MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Wonder what the Cards offered for Donaldson, and if they should've taken it. Do they really think they will be in the playoffs this season?

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
I don't know if it's in the best interests of the Jays to extend Donaldson at this point. By the time the Guerrero/Bichette core is ready to win I'd be doubtful that a highly paid Donaldson would help it all that much.

That said, if you're not going to extend him, the time to deal him was earlier this winter (or last July) and definitely before he went public about not signing an extension.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Yup. Shatkins shat the bed on this one with their wait and see bullshit. There was an expiration date on getting a good return for Donaldson and it has now passed. Trying to sell hope to the fans of "We're still competing in 2018. We are confident that Josh will be a part of the team going forward." when it is completely counter intuitive to the future of the team.

If the Jays surprise on do well in 2018 that's great but they should be aiming for 2-3 years down the road when Vlad Jr, Bichette are ready and maybe some of their young pitching. Getting a good to great return for Donaldson would have helped with that tremendously. Now we are either going to sell him off for peanuts or lose him for a comp pick.

You can't be half pregnant. If they were really going to try to compete this year then they should have done more than get Yangveris Solarte and others like him. If you're going to aim for 2020 then get the best returns you can for your expiring contracts. It's not that f***ing tough to figure out.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
you guys really thought donaldson would sign and not become a free agent?

once machado comes off the market next year, donaldson is going to be the best third baseman on the market. why wouldn't he test it?

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON

once machado comes off the market next year, donaldson is going to be the best third baseman on the market. why wouldn't he test it?

Oh I never thought he'd sign. I mean unless the Jays paid him 25-30 mil per year for 5+ years and we all knew they weren't going to do that. I just really don't get why they didn't trade him. Like I know it would piss off fans but at least you could sell it to them and it would ultimately be a good move for the club. Now they will lose him for nothing, the team will be worse and fans will be even more pissed.

Filthy Dangles

Registered User*
Oct 23, 2014

Contention is a huge factor for JD. Blue Jays are heading in the wrong direction and his a huge factor in him testing the waters.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Yup. Shatkins shat the bed on this one with their wait and see bull****. There was an expiration date on getting a good return for Donaldson and it has now passed. Trying to sell hope to the fans of "We're still competing in 2018. We are confident that Josh will be a part of the team going forward." when it is completely counter intuitive to the future of the team.

If the Jays surprise on do well in 2018 that's great but they should be aiming for 2-3 years down the road when Vlad Jr, Bichette are ready and maybe some of their young pitching. Getting a good to great return for Donaldson would have helped with that tremendously. Now we are either going to sell him off for peanuts or lose him for a comp pick.

You can't be half pregnant. If they were really going to try to compete this year then they should have done more than get Yangveris Solarte and others like him. If you're going to aim for 2020 then get the best returns you can for your expiring contracts. It's not that ****ing tough to figure out.
Jays will still compete for the second wild card position with the Angels, Mariners and Twins imo. Doesn't really make sense to blow up a team that can still make a run.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Jays will still compete for the second wild card position with the Angels, Mariners and Twins imo. Doesn't really make sense to blow up a team that can still make a run.

It does when the field is tougher than the last 3 years and your team is older and worse. The chances of the Jays making the playoffs let alone doing any damage is very slim. Yankees, Red Sox, Indians, Astros basically have spots locked up. Yes. Things can happen but they have all improved or stayed more or less the same in the case of the Indians.

Clinging to the hope of the second wild card spot makes no sense. It's the type of thing where if you make it great but it's nothing to bank on or build your team around.

Twins, Mariners, and Angels have all gotten better while the Jays are just praying on health and depth to keep up with the pack. Selling high ish on JD was the smart move for the future. It's fine if the Jays wanted to go for it this year but if that was the plan then they should have done a hell of a lot more than what they did in the offseason.

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Not subscribed this year (thanks Nutting), but last year I remember every televised Pirates ST game being available on MLB.tv, which was in the neighborhood of 7-10 games if memory serves me right.

Thanks! I was hoping they would have games because I need my fix. I can’t wait.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Contention is a huge factor for JD. Blue Jays are heading in the wrong direction and his a huge factor in him testing the waters.

No it isn't. He said he's willing to be the face of the team while they retool.

But once again Shatkins strikes and the team manages to alienate its best player.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Watching the spring training game this afternoon between the Phillies and Toronto. Glad to see actual baseball back on.

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
The Marlins have been a team to go cheap a lot. I remember after they won the 1997 World Series how they broke the team up, hoping the grievance will go a long way towards curbing things like that from happening.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Honestly surprised it took this long. The Marlin's have been doing this since the early 2000s, and the Pirates had a stretch before McCutchen got good where they had a sub- 30 mil payroll. I sort of get it for the A's and Ray's, but Sternberg and Fisher probably don't want to invest any money when they might not own the teams in a couple years (Fisher if he can never figure out a stadium solution in the Bay Area, Sternberg when he inevitably drops the façade about building a new home in Tampa and sells to Montreal).

Quid Pro Clowe

Dec 28, 2008
f*** that. The A's already had their small market money taken away from them and the league hasn't done shit for them wrt getting a new stadium deal in place.

Do I wish the A's spent more? Yeah. A guy like LuCroy would be a vast upgrade on the bums they're trotting out at the C position this year, but with a stadium falling apart, next to nothing in tv deal revenue, and a group of young players that will be due raises sooner than later, they have no real incentive to spend right now.

Reactions: Terry Yake
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->