MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bjorn Le

Hobocop
May 17, 2010
Martinaise, Revachol
Most small market teams like the Pirates and Indians probably net 10-30 million per year. Then you have big market teams like the Mets who net $40M+ and the Yankees who push $100M

People forget that revenue splits are revenue splits, teams don't net anything until they pay their stadium costs, travel expenses, staff salary, minor league system costs, etc etc

Nah. I bet the Pirates were top five in profit when they were sporting a sub-30 mil payroll. Payroll is by far the biggest expense and teams that spend the least are going to make a ton. The reason there Indians will have a low profit is if they’re spending a lot.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
I doubt we see a work stoppage. I think you'll see some signings as spring training starts.

It’s gonna get real close. It may be like a 2002 scenario where it’s averted minutes before it’s going to begin.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
I doubt we see a work stoppage. I think you'll see some signings as spring training starts.
of course there won't be a work stoppage, it's ridiculous to even think that's a possibility. There will be a lot of signings but what's most interesting to me is who doesn't sign. With the numbers of unsigned right now there will have to be some who aren't on a team opening day. If you think there's whining now from players & agents, wait until that day comes

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
of course there won't be a work stoppage, it's ridiculous to even think that's a possibility. There will be a lot of signings but what's most interesting to me is who doesn't sign. With the numbers of unsigned right now there will have to be some who aren't on a team opening day. If you think there's whining now from players & agents, wait until that day comes

I think the poster indicated a work stoppage in 1-2 years whenever this CBA is up. Not immediately

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
the last two world series champions tanked pretty openly.

the pa forgot to get any language w/r/t tanking in the most recent cba.

up next: the owners get their international draft. tony clark gets each dugout an extra bucket of bubble gum.

Yeah, you’re never seeing an NHL or NBA style draft in baseball. The season is simply too long. You aren’t forcing a team to draft 8th instead of 3rd when their players and staff had to toil through 2-3 miserable months of playing virtually every day when they knew they were out of contention. It’s not just ownership you take things out on by making a change like that but also any of the players or staff who signed their long term thinking we are going to suck for 2-3 years and then hopefully be able to draft ourselves into a better position

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i meant the international draft in terms of entering all non-us players into a pool, slotting the picks with dollar values and forcing teams to draft them instead of signing them like they always have.

owners want it because there's more cost certainty.

Reactions: Voight

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
No, I meant right now. Given how things are at the moment a work stoppage could happen when the CBA expires. I still think signings are going to happen as spring training starts and teams still have holes to fill.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
phillies owner

Yeah I looked it up after, but point is I'd never heard his name before seeing it here. Fans don't know owners unless it's a big name who's been around a long time. I'm honestly not sure I can name more than half the owners in baseball.

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
Anyone know if Craig Mish is reliable? He's reporting that the Astros are looking at Realmuto. Marlins asking for Tucker. Astros are considering it. 50 % chance he's traded by opener.

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
Anyone know if Craig Mish is reliable? He's reporting that the Astros are looking at Realmuto. Marlins asking for Tucker. Astros are considering it. 50 % chance he's traded by opener.

Same guy that says Washington and Miami were in discussions and Marlins wanted Robles

He's been spot on most of the time for Marlins

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
I’m pretty sure he’s in on Marlins news before a lot of people. @PanthersPens62
Same guy that says Washington and Miami were in discussions and Marlins wanted Robles

He's been spot on most of the time for Marlins

OK, thanks for the response guys. He also went onto say later on that someone from the Marlins said the story regarding the Astros side was not accurate but he stands by his source. So is the Marlin representative saying it's not Tucker they're after or it's not Astros at all that had interest? Not sure why they wouldn't want Tucker after trading their OF's. Unless they want Whitley. Hell no to Whitley. Astros refused to trade Tucker for Verlander and Cole. Should the Astros trade Tucker for Realmuto?

hockeykicker

Dec 3, 2014
OK, thanks for the response guys. He also went onto say later on that someone from the Marlins said the story regarding the Astros side was not accurate but he stands by his source. So is the Marlin representative saying it's not Tucker they're after or it's not Astros at all that had interest? Not sure why they wouldn't want Tucker after trading their OF's. Unless they want Whitley. Hell no to Whitley. Astros refused to trade Tucker for Verlander and Cole. Should the Astros trade Tucker for Realmuto?

the marlins are currently asking for the top prospects. im not familiar with the astros prospects but they wanted realmuto for robles 1 for 1 and nats said no. not sure if they are interested in a package of other prospects

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
the marlins are currently asking for the top prospects. im not familiar with the astros prospects but they wanted realmuto for robles 1 for 1 and nats said no. not sure if they are interested in a package of other prospects
I don't know much about prospects as well but Tucker isn't near Robles range. From a variety of rankings, Tucker is usually in the 15 to 20 range(Fangraphs had him at 1o I think and Keith Law had him at 21). He's Houston's number 2 prospect.

Their number 1 prospect is Forrest Whitley. He is considered to be the 2nd best pitching prospect behind Ohtani. J.J. Cooper said it wouldn't surprise him if he's the best pitcher in hte 2020's. He has a filthy curve that gets players to strikeout. Apparently his goals for this season is to be healthy and pitch innings. Doesn't need to add another pitch, doesn't need to develop his control, or to learn to strike people out. IMO, I don't think they trade Whitley for anyone. With Keuchel or Morton potentially gone after next season and then Verlander in the following year, would be smart to keep a potential ace in him.

Other prospects that they could potentially trade are J.B. Bukauskas. Could either be a decent starter or a future closer and Yordan Alvarez. Think he has potential to be a power hitter but might be limited to only be a first basemen. Both I think are in top 100 rankings.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
I like Tucker probably a touch more than Robles. Tucker has middle of the order type of bat upside, a guy that will hit for both power and average. Bat speed and plate discipline. Robles has a great hit tool but lacks in power department compared to Tucker. Robles has the speed and athleticism to wreck havoc on the basepaths and play GG type defense. Robles deserves higher ranking as he's basically ML ready. I could see Tucker making the team out of ST but wouldn't be surprised if he spends half a season in AA/AAA.

Not a knock on Robles. I love both guys but taking Tucker is just a personal preference. Both great prospects.

darko

Feb 16, 2009
If I'm Astros .... Whitley is about as untouchable as it gets. Could be the next great pitcher.

Cheese Wagstaff

Dec 11, 2017
Loaiza arrested with with over 20 kilos of drugs

Former MLB pitcher Esteban Loaiza was arrested last week in San Diego and faces several felony drug charges, according to the San Diego Sheriff's Department.
Loaiza was arrested last Friday and is being charged with possession and transportation of heroin and cocaine for sale of over 20 kilograms and transportation/sell of narcotics or a controlled substance.
Loaiza's bail was set at $200,000 and he is scheduled to appear in court on Wednesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->