OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Not that Ramirez is some great player, but it's gonna be funny when Pedroia is on the DL again in ten minutes and the Red Sox gave up an MLB player for nothing.

Reactions: Bozle

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Why would the Mets be acquiring him? He's what at this point, a 1B? Maybe an OF? We have a 1B in Gonzalez who is playing somewhat passably, and his platoon partner would be Flores. In the OF, they have Bruce, Conforto, Nimmo who is breaking out, Cespedes coming back plus Joey Bats, who is our current over-the-hill waste of a roster spot. There's not even anywhere for Hanley to play. Even if you thought he can still play 3B, the Mets have that covered with Flores and Guillorme until Frazier is back.

I know this would be one of those "haha the Mets suck and always sign trash" things, but there's no need for Hanley. The only way I'd do it is if I first disposed of Bautista.

JimmyG89

May 1, 2010
No reason for the Mets to go out and get Hanley. There are some teams that will be all over the 550K once he gets released. No way he gets traded with that salary and incentive based on ABs.

I'm not sure if he left on good terms, but you'd have to think the Dodgers would be in on him. Move Bellinger to the OF with Kemp and Puig and play Hanley at 1st. They cannot score right now. He'd at least be somewhat helpful.

Brooklyn Rangers Fan

Change is good.
Aug 23, 2005
Brooklyn & Upstate
Why would the Mets be acquiring him? He's what at this point, a 1B? Maybe an OF? We have a 1B in Gonzalez who is playing somewhat passably, and his platoon partner would be Flores. In the OF, they have Bruce, Conforto, Nimmo who is breaking out, Cespedes coming back plus Joey Bats, who is our current over-the-hill waste of a roster spot. There's not even anywhere for Hanley to play. Even if you thought he can still play 3B, the Mets have that covered with Flores and Guillorme until Frazier is back.

I know this would be one of those "haha the Mets suck and always sign trash" things, but there's no need for Hanley. The only way I'd do it is if I first disposed of Bautista.
Wasn't at all a dig at the Mets.

Granted he's in an awful slump right now, but he was amazing to start the season, he's only 34, and as recently as 2016 had a 30HR, 111RBI season. I think he'd be an upgrade on the Mets' 1B platoon. *shrug*

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
No reason for the Mets to go out and get Hanley. There are some teams that will be all over the 550K once he gets released. No way he gets traded with that salary and incentive based on ABs.

I'm not sure if he left on good terms, but you'd have to think the Dodgers would be in on him. Move Bellinger to the OF with Kemp and Puig and play Hanley at 1st. They cannot score right now. He'd at least be somewhat helpful.

I read in an article on ESPN that the big option based on AB's disappears. If that's what you were even referring to.
Wasn't at all a dig at the Mets.

Granted he's in an awful slump right now, but he was amazing to start the season, he's only 34, and as recently as 2016 had a 30HR, 111RBI season. I think he'd be an upgrade on the Mets' 1B platoon. *shrug*

I know from you it wasn't a dig at the Mets.

As far as Hanley the player, he had a negative WAR two of the past three years and sports one this year as well. I know he had a good year a couple years back, but there's a pretty clear trend in his overall performance. Again, if we dropped Bautista I'd say maybe it's worth a shot, but as guys get healthy I don't think we have room for two reclamation projects. And while Joey Bats is older and probably less likely to suddenly turn it around, he's at least versatile.

Machinehead

GoAwayKakko
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I read in an article on ESPN that the big option based on AB's disappears. If that's what you were even referring to.

I know from you it wasn't a dig at the Mets.

As far as Hanley the player, he had a negative WAR two of the past three years and sports one this year as well. I know he had a good year a couple years back, but there's a pretty clear trend in his overall performance. Again, if we dropped Bautista I'd say maybe it's worth a shot, but as guys get healthy I don't think we have room for two reclamation projects. And while Joey Bats is older and probably less likely to suddenly turn it around, he's at least versatile.

What do you think the Mets need to go from where they are now (solid) to contending?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->