MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

varsaku

Feb 14, 2014
United States
With Toronto and NYRB winning tonight, if Seattle wins tomorrow, then an MLS team is guaranteed to be in the final! Also I can see all of those teams beating or at least challenging America for the title. Great year for the MLS.

That was a real frantic finish to the TFC game. I love this year’s CCL with all MLS teams actually trying hard to win. TFC must really dig deep to beat America. If there is any MLS team that has a chance at beating America, TFC is a good one.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
That was a real frantic finish to the TFC game. I love this year’s CCL with all MLS teams actually trying hard to win. TFC must really dig deep to beat America. If there is any MLS team that has a chance at beating America, TFC is a good one.
Agreed. I feel like without Morris Seattle might have the worst chance. I mean now they have the pace in Bwana but at the same time, we still have Bruin starting, who don’t get me wrong, great MLS player but these games are really making me wish we signed Derlis.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
RB scored five goals on the best defense in Mexico... including a 2-0 win in Mexico. What an accomplishment.

I really hope the final ends up being RB vs TFC.
Honestly I do too. I want the final to be two of the remaining MLS teams so we can stop hearing about how much better Mexico is.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
What about the 6000 crowd in Harrison???? America are still the team to beat. And if one MLS team wins it's still the exception to the rule. Mexico has been dominating MLS teams for fun for years.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
What about the 6000 crowd in Harrison???? America are still the team to beat. And if one MLS team wins it's still the exception to the rule. Mexico has been dominating MLS teams for fun for years.

It was a weeknight with freezing temperatures (we were projected to get a snowstorm up where I live, and given we just had 2 storms that devastated the area and affected rail service I wasn't going to chance it by going down and sold my ticket to a friend a few days before) with us facing an unfancied opponent in a tournament with no exposure (see the lack of an English language broadcast of the games) and that people in this country don't really take seriously. The semifinal vs Chivas (let's be honest:Seattle has no chance tonight) will sell out for sure.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Seattle had 42 000 for their game and Toronto have great crowds and Montreal tremendous crowds a couple years ago.

If the weather is fine there will be no excuses next round.

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Seattle had 42 000 for their game and Toronto have great crowds and Montreal tremendous crowds a couple years ago.

If the weather is fine there will be no excuses next round.
Noting the exceptions to a rule doesn't instantly make the exceptions the rule. And I'll just point out that two of them were outside the US so it's fair to say they are quite likely an outlier in MLS.

HajdukSplit

Nov 9, 2005
NJ
Seattle got rocked in Guadalajara, two first half injuries didn't help their cause plus not having Lodeiro with them.

So two MLS vs. Liga MX semifinals with the winner of America-Toronto being clear favorites in the final. Not sure what to think of the Red Bulls chances, Chivas are not doing well in league play and they didn't look great in Seattle either, but they will practically have two home games

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Seattle got absolutely hammered in Mexico. It seems some people have spoke too soon about the rise of MLS. Unless Toronto can win it all it will still be a huge Mexican clubs domination over the region.

It can still be America-Chivas final also.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Seattle got absolutely hammered in Mexico. It seems some people have spoke too soon about the rise of MLS. Unless Toronto can win it all it will still be a huge Mexican clubs domination over the region.

It can still be America-Chivas final also.

Another person ignoring the Red Bulls... RBNY faced the best defense in Mexico... shut them out 2-0 in Tijuana and won the return leg 3-1.

RBNY... the only team that DID NOT LOSE IN MEXICO. No respect.

Reactions: sabremike

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I just don't like the Harrison New Jersey New York Red Bulls... Also watching games played in front of empty stadiums isn't great viewing. That being said they played well and have a good shot in the 1/2 but I would prefer seeing Toronto-Guadalajara in the final or another Mexican final...

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
I just don't like the Harrison New Jersey New York Red Bulls... Also watching games played in front of empty stadiums isn't great viewing. That being said they played well and have a good shot in the 1/2 but I would prefer seeing Toronto-Guadalajara in the final or another Mexican final...

So edgy bro - do less

Basement Cat

Frank Drebin
Nov 3, 2008
Hoboken, NJ
Our new friend is so quick to dismiss the obvious success of MLS teams in this year's edition of the CCL that he failed to mention that Seattle was without its best player last night - better than anyone on Chivas too may I add.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ

OMG geography AND attendance jokes in one post? You've just gone through the entire NYCFC songbook! Congrats!

sabremike

Dr. K Forever!!!
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Well at least I know where they play.
We play closer to New York than Chicago plays to Chicago (Bridgeview), Philly plays to Philly (Chester), Salt Lake to Salt Lake (Sandy) and Dallas to Dallas (Frisco, which is like 50 miles (!) from Dallas). And if you've seen Blood Money FC's futile attempts to get a stadium in the city you'd know why Harrison was literally the only option for a soccer stadium in the area.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
Colorado Rapids- Commerce City, 11.3 Miles outside Denver
FC Dallas- Frisco, 28.3 Miles outside Dallas
LA Galaxy- Carson, 16.6 Miles outside Los Angeles
Real Salt Lake- Sandy, 14.1 Miles outside Salk Lake City
Sporting Kansas City- Kansas City Kansas, 16.0 Miles outside Kansas City MO
Chicago Fire- Bridgeview, 14.7 Miles outside Chicago
Philadelphia Union- Chester, 20.1 Miles outside Philadelphia
New England Revolution- Foxboro- 28 Miles outside Boston

NEW YORK RED BULLS- HARRISON NJ, 11.4 Miles outside NYC
NEW YORK CITY FC- BRONX NYC, 11.4 Miles from WTC

Here's a list of teams and the distances away from what Google Maps says is "center of city" that they claim to represent or nearest urban area.

Red Bull Arena is a 20 minute PATH Train ride from the World Trade Center. Only four stops.

The geography discussion is LAZY and TIRED. 90% of the NYCFC fans that talk about geography can be seen on their Facebook pages sporting Giants and Jets stuff too. It's much easier to accept that the NY in RBNY represents the NY Metro Area which Central/North NJ is included in.

Why don't we talk about the fact that RED BULL has given us maybe the most beautiful soccer specific stadium in the United States. They have poured a ton of money into the youth program which has a footprint all over NJ and NY while providing NO COST programs for kids. They have also built a hell of a team that is going to be competitive for a very long time.

To dismiss this team because of their location or their branding just makes you look daft. Check the team out and realize they employ maybe one of the most attractive styles of soccer this league has ever seen.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
We play closer to New York than Chicago plays to Chicago (Bridgeview), Philly plays to Philly (Chester), Salt Lake to Salt Lake (Sandy) and Dallas to Dallas (Frisco, which is like 50 miles (!) from Dallas). And if you've seen Blood Money FC's futile attempts to get a stadium in the city you'd know why Harrison was literally the only option for a soccer stadium in the area.
The Giants, Jets, and Red Bulls couldn't get a stadium in NY.... so here we are with NYCFC spending another year in a baseball stadium on a tiny lopsided field while not having a new home. Yet their fans won't stop trash talking the Red Bulls while refusing to realize their team is headed for a similar fate. Just wait til they finally get a stadium somewhere on Metro North or out in Long Island. Or how about what is going to happen to them when David Villa leaves? They have no youth system or structure to bridge the gap til the next DP is signed. Let's also remember that they have seen a 25% drop in attendance in a consistent decline since they played their first game and have lost thousands of season ticket holders. But hey... the Red Bulls are in NJ!

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I agree with you, the thing is all those teams have attendance issues as well. At least your stadium is nice...

As for the MLS progress we will see how the 1/2's go, if it's again an all Mexico final then it's still the same domination.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->