MLB The Show 18

misterchainsaw

Preparing PHASE TWO!
Nov 3, 2005
Rochester, NY
What's with the stolen bases? I suck at both stealing bases and catching would-be stealers. Since there's only one slider for stealing bases (both for human and CPU), I don't know how to set it up to get the most fair setting. For stealing bases, should I just barely pull the left trigger? Sometimes I get a good jump, most of the time I don't. That's why I lead the league in caught stealing. SMH. Or should I hold the trigger until the pitcher makes the pitch?
I'm not sure about the controls, because I only play Road to the Show and I'm pretty sure the stealing mechanic is different, but for me the biggest determinant on whether I can steal or not is how quick the pitcher is to the plate. I have a guy with good but not great speed/stealing stats, and I'm around 80% successful, but I have to pick my spots. If the pitcher slidesteps, turn around and get back to first if you can, because if you can't you're meat.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
How long is it taking people to get called up to the big league? I was pretty disappointed to stay on the triple A roster for a second year (third total).

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
How long is it taking people to get called up to the big league? I was pretty disappointed to stay on the triple A roster for a second year (third total).

I think it depends on organizational depth. I spent about 3 seasons in the minors (one year split between AA and AAA, and the last two in AAA), and the fact that I was stuck behind multiple highly rated outfielders definitely factored into that.

Eventually I was traded from the Padres to Tampa, who then gave me a shot at the majors, and then promptly traded to Detroit (given more at bats so I'm not really mad). I think if you spend a year in college, or tell your agent that you're not happy in the minors, or want a trade, then I think it may help speed up the process. With that said, you're not likely to get called up in the first two years unless your organization has crappy depth at a position (maybe someone out there has had a different experience who can chime in?)

Side note: Who else hates the music in this game? That song by Nombe drives me nuts.

The Head Crusher

Re-retired
Jan 3, 2008
Edmonton

I am in my second season and just got the call up after spliting the first season in AA/AAA. I started the season in the bull pen in AAA, then got the call up to the Show for Pittsburg's rotation.

Sep 19, 2008
Almost impossible to hit home runs in this game on RTTS. Screw it. Just going to hit bloop singles

Sep 19, 2008
I think it depends on organizational depth. I spent about 3 seasons in the minors (one year split between AA and AAA, and the last two in AAA), and the fact that I was stuck behind multiple highly rated outfielders definitely factored into that.

Eventually I was traded from the Padres to Tampa, who then gave me a shot at the majors, and then promptly traded to Detroit (given more at bats so I'm not really mad). I think if you spend a year in college, or tell your agent that you're not happy in the minors, or want a trade, then I think it may help speed up the process. With that said, you're not likely to get called up in the first two years unless your organization has crappy depth at a position (maybe someone out there has had a different experience who can chime in?)

Side note: Who else hates the music in this game? That song by Nombe drives me nuts.

The first thing I do in any MLB The Show game is mute all the music and announcer commentary on the menus.

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
So I make it to free agency on my closer, sign a big $72M/6 year deal with the Angels and a week later they trade me to the Marlins. :laugh:

To be fair, once the Marlins see your contract details they’ll probably trade you again

Dogewow

Such Profile
Feb 1, 2015
Almost impossible to hit home runs in this game on RTTS. Screw it. Just going to hit bloop singles

If your contact and power are rated high enough then you should be hitting a decent amount. Currently set up as a power hitter and I’m sitting at about 20 HRs per year as a second year pro.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
What's with the stolen bases? I suck at both stealing bases and catching would-be stealers. Since there's only one slider for stealing bases (both for human and CPU), I don't know how to set it up to get the most fair setting. For stealing bases, should I just barely pull the left trigger? Sometimes I get a good jump, most of the time I don't. That's why I lead the league in caught stealing. SMH. Or should I hold the trigger until the pitcher makes the pitch?

Just tap it. They steal automatically. If you hold it down, it’s damn near impossible to figure out the timing

It’s definitely longer this year. 2-3 years sounds about right

I’ve found the opposite. This has been the easiest year for me to hit home runs in RTTS

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I started in the bigs in my second year on my new SP.

Currently 15-1 with league leading ERA as the long man, but somehow Danny Barnes(aka a 21 stamina RP) is the #2 starter in the rotation haha.

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
I don't know what difficulty level I was playing on since it asked me to choose a favorite team again before I continued (my power went out the other day while I was playing...). I had a perfect game through nine innings with 19 strikeouts, and the manager took me out. :rant:

Reactions: Nickmo82

Oscar Acosta

Mar 19, 2011
Wedge all the way for PCI.

Thing that’s always drove me nuts for these games is being punished for first pitch swinging. Why should I have to take a strike? I get working the count is ideal but if someone floats a changeup down the middle I should be able to smash that instead of popping out or easy ground ball.

McDNicks17

Jul 1, 2010
Ontario
I think I broke my RTTS.

Got to free agency on a 97 overall SP. The most any team would offer me was $1.1M per year. Guessing it's because I used a saved roster with realistic salaries, so no one had the budget.

Didn't accept any offers, went to the Mets(who somehow had Vlad Jr. and Acuna) training camp and signed a 1 year/$500k deal. Won 20 games and the Cy Young. Let's see if I get paid this time.

Last edited:

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
For my first guy, a SS, I had to beg to get traded away from an under-performing Blue Jays team (to a rock bottom Giants team... ugh).

For my second guy, SP, I've been traded 2 times already and i've only just started my second year. Weird. Mets > Royals > Cubs.

Oh well. I only need to pick up an MLB win as a pitcher and I platinum the game, so fun times.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I think I broke my RTTS.

Got to free agency on a 97 overall SP. The most any team would offer me was $1.1M per year. Guessing it's because I used a saved roster with realistic salaries, so no one had the budget.

Didn't accept any offers, went to the Mets(who somehow had Vlad Jr. and Acuna) training camp and signed a 1 year/$500k deal. Won 20 games and the Cy Young. Let's see if I get paid this time.

You won’t. The contracts are broken this year. I simmed a career to see what was new in the game and I was a 99 overall, and the highest salary I ever signed for was like 950k. The biggest contracts you can get in this years game come from arbitration. Your team offers you like 600k, but you can win an arbitration case for like 8-12 million

Belieber

The Nuge is huge
Jun 23, 2016
vancouver
I think this is the best version ever. I’ve had it for a while but haven’t had a chance to play until the last few days and it’s a truly impressive game.

Nickmo82

Mar 31, 2012
Japan
I was one pitch from a perfect game! One pitch and the guy lined it into left. Unbelieveable.

To make matters worse, I got yanked. Didn't even let me finish the game.

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
I was one pitch from a perfect game! One pitch and the guy lined it into left. Unbelieveable.

To make matters worse, I got yanked. Didn't even let me finish the game.

That sucks. I had that happen to me once in a 0-0 game, and the next pitcher came in and gave up a home run, so not only did I lose my perfect game, and then my 1 hit shutout, but I got a freaking loss out of it.

It’s annoying that they often pull you in that scenario. Especially considering it’s RTTS, and you’re probably the team’s Ace.

Reactions: Nickmo82

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
As someone mentioned I think it’s your hitter profile because I have a power hitting 1b and mashed 4 hr’s in my first series in AA.

EDIT: As for the stealing debate. I used to just click it and let the computer steal. But I would use Dee Gordon and after a while he started to get thrown out a lot. I switched to holding it down and releasing at the pitchers first move and started to be more successful.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->