS game on purpose until they come back here.

Reactions: Viqsi and Cochese

phisherman

Apr 17, 2015
I have many thoughts on this, but they are all mostly summarized as: MLS sucks. It kindof always has. It's fun sometimes, but the soccer is generally terrible, with a few exceptions. I tuned into a SJ/LA game earlier this year, and from an entertainment perspective, it was awful. Not just lacking in quality, but like, my kids' soccer games as 4 and 5 year olds were more entertaining.

Maybe you should watch Toronto FC. The BEST team in MLS right now!!!

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

I've seen plenty of MLS matches that were very good and very entertaining. I've seen plenty of games in big European leagues that were so awful and boring that they would've put coffee to sleep.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->