OT: MLB Thread - Part XIX: Yankees Hire Boone. Joe Buck Still Unenthused

Status
Not open for further replies.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
He's great at getting on base, but does it offset adding even more stikeouts to this lineup?

Upgrade on Gardner, no question.

Who cares he's a young player with very good upside about to enter his prime. You are confusing guys who strikeout to guys that are 2 outcome hitters.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Shin Soo Choo struck out at same rate as Marcel Ozuna. Age difference aside i know which one I'd take.

Reactions: Go Away Staal

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Don't really see the need for a Gardner Replacement when the team has Clint Frazier and Ellsbury with 3 years left on his deal still. Ozuna will cost an arm and a leg.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
Don't really see the need for a Gardner Replacement when the team has Clint Frazier and Ellsbury with 3 years left on his deal still. Ozuna will cost an arm and a leg.

Don't want Ozuna anyways. Flawed player who benefited from high BABIP. He'll regress.

Ozuna is the type of player Machinehead is advocating against.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Castro and Hicks are the best candidates to be replaced in my opinion. Preferably with guys who can get on base and steal bases to diversify the offense.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad

Frazier really struggled in LF when he played there. LF is arguably tougher to play than CF in Yankee Stadium.

Ellsbury will be gone. Yankees will eat a bunch of money to make it happen.

Who said anything about Ozuna though?

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
Callaway seems like a good hire. I've read lots of things that say the "smart" baseball people think he'll be a great manager, a forward-thinker who also has a great personality. Eager to see what he can do.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
christian Yelich has a lower career strikeout rate than Mike Trout. what are you guys talking about? and he strikes out at a rate lower than league average. Yelich is a great player, not sure why Marlins would move him. Also, Yankees have a logjam in the outfield with Frazier, Hicks, Judge, Gardner

Reactions: DanielBrassard

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014
What about the rotation? Does Tanaka opt out? If he does do you negotiaate at all with him or let him walk? What about CC? Do they land generationally touted Otani?

Sevy-Gray-(Tanaka?)-Montgomery-Chance Adams/Cheap vet like Garcia?

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
christian Yelich has a lower career strikeout rate than Mike Trout. what are you guys talking about? and he strikes out at a rate lower than league average. Yelich is a great player, not sure why Marlins would move him. Also, Yankees have a logjam in the outfield with Frazier, Hicks, Judge, Gardner

Fireeeee sale!

I would move Frazier for Yelich. Gary Denbo loves Clint Frazier.

Let Gardner and hicks battle it out for CF playing time.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Callaway seems like a good hire. I've read lots of things that say the "smart" baseball people think he'll be a great manager, a forward-thinker who also has a great personality. Eager to see what he can do.

It's almost impossible for anyone to be worse than Collins was this past season. I mean, with a better manager I legitimately think that team goes 77-85. That's a large gap and rarely will a manager cost or gain you 7 wins but I felt he did this season

Reactions: nyr2k2

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
It's almost impossible for anyone to be worse than Collins was this past season. I mean, with a better manager I legitimately think that team goes 77-85. That's a large gap and rarely will a manager cost or gain you 7 wins but I felt he did this season
At least Collins understood he was managing the Mets. Mickey Callaway calls the Mets one of the greatest franchises in the world. Not sure he realizes which NY team hired him. :naughty:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York

I read he communicates with the players well, which is exactly the opposite of what the media reported about TC.

Reactions: nyr2k2

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Watching the Callaway press conference right now. This guy says the right things, but he hasn't yet experienced a day in Panic City (as his GM called it) when one his pitchers has a "sore arm" and might need TJ surgery. Lets see how he deals with all of it. I hope he changes the Mets culture, but its not likely that anyone can.

DanielBrassard

It's all so tiresome
May 6, 2014
PA from SI
Castro and Hicks are the best candidates to be replaced in my opinion. Preferably with guys who can get on base and steal bases to diversify the offense.
Hicks does get on-base. Problem with Hicks is he's still got to prove himself. He's had 400 really good PA's in his career. If he is as good next year as this year he is a borderline all-star.

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Hicks does get on-base. Problem with Hicks is he's still got to prove himself. He's had 400 really good PA's in his career. If he is as good next year as this year he is a borderline all-star.
He did very little in the second half and playoffs. Is the real Hicks the guy from the first half of the season or the guy that he's been the rest of career? I don't trust him personally.

GoAwayPanarin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 27, 2008
In High Altitoad
Hicks barely played in the 2nd half, if we're going to be fair.

He had a good DS and a crappy CS. That goes for a few other guys as well (Gardner, in particular, Judge was the reverse.)

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Hicks has been a decent player outside of his garbage 1st year with the Yankees and has an elite skillset (5-tool player).

He was 3.9 bWar/3.3 fWar in only 89 games played Lol, draws walks at a great clip and is borderline elite defensively. Yankees fans are getting spoiled or are underrating him.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Been using the Mets in RBI 17. Beasting it up with Flores but I can't get a hit to save my life with Conforto. This is not ok.

Hicks has been a decent player outside of his garbage 1st year with the Yankees and has an elite skillset (5-tool player).

He was 3.9 bWar/3.3 fWar in only 89 games played Lol, draws walks at a great clip and is borderline elite defensively. Yankees fans are getting spoiled or are underrating him.

I think it's just because he had a raunchy second half compared to his first off.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
FWIW a friend of mine sees Francessa fairly often at his job and he told him last night Girardi likely will be dismissed today or tomorrow and that that he's not coming back. Let's see what happens. I'm thinking it can't occur before the end of the month because the league generally doesn't want personnel announcements once you reach the World Series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad