MLB off-season News & Notes thread (Phils sign Kingery to 6 year deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

robert terwilliger

the bart, the
Nov 14, 2005
sw florida
i guess i'm just not understanding what it is you said.

some idiotic gimmick poster suggested that he'd be happy that players are begging for scraps and you've compared it to people working for successful companies. mlb isn't a company. it's a league whose workforce is represented by a union. the money is brought in and doled out to the players but most is kept by the owners. i would rather a larger percentage of said money go to the people doing the work, not the people sitting in a luxury box.

GordonGecko

First Ping Pong Ball
Oct 28, 2010
New York City
the money is brought in and doled out to the players but most is kept by the owners

in MLB it's generally a 50/50 split (been ranging from 48% to 52% recent years), which by any other measure than pro sports is completely obscene. In most industries labor is about 20% of revenue, highest in general being 35% in the restaurant industry

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
You're talking on a team basis whereas I'm talking on a league basis. Mike Trout isn't replaceable.

It doesn't matter. All employees in all industries are replaceable, that was the original point. In some industries only a few are capable of replacing them and at the top their are even fewer.

You can't simply say that 40 HR guys are irreplaceable. It's not true. Not on any version of irreplaceable.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
It doesn't matter. All employees in all industries are replaceable, that was the original point. In some industries only a few are capable of replacing them and at the top their are even fewer.

You can't simply say that 40 HR guys are irreplaceable. It's not true. Not on any version of irreplaceable.

How many guys can you hire off the street to hit 40+ HR's? Of course they're replaceable. Just not with guys good enough to replicate who they're replacing.

And the business is centered around the best of the best competing against each other.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
How many guys can you hire off the street to hit 40+ HR's? Of course they're replaceable. Just not with guys good enough to replicate who they're replacing.

And the business is centered around the best of the best competing against each other.
Never said anything about random guys off the street. Very few jobs can be replaced by random people off the street. The fact that jobs require levels of skill are reasons why individuals across all industries can earn more money.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Never said anything about random guys off the street. Very few jobs can be replaced by random people off the street. The fact that jobs require levels of skill are reasons why individuals across all industries can earn more money.

Who are you hiring to replace the guys hitting 40+ HR's? AAAA guys?

And the vast majority of jobs can be filled with people off the street with a few months training.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Once again, you're looking at this on a team by team basis which I've already said I'm not.
And I'm saying it doesn't matter.

Players improve and decline constantly. Previously you used Judge as an example. Before last season, he wasn't a 40 HR guy, and now he is. Players are replaceable, and young players are constantly doing it.

Big Poppa Puck

HF's Villain
Dec 8, 2009
D-Boss' Dungeon
I'm all for the players getting paid, it's better than the owners keeping it all, but at the same time they have to stop being all butthurt that front offices are smarter now and between that and the luxury tax are less likely to give out stupid contracts.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Things are heating up...but not with FA signings

Oh joy, it reminds me of the labor wars I grew up with in MLB and the ones I endure in the NHL every seven years :P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad