MLD11: Mickey Ion Preliminary Round: Tidewater Sharks (4) vs. Laval Titan (5)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Tidewater Sharks

Coach: Fr. David Bauer
Captain: Cecil Blachford
Alternate: Moose Goheen
Alternate: Don Lever
Alternate: Mickey Redmond

Starting Goalie: Jean-Sebastien Giguere
Backup Goalie: Cam Ward

Moose Goheen - Oldrich Machač
Barry Ashbee - John Van Boxmeer
Kjell Samuelsson - Dolly Swift
James Stewart

Dubbie Kerr - Marc Savard - Mickey Redmond
Red Hamill - Bill Thoms - Cecil Blachford
Don Lever - George Gee - Claude Larose
Dave Trottier - Peter Zezel - Al MacAdam
Moose Watson - Shorty Green

Laval Titan

Head Coach: Lindy Ruff

Captain: Jamie Macoun
Assistant Captains: Slava Bykov

Valeri Kamensky - Slava Bykov (A) - Andrei Khomutov
John Ogrodnick - Don Raleigh - Jimmy Ward
Rejean Houle - Wayne Merrick - Jamie Langenbrunner
Kelly Miller - Mike Ridley - Scott Mellanby
Dave Schultz, Jason Allison

Brian Engblom - Jamie Macoun (C)
Alexei Gusarov - Gary Galley
Mario Marois - Miroslav Dvorak
Warren Godfrey

Jim Henry
Ed Johnston​

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I once again have assembled a below average team? At least you guys don't think it's the worst this time.

I put too much effort into this thing.

At least I drafted three all-star team members.

Leafs Forever

Jul 14, 2009
I didn't think so.

The division rankings were close; for example, VanIslander didn't vote either of the division winners in his top-3. It's anyone's game.

VanIslander

A 19-year ATDer on HfBoards
Sep 4, 2004
South Korea
I thought these were two of the top three in their division, so I have a lot of good things to say about each squad. But in a series against each other, I see certain competitive advantages and disadvantages.

I.

Titan has the Soviet KBK line, which would usually give them a clear edge, but on the road they'll likely see a lot of the Sharks' stellar top pairing Goheen-Machac. If Tidewater had a more consistent starter this would be a wash. Slight advantage to Titan.

Titan has the Merrick championship checking third line, but it's a bit wasted against a Tidewater team that doesn't have all its eggs in one basket, in fact, the Sharks second line may lead the team and the back line can produce. To this point, the defensive-oriented top pairing of Laval has no big line to take out. Seriously, it's like Titan has a big strong shield to try and stop a swarm of bees, or in this case, Sharks. No advantage here.

Titan's clear advantage comes in clutch scoring and championship experience.

II.

Tidewater is lacking a top level offensive defenseman to quarterback the powerplay and will live or die with Goheen in this regard, a great rusher for sure. But this is not a disadvantage here as their opponent also lacks such a player. Special teams won't be a deciding factor in this series.

The Sharks have to be a wild card to win the division - or get bounded early. Two Conn Smythe goalies who can bring their 'A' game, but haven't always. A U.S. amateur and an injury-devastated blueliner among the top-3 defenseman is not a recipe for confidence. Four lines of scoring without much grit or nastiness, though responsible play may keep Schultz from dressing up for Laval but can Kjell provide enough mustard to offset Mellanby and a scrappy Titan blueline with Macoun, Galley, Marois all liking the rough stuff. At best, the higher seed could draw a lot of penalties by refusing to fight.

The Sharks have a balanced depth and peak excellent goaltending as competitive advantages in the series.

It could go either way. And it could be a sweep or require a deciding seventh game. A hard series to be sure about.

Last edited:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I
Tidewater is lacking a top level offensive defenseman to quarterback the powerplay and will live or die with Goheen in this regard, a great rusher for sure. But this is not a disadvantage here as their opponent also lacks such a player. Special teams won't be a deciding factor in this series.

Four lines of scoring without much grit or nastiness, though responsible play may keep Schultz from dressing up for Laval but can Kjell provide enough mustard to offset Mellanby and a scrappy Titan blueline with Macoun, Galley, Marois all liking the rough stuff. At best, the higher seed could draw a lot of penalties by refusing to fight.

The defence can score. Dolly Swift, who as far as I can tell played every skater position, led the 1890's in goal scoring according to Hockey Notes. Van Boxmeer is decent offensively as well (two seasons where he scored over 60 points).

I completely disagree my team is soft. They may not fight or play dirty, but they won't be intimidated.

Al MacAdam
During his playing days, MacAdam was also respected as a tough and capable fighter "who many left alone" in the words of Clark Gillies of the New York Islanders.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Al_MacAdam

Red Hamill
played with enough grit to earn him ice time up until the 1950-51 season.
http://www.legendsofhockey.net/LegendsOfHockey/jsp/SearchPlayer.jsp?player=12828

Barry Ashbee
He was no goon but he was a tough guy who never shied away from a collision or a fight.
Opponents quickly learned that Ashbee knew when to play the angle and when to take the body. When he had an opponent lined up, he doled out punishing body checks. If he had to go down to block a shot, he willingly took a puck in the legs or chest to prevent a scoring chance. The Flyers goalies appreciated Ashbee's ability to clear out the traffic without screening them.
http://flyers.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=435619

Oldrich Machac
Machac was considered to be a very tough player who excelled with his fine physical play.
http://www.azhockey.com/Ma.htm

Dolly Swift
Swift and Young clashed whenever Quebec and Ottawa met, their most famous set-to coming during a February 23, 1895 match in l'Ancien Capital. On this night the two men put on a most barbaric display that resulted in the Quebec club's suspension for the rest of the season and playoffs.
http://www.hockey-notes.com/1800_hockey_dollyswift.html

I don't have a quote, but based on Dave Trottier's PIMs (high of 94 in 48 games) he was likely gritty as well

Last edited:

Hedberg

MLD Glue Guy
Jan 9, 2005
BC, Canada
I think that the forward groups are very close in this series. Home ice will be key in the matchup game which is the main advantage I see my forward group having over Laval's.

Tidewater's goaltending is superior. Yes both netminders are inconsistent, but Giguere has put together two playoff runs, one of which is certainly among the greatest of all time. Sugar Henry strikes me as a very mediocre starter.

The defense is the biggest difference between these two clubs. Engblom is clearly the best defender on Laval while the other 5 regulars are similar in talent levels, most of them falling into the category of tough, character guys.

On Tidewater, Moose Goheen, while a US amateur was also a Hall of Fame player. Machac is the perfect match to Goheen's puck rushing game as he's a tremendous defensive defender at the MLD level who's tough and provides some offence. Barry Ashbee has a higher peak than any defender on Laval with a 2nd team all-star nod. Dolly Swift on the third pairing is one of the best depth scorers in this series and is paired well with the tough Kjell Samuelsson. While Swift was often a forward, he also played rover and defence and there is little to suggest he'll be a liability.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad