MLS Thread: Enter Zlatan

Status
Not open for further replies.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Are TO fans any better?

Flares and throwing stuff at players while taking corners?

As the title says with the Uniteds everything about the MLS is so pathetic wanna be European that I am not sure any pathetic aspect is better/worse than the others.

TFC supporters are first class. Loud and authentic...

Reactions: The ORB

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Just now got back from the game.

Wow.

What a feeling, after being at last year's heartbreaker.

Actually missed Jozy's goal because I was in the mile-long line for the bathroom. But I knew they'd add a second, and I was not disappointed. Seattle never seemed to generate much, from nearly the get-go it was just one TFC chance after another.

The GO train I took to the game had some loud Sounders fans on it.....I have to think it was a pretty quiet ride home for them.

Reactions: maclean

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Are TO fans any better?

Flares and throwing stuff at players while taking corners?

As the title says with the Uniteds everything about the MLS is so pathetic wanna be European that I am not sure any pathetic aspect is better/worse than the others.

I was pretty impressed by the singing and fandom in general at the final. First MLS game I've watched though, so can't compare to elsewhere. Flares are part of football. Throwing stuff... well, I don't take part but if we're comparing, I would say it's 'authentic' anyhow.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
I was pretty impressed by the singing and fandom in general at the final. First MLS game I've watched though, so can't compare to elsewhere. Flares are part of football. Throwing stuff... well, I don't take part but if we're comparing, I would say it's 'authentic' anyhow.

Throwing streamers (if that's what you mean by throwing stuff) has been part of TFC supporters culture since opening day. I'm surprised people are making such a big deal about it in 2017...it was a very big deal during TFC home games in the inaugural season (back in 2007) especially when LA came (with Beckham)...but MLS made it very clear they have no issue with the streamers.

They actually had a bigger problem with opening day and the seat cushions which people threw onto the pitch after Dichio scored...those are what MLS considered "projectiles" and MLS served TFC a notice (do's and dont's) of what is allowed and what isn't. TFC haven't had a problem since 2007 opening day.

MapleLeafistan

Oct 5, 2017
Victoria, BC
Isn't Toronto the last Canadian city with championship even before Toronto FC?
Or did Habs last Cup win come after Blue Jays?

Habs won the cup in June 1993 I think.
Blue Jays won the World Series in October 1993.

Technically, Toronto is the last Canadian city to win a major sports championship by about a few months.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Throwing streamers (if that's what you mean by throwing stuff) has been part of TFC supporters culture since opening day. I'm surprised people are making such a big deal about it in 2017...it was a very big deal during TFC home games in the inaugural season (back in 2007) especially when LA came (with Beckham)...but MLS made it very clear they have no issue with the streamers.

They actually had a bigger problem with opening day and the seat cushions which people threw onto the pitch after Dichio scored...those are what MLS considered "projectiles" and MLS served TFC a notice (do's and dont's) of what is allowed and what isn't. TFC haven't had a problem since 2007 opening day.

"Throwing stuff" was a quote from the previous poster. Not sure what he was referring to. Personally I am relatively used to the eventuality of a plastic cup or two being thrown when the ref's being a dick, though I vastly prefer when they're not full or at least don't spray beer over everyone.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
Then why are you posting in this thread then?

Because I saw an offside goal and was wondering how in a final it was allowed to stand.

But that's fair enough I am more than fine not commenting on the MLS and ignoring. It has been tough with the way TSN has been shoving it down Canadians throats trying to hype up their team but I will go back to ignoring the MLS and leave its fans to discuss what they want.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
How about a fake goal in a Stanley Cup Final? Bring your trolling elsewhere.

People pay good money to see TFC play all year with 30K+ crowds while the Argos wouldn't even draw that many people if they paid them to come...

As an Impact fan I hate TFC and especially the cheating clown Giovinco (who proved again why he failed in Europe) but they played to win and they won, the crowd was great and Seattle did absolutely nothing. Overall the playoffs have been boring this year.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Shows all that you know about the MLS. You seriously ruined any chance of people taking you seriously.
I've been a Metro/Red Bulls STH since 2001 and will say that MLS is no more relevant in the US than the CFL is in Canada. If someone on the MetroFanatic board hadn't posted something I would've had no idea the final was taking place yesterday.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
I've been a Metro/Red Bulls STH since 2001 and will say that MLS is no more relevant in the US than the CFL is in Canada. If someone on the MetroFanatic board hadn't posted something I would've had no idea the final was taking place yesterday.
Could be, I just know that TFC drew 10 times the hype for their finals compared to the Argos.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
The CFL was more popular before, now it's mostly only in Regina...Like I said TFC has 30 000+ while the Argos have about 3000 fans per game showing up...

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The CFL was more popular before, now it's mostly only in Regina...Like I said TFC has 30 000+ while the Argos have about 3000 fans per game showing up...

The CFL does well in Calgary, Edmonton, Winnipeg and Hamilton as well.

Anyways as someone who started this off my point was calling the CFL irrelevant as an MLS fan is pretty hypocritical as overall both are pretty irrelevant in the sporting culture and definitely 2nd tier sports in Canada, Toronto included.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
The only teams in the CFL who don't draw are the Argos (because Toronto thinks they are "too good" for the CFL) and BC (Because they went into the toilet). Montreal is also struggling but that's because the team is a dumpster fire. Ottawa has never failed to sell out a game in their short history. My Cats usually sell out the Tim. The Alberta teams get good crowds. And Winnipeg also draws and have one of the nicest football stadiums on the continent.

sabremike

Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So the expansion protection lists came out and for Metro Connor Lade wasn't on it. Jesse Marsch has repeatedly said other teams have inquired about obtaining Lade. My question: knowing that they weren't going to protect him and lose him for nothing why wasn't he traded for MLS funny money? Unless there's some deal with LAFC under the table this makes no sense.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Ottawa went from a 30k stadium to a 24k stadium, the same for Hamilton. Edmonton went from 40k average 10 years ago to probably under 30k now. Calgary never sells out and Winnipeg this year had many games with 10 000 empty seats. Montreal is in danger and for many years now have trouble getting 20k in a perfect downtown setting. The league is in a huge decline. Just look at the Grey Cups attendances for the last few years.

Ottawa had 50k in 2004 and barely 36k this year.
Toronto went from 53K to 31k last year.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Soccer in on the rise, football not so much in Canada...The problem is that MLS just can't get it right.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad