MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Hosmer had a great year in 2017, no doubt but with the abundance of much much cheaper 1b options out there it makes no sense to break the bank on someone like him. Votto, Goldy, Freeman, Rizzo... sure. Go ahead and spend big. You know what you're gonna get every year and they are MVP type candidates. Hosmer is a secondary piece who had by far his best year of his career this season. I'm not writing a blank cheque for that.

DougieSmash

WE'RE IN! WE'RE IN! YES! YES! WOO!
Jan 2, 2009
hosmer is the most overrated player in the league. so much intangibles, he could barely put season with more than 0.1 WAR more often than not. "elite defender"... i mean, we talk about 1B, not andrelton, arenado or machado.

Reactions: Belieber

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
I like Hosmer. He gets on base, is a decent run creator, and let's face it, good defensive first basemen get crucified literally for playing first base. Like, what is he supposed to do?

That said, is he worth the ask? Definitely not.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I like Hosmer. He gets on base, is a decent run creator, and let's face it, good defensive first basemen get crucified literally for playing first base. Like, what is he supposed to do?

That said, is he worth the ask? Definitely not.

Hosmer has been super inconsistent during his career in terms of getting on base. Good one year. Bad the next. It doesn't seem to be a repeatable skill for him. A career .342 OBP is fine but it's not anything to hang your hat on. If he doesn't continue to put up decent power numbers that he's been able to do the last couple of seasons you have a very average player on your hands. I'm not spending 20+ mil per year on a player like that.

Somebody will absolutely shell that out for Martinez.

He's an elite hitter.

He's going to turn 31 midway through next season. I've got no problem with the 30 mil per year but I'm not giving it to him for 7 years. 4-5 years would be my max on a guy like him as he's not overly athletic so I could see him falling off a cliff around age 34-35.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
Hosmer has been super inconsistent during his career in terms of getting on base. Good one year. Bad the next. It doesn't seem to be a repeatable skill for him. A career .342 OBP is fine but it's not anything to hang your hat on. If he doesn't continue to put up decent power numbers that he's been able to do the last couple of seasons you have a very average player on your hands. I'm not spending 20+ mil per year on a player like that.

He's going to turn 31 midway through next season. I've got no problem with the 30 mil per year but I'm not giving it to him for 7 years. 4-5 years would be my max on a guy like him as he's not overly athletic so I could see him falling off a cliff around age 34-35.

Don't disagree. I'm not saying he should get it. I'm saying he will get it.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
I assume the 'Stros thinking is if they sign Lucroy, they can trade Gattis and have McCann DH for the last year of his contract.

Yeah, probably something like that. McCann can catch when Lucroy needs a day off. Won't likely get a lot for Gattis... but they don't need a lot and with Beltran retiring there is some flexibility there. Trade him for some bullpen arms. Gattis is still a useful bat for someone I'd think.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Yeah, probably something like that. McCann can catch when Lucroy needs a day off. Won't likely get a lot for Gattis... but they don't need a lot and with Beltran retiring there is some flexibility there. Trade him for some bullpen arms. Gattis is still a useful bat for someone I'd think.

In 2016 he had 32 HR 72 RBI and 2.6 fWAR in 128 games, theres no doubt they can get something decent for him. This year his numbers were down but he also only played half the season given Beltran/McCann took up the C/DH spots, and then between Reddick/Springer/Gonzalez/Marisnick the outfield was full.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad