MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Loons drew with Philly tonight. VAR took away a penalty from us, which was a bummer, but a buddy who was watching at home texted me and said it was probably justified.

Ethan Finlay continues to impress me. Really happy that he is on the team.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Danladi with an absolute stunner to beat Montreal. That was a great result, travelling across the continent, another away game, short rest. Nice to see Ramirez score in his return, but Danladi's goal literally made me jump out of my barstool! The people around me not watching the game were confused :laugh:

Danladi goal

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Danladi with an absolute stunner to beat Montreal. That was a great result, travelling across the continent, another away game, short rest. Nice to see Ramirez score in his return, but Danladi's goal literally made me jump out of my barstool! The people around me not watching the game were confused :laugh:

Danladi goal

You guys coulda been a playoff contender if they woulda brought a legit DP or two. Real shame.

Brock Anton

flames #badnwagon
Nov 8, 2009
Westerly, RI
Ives reporting that Heaps is out in New England.

On one hand I'm thrilled about this, but on the other I'm scared because knowing this club, they'll just promote Soehn or Llamosa and not even bother having a search. But assuming (hoping) we actually go outside the organization, IMO Gio Savarese should be the guy. He could be able to do wonders with the attacking talent we've got.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
You guys coulda been a playoff contender if they woulda brought a legit DP or two. Real shame.

Yeah, if we had a legit #10, and a couple more solid depth players with MLS experience at DM and CB, I think we would be a fringe playoff team.

Scouting misses (Demidov/the Scandinavians) and a lack of depth are really what sunk us, I think.

That trade with Colorado though, where we picked up Cronin and Burch, was so crucial. Burch has been hurt a majority of the season, but Cronin was a massive stabilizer.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
So with 2 new teams coming in next year, the league will be at 24, and they're looking to expand even more, right? If they get up to 28-30 teams eventually, I think it'd be cool to see them treat the two conferences as essentially two different "leagues".

So there's currently 34 games on the schedule, if you had 15 teams in each conference, you could play each team in the conference home and away, which is 28 games. Then the remaining 6 could be a rotating system where you play 6 teams from the other conference every year, just for some variety.

I don't know if that sort of system is viable for the MLS, but I like the idea of being able to play all the teams in your conference home and away, as the league expands even more.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Didn't know where to post this but NASL filed an antitrust suit against US Soccer over losing D2 status. Because that worked out so well for the USFL all those years ago.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
You know your team is bad when you're excited to see how many goals they are going to give up against Atlanta

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Basically they lost the greatest coach in the history of American soccer and replaced him with one who was terrible. The result was very predictable.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Basically they lost the greatest coach in the history of American soccer and replaced him with one who was terrible. The result was very predictable.

Its not just that. Losing Robbie Keane and placing all your eggs on inconsistent Giovani Dos Santos, Zardes who can't play soccer without Robbie Keane or Landon Donovan, relying on Jermaine Jones when he's a red card and injury waiting to happen, relying on Robbie Rogers whose career was on the line and trading away your fan favorite defender and more than capable defender in De La Garza, starting a USL goalie ahead of last years starter for no good reason, relying on youth players when they clearly were not ready for prime time, hiring a coach who has one of the worst MLS head coaching records in the leagues 21 year history, signing Jonathan Dos Santos because he's the brother of Giovani, not signing a striker because of reasons unknown.

Hell there were polls on Galaxy forums asking when Onalfo would fired before the season started.

Believe me. Every single Galaxy fan knew going in this season was going to be ****. But the absolute worst part about it is that every single player sans Allessandrini gave up. Amazingly enough the only good thing the front office did this year was signing him. And this isn't a quick fix. There's so many holes and so many mistakes that were made that it can't all be undone in a season or 2. We married ourselves to the Dos Santos brothers with no flexibility there.

And the absolute worst part is that they chose to suck at the worst possible time with LAFC coming up in the rear view mirror. They have a magnificent stadium being built, a solid coach in Bradley and doing everything right so far. And they are watching this Galaxy team and see the potential of becoming the premier soccer team in LA.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
Awesome Loons game tonight. We have one more home game, but I will have to miss it, so this was an awesome game to close out the season.

Some great goals, some general MLS craziness, a whole lot of fun! Back to back wins for the first time this season.

Come on you Loons!

You're my wonderwall. :yo:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Awesome Loons game tonight. We have one more home game, but I will have to miss it, so this was an awesome game to close out the season.

Some great goals, some general MLS craziness, a whole lot of fun! Back to back wins for the first time this season.

Come on you Loons!

You're my wonderwall. :yo:

I've actually grown to love this song because of that video you posted a couple of months ago :laugh:

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
What a collapse by FC Dallas while Petke has gotten RSL in a decent enough position to make the playoffs incredibly (though it helps more than half the teams make it :laugh:)

Red Bulls limping into the playoffs, they are lucky they still have 2 games with DC United remaining and if they win both it should be enough but beyond those two games their fixtures are brutal (however their matches with ATL and VAN are at home)

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I've actually grown to love this song because of that video you posted a couple of months ago :laugh:

It's a cool tradition. The rest of the stadium is catching on, and it's gotten louder after every win.

When they cut out the audio for the chorus, and it's just the crowd singing, with no music backing, I definitely get some goosebumps.

Last edited:

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
LA Galaxy out here handing LA over to LAFC on platter.

Think they will fare better than Red Bulls regarding maintaining their marke share though. They have history.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Toronto FC wins the Supporter's Shield. First Canadian team to win it. If they win the cup this year it could go down as one of the best teams in MLS history.

I had a long post about the Galaxy before the migration that got lost so I'll try to sum it up. Apparently Phil Anschutz was very upset after the Galaxy loss against Toronto not too long ago and I can't imagine he's pleased with the many losses following that and the meltdown against the Dynamo mid week. As far as I'm concerned everyone can go except Alessandrini, Boateng and Lleget with Klein and Vagenas getting shown the door rather quickly. Unfortunately we married ourselves to the Dos Santos brothers and are stuck with them without a legitimate striker on hand. The defense is in shambles, the mid field has no cohesion, and Zardes' game fell of a cliff. All the while LAFC coming up in the rear view mirror. Its disgraceful

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad