MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
This is pretty much like trying to argue with Felix at this point. I'm done.
At least stop insulting people who are actually suffering by pretending you care. That's all we can ever ask for.

You support a team in a league with single entity model. If you don't boycott Red Bulls, then you are essentially financially supporting CFG. Surely you understood that?

If yiu actually believed in what you say then you'd be boycotting the league an the sport. Hence its BS.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
yea, no. Not if you are just using it to bash NYCFC fans for your own amusement.

If you are so morally offended (which is BS) then you should be boycotting this entire ****ing sport.
I've considered that from time to time, but I try not to dump on the Crew just because their parent company does business with jack***es. (Particularly since said parent company has made it totally clear they don't give a flying **** about our very existence, to say nothing of our or anyone else's well-being.)

Given that RBNY is also in that group of early clubs that MLS desperately tries to pretend never truly mattered or existed along with the Revs and DC (and probably Colorado as well, altho I haven't personally seen it in action with them), I wouldn't be shocked to see fans of those teams having a similar perspective.

Reactions: sabremike

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The only good thing about last night was certain smarmy people who go out of their way to take cheapshots at Petkie as a coach (mostly the sycophants of our fan base) got to eat a giant helping of shit. Mike got his tactics 100% right: play an ugly game and distrupt our rhythm. Jesse had no answer for it and it worked perfectly.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I've considered that from time to time, but I try not to dump on the Crew just because their parent company does business with jack***es. (Particularly since said parent company has made it totally clear they don't give a flying **** about our very existence, to say nothing of our or anyone else's well-being.)

Given that RBNY is also in that group of early clubs that MLS desperately tries to pretend never truly mattered or existed along with the Revs and DC (and probably Colorado as well, altho I haven't personally seen it in action with them), I wouldn't be shocked to see fans of those teams having a similar perspective.
Its bush league what they are doing in Columbus.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
It will be interested to see who Seattle play as a striker next game. Morris is obviously hurt, Bruin is currently hurt (might be back; haven’t seen a time table for his injuries), and now Dempsey is suspended for a bs red card. Maybe Bwana who’s been good in the limited viewings I’ve seen but I don’t know if he is strong enough on the ball to lead the line.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Galaxy could be without at least 10 players this weekend with either injuries, international games or suspension. Alessandrini (injured), Both Dos Santos players (injured), Kamara (Norway), Klimenta (Montenegro), Cole (suspended), Ciani (injured), Pedro (injured), Pontius (injured), Jamison (injured). Even if some of these guys are about ready to comeback, I would be hesitant to play them on that crappy turf in Vancouver.

Also according to a local galaxy writer, a Zlatan announcement could be as soon as this week.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
On one hand this is entirely true, on the other it's also entirely true about like 95% of the leagues in the entire world.
Not in soccer though. The refereeing is at a very high level in most European leagues. Remember it's a very tough sport to be a referee, and assistant referee, the guys in Europe and also in other parts of the world are excellent. What we see in MLS is a joke, some of them are not even in shape, some are fat, some seem to not understant very well the laws of the game, that's simply not acceptable. The main problem though is that it seems it's always the same guys, WAKE UP they have shown for years that they are not good enough PLEASE bring some new guys.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
The NYCFC v NYRB debate is silly. Both of their locations have big pluses (NYCFC - location; NYRB - SSS, cost) and minuses (NYCFC - baseball stadium, field size; NYRB - technically New Jersey).

Either way, both are New York teams, just like the Giants and Jets are New York teams and just like, when I fly to NYC, every airline/travel company includes Newark. It's New York metro and anyone that looks down on that is some pretentious douche.

Also, someone mentioned that all the teams located not in the city center have attendance issues which is laughable because SKC was on the list and they definitely do not have attendance issues. Can't speak to the other teams.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

This is going to be interesting. When you get a chance to get a player like that for TAM money, you obviously do it...but this is no longer Sigi's team, for better or worse.

Now I suddenly wish I knew where my old Barça kit was...first soccer anything I ever bought was an Ibra FCB jersey while walking around Barcelona as I was learning the sport (wanted to go to a game, but couldn't get the timing to work). Honestly I knew next to nothing about him at the time :laugh:

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Love this move as he could be just as good as when Drogba came over or even better. And at his worst, he's still better than having Lassiter behind Kamara as a backup striker.

