MLB The Show coming to Xbox, other platforms as soon as 2021

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Good. The fewer exclusives the better. The Show is a great franchise. One of the few games I preorder every year. They have BY FAR the best iteration of the Ultimate Team mode. Working the market is easy and enjoyable, most players are actually accessible without any real money being spent, and players change ratings based on their real life performance so you might get like five copies of a young player at the beginning of the season that are essentially worthless, but then they start playing really well and their card gets better and better as they go. That’s the way to do it. You don’t have to pull a special edition of the card or anything, their original card just increases its overall. They also have a great mix of former players and legends in the game as well.

Road to the Show is quite fun, too, but I don’t spend nearly as much time on it.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Good. The fewer exclusives the better. The Show is a great franchise. One of the few games I preorder every year. They have BY FAR the best iteration of the Ultimate Team mode. Working the market is easy and enjoyable, most players are actually accessible without any real money being spent, and players change ratings based on their real life performance so you might get like five copies of a young player at the beginning of the season that are essentially worthless, but then they start playing really well and their card gets better and better as they go. That’s the way to do it. You don’t have to pull a special edition of the card or anything, their original card just increases its overall. They also have a great mix of former players and legends in the game as well.

Road to the Show is quite fun, too, but I don’t spend nearly as much time on it.
Is their franchise mode still really good like it used to be or has their Ultimate Team mode ruined it like the EA games?

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Thank god.

My player in NHL (the entire game too, really) has been hot garbage since 14 came out so it's exciting to have a game with a my player mode to look forward to.

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Interesting. Not a baseball fan, but these are great games. If a PC version comes out, I might check it out.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Is their franchise mode still really good like it used to be or has their Ultimate Team mode ruined it like the EA games?
I don't really play franchise mode, but I've not heard great things about it. In their trailers it is almost never a point of emphasis, so I imagine it hasn't seen nearly the improvements that Ultimate Team and Road to the Show have seen. It has probably fallen into the same trap as Madden and NHL have(and probably FIFA, but I've never played a FIFA game, so I don't know.) They focus on what brings in continual revenue rather than the one time purchase modes. I can understand it from a business perspective, but it does greatly diminish the overall product for a lot of players who would really enjoy those modes if they were any good.

Reactions: bleedblue1223

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
Was about time. The Sony exclusive had been pissing people off.

Now add franchises moving to the franchise mode.

huh? Why would anyone be pissed about that? Were these people upset you couldn’t play Halo on PlayStation too? This has happened forever where companies don’t put their own games out on rival systems

Reactions: McRpro

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010

I also haven't heard the best things about it, but RTTS and Diamond Dynasty blows anything NHL20 currently has. I just bought a PS4 for this game alone, so I can't wait to play it. Sucks I bought a PS4 now with it coming to multi-platforms, but I can't even wait for my PS4 to be delivered, let alone until 2021 when the game hits xbox.

Diamond Dynasty (I think it's the equivalent of HUT) looks like an incredible amount of fun and is a mode you can grind to get a good team - and the grind is actually fun.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
huh? Why would anyone be pissed about that? Were these people upset you couldn’t play Halo on PlayStation too? This has happened forever where companies don’t put their own games out on rival systems

There are absolutely zero good or even decent baseball games on Xbox

Reactions: Roman Fell
Sep 19, 2008
I'm fine with it on ps only but an interesting point I heard through podcast is that expanding it from ps to all the systems helps raise exposure for baseball which has been sagging amongst the youth

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I'm fine with it on ps only but an interesting point I heard through podcast is that expanding it from ps to all the systems helps raise exposure for baseball which has been sagging amongst the youth

Playing NHL 2K5 and EA NHL 07-09 was one of the single biggest things that got me into hockey. It actually made it A LOT easier for me to be able to track the puck on TV and understand what was going on. So much so that I was able to explain things to people watching with me who had little to no idea of what was happening during games.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
There are absolutely zero good or even decent baseball games on Xbox

Right... but why would it be Sony’s job to make sure there’s a good game available for someone who didn’t buy their console?

It definitely makes sense for baseball, but why would Sony put the MLB’s best interest above their own if it’s going to potentially hurt their console sales? There are people who went PS4 over XBone because of The Show after all. It makes you wonder if the MLB might have forced their hand with the license extension

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Right... but why would it be Sony’s job to make sure there’s a good game available for someone who didn’t buy their console?

It definitely makes sense for baseball, but why would Sony put the MLB’s best interest above their own if it’s going to potentially hurt their console sales? There are people who went PS4 over XBone because of The Show after all. It makes you wonder if the MLB might have forced their hand with the license extension

It's not. It's probably the game developers making that decision and it's really sucked for people who couldn't play. Not being able to play a good MLB game is not the same as PS users not being able to play Halo or Xbox users not being able to play Uncharted. There are plenty of other options there for everyone.

With baseball games, no one else stepped up on the xbox end of it so if you had an xbox you were SOL if you wanted to play a baseball game. I'm not saying it was immoral or anything, or that Sony has an obligation to anyone. Just saying that it sucks if you don't have a PS and as a Xbox user i'm really happy to hear this news

Reactions: Roman Fell

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad