MLBtv Questions

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Since this forum has great baseball fans I thought I'd ask about MLB tv. I had it for a few months back in 2011 and another month in 2013 but not since.

1. I am wondering if there are certain pricing deals that are offered at different points of the season? Should I go month to month and wait for one or buy the full year? I do remember it being expensive after tax in Canada.

2. How many GB am I looking at using per month, not using mobile, purely wifi, if I average a full game per day? I follow a lot of teams, when the Yankees, Angels, D-Backs, Rockies, Twins, etc are on I will be watching one of them.

I'd love some feedback, I know it's early but there may be deals early that I've missed in the past so I'm bringing it up now.

Last edited:

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I get a yearly subscription which ends up costing me $150ish. I can do it monthly but it's cheaper yearly. Not sure if they have any offers mid year/season. If you keen on watching baseball on most days it's well worth it.

Can't answer #2 since I've got unlimited but guessing it'd suck up fair bit.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
The price this year is like $115 for a year. It's a pretty good deal and they only games that are blacked out are your local games, the local Fox game, and the ESPN sunday nighter. It's not like the NHL where all the national games and on NHL Network are blacked out so that's nice.

As for the second question, I've been wondering that too.

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
If you can wait until Father's Day, thats when I will renew, price is usually like $25 for the rest of the year. It's a great service but at full price knowing how often they will heavily discount it later, I will resort to streams until one pops up.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I pay the extra to get the tv package, which comes with MLB.tv as well. I noticed that MLB.tv is about a minute and a half behind my tv.

Yes, the price does drop on a per game basis later in the season, but I would just go for it before the season starts. It is cheaper to go for the full season than monthly.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
w/r/t data, isn't netflix like 3 gigs an hour in hd? so by that, if you're watching a cubs game with contreras behind the plate the whole game should be about 29 gigs. something like that.

Reactions: IU Hawks fan

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
If you have T Mobile you can just get it for free.

Hopefully we get this again. But as a heads up, I learned the hard way about a restriction last year.

In 2016, used it on my phone and my AppleTV no problem. Tenant used it on his AppleTV, no problem. But last year, he used my login on his phone (AT&T) and T-Mobile flagged my account and canceled the MLB.TV subscription.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
Hopefully we get this again. But as a heads up, I learned the hard way about a restriction last year.

In 2016, used it on my phone and my AppleTV no problem. Tenant used it on his AppleTV, no problem. But last year, he used my login on his phone (AT&T) and T-Mobile flagged my account and canceled the MLB.TV subscription.

I don't know how many people actually get caught, but you're technically not allowed to share your subscription.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I don't know how many people actually get caught, but you're technically not allowed to share your subscription.

I'm certainly aware, figured at least I was keeping it in my 'household' to a certain degree. But wanted to give a heads up in case anybody else found themselves in a similar spot.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Looks like I'll just get the full year and try to stream HD at school as much as possible and use a lower quality at home.

With Rogers I get the NHL Gamecenter live but rarely use it, incredible quality when I do but I would much rather have the baseball subscription free.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I know this doesn't help the OP's situation, but I'm curious if this glitch still works for anybody else:

Back in the day, I would order NHL Center Ice through Time Warner. Time Warner had a ~dozen channels dedicated for Center Ice, but would reuse those same channels for MLB Extra Innings. Typically I'd get authorized for those channels through June (presumably the end of the NHL season), so I'd get half-season of MLB Extra Innings for free. One year, I distinctly remember that it wasn't shut off until August.

I switched to NHL.TV around 2011/2012, so I haven't tried that out recently.

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
Any advice when it comes to browsers or settings to watch on? Anything that optimizes quality or decreases bandwidth would be great.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I know this doesn't help the OP's situation, but I'm curious if this glitch still works for anybody else:

Back in the day, I would order NHL Center Ice through Time Warner. Time Warner had a ~dozen channels dedicated for Center Ice, but would reuse those same channels for MLB Extra Innings. Typically I'd get authorized for those channels through June (presumably the end of the NHL season), so I'd get half-season of MLB Extra Innings for free. One year, I distinctly remember that it wasn't shut off until August.

Verizon has the NHL and MLB on the same channels. I'm probably getting Extra Innings again, so I'll get Center Ice for the last two weeks of the season.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010

It still worked in 2016 when my parents had Center Ice. They'd get the MLB Extra Innings for most of the season for free.

Inkling

Same Old Hockey
Nov 27, 2006
Ottawa
pepper your angus for Blackouts. Blackouts everywhere.....

Not in Canada, thankfully. The Jays should be blacked out throughout Canada but the last two seasons they and Rogers have agreed to lift blackouts so we get every last game on MLB.tv. It makes it well worth the $120 or whatever it costs these days. I haven't heard it confirmed that there will be no blackouts again this year, but I am assuming that it is the same case.

Muddy Wilbury

Flyers Fan in Ottawa
Apr 3, 2002
Ottawa, ON.
I buy it as soon as they offer the 50% off deal. In past years that occured 1 month into the season. This year they waited until Father's Day... $49.99 USD.

Anyway, does anyone know how to access the Ballpark Sounds audio option? The only instructions I've found this year are: "Alternate audio options for video are found in the video player settings menu (*)". Unfortunately, I haven't been able to locate this option (I watch via Roku TV).

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Anyone else with a Roku have problems with MLBtv buffering after several innings? I can watch the first six or seven innings of a game fine, then it starts to buffer enough that it makes the game unwatchable. I'm on a very fast internet connection so I don't think that's the problem, since I can stream anything else just fine.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Anyone else with a Roku have problems with MLBtv buffering after several innings? I can watch the first six or seven innings of a game fine, then it starts to buffer enough that it makes the game unwatchable. I'm on a very fast internet connection so I don't think that's the problem, since I can stream anything else just fine.

looking on twitter, it appears its been a big problem for many people.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->