Reactions: Big McLargehuge

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So Meram's been exiled to a world without hope and Kamara is now going to be overshadowed by a former ManU standout with a predilection for self-aggrandizement. Boy, I'm sure glad to see that even though we lost two of our best players, they're at least getting the chance to be appreciated. :facepalm: :shakehead

At least Zardes is doing well.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
The NYCFC v NYRB debate is silly. Both of their locations have big pluses (NYCFC - location; NYRB - SSS, cost) and minuses (NYCFC - baseball stadium, field size; NYRB - technically New Jersey).

Either way, both are New York teams, just like the Giants and Jets are New York teams and just like, when I fly to NYC, every airline/travel company includes Newark. It's New York metro and anyone that looks down on that is some pretentious *****e.

Also, someone mentioned that all the teams located not in the city center have attendance issues which is laughable because SKC was on the list and they definitely do not have attendance issues. Can't speak to the other teams.

I didn't mean to say that SKC had attendance issues. They surely do not. I was out there for the Open Cup Final last year and I had a great time. I was just saying that so many people give the Red Bulls crap for "not being in New York" and I was just illustrating that the Red Bulls are closer to New York compared to several teams and the cities they claim to represent.

SKC is in KC, Kansas... but are well outside downtown Kansas City. They are definitely the exception to the rule. Stadium in the middle of nowhere and it's always packed.

Reactions: sabremike

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
Not in soccer though. The refereeing is at a very high level in most European leagues. Remember it's a very tough sport to be a referee, and assistant referee, the guys in Europe and also in other parts of the world are excellent. What we see in MLS is a joke, some of them are not even in shape, some are fat, some seem to not understant very well the laws of the game, that's simply not acceptable. The main problem though is that it seems it's always the same guys, WAKE UP they have shown for years that they are not good enough PLEASE bring some new guys.
Mike Dean. Enough said.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Another ridiculous crowd for NYRB yesterday what is going on? 14k announced crowd and in reality probably 10k at the game. Even worse in Dallas and Columbus but that's understandable.

Zlatan the ultimate bully : always strong against the small clubs and always weak against the big clubs that's his career right there.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Another ridiculous crowd for NYRB yesterday what is going on? 14k announced crowd and in reality probably 10k at the game. Even worse in Dallas and Columbus but that's understandable.

You could literally write a book on why Metro/Red Bull has struggled attendance wise. The whole branding thing is a giant negative and turns off the pretentious types. Right now the team has very good players but doesn't have a gate attraction (I've literally been told point blank that the team is never going to spend big money on a "Name" player (eg: Henry, Cahill ect.) ever again). And when you have a game played at night in March (and at the same exact time as a Devils game that is literally within walking distance of RBA) when it's not warm vs a terrible opponent you end up with a bad crowd. The single biggest reason the team struggles at the gate is the failure to win the league. In a sense the team has been more successful than the perception historically because we have only missed the playoffs 4 time in our 22 year history, we just never got over the hump. In the right scenario people will come: for the last game in 2013 where if we won we would win the Supporters Shield the place sold out well in advance and prices on the secondary market were well north of $100.

gphr513

Watch the world burn
Jan 14, 2014
Minneapolis, MN
I was kind of baffled watching that game. It was like nobody knew there was a game that night, and all forgot to come.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
You could literally write a book on why Metro/Red Bull has struggled attendance wise. The whole branding thing is a giant negative and turns off the pretentious types. Right now the team has very good players but doesn't have a gate attraction (I've literally been told point blank that the team is never going to spend big money on a "Name" player (eg: Henry, Cahill ect.) ever again). And when you have a game played at night in March (and at the same exact time as a Devils game that is literally within walking distance of RBA) when it's not warm vs a terrible opponent you end up with a bad crowd. The single biggest reason the team struggles at the gate is the failure to win the league. In a sense the team has been more successful than the perception historically because we have only missed the playoffs 4 time in our 22 year history, we just never got over the hump. In the right scenario people will come: for the last game in 2013 where if we won we would win the Supporters Shield the place sold out well in advance and prices on the secondary market were well north of $100.
Wanting your team to not be named after crappy energy drink is pretentious?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad