OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Sanchez will be a top 3 catcher offensively in the game throughout his career and may go on to have an all time career offensively as a catcher. His issue has been and will continue to be defense. He has a great arm and he's decent at framing, but he has shown some major lapses keeping the ball in front of him. If he can be a consistent blocker, he can be truly great.
He'll truly be great even if he never learns how to block.

If he learns how to block well, he'll be generational.

Reactions: Inferno

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I feel bad for Raf Montero, having a torn UCL and needing TJ, but Christ am I glad we won't see him pitching in any games this year.

What happened to that guy? He was a strike-throwing machine. Good stuff with great control. Was it pitching in Vegas? Did that ruin him? Anyway, I'm sure sometime next year the Mets will DFA him.

Reactions: jas

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
Mckinney strikes again. Tyler Austin with a good day. Need more from Drury.

Monty had a great pitch count. Only had one shaky inning but he worked his way out of it. He will only get better imo.

German was strong again. He is going to make the team. Maybe he mixes in a start here and there.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
German is gonna be that guy who ends up being much better than anyone expected isnt he?

Its spring so that isn't a great barometer for future success, but he looked more than solid during his appearances last year too.

Reactions: GregSirico

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Judge, Sanchez and Severino were all highly thought of. Didi was on a bunch of top 100 lists at one point too.

I'm thinking of someone coming out of nowhere like Cano.

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
I feel bad for Raf Montero, having a torn UCL and needing TJ, but Christ am I glad we won't see him pitching in any games this year.

What happened to that guy? He was a strike-throwing machine. Good stuff with great control. Was it pitching in Vegas? Did that ruin him? Anyway, I'm sure sometime next year the Mets will DFA him.

I assumed a spot in the rotation for him too a few months ago just off of the weakness/uncertainty of everything after Jake and Noah :laugh:

He was terrible but he was actually on the mound which is apparently the only requirement for the pitching staff.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Judge, Sanchez and Severino were all highly thought of. Didi was on a bunch of top 100 lists at one point too.

Remember when Cano was supposed to be a contact hitter?

Then he showed up for camp in 2009 looking like the Incredible Hulk ate John Cena and started swatting line drives into the right field seats. What a player.

Reactions: Inferno

darko

Feb 16, 2009

And we almost lost him in A-Rod trade. Rangers chose Jaquin Arias over Cano.

MysticLeviathan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 7, 2013
He'll truly be great even if he never learns how to block.

If he learns how to block well, he'll be generational.
By truly great, I meant generational. I mean his offense is generational, his arm is elite, but he can get better. I just hope he can keep up the offense.

GregSirico

KakkoSZN
Jan 3, 2012
Atlanta
twitter.com
German is gonna be that guy who ends up being much better than anyone expected isnt he?

Its spring so that isn't a great barometer for future success, but he looked more than solid during his appearances last year too.
He was thought of highly pre Tommy John, I think he can be a very nice bullpen arm or 4/5 starter.

RGY

Kreid or Die
Jul 18, 2005
Long Island, NY
I want German to be a starter.

I think Chance Adams is the guy who becomes a very good bullpen arm. A better version of Warren imo

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Think I just saw that Wheeler was optioned to AAA. That's good. He has been shit this spring and literally hasn't been a good pitcher since 2014. He's too frail to pitch out of the pen. Now it's just a matter of who takes that extra spot--personally I'd go with Lugo, but I'd be fine giving Gsellman another shot. I just think Gsellman is better-suited to bullpen work than Lugo, both in terms of their stuff and also considering Lugo's arm issues.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's better than whoever will be the 5th starter, but these reactionary decisions are made for Spring Training where there's an emphasis to make the games mean something. First it was Matz who was going to be demoted, then he has a few good games at the right time and Wheeler has a few bad starts at the wrong time. Too bad we won't get the rotation we actually needed to compete. First bad decision by Callaway. If you are going to hold players to their spring training stats, why not do it for Reyes, Frazier, Gonzalez who suck? Why do it to a player who could actually play at a Major League level? And while we're at it, Matz spring was really not any better than Wheeler, pitched well right before the roster was finalized. Dumb strategy.

Last edited:

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
German looks promising as a starter. No need to keep him up to pitch mop-up role. He'll be the first guy called up when one of the starters get hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad